Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Do sports portraits count?

PTA bout-39 by sildargod, on Flickr

PTA bout-68 by sildargod, on Flickr

PTA bout-82 by sildargod, on Flickr

For some reason my screen at work has utterly destroyed all the colour in these and made them look extremely grainy and killed all of my levels. Is it just my screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Hey I love my medium format but my fastest MF lens is 3.5 so I don't feel bad at all about dicking around with digital panoramas.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This talk of faux-MF panoramas has me thinking... I have a request to do a portrait for a client who wants to use a city street as the background. I have this great spot picked out that, that will have a nice "busy uptown district" feel to it, especially around sunset, where I'll get headlights, streetlights, and storefronts being all bokeh-tastic.

Thing is, she wants to be off to one side of the shot, not near the center, and in the style of a panoramic, since it's going to be the header for her website and I'm worried about getting weird side-of-the-lens distortion. Do you think it'd be smarter to just shoot the background myself, light her in a more controlled environment and composite her in with Photoshop and ReMask? Is there any trick to shooting a subject off-center in a wide shot without making them get all wonky in the shot? I was planning on shooting the background at 50mm on FF if that helps.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 5, 2014

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

that sounds like a lot of extra work.

you shouldn't get bad distortion on a 50mm and its fairly easy to correct in post.

alternatively you can basically shoot it as a panorama and stitch her in rather than compositing her into a wide shot.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

sildargod posted:

For some reason my screen at work has utterly destroyed all the colour in these and made them look extremely grainy and killed all of my levels. Is it just my screen?

Haven't seen the originals, but everything seems fine to me. They look good too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Did some shooting this weekend, including my first time using studio lights

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

triplexpac posted:

Pretty decent job for your first time, but I don't like what the shadows do to the shape of her face in this one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I find your unaligned verticals extremely triggering

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Well I think it's cool.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Too dark, in my opinion.
Love it. My question; The colors, did you tweak them?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
R.O.E. by TomOlson, on Flickr

We had the cops called on us because white people living in the middle of the country hate black people.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 7, 2014

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
My wife and I was drinking at a bar during the early afternoon - And while we did get incredibly drunk we didnt even got the cops called on us. I gues we're just not cool enough. :sad:

Anyway I was loving around with my camera and took this one of her which I think turned out pretty nicely. One thing that might've been good would be if I got both eyes in focus.

Louise og ĝllet by AFBK, on Flickr

Johnny Reb
Mar 9, 2013

I took this one for my photography class, we were learning off-camera flash, but I took one without using the flash, and I liked how it turned out. Here's one using the flash:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Been so busy with event-type gigs lately that I haven't been able to get into the studio and do anything creative. Had some available time last night, so I called up and a friend and asked "Want some new pictures?" No lights, minimal processing, just a cloudy day at 135mm f/2.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I dont like shooting people, but I think this one came out ok:

Strange places by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Johnny Reb
Mar 9, 2013

El Laucha posted:

I don't care for the excess ground at the bottom, but it looks really good!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

El Laucha posted:

I think this is extremely supercool, elongated crop and all.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop:

I took out my lighting equipment and got some practice trying to overpower daylight for an assignment, also did some shooting at night:
_MG_9551.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_9589.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 13, 2014

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Some album covers:

Unique Man by TomOlson, on Flickr

R.O.E. by TomOlson, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Loving "Unique Man", that's just an awesome photo. I was going through some of your Flickr stuff and was thinking "Huh, this guy's photos remind me of that game Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl"... then I realised, that's actually Ukraine, and it probably just looks like that over there.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Jimlad posted:

Loving "Unique Man", that's just an awesome photo. I was going through some of your Flickr stuff and was thinking "Huh, this guy's photos remind me of that game Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl"... then I realised, that's actually Ukraine, and it probably just looks like that over there.

:)

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Bit of a tangent, but I'd never seen your landscape, RangerScum. Some really nice stuff there, powerfully romantic quality to them.

Do these count as portraits?

I feel like they're missing something in terms of atmosphere. Maybe I've looked at them for too long.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Gazmachine posted:

Bit of a tangent, but I'd never seen your landscape, RangerScum. Some really nice stuff there, powerfully romantic quality to them.

I feel like they're missing something in terms of atmosphere. Maybe I've looked at them for too long.

Thank you very much!

