Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I thought using a Rebel's Greatshield against mages was funny. I finally spiced down profound still though, and decided to test it out.

I haven't laughed this hard at invasions in awhile. Mages just curl up like a ball when you take away their spells. And the radius is MASSIVE. You can hit people on the other side of the room with it.

Ravenfood posted:

Why did you think that? There's zero reason to kill NPCs in Dark Souls.

Getting items from them without completing quests/spending souls :colbert:

But yeah for the most part there is never a reason to kill an NPC. There is absolutely no reason to kill an NPC in this game if you don't know anything about them. None of them pull nasty tricks that lock you out of content, if that's what you're worried about.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

WYA posted:

Can I just do something else now or do I have to go through them?

The only thing behind them is treasure, a shopkeeper (a good one, though), and one of the Great Soul bosses. Eventually, you have to go that way, but you don't have to do it now.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

With one exception! Though, honestly, I'm not even sure why I'm supposed to kill that NPC other than this item seems to want me to.

Well she's a pretty transparent con and invades you a couple of times as the "Nameless Usurper" but don't ask me why she does that or what it has to do with the creepy eye stone.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The only thing behind them is a shopkeeper and one of the Great Soul bosses. Eventually, you have to go that way, but you don't have to do it now.

Actually you can skip the sentinels if you've got a Pharros' Lockstone and the Antiquated Key.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 19, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WYA posted:

I looked it up, theres no way to bring McDuff back, FML, gently caress these sentinels, this is the worst. Can I just do something else now or do I have to go through them?

Sentinels are entirely optional. There's a secret way to sneak past them to get to the next area.

Alternatively though, there's 3 other paths you could be progressing right now, unless you've completed all 3 of those already. Odds are you came here first, so just leave and come back later when you're better. You can always teleport.

The game is extremely open ended.

Have you been to the bottom of the well in Majula? Have you been to Huntsman's Copse? Have you been to Shaded Woods?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Mariposa posted:

Kill Maughlin for the Tseldora set, and Darkdiver Grandahl if you don't want Climax.

Or kill him for being a sadsack that turns into a smug little poo poo.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Opposing Farce posted:

Well she's a pretty transparent con and invades you a couple of times as the "Nameless Usurper" but why she does that and what it has to do with the creepy eye stone is anyone's guess.

Who is she conning out of what, though? Other than charging out the rear end for stuff and having really shifty-sounding dialogue she doesn't really seem to do a lot of conning.

E:

Opposing Farce posted:

Actually you can skip the sentinels if you've got a Pharros' Lockstone and the Antiquated Key.

Oh yeah, you're right. I never did that, but you totally can.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

WYA posted:

Okay thanks for the tips guys. A couple more questions. I killed this blacksmith McGruff because I thought you had to, can I bring him back to life? How do you summon NPCs?

This made me laugh for some reason.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Not only is the Dragon Aerie really cool, I was surprised by the game taking camera controls on my way up the shrine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VpFlgZFYvk&t=240s

Some Uncharted-esque drama created that I didn't mind at all.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Who is she conning out of what, though? Other than charging out the rear end for stuff and having really shifty-sounding dialogue she doesn't really seem to do a lot of conning.

She does charge you 2000 souls for a "miracle" that's actually just putting a key in a lock. Other than that you kind of have to assume she's gulling the gullible while you're not watching and the fact that she's an actual vendor selling actual miracles is more of a gameplay thing.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 19, 2014

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

In case you hadn't noticed, Fashion Souls is serious business. :sparkles:

The only reason I've ever considered rolling something other than my hexer is because lion's mage set is pretty generic. I've 1v1d like 15 people who look identical to me. My pretty, pretty pixels aren't unique enough.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you been to the bottom of the well in Majula? Have you been to Huntsman's Copse? Have you been to Shaded Woods?

No I havnt been to any of those places. Do I have to beat the Pursuer for that? Because...

I'm doing a dual wield dexterity build, using two Rapiers, I like it a lot, but maybe you guys could recommend me some other weapons? They are fast but only do damage in a straight line

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

WYA posted:

No I havnt been to any of those places. Do I have to beat the Pursuer for that? Because...

I'm doing a dual wield dexterity build, using two Rapiers, I like it a lot, but maybe you guys could recommend me some other weapons? They are fast but only do damage in a straight line

Problem spotted: You appear to be a new player but you went for a rather high risk, high damage dual wield build. Can I assume you're not using a shield during your sentinel fight?

