Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

simplefish posted:

Clancy was good at describing the science stuff. Like 10 pages on wave/particle duality in Timeline

I really like the chapter on genetics in Jurassic Park, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=LC14&ID=r0023&Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

Making this thing road legal would be great.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FrozenVent posted:

I really like the chapter on genetics in Jurassic Park, myself.

Hey I edited that for full disclosure of my brain fart so quickly that it doesn't even have a timestamp. No need to rub it in.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Holy poo poo I want that thing.

quote:

Estimate: $ 50,000 - $ 75,000

:stare: Ok maybe not.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

That auction has a lot of cool poo poo.

I think we need to start a kickstarter for a Goon M16. (M4 half track with quad .50s)

:getin:

I'm down.

I like this French Armored car. Do you suppose the center four wheels are steel?

Also: the British totally built their own version of the King Tiger to fight Soviet heavy tanks.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It's entirely possible to rent an APC for stag/hen dos in the UK. They have to have rubberised tracks to be on public roads iirc but are otherwise road legal.

Also many places will let you drive warmachines over terrain courses (with decomissioned guns of course)

UK Cold War Tank Driving goon meet?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2014

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Romania's revolution through the eyes of three generations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I've never heard of armour needing to be demilled in Europe. :confused:

There's enough enthusiasts with private collections that have untouched armour.

Could be that it was done to comply with international disarmament treaties rather than to prepare for sale on the civilian market.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah isn't the little field collection the private museum from the west coast? I posted a ton of pictures from my trip there and they let me climb on and in anything I could get in as long as I didn't cry about spider bites.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Has anyone here seen an atmospheric nuclear test ? As the last American one was 1962 you'd probably be pushing 70 as an 18 year old serviceman.

It probably makes me a bad person, but seeing a nuclear detonation is on my bucket list.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah that mk4 has a nasty history attached to it. I probably told the story of it in the armed armor thread.

It was a capture from one of the early wars with Israel. They took it out with an rpg to engine and slagged the engine. They towed it to depot and it sat for a long time because it wasn't needed for parts.
His agent found it and bought it from the Israelis and had it shipped over. When they cracked open they found the crew still in it. Small bits and pieces no whole bones but tags and IF were found and returned to there families.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

simplefish posted:

Clancy was good at describing the science stuff. Like 10 pages on wave/particle duality in Timeline

e: oops actually I think that was Crichton

That was definitely Crichton, and his science was generally pretty good, even if a lot of it was highly speculative (Congo and Prey in particular).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baconroll posted:

Has anyone here seen an atmospheric nuclear test ? As the last American one was 1962 you'd probably be pushing 70 as an 18 year old serviceman.

It probably makes me a bad person, but seeing a nuclear detonation is on my bucket list.

Under the right circumstances it's on everyones

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Baconroll posted:

Maybe China will adopt Orion Drive for their space program.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FrozenVent posted:

It's also, in the ensemble of Clancy's work, pretty much the only time a weapon system doesn't perform flawlessly.

In the book, yeah. It was meant to be a much larger bang, but it fizzled. In the movie it was supposed to be a more tactical yield since the bomb it was made from only had a yield of something like 10-15kt. I do like the scene right before the blast where you actually see the moment of detonation for a split second on the television showing the game before the flash and blast wave hit the hospital. I'm not going to spoiler it simply because it was kind of a crappy movie.

Phanatic posted:

If you can distinguish between three events that take about 70 nanoseconds to run to completion in that video, you have way better eyes than I do.

It's probably the way the light from the blast hit the camera lens.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 19, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's probably the way the light from the blast hit the camera lens.
You can't slow light motherfucker.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

evil_bunnY posted:

Sure you can it just requires a gently caress load of lab equipment and more :science: than I can wrap my head around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
What the hell is this latest avatar from, Cyrano?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Psion posted:

What the hell is this latest avatar from, Cyrano?

I have been informed that the images are from the latest, CGI, iteration of Ninja Turtles.

