Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

ReidRansom posted:

Me too. Just need to decide now if I want to find a nearby hotel or drive in the morning of. It's about a two hour drive for me from College Station assuming no really crazy traffic, but that still means leaving probably no later than 5:30, and that's loving early.

In any case, I'll be the guy with a shaved head and a moustache unless something comes up that prevents me going.

I'm coming down from Austin. I'd have to leave like 4:30am. I thinking about loading up the Rover and camping at the state park nearby. I haven't decided.
I'll be in a bleached red Abarth t-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

How did you go about doing your wing mirrors? did you mask the area and do them in place, or pop them off?

The yellow wheel look is great on your car

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ST too boy ricer and you do 'that' to your lovely R :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sadnessboner posted:

How did you go about doing your wing mirrors? did you mask the area and do them in place, or pop them off?

The yellow wheel look is great on your car

Thanks! I did the mirrors in place. Masked it all off with lots of blue painters tape and big sheets of plastic. Any errant overspray that does hit your car can clean up very easy with a microfiber cloth and a quick heavy wipe, just be sure to do it sooner rather than later, as small bits of the stuff left to cure are a lot harder to remove than if it's fresh.
I only sprayed the glossy black plastic bits, which on my mirrors are just the top portion. The inner portion that faces the car is extremely thin though due to trying to maneuver a spray can at weird angles. I should have folded them in and sprayed them because it would have exposed most of the glossy portion and given me better coverage. Maybe I'll peel it off and give it another shot, or try some colors on them, why not.

BurgerQuest posted:

ST too boy ricer and you do 'that' to your lovely R :(

Spray some yellow rubber on some wheels in an afternoon? Give me an hour and you won't even know 'that' was ever done to it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

If you have another track nearby that does a good school for less than the cost of the tickets/hotel/car maybe not. Denver to Salt Lake is pretty dirt cheap.

There is something to say for driving your own model of car. It did make me want a Ford racing exhaust pretty bad though.

Warning:too lazy to edit out wind noise or add music or anything. TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN.

Bought the ion air pro 2 that morning, no time to play with mount points or orientation, sorry about vertical video and view. One lap of each event and both hot laps.

Video: https://youtu.be/1Rip8ik9yHE

I forgot to ask, how many people were there in the class? How much waiting around for someone else to get done, etc. was there?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Met up with ReidRansom form here and did the Abarth Experience on Thursday. That was a shitload of fun. I posted a longer write up in the Fiat thread. If you have an Abarth and haven't done it, get off your rear end and book a day. It's free and you get to beat up someone else's car!

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.
A teenage girl on a cellphone destroyed my mk4 GTI about a month ago and I've replaced it with the 2013 ms3. Besides peripheral cabin/dash gripes (cheaper and uglier, imo, except for the wheel and shifter) it's been a blast. I keep hearing that the stock tires are awful, though, and that they're loud, rough and not as grippy as you'd want for the ms3. Does anyone have any recommendations for replacements? I live in Texas (so weather isn't an issue) and I'm trying to spend less than $750. Tirerater is suggesting the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 or the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get the DW. Solid tire.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had the Ventus V12 k110's on my old e46 and the tread life was incredibly good considering how good the grip was - I auto crossed the poo poo out of them and they held up for over 20k miles.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have a retired uncle with a little too much money who has a hot hatch addiction. He lives near my dad (unfortunately far away from me) who happens to have some warehouse space to store cars. Currently in there is a brand new WRX and a brand new Abarthe. My uncles DD is his GTI.

I just want to go home and drive cars. Worst of all? My dad has no interest in these cars :(

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went and test drove a Fiesta ST this evening and now somehow my bank's loan application website is up, how did this happen. oh no oh no.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Did a track day in my 172 cup the other week, was fantastic fun and am planning to go back as soon as possible.

Car performed brilliantly until I melted my front pads completely halfway through the day. Drove 30 minutes to the nearest shop without touching the brakes once, got some new pads and changed them in the car park. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to bed the pads in and still get some track time so we had to go home.

