Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, thus I wrote which grey countries are which.

There's more than ten grey countries :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Riso posted:

Yes there are industry specific minimum wages, but not flat universal ones. A metal worker and a hair dresser will have completely different starting wages.

The lowest negotiated minimum wage is obviously the universal minimum wage :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's more than ten grey countries :shrug:
Yes and the point of map was to show governmental position on minimal salary and not what trade unions or someone else does.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

The lowest negotiated minimum wage is obviously the universal minimum wage :v:

I think that's actually how they obtained a lot of those minimum wages, so I wonder why there are so many grey countries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are living on minimum wage you'll probably enjoy this map

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

steinrokkan posted:

This map is objectively wrong. "Nen bak cara", as it is called, costs approximately €3,43 at Colruyt. That's 24 bottles of 25centilitres! Assuming Belgium has a minimum wage of around 1500 euros, you could buy a bit over 437 "bakken cara", which is approximately 10495 bottles of beer, or about 2623 litres of cara pils per month.

EDIT: so if you're trying to break the world record of quickest liver failure, Belgium's the place to do it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The € 1 502 is before taxes. But they seem to be going by the average price for a lager in a bar. Problem is, Pintprice.com is definitely underestimating the real prices. For example, it has Leuven at € 1 whereas that would only be the case in the special student bars. If we assume that the true average price is € 1.8 across the country (admittedly just a guess but probably closer to the true value), then the calculation is:

1278.79/1.8 = 710.439

710 beers at the bar, so actually less than the 1028 on the map.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Didn't the Swedish ambassador do something shady about the Gripen trade?

steinrokkan posted:

What I'd really want to know is how many potatoes you can buy.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

The € 1 502 is before taxes. But they seem to be going by the average price for a lager in a bar. Problem is, Pintprice.com is definitely underestimating the real prices. For example, it has Leuven at € 1 whereas that would only be the case in the special student bars. If we assume that the true average price is € 1.8 across the country (admittedly just a guess but probably closer to the true value), then the calculation is:

1278.79/1.8 = 710.439

710 beers at the bar, so actually less than the 1028 on the map.

Yeah, but the map doesn't specify "at the bar". If you account for taxes you still buy like 350 bakken cara at Colruyt with that. Way more than a thousand beers.

EDIT: but going by my method, getting drunk in Europe is probably 4x cheaper than the map makes you believe.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 19, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, but the map doesn't specify "at the bar". If you account for taxes you still buy like 350 bakken cara at Colruyt with that. Way more than a thousand beers.

EDIT: but going by my method, getting drunk in Europe is probably 4x cheaper than the map makes you believe.

But you should first convert the small bottles into pints or at least half-liters!

Going by the cheapest beer available in supermarkets, the Czech number would be multiplied and climb over 1000 as well, and I suspect all other national scores would "improve" significantly as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The data are from pintprice.com, they're almost certainly using the price of a plain lager at bars.

I have long been aware that other countries are mostly dystopian hellholes where people pay out the rear end for beer. I don't even understand how it works from an economic point of view, all I know is that we're extremely lucky. Look at this, € 7.8 in Norway.

steinrokkan posted:

But you should first convert the small bottles into pints or at least half-liters!

Did the mapmaker even take that into account? Different sizes are customary across Europe.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 19, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The decadent west has turned something as rudimentary as yeast soup into a luxury item :alcoholictears:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

"Rathauz" :laffo:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
There's a Darkest Hour mod that lets you transform Hungary into Latveria complete with doctor doom as your head of state

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

Didn't the Swedish ambassador do something shady about the Gripen trade?

As far as I know he had private meetings with important Swiss politicians and convinced some of them to back the trade. I guess that his job, the problem was that he bragged about it in the press.

The Gripen vote is quite extraordinary for Switzerland, because until now all plebiscites against the military (e.g. less money or abolishment of the army) were rejected. This means even people who usually back the army were not convinced.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
From the scandinavian thread.

Erik Almqvist, former Economic spokesman of the (totally not racist) Swedish Democrats, defines "northern and central Europe - the region closest to him."
He's also known for threatening people with an iron pipe.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Fader Movitz posted:

From the scandinavian thread.

Erik Almqvist, former Economic spokesman of the (totally not racist) Swedish Democrats, defines "northern and central Europe - the region closest to him."

Wow, Sweden has its own Ironbar Tuckey!

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Tony Jowns posted:

Wow, Sweden has its own Ironbar Tuckey!

Yeah, He and two other SD MPs even filmed the whole thing themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPycz-tsrDM

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Fader Movitz posted:

Is there a reason he split up Great Britain like he did? Scotland would be, if anything, more left wing than England so is it a "used to be Vikings" sort of thing?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Chicken posted:

Is there a reason he split up Great Britain like he did? Scotland would be, if anything, more left wing than England so is it a "used to be Vikings" sort of thing?

