Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

http://www.mutualscrew.com/product/...CFTQQ7AodnmIAaQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can this thing actually air-up tires or is it a pile of poo poo?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I haven't used THAT one, but the usual idea probably applies: yes, it will, but it will take a long time to get to 100psi and probably overheat before it does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've aired up tires from 12V compressors that looked worse than that one. No experience with the HF version but if whatever random plastic piece of poo poo I had could do it, that one should as well.

Edit: What tire of an automotive size needs 100PSI? Semi-trucks?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I think I saw someone using that exact airpump at the autocross this Sunday. It appeared to work, but seemed slow. Was actually fairly quiet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just need to air-up the Civic tires once to get it back to my apartment. I figure use it once and return it.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've had that same one for a few years. Yeah it's not as quick as ones that cost twice as much and the gauge has always been 3-4 PSI higher than what is actually in the tire, but it's been consistent and I put mine through a lot of use frequently when I had a tire leak 10-15 PSI a week for way longer than I'd like to admit before getting it fixed properly.

Just turn it on before putting on the chuck or you'll blow the fuse.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I just need to air-up the Civic tires once to get it back to my apartment. I figure use it once and return it.

Bike pump?

It'll take you a while.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Can this thing actually air-up tires or is it a pile of poo poo?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

I've got the super cheap yellow one that they have on sale for, like, $6 sometimes and it works fine. It's loud and slow, but cheap and works.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My birthday's coming up and people want to buy me poo poo but I can't think of anything, so I might as well ask for tools.

I have in my possession a Stanley socket set, some regular Tekton wrenches, jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, oil filter wrench because I had a stuck one once, cheapo Harbor Freight torque wrench, breaker bar, shop light I always forget I have, Home Depot multimeter I never learned to use and misc other stuff I use for electronics and computer repair.

I really want an orbital buffer because I hate polishing/waxing by hand, so recommendations there would be welcome.

Otherwise, what else should I keep handy?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
A set of screwdrivers is definitely handy. If you can get like a 50 or 100 piece set then it should have everything you need, and you won't be screwed when you're working on something and have a "Why the gently caress did they put one goddamn torx bolt in here?" moment. Usually they come with a poo poo load of bits and a driver, which, while I hate using, you can throw in your glove box for emergencies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Manual impact driver and a BFH. I agree on the screwdrivers, but would eschew the multi-bit type for a set of good quality flats, phillips and pozis. Maybe an OBD adaptor.

Edit: What is it you drive again? There may be make/model specific tools worth getting.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

blk posted:

I really want an orbital buffer because I hate polishing/waxing by hand, so recommendations there would be welcome.

Check the car detailing thread, last year for my birthday I asked for a Porter cable 7424xp per the recommendation of that thread and it worked awesome at restoring my old oxidized paint on my miata

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EKDS5k posted:

A set of screwdrivers is definitely handy. If you can get like a 50 or 100 piece set then it should have everything you need, and you won't be screwed when you're working on something and have a "Why the gently caress did they put one goddamn torx bolt in here?" moment. Usually they come with a poo poo load of bits and a driver, which, while I hate using, you can throw in your glove box for emergencies.

Even worse, a lot of car manufacturers like to hide rare screw types about 6 inches down a tiny port that is about as easy to get at as, say, a death star thermal exhaust port.

I ended up buying a huge set when I owned a 96 cherokee simply because there was a T20 torx 4 inches down a tiny plastic hole just large enough to get a screwdriver down, and certainly not large enough for a 1/4" hex bitdriver and a T20 torx bit down.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's a decent torque wrench to get? I only very occasionally do some light work on my Accord and my wife's Explorer, so nothing too crazy. I'm thinking 3/8 would be the best drive size to get, yeah?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

Manual impact driver and a BFH. I agree on the screwdrivers, but would eschew the multi-bit type for a set of good quality flats, phillips and pozis. Maybe an OBD adaptor.

Edit: What is it you drive again? There may be make/model specific tools worth getting.

Seconding a BFH. A 3 or 4 pound engineer's or drilling hammer will be one of the best tools you own.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm a novice woodworker, I want a buy a Kreg Jig. But I'm not sure which version I should be getting. There's the Kreg Jig K5 which just came out recently (and is surprisingly difficult to find in-stores up here in Canada), and the Kreg Jig K4. Which one should I be getting?

And to complicate things even further, I'm also seeing several sub-versions of each one, ie. the "K4 Master System". Then there's the Kreg K4 Jig Pocket Hole System.