As to how or why I got it, I am completely mystified.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's part of a guerrilla marketing campaign, milsurp collectors are an important demographic for animated children's movies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you think refraction is?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Eh, I like it fast. Otherwise the following video wouldn't be as impressive. I think it got linked the last time TFR talked about light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9vd4HWlVA&t=81s

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I heard another story from the Littlefield collection. Arrangements were made to buy a Russian APC. Said APC arrives by ship and is picked up, Customs signs off on it. Since it wasn't a tank and had no obvious weapons, Customs did not look inside. It was pulled from inventory with a full war load including several anti-tank missiles.

Discreet phone calls were made to contacts in the Army and the offending munitions quietly went away.

It was commonplace for tanks to arrive and not be demilled - no cuts in the cannon breech. They had their own guy who would come to the delivery with his own welding gear, and make the cuts for Customs inspection. If they let the Government do it, they always did a sloppy, ugly job.

I was bummed when i heard about the auction, i have seen many photos but I never got to visit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

If you were a French servicemen you could have seen theirs as the last above ground ones were in the mid 70s if I remember right. The PRC did their last one in 1980.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of nuclear tests, it begs the question of whether or not North Korea will pop their next firecracker outside of a cave just for the propaganda value. Of course, if one particle of fallout falls on China or Russia there'd be hell to pay, which only leaves a groundburst using a barge at the edge of their territorial waters to minimize fallout. To say nothing of the possibility of them getting another fizzle.

And this is the closest one gets to seeing a US nuclear test these days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGf4-ZOjyVY

Fair warning before you click, you might want to turn your speaker/headphone volume down first.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 20, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you were a French servicemen you could have seen theirs as the last above ground ones were in the mid 70s if I remember right. The PRC did their last one in 1980.

Defect to North Korea and you might just see one. :haw:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
One of my dad's uncles was one of the lucky dogs who got to jump out of a trench in the early 50's and see a mushroom cloud. He didn't get cancer until much later in life.

I guess his story was that they were supposed to jump out and do some kind of maneuver, like run towards it with bayonets affixed or something. They just kinda stood there dumbstruck looking at it while a couple of officers screamed at them.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Forgive me but I find it incredulous that anyone would ever, ever use nuclear weapons in live fire maneuvers.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My favorite one is the Chinese gasmask horsemen.

Link

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Forgive me but I find it incredulous that anyone would ever, ever use nuclear weapons in live fire maneuvers.

Come on man go watch Trinity and Beyond or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mortabis posted:

There's well documented cases, both in the states and the USSR... Possibly in India too, I can't recall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortabis posted:

It doubled as medical experiments.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I just re-read Red Storm Rising. Jesus that Icelandic love-plot was weird.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

The love story bit was kind of odd but I did sorta like the man on the ground perspective of the guys just hiding and living in the countryside for the war.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It was also kinda necessary since there's no other character story in the whole book.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mortabis posted:

It was also kinda necessary since there's no other character story in the whole book.

If you read the book and skip every Iceland chapters after they meet the girl except the one where they get rescued, it makes absolutely no difference to the story.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Defect to North Korea and you might just see one. :haw:

I wouldn't put it past the North Koreans to execute dissidents in nuclear testing if they could.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Mortabis posted:

Maybe, but the way Clancy handled it was poor. Maybe the reader could understand the horrors of war (rape etc.) a little better if Clancy didn't immediately segue into how great the girl's breasts were.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Vidgis was the subject of my 12-year old fantasies for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm not saying it was well-executed, but the book is filled with characters with which you have no investment whatsoever pretty much with the exception of Iceland, and maybe Alekseyev and his aide. Edwards and his party are pretty much the only sizable group of named characters in one place.

e: though even then Rogers and Garcia had barely any role, it was mostly just Edwards, Nichols, the marine sergeant (name is escaping me), and Vigdis.

Dark Helmut posted:

Vidgis was the subject of my 12-year old fantasies for a long, long time.

Hahahaha

I think Clancy had a thing for pregnant chicks, incidentally

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 20, 2014