Yeah it's weird, it might be the reason, but a large part of England as well as small parts of Ireland and France used to have Vikings as well so it's pretty uninformed if that was the case.

Here:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
My guess is that it's more of a rough outline, with the northern parts of Great Britain being seen as more culturally similar to Scandinavia than the south. (Industrious workers vs. pompous assholes.)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

I am really impressed by those huge swamplands on the eastern coast. Did they naturally silt up or were they drained?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I wonder about the Cornish; were they conquered and (if ever) assimilated into England far earlier than were the other Celtic peoples on the British Isles?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I wonder about the Cornish; were they conquered and (if ever) assimilated into England far earlier than were the other Celtic peoples on the British Isles?

Yes? The Romans conquered it, and it was already part of England during the Norman Conquest.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Chicken posted:

Technically the Normans were Vikings

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Technically the Normans were Vikings

Not even technically. Dudes were straight-up Vikings who gave Catholicism lip service so they could more freely attack any and everyone.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It is funny how the battle of Hastings is often presented as the last stand of the real English, being beaten down by the foreign invader, when both sides in that battle were actually Vikings. And both sides in the battle of Stamford bridge as well. So that whole war was a struggle between three vikings.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

I am really impressed by those huge swamplands on the eastern coast. Did they naturally silt up or were they drained?

The Fens (the area north of Cambridge on that map), at least, were deliberately drained, though it took until into the 1800s for the project to be completed. Similarly, the Somerset Levels in the west of the country were also deliberately drained starting as early as the Middle Ages.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Cornwall (and for that matter most of Devon) was rather dubiously controlled at best by the Romans. In the sub-Roman period, the whole peninsula became the quite Brythonic kingdom of Dumnonia, which after the arrival of the Saxons found itself driven further and further to the west. By the ninth century or so the whole area was subject to Wessex, but the eastern side of the Tamar (i.e. Devon) ended up much more Anglicized than the western side (i.e. Cornwall).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

It is funny how the battle of Hastings is often presented as the last stand of the real English, being beaten down by the foreign invader, when both sides in that battle were actually Vikings. And both sides in the battle of Stamford bridge as well. So that whole war was a struggle between three vikings.

Well, as I understand it, being a viking was a profession and not an ethnicity. But even if you go Norse = Vikings, I thought there were only two viking sides? Norwegians and Normans, with the "English" being Anglo-Saxons. Who were certainly no Celts, but no vikings either.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Well, as I understand it, being a viking was a profession and not an ethnicity. But even if you go Norse = Vikings, I thought there were only two viking sides? Norwegians and Normans, with the "English" being Anglo-Saxons. Who were certainly no Celts, but no vikings either.

It was basically the same people (and some extra dudes from the north) invading land conquered and occupied by their ancestors several centuries earlier.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 19, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Angles and Saxons are not considered Vikings and they migrated well before the Viking Age in any case. Harold II's mother was of Danish origin, though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well proto-vikings then.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Right, I did not think about that. So they were more or less the same ethnicity, but calling them vikings still seems wrong somehow.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Chicken posted:

He's a literal loving idiot.

Like, he's really, really loving dumb as poo poo. Could be him trying to find Sweden on a map, but, faced with the incredible complexities of a standard map, just settling for the general area. “The area closest to him” being in the geographical sense, and him figuring he's somewhere in the marked area, probably.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 19, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It was basically the same people (and some extra dudes from the north) invading land conquered and occupied by their ancestors several centuries earlier.
IIRC, Jutland was essentially emptied by the migration in the first map, and then filled back up by the Danes some centuries later. (For a given definition of "filled up". Much of Jutland was very sparsely populated until the middle of the 19th century.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Right, I did not think about that. So they were more or less the same ethnicity, but calling them vikings still seems wrong somehow.

It's wrong. 'Viking' refers to a specific social and economic structure within a specific historical context. It's not applicable to Anglo-Saxons, who also spoke a West Germanic language as opposed to the North Germanic languages spoken by actual Scandinavians.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wasn't so much referring to the people as the rulers. King Harold was pretty Scandinavian, whether he qualifies as a Viking or a Norseman or not.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Emanuel Collective posted:

There's a Darkest Hour mod that lets you transform Hungary into Latveria complete with doctor doom as your head of state

Haha, what's his trait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Buttery Pastry posted:

IIRC, Jutland was essentially emptied by the migration in the first map, and then filled back up by the Danes some centuries later. (For a given definition of "filled up". Much of Jutland was very sparsely populated until the middle of the 19th century.)

That's interesting, I never knew that. I always just assumed the ones that migrated to England were a small portion and most of them remained behind. What made so many of them want to move to England?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 19, 2014