Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I really regret not taking an IF now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Did we seriously lose all momentum?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah, the Tigers are up right now. Their clock doesn't expire until after 8pm Eastern, though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think weekends are gonna be slower, all it takes is a few people having busy weekends and 4 hours are blocked out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I will definitely be lowering the pick time starting in round five. I think we'll just go to three hours, though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like Adam Jones should probably be going way the hell before Alex Avila but y'know.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

MassaShowtime posted:

Like Adam Jones should probably be going way the hell before Alex Avila but y'know.

PECOTA/OOTP likes Avila, and catchers are more valuable than OFs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok well in a non video game bad simulator scenario then

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Sorry about using every minute of my clock. Weekend poo poo, etc. I was just stoked to see that I wasn't autopuntoed.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm going out of the country in two weeks,I hope I have an entire team by then.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Screen Door Slams posted:

PECOTA/OOTP likes Avila, and catchers are more valuable than OFs.

S'why I feel happy with Salvy Perez!

I hate feeling like "oh god everyone good is gone already", i've never done a draft with so many teams before.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

S'why I feel happy with Salvy Perez!

I hate feeling like "oh god everyone good is gone already", i've never done a draft with so many teams before.

yeah, it really makes you realize how few really good players there are in the MLB when it's only the 4th round and people are making picks like Alex Avila

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
There's a dude on the board that has already fallen far enough that I expect him to be the best value in the entire draft.

e: In real baseball, I don't know or care about OOTP.

e2: Miguel Sano is a Real Bad Draft Pick no offense

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 19, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

There's a dude on the board that has already fallen far enough that I expect him to be the best value in the entire draft.

Yeah, I was hoping to pick him up as a bench bat. I think OOTP think his power is MLB ready but he's going to hit like Mike Olt has this season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mornacale posted:

Why is he a bad draft pick if you know nothing about OOTP?

I've started 10-15 OOTP15 games and he's got ML ready talent in every single one. That's the game overrating him, not me. It would take a really pessimistic ratings distribution from IcePhoenix to make him not good.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 19, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I haven't touched the ratings. Sano is good. Maybe a reach but probably not much of one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren:Another Trade:siren:

Oakland Gets:
Minnesota 4th
Minnesota 18th

Minnesota Gets:
Oakland 4th
Oakland 23rd

I will pick as soon as angrygodofjebus confirms.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I've agreed to a trade with IcePhoenix. My 4th, 23rd for his 4th, 18th.

e: good timing! confirmed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sometimes you have to throw your draft plan out the window and take the BPA.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I would have taken him instead of Segura, but #NL

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I thought about taking him over Napoli because of "my plan" but I thought Napoli might be a slightly better defender and is also right-handed so I dunno.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

DETROIT MEOW CITY

Proudly BPA free!

Edit: Wait...this means I'm supposed to have a draft plan beyond "I LIEK PLEYAR. I PIKC PLAYAR"?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sexual Lorax posted:

Edit: Wait...this means I'm supposed to have a draft plan beyond "I LIEK PLEYAR. I PIKC PLAYAR"?

These are basically the best plans.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

tadashi posted:

I thought about taking him over Napoli because of "my plan" but I thought Napoli might be a slightly better defender and is also right-handed so I dunno.

Napoli is actually a solid defensive 1st baseman believe it or not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I personally am a good Mariner fan and add up the WARs before I draft my players.

Also, I like the Ortiz pick. I was considering him or Lowrie and decided to go with the premium position player and Lowrie has good seasons hampered by injury. No injuries should mean he's kinda valuable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I still think Desmond is better than Lowrie but I think they're more or less identical in value in the game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I still think Desmond is better than Lowrie but I think they're more or less identical in value in the game.

Yeah, they are actually pretty similar players. I don't think the gap between them is all that large. That being said, I was very pleased to get Desmond here. A middle infield of Cano/Desmond is pretty great.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Two picks! I am almost assured to get one of the two guys I am targeting...

:ohdear:

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
My plan is basically "at least don't suck at pitching", which is why I've spent 3/4 picks on starters.

I'm the Marlins. I have nowhere to go but up.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

For anyone with questions about the Jayson Heyward pick, the Cubs originally drafted him, before changing it like 30 minutes later to Napoli. So yes, you did see him drafted, but he wasn't actually drafted.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

For anyone with questions about the Jayson Heyward pick, the Cubs originally drafted him, before changing it like 30 minutes later to Napoli. So yes, you did see him drafted, but he wasn't actually drafted.

Alright, thanks for clarifying that Llama.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Hurray I can sleep. Hope it wasn't a dumb pick.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

:toot:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress, I was going to go back and switch out Wilson for Heyward 5 minutes after i picked but I wasn't sure if that would be kosher.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

As someone who is following along but not participating... it seems like once you post a pick it should be binding.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Most drafts I've been in, it's been ok to change as long as the next person hasn't picked which is why I swapped mine.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

tadashi posted:

Most drafts I've been in, it's been ok to change as long as the next person hasn't picked which is why I swapped mine.

This is the way we usually do it.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Fair enough! Haven't seen you guys do this style draft before, hoping I can be quick enough to get in next time :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

This is the way we usually do it.

Yeah, I never really said that a pick was binding so I'm ok with switching as long as the next pick hasn't happened. I think that's part of the reason that not discussing players that haven't been drafted yet is a thing. If I said "lmao you picked Segura with Ian Desmond and Jed Lowrie on the board" and the next team hadn't picked yet then it's an easy swap. If I don't name names then they might just overlook the players still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Harlock posted:

Why is he a bad draft pick if you know nothing about OOTP?

He's a bad pick because he hasn't played an inning above AA and his K rate there was 30%, the dude is not ready for MLB. The point of the thread is to draft the best baseball team, not to game OOTP's rating system.

• Locked thread