As for your question of what they're missing- I think the second one is fine as is, but the first one is too bright. Not overexposed, but there's way too much light on the outside of the house or whatever. I'd have it be as dark as possible with the only light coming from inside the room and lighting up the edges of the building surrounding the window.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Yeah, it's too clean isn't it? I played with only a bit of lighting at first, should've stuck with it.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

That's such a real smile. I love it. She reminds me of a model I like to shoot with frequently. My only complaint is the dark line in the bottom-left edge of the frame.

Gazmachine posted:

I feel like what you're missing, particularly in the second one, is some contrast and perhaps some vignetting. The scanlines are cool, but the image doesn't feel distorted enough.

recline by loganrcorsaut

I know this is very very grainy. I was shooting in the dead of night, so I was at 1600 the whole time. I like the texture very much.

This model was excellent.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 16, 2014

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

here's a thing I did. vaguely nsfw depending on your w.

Also typing in BBcode makes me feel like a hacker.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

Well, that's awesome. Great light, great model, great energy. When do you graduate from Dorkroom?

These are some people pictures. I've started playing around with selectively applying color temperature, which I picked up from this guy, who is way better than I am.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Paragon8 posted:

Great series.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
From March, but it took me way too long to develop + scan + dust + process these negatives.

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 18, 2014

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thetzar posted:

Well, that's awesome. Great light, great model, great energy. When do you graduate from Dorkroom?

haha thanks. I'm a lifer. How can I leave a place where Ansel Autisms posts?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Great series.

Thanks. It's funny I spent nearly 600 bucks on studio hire and light rental and shot what I thought was my best work to date. Nobody wanted it, and then a set I shot in my living room of just a model friend with no makeup artist gets a tonne of attention. go figure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I graduated from college this week and took some class pictures:

12 by juliancallan, on

23 by juliancallan, on Flickr

2 by juliancallan, on Flickr

More up on Flickr. Used a coupe of Kino Flos and some dif, happy with the results.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What were these for again?

Why kind of mood were you going for because the lighting is just putting me off in a weird kind of way.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Paragon8 posted:

haha thanks. I'm a lifer. How can I leave a place where Ansel Autisms posts?

Thanks. It's funny I spent nearly 600 bucks on studio hire and light rental and shot what I thought was my best work to date. Nobody wanted it, and then a set I shot in my living room of just a model friend with no makeup artist gets a tonne of attention. go figure.

No pressure to perform usually results in better work, at least as you're getting your feet wet. Eventually you'll have the confidence to do the same kind of work with the pressure of having spent money on lights and studio rentals.

I'd be curious to see that other set though - it might just be that you had a MUCH better model for this shoot.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Why kind of mood were you going for because the lighting is just putting me off in a weird kind of way.

Yeah same. The lighting is really harsh and unflattering.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

1st AD posted:

No pressure to perform usually results in better work, at least as you're getting your feet wet. Eventually you'll have the confidence to do the same kind of work with the pressure of having spent money on lights and studio rentals.

I'd be curious to see that other set though - it might just be that you had a MUCH better model for this shoot.

http://www.smread.com/ first three and the ones with this model http://www.smread.com/lingerie#12

and http://www.smread.com/against-the-wall#3 and the next four after this.

I have no idea what to host images on since waffle images went down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just for people in the class to have. Not for anything professional.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Paragon8 posted:

http://www.smread.com/ first three and the ones with this model http://www.smread.com/lingerie#12

and http://www.smread.com/against-the-wall#3 and the next four after this.

I have no idea what to host images on since waffle images went down.

Yeah your model in the new set is a lot better, seems to be way more self confident and energetic. Also, your style of shooting probably benefits more from an off the cuff shoot than one in studio.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I think maybe it's the harsh light with shadows under the eyes, and somehow the catchlights give them a sort of glassy look. I think it looks pretty cool, but it's definitely more triumphant movie villain than happy graduate.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I graduated from college this week and took some class pictures:

12 by juliancallan, on

23 by juliancallan, on Flickr

2 by juliancallan, on Flickr

More up on Flickr. Used a coupe of Kino Flos and some dif, happy with the results.

I think you should stop cranking your contrast slider because it's loving up their skin tones and making them way too red.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

I agree with the comments about the colour. Here's a more neutral edit (hope you don't mind, will take it down if you do):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Definitely like that version better. Seems like it was a good shoot, maybe just got sucked a little deeply down the editing hole. I'd like to see it taken down even a little more, just to tame the hotspot on his cheek and teeth. I do really like the interaction between the background hue and the muted skintones, though.