Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh man wouldn't it be great if the Durkon thing unraveled way earlier than everyone expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hah. That's pretty funny.

It looks like Thor isn't happy about Durkula.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Brannock posted:

Oh man wouldn't it be great if the Durkon thing unraveled way earlier than everyone expected.

But what could they do about it, realistically? How much worse for Durkon to see his friends go "welp, guess trying to stop world-ending poo poo is worth allying with the horrifying spirit inhabiting the body of our friend"?

It's not as if they're necessarily going to be able to work out that real-Durkon is watching from behind Durkula's eyes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I knew it was going to be something like that once that guy mentioned the lightning rod not working. Thor ain't gonna be stopped by no pansy rear end lightning rod.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, I imagine that defiling one of their most powerful and devout clerics would probably piss a god right off. Now I wonder if Durkula will just come clean or try to lie his way out of it. Assuming that Hel wants Xykon out of the picture he could make a pretty good case of your enemy's enemy being your friend. Temporarily ally with Durkula to save all existence and then worry about your friend's soul.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a neat way for Thor to communicate - the storm's not so bad as to sink the ship and kill them all, but enough to make them realize that someone seems to have lost Thor's favor.

Let's see the shade work its way out of this one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That'd be the first time Thor ever gave a crap about Durkon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Second time. Breaking the rules to let Durkon do Sonic damage with Control Weather certainly counts.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Third time; remember during the battle for Azure City, it did a quick cut to the heavens to show Tiger getting pissed off at Thor for interceding on Durkon's behalf at one point. The fact that Thor was willing to risk provoking conflict with the Southern Gods points to him caring a great deal about Durkon.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

This is great, thanks for all the hard work everyone. If y'all wouldn't mind whipping yourselves up into a "Where's Rich???" frenzy every few days, so we can keep the strips coming, I'd really appreciate it.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

oobey posted:

This is great, thanks for all the hard work everyone. If y'all wouldn't mind whipping yourselves up into a "Where's Rich???" frenzy every few days, so we can keep the strips coming, I'd really appreciate it.

That chart was a necessary evil and you know it

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

oobey posted:

Can't use it too often though. It doesn't work that way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

greatn posted:

That'd be the first time Thor ever gave a crap about Durkon.

He doesn't give a crap about Durkon, he gives a crap about somebody taking a poo poo on his lawn.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Laff. I wonder how Nokrud is gonna weasel his way outta this one.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Yukari posted:

Can't use it too often though. It doesn't work that way.

It didn't work. You have to perform the right ritual for the right job. It's right there in the rule book.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Access the memory of Miko meeting the party where Durkon took the thunderstorm as a sign they shouldn't fight her, make up a similar story about this one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Access the memory of Miko meeting the party where Durkon took the thunderstorm as a sign they shouldn't fight her, make up a similar story about this one.

This seems the most likely, really. I'm guessing he's going to do a spin-job about how the storm is Thor trying to warn him/them about something awful going on in the dwarven lands now that they're in his home turf.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

This seems the most likely, really. I'm guessing he's going to do a spin-job about how the storm is Thor trying to warn him/them about something awful going on in the dwarven lands now that they're in his home turf.

Goons ruin everything! :argh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Regalingualius posted:

I thought he was just gonna bullshit "Well, I'm a vampire now, and technically not a priest of Thor any more." Tell a half-truth to get away from the whole-truth.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I thought he was just gonna bullshit "Well, I'm a vampire now, and technically not a priest of Thor any more." Tell a half-truth to get away from the whole-truth.

Then again, from the party's perspective, that's practically begging the question of "just what the hell do you worship, then?" :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How would a lightning rod even work on an airship?

Brannock posted:

That would go nicely with this narrative about overcoming narratives that Elan's started up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

How would an airship even work?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Durkon should just say "Yeah he's probably pretty mad I'm a vampire I know I am."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

How would an airship even work?

Well first you capture a treant, then use wood shape a bunch, then you gotta gain control over some air elementals.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

greatn posted:

Well first you capture a treant, then use wood shape a bunch, then you gotta gain control over some air elementals.

Time travel Lightning Rods work in much the same way.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Regalingualius posted:

begging the question of "just what the hell do you worship, then?" :v:

Interesting choice of words...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Glory of Arioch posted:

Probably pretty easily. "Oops, I guess Thor's not happy about me being a vampire now, I guess I just didn't notice before now because we haven't done anything that needed direct god contact. Well, guys, I totally don't want to be a vampire, but we don't have any way to rez me right now, and we need my vampire powers to win against XYKON that's right Roy we're hosed if I'm not a vampire for at least a while longer so I guess we better go the rest of the way on foot? In the meantime I can probably talk to another god for powers, I think Hel might not have a problem with it, I totally hate it too but we all have to make sacrifices for the greater good..."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

You'd run a conducting rod from one side to the other, so the lightning can pass through the ship via the harmless metal path of least resistance.

Really you'd want a bunch of rods sticking out on all sides all interconnected. (Basically wrap the ship in a loose faraday cage, I guess)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 19, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Look at Belkar's expression, he's had Durkula pegged since the beginning and is just waiting for everyone else to catch up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Thor. Is. Pissed.

:getin:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wolfsheim posted:

Look at Belkar's expression, he's had Durkula pegged since the beginning and is just waiting for everyone else to catch up.

Well yeah, he's been waiting for the rest of the party to catch up. I mean he's a little bloodthirsty in his handling because he's still Belkar ("let's just off him and res him later") but he's the only one who doesn't want to let Durkon be a vampire.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Durkon's smug little smile in his bonds of evil is pretty good too.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Brannock posted:

That's what I'd like, too. I mean if it simmers for a while I don't mind. I just think it would be amusing if it gets solved in short order.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mind over Matter posted:

That's what I'd like, too. I mean if it simmers for a while I don't mind. I just think it would be amusing if it gets solved in short order.

There is the matter of the prophecy, its clearly not a weird anti climatic pun, vampire Durkon clearly needs to destroy stuff somehow.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is the matter of the prophecy, its clearly not a weird anti climatic pun, vampire Durkon clearly needs to destroy stuff somehow.

Going to admit here I don't remember what you're talking about.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mind over Matter posted:

Going to admit here I don't remember what you're talking about.

Durkon was banished from dwarfland because he was prophesied to return and bring death and destruction

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

jsoh posted:

Durkon was banished from dwarfland because he was prophesied to return and bring death and destruction

I did not recall that. All I could think of was the "return posthumously" thing. Thanks!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mind over Matter posted:

I did not recall that. All I could think of was the "return posthumously" thing. Thanks!

I don't think it ever came up in the comic proper, just in Origins of PCs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is nothing keeping him from getting found out and then turning into a bat and escaping. He can bring death and destruction while the Order has to decide whether to give chase or continue to deal with the bigger picture.

I mean, nothing stopping it other then it would be kind of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr Pepper posted:

It looks like Thor isn't happy about Durkula.

Yes, that is certainly what the comic said.

Man, his new art is nice.