I'm so lost on this. I just want to make some simple wood furniture, ie. cabinets, a workbench, and maybe some shelving.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

nwin posted:

What's a decent torque wrench to get? I only very occasionally do some light work on my Accord and my wife's Explorer, so nothing too crazy. I'm thinking 3/8 would be the best drive size to get, yeah?

If I had to go with one size, I would choose 1/2, mostly for doing lug nuts. It depends entirely on what light work you will be doing.

Harbor Freight has the clicker-type wrenches for 9.99 with coupon, so I just bought one of each size. For the occasional home mechanic they are great.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

melon cat posted:

I'm a novice woodworker, I want a buy a Kreg Jig. But I'm not sure which version I should be getting. There's the Kreg Jig K5 which just came out recently (and is surprisingly difficult to find in-stores up here in Canada), and the Kreg Jig K4. Which one should I be getting?

And to complicate things even further, I'm also seeing several sub-versions of each one, ie. the "K4 Master System". Then there's the Kreg K4 Jig Pocket Hole System.

I'm so lost on this. I just want to make some simple wood furniture, ie. cabinets, a workbench, and maybe some shelving.

All the K4 sets look like the same jig, it's just the stuff bundled with it that changes?

Jamesface has had a Kreg for a few years and he's build LOADS of stuff with it. The older K4 is a known quantity, i'd go with that. As for the stuff included, it depends what you've got or how close you are to a store for clamps etc when you find you need them.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 24, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can someone explain to a non-woodworker why that thing is cool and more broadly what it's for? As far as I can tell, it lets you easily drill clean odd-angle holes?

All I can find is promo explanations that assume the reader already knows what it is. v:v:v

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You got it pretty much. It allows you to quickly drill angled holes with the proper spacing/alignment so that you can then put a screw through them into another piece of wood to join them together without the screw being visible from the outside/side people can see or because you would need a really long screw to go through straight. Common on cabinets and such.

e: here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrIFHMEPkXs&t=209s

Galler fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 24, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Saabaru and NA Miata - both Japanese, haven't run into any torx or other weird stuff yet. Have bluetooth ODB II to my phone for the Saabaru, probably won't need ODB for the Miata.

Any impact driver recommendations?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

melon cat posted:

Worked in a cabinet shop for years, I'd say go for the K3 and spend the extra cash on bits and decent screws. The simple jig is quick and easy, the K4 was just extra crap in the way.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Poisonlizard posted:

Worked in a cabinet shop for years, I'd say go for the K3 and spend the extra cash on bits and decent screws. The simple jig is quick and easy, the K4 was just extra crap in the way.
I've been asking around and you haven't been the first to suggest the pocket hole jig (for the same reasons you mentioned), so I just might consider it.

Now, when you suggest getting decent bits and screws, are you saying that the Kreg Jig bits and screws aren't good quality? I just don't know where their hardware stacks up in terms of build quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buying tools? Screw that, make your own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16LUK_8Va8k

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KozmoNaut posted:

Buying tools? Screw that, make your own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16LUK_8Va8k

Lmbo that's such a great troll video.

:v: now I just cut this titanium rod...

*snip*

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

melon cat posted:

I've been asking around and you haven't been the first to suggest the pocket hole jig (for the same reasons you mentioned), so I just might consider it.

Now, when you suggest getting decent bits and screws, are you saying that the Kreg Jig bits and screws aren't good quality? I just don't know where their hardware stacks up in terms of build quality.

Drill bits aren't bad (and I can't really recommend a better brand), but once they start to wear a little they walk, so buy extras. Same thing with square drive bits, buy plenty of spares. We never really bought their screws, but I can't remember what brand we got. We always went with the zinc deck style screws, as the heads hold up better. Buy a couple of different kinds (Kreg or whoever) and see which style works best for what you do.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I remember a discussion a couple weeks ago about grease guns. Did we ever come up with a decision on what the best one to buy was?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

iForge posted:

I remember a discussion a couple weeks ago about grease guns. Did we ever come up with a decision on what the best one to buy was?

All of them suck. The Lincoln pistol grip one sucks the least.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Viper_3000 posted:

All of them suck. The Lincoln pistol grip one sucks the least.

This is true, but pistol grip grease guns get really tiring if you have a bunch of joints to grease, and they extra-suck when you have a fitting that's being a little stubborn. The lever versions give you a bunch more leverage (surprise), if you need it.

