Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

For me, shutting off the crosshairs and vertical aiming was the difference between getting my rear end handed to me on HMP and doing okay on UV. It removes the temptation to waste a lot of time lining up your shots perfectly when it doesn't even do anything in the end. On the other hand, I end up being more disoriented when I go back to a modern game, on top of running around diagonally like an idiot.

Yeah but then it becomes really unpredictable when you're launching rockets near an obstacle. Will the auto-aiming thinking I'm aiming high or low? I guess we'll find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Barfing Cumlord posted:

I just beat Hexen with WoC and it made the game vastly more fun and enjoyable. Still a switch hunt, but it keeps all the combat from getting stale right away.

Glad you enjoyed it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bloody Pom posted:

gently caress. Two weeks ago I was die-hard Unreal advocate.

Now I own the entire Id catalogue from Doom through to Quake 4. Do I regret it? Not one bit. :black101:

You can enjoy both! It's pretty cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just remember Quake 4 is pretty bad. Like Unreal 2 shits on it. Speaking of which. I need to play Unreal 2 again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No you don't.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No you don't. Unreal 2 is super generic, slow, boring garbage.

e: XMP is fun though, if you can find people to play it/the UT2k4 TC.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Kazvall posted:

Just remember Quake 4 is pretty bad...

I liked it :(. It doesn't compare to Quake 2, but the Stroggification part was great.

I liked Prey a lot too.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thank you for saving me from Unreal 2 nostalgia punishment.

I really liked Prey, too. Especially the multiplayer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal 2 inspired what is still one of my favorite frontpage articles (although it is now hilariously dated in a lot of ways).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I did the same thing last year, after spending 20 minutes getting the game to not crash outright, I made it through the first level set before I was so bored I quit and played Unreal 1 instead.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I have the DVD version of Unreal Anthology, and I just skip even installing 2 when I put it on a new computer. It's not worth the HD space even when it's coming free with the rest of the series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda like Unreal 2, Quake 4, Prey and Pariah.

Basically I am a terrible person.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Prey was cool, not only for being the first big title with those slick portals, but the game play was fun enough, and it was a better DNF than DNF in my opinion.

Let that sink in. You know it's true.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I liked Quake 4 as well. :smith:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Quake 4's fine. It might be generic and dark, but at least it's enjoyable to shoot the aliens.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kazvall posted:

Just remember Quake 4 is pretty bad. Like Unreal 2 shits on it. Speaking of which. I need to play Unreal 2 again.

You shut your dirty mouth right now! <:mad:>

Quake 4 is the best single-player Quake game, and it has Peter Stormare in it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I liked Quake 4 too. It had some potential and fortunately you can get it dirt cheap on Steam during sales thanks to Bethesda getting the rights off Activision (and Raven wich is the dev). At least Quake 4 having a really really light plot, keeps the Quake 2 history line and the stroggification is really cool in my opinion.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Maybe I'm hosed in the head but I love the Quake 2 expansions. On the topic of Quake 2, I still play DM on the tastyspleen servers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you got Quake 4 on Xbox 360 it came with Quake 2 as well. It was pretty awesome.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

To me Quake 4 was just a MUCH better Doom 3 :colbert:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

It really was. It was Doom 3 with less awkward attempts to be a horror game, and more old-school shooting. Even being much-improved, it still wasn't particularly good, though.

Raven didn't really master the Idtech 4 until Wolfenstein 2009, and then it was a short road to Singularity, then being absorbed into Activision and shat out as another Call of Duty map-pack team.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I prefer Quake 4 to Quake 2 honestly. At least Quake 4 was... prettier to look at?
Quake 2 was just too boring visually that it made it hard to play.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quake 2 was not a very good game at all, except the MP.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Quake 2 was really badly balanced and tested. Letting you hoard quad damage and invulnerability powerups? Recipe for instant breakage. You could melt the final boss in under ten seconds without so much as having to dodge.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As long as we're at the point where we're stating controversial opinions, I gotta say, Unreal never "clicked" with me. The guns always felt wimpy and underpowered - not greatly so, but enough that killing things feels incredibly unsatisfying. I then got the Eightball (i.e.: Rocket) Launcher, which finally felt somewhat satisfying to use, only to find out that ammo for it is scarcer than I'd like. This is compunded by the subsequent introduction of enemies that are really good at dodging projectiles, making me waste said ammo and forcing me back onto the unsatisfying weapons. I think I just kinda stopped playing in this large, vertical, circular level involving a lot of green slime at the lower levels, as I honestly couldn't make heads-or-tails of where to go. A shame, because the game's something of a looker (well, by 1998 standards, anyway).

I adore Unreal Tournament, though. Like, the Enforcer (or the automatic rifle that replaces it in 2004) still feels wimpy, but there's almost always a Rocket Launcher or Flak Cannon around to promptly upgrade to, and those guns feel great.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Quake 2 soundtrack makes any negative arguments against the game invalid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal is still a looker even today, discounting the disco lights everywhere. It achieves a balanced mixture of fantasy, nature, and tech design that not a lot of other games have pulled off.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Humans Among Us posted:

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you got Quake 4 on Xbox 360 it came with Quake 2 as well. It was pretty awesome.