Edit: To be clear there's nothing wrong with this (i.e. it's not really a problem at all) only that going through some of these bosses while only dual wielding can be pretty agonizing.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Thinking of trying a str faith build, tell me what class to start with because I am a min maxing plebe.

If you want a good weapon early on other than the mace, then a lightning infused blacksmith hammer is a good alternative. It has a higher base damage than the mace, a better moveset imho and while it gets D scalling for strength, it gets the same B scaling for faith as the mace does. Meaning that basically untill endgame, you will do more damage with that than the mace and you get it as soon as you have spent 8000 souls on Lenigrast. which you want to do anyway, to buy out his limited stock of titanite. I basically used it untill around Drangleic castle/aldies Villa on my str/faith char.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

zfleeman posted:

Not only is the Dragon Aerie really cool, I was surprised by the game taking camera controls on my way up the shrine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VpFlgZFYvk&t=240s

Some Uncharted-esque drama created that I didn't mind at all.
If you take too long crossing the bridge one of the dragons will land on it and tear it up, causing you to fall.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

WYA posted:

The Huntsman's Copse you can get to by paying 2000 souls to the miracle lady you meet after the Dragonrider when she moves back to Majula, and to get into the Shaded Woods you need a Fragrant Branch of Yore, which you'll eventually find at least one of on any given path.

I liked using the Warped Sword (boss weapon you can get by trading the Flexile Sentry's soul) with a rapier. Using it in the offhand gives you the curved sword power stance moveset with a special L2 spin move, which means you have access to some nice horizontal slices to go with your stabs.

Ice Fist posted:

Problem spotted: You appear to be a new player but you went for a rather high risk, high damage dual wield build. Can I assume you're not using a shield during your sentinel fight?
Don't listen to this man, dual wielding hella works and dodging will serve you better than blocking would. Having a shield doesn't really make the sentinels any easier; all of their attacks are easy enough to dodge and the fight is really about managing multiple enemies, which blocking doesn't really help with. My first playthrough was with a dual-wielding build and while there were plenty of times where I thought "if only I had more health/stamina/range/whatever" not once did I think "if only I had a shield."

Bobby The Rookie posted:

If you take too long crossing the bridge one of the dragons will land on it and tear it up, causing you to fall.
Actually that gets triggered if you smash too many eggs in the Aerie.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 19, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

WYA posted:

Just circle strafe the Pursuer. Half of his attacks will whiff right over your head without even dodging. If you have a lot of trouble back up a few feet and bait his shield charge, you can walk right under it by going to his right.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Is a tank build viable in DS2? I want to go through the game like I'm fighting Four Kings with Havel's set in DS1. If so, anyone have a link to a guide or suggestions on making it work?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Malt posted:

Is a tank build viable in DS2? I want to go through the game like I'm fighting Four Kings with Havel's set in DS1. If so, anyone have a link to a guide or suggestions on making it work?

Yes, and the prevalence of (bad) hexers makes being a tank pretty awesome. You can either summon dudes wearin' dresses or draw a soapstone and get summoned instantly because of your huge shield giving every caster in the game a rock-solid erection.

I don't have a guide but reddit probably does, and if you don't want to go to reddit, I imagine getting a poo poo ton of vig/str/end, with some adaptability if you ever feel like you want to press your roll button, and maybe some dex to taste for whatever weapon you're interested in. There's plenty of amazing shields to use.

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 19, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Malt posted:

I'd say you better learn to dodge too because not all attacks can be blocked. But if you can balance both blocking and dodging out then yes, being a tank works really well.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

Actually that gets triggered if you smash too many eggs in the Aerie.
Ah, I thought there might be something else that triggered it. That's pretty hilarious.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Bobby The Rookie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5g0XkJtSc
:allears:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Ah, I thought there might be something else that triggered it. That's pretty hilarious.

If you invade in the Aerie, you can smash the 10 eggs to call in the dragon yourself but the bridge destruction won't trigger until the host tries to cross it themselves, so smashing the eggs and baiting the host across can be a pretty funny way to get kills.

e: ^^^^ oh hey speaking of

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ahahaah I just tried the pursuer with a summon buddy and he told me he was going to shoot him with a ballistae, well it killed me as well as hitting him.