The lincoln lever gun
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYDZS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3ME9OG4HVG34O&coliid=I16HJDE1KMCG7F

and this GLORIOUS ATTACHMENT
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H7LPKKU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3ME9OG4HVG34O&coliid=I35BODYTYL3IXJ

Make greasing wonderful, but if you're just greasing the odd u-joint or ball joints, it really doesn't matter and you should get the pistol grip anyway.
I have a lever gun with a rigid hose for accessible joints on excavators/backhoes/etc and a flexible lever gun with that awesome locking coupler and it's a good combo.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Amy good tool-related Memorial Day sales worth investigating?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I MUST HAVE THIS :stare:

Onto the order list it goes, thanks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Air-powered grease guns certainly remove the ache from your fingers.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Thanks guys! I remembered that I had an Alemite c-600 in the bottom of my box with a broken rigid extension on it so I just got a replacement hose and coupler from advance auto. I don't do a lot of greasing so the $10 to repair a quality grease gun was a better choice than buying a crappy one. I also have another extension for it that it is just a tube with a small diameter straight end on it, no idea what that is for..

iForge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 27, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Does anyone else have a lot of questions about automotive wiring?

I don't know if it's worth starting a thread over, but I'm curious about ... well ...
  • what type of connections are better? Soldered, crimped? (Edit: kastein posted about this, sounds like it's ... either / makes no difference? (The page before that has a pretty decent back and forth that seems to settle on crimping perfectly is ultimately better than soldering perfectly, but no one does either perfectly and you should probably do whichever you're more comfortable with.))
  • If it's soldered, what kind of solder should I use? Soldering iron, soldering gun? Which brand/model? (Edit: Iron, Weller WES51 or WESD51 per our trusted NEAI engineery dude)
  • If it's crimped, what kind of crimps do I use? What's the proper way to do it? Tools needed?
  • What type of connectors are better? Weatherpack, those weird triangle DTM ones, etc?
  • What type of relays are good?
  • Where should connections be fused?
  • What's good technique? (Edit: Maybe this is a decent guide?)
These are probably all really dumb questions, and some are tool questions that I'm sure have been hashed out, but ... if I don't ask, I won't know, right? And there are probably more questions I'm not thinking of, as well. Hopefully I'm not the only person with these issues, but maybe I'm the only dummy who doesn't know how to wire cars.

The specific job that lead me to think of these questions is adding an LED light bar to a vehicle and attempting to wire it without the help of someone who knows better (and therefore tends to just build a harness and tell me to plug it in).

Obviously I appreciate said person's help and knowledge, but don't want to be dependent and would like to learn how to fish rather than be given a fish, so to speak.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 28, 2014

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't over think it too much. Just make sure you're using the right gauge wire and the crimps that match then wrap in some electrical tape if you want. Soldering is better and most guns will work just fine. Try to make connections in spots where they won't be bent or get wet if possible. If they will get wet then tape isn't always good as it'll trap moisture.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How do I figure out what the right gauge wire is?

I'm imagining I'll get some matching size wire for the leads to the light (it should have a +/- wire on it, so I'll be attaching to those), but I can use smaller wire between the switch and the relay, right? How about between the relay and power source (bigger, I'd think)?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ramsus posted:

Soldering is better

I'll be the contrarian and say that crimping is better. With soldering, you risk the solder wicking up into the wire and making it brittle. A proper crimped connection is more durable and will stand up better to vibration. Just make sure to use quality crimps and a good crimper.

Source: My dad has been installing various electronics in various vehicles since the early 1980s, including on earthmoving equipment, farming equipment, roadworks vehicles soaked in tar and asphalt, you get the idea. He's always used crimps and he's never had a properly-crimped connection fail.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll be the contrarian and say that crimping is better. With soldering, you risk the solder wicking up into the wire and making it brittle. A proper crimped connection is more durable and will stand up better to vibration. Just make sure to use quality crimps and a good crimper.

Source: My dad has been installing various electronics in cars since the early 1980s, including on earthmoving and farming equipment. He's always used crimps and he's never had a properly-crimped connection fail.
What are some good quality crimps and a good crimper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My dad swears by tools from Berner and Würth. I'm not 100% sure if the crimps come from them as well, he goes through a lot of them, but he refuses to buy the cheap poo poo.

E: Just checked their websites. The crimps and crimp tools that Berner sells are the ones he's got.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 28, 2014