Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
The other pine (I believe these are Scotch pines) will probably be much happier if you remove it. Only other option is to limb it up high and hope it outgrows its ugly phase. Personally, I'd remove it, especially with the other one looking so very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

When I first found this thread I had one question, now I had two:

1)
Can anyone identify the plant shown in the following two pictures? The only things I know about it is that it is currently growing in Minnesota and it has fallen out of style enough to be difficult to find in plant stores in 2014 (at least locally). I'm not sure exactly how big it is, but my mother-in-law was nice enough to unintentionally include her hand in the photo for scale. She is a somewhat below average height American citizen.

2)
What is the spiral leaf hosta-looking plant in the OP? :swoon: It's beautiful! :swoon:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
First Plant is a Bergenia. I've never seen them in a nursery but I know there are a few places online that sell them (like Bluestone Perennials).

Plant in the OP is a Begonia Rex, I think it's the "escargot" cultivar.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Marchegiana posted:

First Plant is a Bergenia. I've never seen them in a nursery but I know there are a few places online that sell them (like Bluestone Perennials).

Plant in the OP is a Begonia Rex, I think it's the "escargot" cultivar.

Whooo, zones 10-11. Stupid Minnesota.

Thanks for the feedback!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Begonias are super easy to grow in containers. GET IT!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Whooo, zones 10-11. Stupid Minnesota.

Thanks for the feedback!

I got that same plant last year because, just like you, I saw it in the OP. Bought it off eBay, and it's been growing nicely ever since. My previous posts should have a photo.

Mine is in a ceramic bowl sitting on top of a dish full of rocks. It sits indoors near the backyard door. I never water the soil, only water the rocks so they are mostly submerged. That way, they get the water they need from the hole at the bottom of the bowl and plenty of humidity as the water dries off the surrounding rocks. Just don't get watet directly on the leaves.

They are pretty slow growers, though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I've got a 35 year old goldfish plant in its original pot. It's overcrowded and not doing too well. Apparently I need to trim the root ball, but I'm not sure where to start, and if I can do it without risking the plant. Any advice?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So I've been having problems with gnats/fruit flies in my plants recently. My one spider plant seems to be vector zero, but I can't tell if that's the true culprit. How would you go about getting rid of them? I assume they're hurting the plant.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any suggestions for indoor planters that aren't round? I've got a few 8", wall-mounted shelves that I'd like to use for my plants. Now is a good time to re-pot them, but everything I see is either huge, or round. I'd really like to find some small-to-medium sized, rectangular planters.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
How much are you looking to spend? Keith "Kitoi" Taylor does some really nice stuff (and you can commission him to get exactly what you want), but it's certainly more than you'll spend on pots from the big box stores.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

I've got a 35 year old goldfish plant in its original pot. It's overcrowded and not doing too well. Apparently I need to trim the root ball, but I'm not sure where to start, and if I can do it without risking the plant. Any advice?

There's always some risk in messing with a plant's roots. If you want to be really safe, just repot it in a bigger pot. Word on the interwebs for goldfish plants is that they like to be slightly rootbound, so only go one pot size up.

If you're going to root prune it, then get yourself some pruning shears or a sharp knife. Get the pot off, then remove about 1/4 of the sides and bottom of the root ball. Tease the remaining roots out of the sides, then repot it with a good potting mix and water it thoroughly. Repotting plants tends to leave air pockets around the plant and the watering helps cave them in, so you might need to add more dirt to get the final soil level... level.

Shirec posted:

So I've been having problems with gnats/fruit flies in my plants recently. My one spider plant seems to be vector zero, but I can't tell if that's the true culprit. How would you go about getting rid of them? I assume they're hurting the plant.

It's been my experience that gnats do better on food than plants. Are you the typical goon slob? Another thing to check is drain traps around your place.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Shirec posted:

They sound like fungus gnats to me.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05584.html

party hat
Apr 22, 2010
I have not been having luck with flowers over the last couple of Spring/Summers so perhaps you fine goons can give me some advice!

I want to plant some stuff in potters on my balcony and I never have any idea what to choose. I want something that's colourful for as long as possible and it would have to be able to thrive with our direct afternoon sunlight. It gets crazy hot on the balcony. I don't really enjoy it when everything turns into just a bunch of green leaves after a month.

Sort of related, but I'd like to grow some herbs as well, but I have no clue how they'd do in the kind of sun we get.

I will repay your generosity of information with pictures when I'm done.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Give us a location and what kind of things do you like? Lots of showy flowers? Interesting foliage? Structure?

party hat
Apr 22, 2010
I'm in Toronto, Ontario.