Is there any disadvantage to summoning people to help you against bosses, besides this?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
They get more HP per phantom you summon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Summoning basically shatters game balance which us why I never do it on the first run. I'll get summoned to feel out a boss but I like to solo every boss once because you have to be brain dead to lose with two helpers.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Summoning is fun and you should do it pretty much all the time

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

WYA posted:

Ahahaah I just tried the pursuer with a summon buddy and he told me he was going to shoot him with a ballistae, well it killed me as well as hitting him.

:darksouls:

The frequency with which this happens is startling.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Summoning basically shatters game balance which us why I never do it on the first run. I'll get summoned to feel out a boss but I like to solo every boss once because you have to be brain dead to lose with two helpers.

This is exactly what I do as well. I've solo'd every boss and it's a pretty rewarding experience in my book. Although I admit to taking Lucatiel when I can.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

:darksouls:

The frequency with which this happens is startling.

I had it happen to me twice in a row when I was helping people with that fight earlier today.

I also made a point of trying to fight each boss solo my first time through, but I knew I needed to summon Lucatiel for a couple of fights to see the end of her quest line so I made a point of bringing her in when I could and she completely trivialized all of them. (Well, the Flexile Sentry is trivial either way, but the Lost Sinner and Smelter Demon get way easier when she's tanking for you. The Rotten is an easy enough fight on its own, but weirdly I think it might also be the hardest one to get Lucatiel through because he actually deals a lot of damage to her and keeping her alive is a real DPS race.)

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 19, 2014

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's not true; Freja comes to mind. Also, I haven't beaten the Rat Authority yet on NG+ because that fight is a bitch as a caster. I also think it's generally more fun to have summons, whether you need them or not.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I generally just summon anyone I see because why not. I can beat them easy but they probably want to become human so it's doing them a favor. A few bosses even get harder with summons. Like chariot and the skeletons.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Mariposa posted:

Also, I haven't beaten the Rat Authority yet on NG+ because that fight is a bitch as a caster.

Any of the firestorm-style spells (I'm pretty sure all of the caster types get one; at least I know there's a version for pyromancy, miracles, and hexes) will tear right through that fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doflamingo posted:

Yep. One per playthrough.

Does that actually work? I'd just assumed turning in sun medals was pointless since your covenant rank does not reset when you ng+.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

Don't listen to this man, dual wielding hella works and dodging will serve you better than blocking would. Having a shield doesn't really make the sentinels any easier; all of their attacks are easy enough to dodge and the fight is really about managing multiple enemies, which blocking doesn't really help with. My first playthrough was with a dual-wielding build and while there were plenty of times where I thought "if only I had more health/stamina/range/whatever" not once did I think "if only I had a shield."

I think you're wrong that that a shield does make it easier. Getting the timing down on dodging a bosses' various attacks can take a bunch of tries, especially for someone new. If you're struggling with dodging then a shield does help. The sentinels are not like the Smelter demon or OIK where most/all of their attacks straight up cannot be blocked.

That said I also believe that once you've chosen an over arching theme to a build, like dual wielding, you should stick to it. Every build has challenges and dodging is something that a dual wielder needs to excel at. My point in suggesting that a shield might help is that he sounds frustrated - like dying 10+ times on the Sentinels frustrated. When someone is frustrated trying and failing the same thing over and over again a change in strategy might be in order instead of just saying 'dodge better.' Once he gets past a frustrating boss he can go back to dual wielding. Just trying to help a guy out.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 19, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I somehow managed to oneshot a guy wearing full Havel's. It wasn't a backstab or anything, just a normal strong attack with my thorned greatsword :pwn:

Yet another issue is becoming apparent to me with the SM system. Now that I'm at a higher SM on my dickwraith, the disparity between some of my invasions is shocking. Some people are well equipped and genuinely tough to kill even when I try my hardest. Other die in just two hits. The SM system really punishes people who make mistakes and lose large amounts of souls. It might not matter in the long long LONG run but it does matter when they get matched up against someone who was efficient with souls and only lost a small amount.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does that actually work? I'd just assumed turning in sun medals was pointless since your covenant rank does not reset when you ng+.

Sunlight Blade is also a treasure in Shrine of Amana.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Domattee posted:

I still haven't figured out whether it overrides crystal magic weapon or stacks with it. This game really needs a training dummy.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It overrides. None of the buffs can be stacked.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Domattee posted:

It overrides. None of the buffs can be stacked.

Thanks. But I still think there should be a dummy in Majula with infinite health to test things on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

Sunlight Spear is what I'm referring to.