Trying to convince myself I need a full cage and bucket seats now..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

mad.radhu posted:

I went and test drove a Fiesta ST this evening and now somehow my bank's loan application website is up, how did this happen. oh no oh no.

It's meant to be my friend.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did a thing

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

mad.radhu posted:

I did a thing

Excellent color choice.

I also did a thing.

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Excellent color choice.

I also did a thing.

Agreed on the colour choice:

Don't seem to be many of these in here but having tried the equivelant Golf, Focus etc this was the one for me. The new BMW M1 looks like a lot of fun but AWD was something I really wanted and the S3 won out.

Looking at getting a Stage 1 remap in a few months taking it to ~310bhp and ~420NM I doubt i'll get any crazier with it as Stage 2+ requires quite a lot of spending and i'm not going to keep it for more than a couple of years.

LoopyJuice fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 19, 2014

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Okay I took the Fiesta up highway 9 here in the bay area yesterday, and i've never had that much fun in a car ever. I'm hooked.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

LoopyJuice posted:

Agreed on the colour choice:

Don't seem to be many of these in here but having tried the equivelant Golf, Focus etc this was the one for me. The new BMW M1 looks like a lot of fun but AWD was something I really wanted and the S3 won out.

So jealous of this. I have the less hot A3 in black.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

8ender posted:

So jealous of this. I have the less hot A3 in black.

These cars are not offered in the US, are they?

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007

tijag posted:

From my brief reading of the thread it doesn't sound like the A3/S3 are sold in the US other models are though so i'm not sure why...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

LoopyJuice posted:

From my brief reading of the thread it doesn't sound like the A3/S3 are sold in the US other models are though so i'm not sure why...

As far as I know the A3 has been available in the US since 2006. However more recently it's become a sedan only car in North America.

I don't think the car has been a huge success for Audi in NA. It's essentially a GTI in Audi trim but with a much larger price tag and less features standard.

It was sold in the same price range as a good 3 or 1 series BMW so you had to really want an Audi hatchback over the GTI or the competitors offerings.

That said they don't attract nearly the attention a GTI does on the used market so they're cheap and usually not modified. The Audi interior and exterior is really nice too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tijag posted:

The hatchbacks are not, the A3 in the US is a compact 4 door luxury sedan. The S3 sedan may be coming next year as well.

The closest thing would be the VW Golf models.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The US-model A3 was available in a hatch up until this model year. It was essentially unmarketed; apparently it was popular in certain specific areas but unsurprisingly not overall. We only got the 4-door hatch, not the 2.

They were priced with the BMWs but the low popularity meant you could get them for only marginally more than a GTI, basically trading the LSD for a nicer interior and some snootypoints. You could get the S3's higher, peakier power with a simple chiptune, too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
There's no reason for an S3 hatch to exist in the US when we are getting a 290hp Golf R.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nobody bought the A3 in a hatch anyways, an S3 hatch would be an absolute turd of a seller. The US is not a big fan of premium hatches and having the Golf R + an S3 would be really dumb.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I personally prefer the look of the S3 over the R but agreed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

8ender posted:

I personally prefer the look of the S3 over the R but agreed.

While I agree, there are probably a few thousand reasons that I could be persuaded that the R would be a better choice.

I do prefer the longer trunk/cargo area of the A3 though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

mad.radhu posted:

Okay I took the Fiesta up highway 9 here in the bay area yesterday, and i've never had that much fun in a car ever. I'm hooked.

Welcome to the club. 4 months later and I'm still having a blast with my ST (I've also already bought a few goodies for it :getin:)

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass
Is anyone in this thread familiar with Renaultsport Meganes? I have some questions on the 225 Cup specifically - what's an easy way to identify these as separate from base 225s, at least the Phase I X84s? I know they had stiffer rear suspension and larger brake master cylinders among other things, but I've never seen both in person to compare. Interiors seem all of the place as is common for Renaults. Anyone know a surefire way (factory code for example)?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

skipdogg posted:

The hatchbacks are not, the A3 in the US is a compact 4 door luxury sedan. The S3 sedan may be coming next year as well.