Lots of flowers, for sure. Bright colours. Foliage not so much. It can't get too big unfortunately. It's a really small balcony and the only place for them, really, is an 8' length of the ledge. Maybe a small hanging pot or two, too. I wouldn't mind some sort of climbing plant because it can grow on the rail, but again, it can't get crazy because the condo board doesn't want it to go and start latching onto the bricks. I love roses, especially those small ones, but I wouldn't want all roses. Does that help?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
If you're looking for tons of flowers over a long period your best bet is to get something annual (like petunias). Because annuals live on a limited time span their evolutionary survival mechanism is "poo poo out as many flowers as possible to make the maximum number of seeds before death". Perennials will only bloom for a couple weeks to a month because they know they're in for the long haul.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

kid sinister posted:

It's been my experience that gnats do better on food than plants. Are you the typical goon slob? Another thing to check is drain traps around your place.

Haha, I'm certainly not surgically sterile clean, but I've never had a gnat issue before. I will check the drains just in case, but nah, I'm not living in weird goon filth.

I think this may be the culprit. I was potting a ton of things and soaking them down, and the spider plant I overwatered. Hopefully drying it out will help.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

party hat posted:

I have not been having luck with flowers over the last couple of Spring/Summers so perhaps you fine goons can give me some advice!

I want to plant some stuff in potters on my balcony and I never have any idea what to choose. I want something that's colourful for as long as possible and it would have to be able to thrive with our direct afternoon sunlight. It gets crazy hot on the balcony. I don't really enjoy it when everything turns into just a bunch of green leaves after a month.

Sort of related, but I'd like to grow some herbs as well, but I have no clue how they'd do in the kind of sun we get.

I will repay your generosity of information with pictures when I'm done.

Get some annuals for pretty flowers. For all year flowers, petunias and celosias are nice. In fact, the petunias would do good in a hanging basket.

Herbs should also do fine in pots on a balcony with direct afternoon sun.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 14, 2014

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
There's a brand of impatiens out call "Sunpatiens" that is very showy that would do well in a planter, too.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Shirec posted:

I think this may be the culprit. I was potting a ton of things and soaking them down, and the spider plant I overwatered. Hopefully drying it out will help.

I am finishing up dealing with a fungus gnat situation myself. Putting some of those little yellow fly paper sticks in my pots cleared it up in about 3 days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had my backyard done in January. New plants, sod, trees, the whole works. I'm in Southern California, Inland Empire specifically

In the middle of my grass area I had a Carrotwood Tree planted. It was I believe a 24" box tree from a nursery, looks like this guy (the tree, not the actual guy)

About 10 days ago I noticed that 1/3 of the leaves had fallen off. It's been rather hot, above 90 on most days and we've had a few days of high winds, 15-25mph. I thought maybe it was just the wind because this is supposed to be an evergreen tree, but more leaves started falling off and the small branches would fall off with a minor touch. I cleared out the grass around the tree, mulched the area and started deep-watering the tree the last few days each morning for about 45-60 minutes. It still has a handful of leaves left but seems droopy and branches still pop off with a light touch.

Is my tree dried out and dying? Is there anything more I can do right now except keep watering and hope it bounces back? It's supposed to be 100+ for the rest of the week and I'm worried it might not make it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If it was only planted 4 months ago, ask the landscaping company that put it in. They offer a warranty in case it dies.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Did you watch them plant it? It's been known to happen that unknowing people haven't unwrapped balled & burlapped trees before planting. Otherwise, keep trying to baby it through the year - life is in the buds. Even if it drops most of its leaves, if it makes it to its dormant period (assuming it has one; I'm not familiar with this tree), trees can generally rebound. If it does die, please rip it out and inspect the root system. There's always a chance it has girdling roots from poor growing conditions before it was balled.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zratha posted:

I am finishing up dealing with a fungus gnat situation myself. Putting some of those little yellow fly paper sticks in my pots cleared it up in about 3 days.

gently caress those assholes. I tracked down how the hell they were showing up everywhere. Apparently they got into a bag of potting mix and when I opened the cabinet, a black cloud of them flew out. I hate those assholes!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

unprofessional posted:

Did you watch them plant it? It's been known to happen that unknowing people haven't unwrapped balled & burlapped trees before planting. Otherwise, keep trying to baby it through the year - life is in the buds. Even if it drops most of its leaves, if it makes it to its dormant period (assuming it has one; I'm not familiar with this tree), trees can generally rebound. If it does die, please rip it out and inspect the root system. There's always a chance it has girdling roots from poor growing conditions before it was balled.

Yeah, I watched them plant it. Everything else seems to be doing OK otherwise, we had about 11 palms planted with no issue as well.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

SynthOrange posted:

gently caress those assholes. I tracked down how the hell they were showing up everywhere. Apparently they got into a bag of potting mix and when I opened the cabinet, a black cloud of them flew out. I hate those assholes!