Wait, what? I'm getting DooM 3 BFG for my 360 dirt cheap (just 7.95€) so I can get Doom and Doom 2 with it and play some coop and deathmatches during summer holydays. Does it come with the 2nd disc always?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dominic White posted:

Raven didn't really master the Idtech 4 until Wolfenstein 2009, and then it was a short road to Singularity, then being absorbed into Activision and shat out as another Call of Duty map-pack team.
Are Wolfenstein 2009 & RTCW still worth playing? RTCW got pretty good reviews, but I recall hearing that it was really difficult. The general impression I got from Wolfenstein 2009 is that it was pretty mediocre, and it looks like it was removed from Steam.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wolf 2009 is kind of fun, though I'n not a fan of having to go through the hub city level on your way to each mission. Just a bunch of mindless, fairly fast-paced killing of Nazis. Pretty good stuff.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RTCW is really good, but it's hard as hell. All of the weapons do a lot of damage to both you and the enemies, and the difficulty levels only adjust the enemy reaction times. Once you hit the last half of the game and the paratroopers with their loving FG42 rifles are the base enemy you'll be dying in just a few hits. If you're completely terrible you can try the Coop source port on moddb, but it has a few issues with crashing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I really liked Wolf 2009. Upgradeable weapons and so much satisfying gunplay. I also enjoyed exploring the new urbanist paradise that is the hub town.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Are Wolfenstein 2009 & RTCW still worth playing? RTCW got pretty good reviews, but I recall hearing that it was really difficult. The general impression I got from Wolfenstein 2009 is that it was pretty mediocre, and it looks like it was removed from Steam.

RTCW is decent, but very aged at this point. Wolf09? Absolutely, if you can get hold of it. It's caught in license-holder hell, so it's only really available either second-hand or pirated. Can't buy it on Steam anymore.

If you do play the PC version, get this goon-made mod. It makes some subtle tweaks to balance, and all for the better, IMHO. Makes late-game enemies beefier, encourages more usage of your heavy weapons and also nerfs some hilariously overpowered abilities, like an upgrade to bullet time that also instantly killed everything around you - after upgrade now, it only kills the weakest grunt enemies.

Bouchacha posted:

I really liked Wolf 2009. Upgradeable weapons and so much satisfying gunplay. I also enjoyed exploring the new urbanist paradise that is the hub town.

I wasn't too keen on the hub at first, but it grows on you. Especially as it gets more beat-up/nazi-infested after each main story mission.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just finished Thy Flesh Consumed on HMP. That was pretty fun! I did use in-level saves so I guess that's sort of cheating as far as Doom goes, but yay I got revenge for Daisy! (And no jumping or freeaiming either. Weird that I have to turn those off every time, but they make it a lot more fun.)

There was a lot of cool design in those maps, a lot of "oh god there is no way I can pull that off." Like in the cramped very first area of Hell Beneath, I died so many times to the Baron. Telefragging the cyberdemon in Perfect Hatred was hilarious, a real "oh god I just did that" moment. Working on a plan to work through each area step by step and figuring out what I needed to do with vanishing amounts of ammo and health was extraordinary. They Will Repent had the same thing going on, figuring out how to make my enviro suits last and work through each section one after another, and where the safe spots I'd found were.

Now Doom 2!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

loving yes. RtCW is pretty drat great, but the one thing I always point out is that there is a dreadful stealth section near the beginning. Wolf '09 is great as well. Plays very solidly. Lots of fun.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I enjoyed Doom 3, but there are three things about it that piss me off. The shotgun might as well be a melee weapon, you have to pretty much shove it down an imp's throat to kill it in one hit. Which is made difficult by the fact that you flinch like crazy at even the softest hit.

And the monster closets. The loving monster closets. Not only does it seem like it has more than the old games, they teleport poo poo in behind you when they run out of dark corners to hide things.

Doom 3 is a good game, just not a very good Doom game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So it turns out there's now a proper widescreen fix for Soldier of Fortune 2 that makes the game look pretty decent.

I guess the only thing it needs now is an actual re-release of some kind! I'm guessing it's either complete disinterest by Activision or some kind of licencing hell based on the name...

e: might as well add some pictures

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 19, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The thing with Unreal is that you need to learn how the weapons work in order to kick lots of rear end with them. The ASMD is underwhelming at first, but figuring out the combo attack means things like Slith and weak Skaarj can quickly get gibbed. The Eightball is kinda annoying at first as well because Skaarj dodge rockets, but Skaarj can't dodge the grenades shot by the alt-fire mode. Some of the later weapons look like pieces of poo poo when you first get them, but the're actually really powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

So it turns out there's now a proper widescreen fix for Soldier of Fortune 2 that makes the game look pretty decent.

I guess the only thing it needs now is an actual re-release of some kind! I'm guessing it's either complete disinterest by Activision or some kind of licencing hell based on the name...

There shouldn't, is a Raven game wich is a studio under Activision's direction. I'd kill for a Steam (or even better a GOG) release of SoF Platinum and 2.