The closest thing would be the VW Golf models.

Nah the hybrid A3 hatch I think? And then they said that we'd get the diesel version as well. So yeah, you can get an A3 hatch in the USA soon perhaps, but only as a hybrid or diesel. I haven't seen anything on the S3 but like was already said, why get a more expensive S3 sedan here in the US when you can get the Golf R instead? Styling aside they are identical.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
FiST / FoST question. I’m very close to getting a Fiesta, the 0% APR Ford is offering is a big plus. I see it ends in early July, does anyone have any idea if this is something Ford does regularly to attract buyers or should I try to jump on before it ends?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Springfield Fatts posted:

FiST / FoST question. I’m very close to getting a Fiesta, the 0% APR Ford is offering is a big plus. I see it ends in early July, does anyone have any idea if this is something Ford does regularly to attract buyers or should I try to jump on before it ends?

I dunno but is the difference between a 0% ("for well qualified customers") and a 2.5% rate (what said well qualified customer can get at his bank these days) really going to seal the deal for you? 1100 dollars over a 4 year loan if you finance the whole thing?

Also yes there's always some sort of this deal going on. Negotiate on the sticker and you can save that number of dollars on the price out the door.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They change programs depending on how well something is selling. Right now it's 0% for 60 or 1000 cash back, which is about a wash. If you have a credit union you can get a super low rate on it might be worth it to take the cash back, the 0 for 60 is probably a better deal though in the long run. Depends on how long you want to finance it for.

There is only 800 dollars difference between invoice and MSRP on these cars, so not much negotiating room.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Make sure you run the numbers. That 0% APR is "as low as", and if you use their financing you don't get any of the other dealer incentive rebates, which currently add up to a little over $2k iirc. I got 2.09% from my credit union, and even with the best the dealership would give me (1.99%), over 48 months, I still ended up way ahead going with my credit union, since that allowed me to take advantage of programs 12568, 12562, and 12564, which brought the price down by something like $2,000 right away.

Also if you have a Costco membership make sure your dealership gives you that discount, it essentially turns their incentive from "make the most commission" to "move the most vehicles" and knocks another $600 or so off (depending on options)

Note that all those program IDs are only applicable to dealer stock, if you get one ordered in you don't get any of them (except costco).

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
^^ Many thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I wish I was as well informed as I am now when I had purchased. I'm sure I could have easily more off. I think I am the kind of customer they love, once I decided I want a car I just want to get it and go.

Matter of fact, one reason I didn't buy from the original dealer I went to (Ricart in Columbus) because they were dead set on making it an all-day endurance marathon. They didn't even have any FiST's. Instead they tried to sell me a new FoST, and then when I said no they tried to talk me into a base Fiesta. Yeah, not a good experience.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

mad.radhu posted:

Make sure you run the numbers. That 0% APR is "as low as", and if you use their financing you don't get any of the other dealer incentive rebates, which currently add up to a little over $2k iirc. I got 2.09% from my credit union, and even with the best the dealership would give me (1.99%), over 48 months, I still ended up way ahead going with my credit union, since that allowed me to take advantage of programs 12568, 12562, and 12564, which brought the price down by something like $2,000 right away.

Also if you have a Costco membership make sure your dealership gives you that discount, it essentially turns their incentive from "make the most commission" to "move the most vehicles" and knocks another $600 or so off (depending on options)

Note that all those program IDs are only applicable to dealer stock, if you get one ordered in you don't get any of them (except costco).

Nice tip, I'm going to test drive a bare bones no option Fiesta ST at a dealership here that I was quoted 20195 over the phone.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Mr-Spain posted:

Nice tip, I'm going to test drive a bare bones no option Fiesta ST at a dealership here that I was quoted 20195 over the phone.

Is the Fiesta really that close in price to the Focus? I picked up an ST2 with moonroof and navigation for $22k.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr-Spain posted:

Try one with the Recaro option, they're pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

mad.radhu posted:

Try one with the Recaro option, they're pretty nice.

Will Do.

^^^ Not sure if i want to get above 22-23 out the door but I'll see what I can find.