Yeah they are a real pain in the rear end. I had my seedlings for outside starting indoors for a few months, and the gnats loved the humidity of the soil. I tried rigging up a little fruit fly style trap with some apple cider vinegar, but they wanted nothing to do with it. The sticky paper works great, thank god.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I watched them plant it. Everything else seems to be doing OK otherwise, we had about 11 palms planted with no issue as well.
Any other of the same kind of tree? If you paid good money for this, I would call and ask if they could come out and take a look at it. Any landscaper worth their salt will either replace it or at least investigate what it needs and keep an eye on it. Sounds like you're doing the right things in terms of caring for it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

unprofessional posted:

Any other of the same kind of tree? If you paid good money for this, I would call and ask if they could come out and take a look at it. Any landscaper worth their salt will either replace it or at least investigate what it needs and keep an eye on it. Sounds like you're doing the right things in terms of caring for it.

No, this was the only "shade tree" planted in this backyard. The whole project was quite a bit of money so ill give him a call and see what he can suggest. He's been highly recommended by several of my neighbors and seems to know his poo poo.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Zratha posted:

Yeah they are a real pain in the rear end. I had my seedlings for outside starting indoors for a few months, and the gnats loved the humidity of the soil. I tried rigging up a little fruit fly style trap with some apple cider vinegar, but they wanted nothing to do with it. The sticky paper works great, thank god.

Ohhhh, they don't care about apple cider vinegar? That explains why a friend of mine wasn't able to make any progress getting rid of the gnats in his place as well.

Does the sticky paper help with the larva as well?

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Well, to work the insects have to fly into it, so it wouldn't work for larva directly, but if they fly into it right away when they hatch, they won't have time to lay new eggs.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shirec posted:

Ohhhh, they don't care about apple cider vinegar? That explains why a friend of mine wasn't able to make any progress getting rid of the gnats in his place as well.

There are other things you can substitute in a gnat trap. The most common I've heard of is beer. Another thing you can try is to also throw in a chunk or 2 of overripe fruit. Remember, it isn't the bait that kills the gnats, it's that they're too dumb to escape once they get inside.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I have oriental poppies of some variety in my yard, and the first one opened up today. It was pretty cool taking the dog outside this morning and seeing an enormous red flower where there was previously just a big bulb. Do they only open up in the early morning, or would you ever see one that was closed early in the day and open in the afternoon?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

kid sinister posted:

There are other things you can substitute in a gnat trap. The most common I've heard of is beer. Another thing you can try is to also throw in a chunk or 2 of overripe fruit. Remember, it isn't the bait that kills the gnats, it's that they're too dumb to escape once they get inside.

Sundews and Pinguicula loving wreck gnats btw.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
My newest baby arrived yesterday. It's a three year old Synsepalum dulcificum (Miracle fruit). It's covered in little flower buds so I definitely should be getting some fruit this year!

The root ball is about 5.5" in diameter right now so I'm guessing I should find a 7 or 8" pot for it, right? I've also read that they love acidic soil (4.5-5.8pH) and some places recommend using 50/50 sphagnum peat/perlite. Would that mixture achieve what I need? I looked at some at home pH meters but from what I've seen they are all garbage and you should send your dirt away to a lab for testing. Is there no easy way to monitor and maintain my soil pH, or will it not fluctuate very much to begin with?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Tremors posted:

My newest baby arrived yesterday. It's a three year old Synsepalum dulcificum (Miracle fruit). It's covered in little flower buds so I definitely should be getting some fruit this year!

Hey, good luck with that thing! They're incredibly slow growers. Tell me how it goes, because I got a 9 month-old twig a few months ago. I used a peat and perlite mixture and fertilize with Miracid. I've also got it surrounded with moist rocks to keep it humid and I spray it with water around once a day to emulate the amount of rain it receives in its native habitat.

I still can't tell if anything has changed since I got it. :shrug: At least it's not dying?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

unprofessional posted:

Just to follow up on this, the landscaper is dropping by on Monday. However my wife noticed new buds coming out at the tips today so it looks like everything will pull through fine :unsmith:

Now f I can just get me sprinklers to stop being rear end in a top hat and start watering my grass evenly so it doesn't die.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My Drosera burmannii is always a treat. Really fast-growing, big appetite, great dew production – this sundew has it all.

I'm going to try to get the large plant in the center to color up for the BACPS show in June.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

FCKGW posted:

Just to follow up on this, the landscaper is dropping by on Monday. However my wife noticed new buds coming out at the tips today so it looks like everything will pull through fine :unsmith:

Now f I can just get me sprinklers to stop being rear end in a top hat and start watering my grass evenly so it doesn't die.
Sounds good, man. Some things are just very susceptible to transplant shock.

Kenning, you keep giving me the the CP itch...

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Any tips on how to keep this 5 gal hydrangea from dying in Texas?

I'm in the Dallas area. It's in a shaded part in front of our house. I recently moved it back so it stays in the shade during the afternoon. I've been watering it, but everything keeps shriveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
It's gonna need a lot of water, and best if it had a very nice, deep mulch bed around it to help it retain that water. It can be done, and sounds like you've got it in the proper setting, but it will always need a lot of water.