Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thoren posted:

Mayuri is a loving villain. It's stupid how they took all the moral ambiguity out of soul society. The guy experimented on innocent grandpas.

How do you know Uryuu's grandpa was innocent? :colbert:

EDIT: Come to think of it, how do we know if Uryuu's grandpa is even still dead? Maybe Mayuri brought him back to life in his lab earlier to get information out of him.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I still think it wasn't arancar in Szayel's lab. I'm thinking Quincy now.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How do you know Uryuu's grandpa was innocent? :colbert:

EDIT: Come to think of it, how do we know if Uryuu's grandpa is even still dead? Maybe Mayuri brought him back to life in his lab earlier to get information out of him.

Ichigo is Uryuu's grandpa.
If you check out ch. 17x...

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I am working on a Kenpachi painting!

http://imgur.com/ECk0DLE

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

he looks so happy :neckbeard:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Over in the Naruto thread we're having fun (schadenfreude?) discussing at which moment we gave up on enjoying it and began reading it out of habit. I was wondering at what point people felt the same way about Bleach?

For me, there's a bunch of dumb stuff that Kubo did that I hate yet he somehow redeems himself every time. Like Rukia vs As Nodt being an almost 1 to 1 call back to espada eyeguy except Byakuya learns how to not be a jerk to his sister.

Wait. The Fullbring "arc". 95 percent garbage aside from ichigo regaining shinigaminess and Byakuya vs Tsukishima.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There is no exact moment because Hueco Mundo/Fake Karakura was so loving long and boring I can't remember any of it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah it was more like Hueco Mundo/Fake Karakura dragged on for sooo drat long and was so boring that I just kind of lost all interest.
Ichigo random-powerringup before the Aizen fight made me stop caring about anything going on in the story and now it's all just a series of events that happen.
Fullbringer arc sucked but I already did not care and it had some moments like loving BORING and the first few chapters.

The things that made me COME BACK to Bleach:

Juha Bach (until that became YWACH :smith:)
Zangetsu = Juha Bach reveal which showed mad foreshadowing. That was pretty impressive.
1000yr Blood War arc moving along at breakneck pace and generally being fun and heavy metal.
Kenpachi vs Unohana was a crystalline-pure distillation of the reasons people read Bleach.

So to me, Bleach is a series with a great start, great end, and an unfortunate terrible slog in the middle.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, Bleach was mostly a gradual slide into who cares. Largely due to the stupidly bloated cast that all had to do something every arc, dragging things out. The Execution arc was particularly bad, but there wasn't a moment, unlike the long list of Sasuke related things in Naruto, that made you throw your hands up and say gently caress this.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Actually there is one thing that made me say gently caress this. But it also kind of came creeping up on you.

And that was Aizen being ridiculously strong. Plus his 'I planned everything' schtick.

I mean Kubo has made a character that could have been a planning scheming bastard, he could have made a character that with the best ability and with amazing planning and intelligence make it through everything, but nope he went and made him best at everything all the time. Completely throws out the depth and tension from any fight involving him. I mean the fights against him could have been tense and exciting but nope, smug faces, the good-old 'i'm so powerful that nothing works on me, why dodge when I can just stand here take the hit and :smug:', and 'I planned everything since your birth, no wait I even planned everything before that, actually your whole existence is just according to my plan Ichigo'. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kenpachi vs Unohana was that reminder that Kubo got his moment in the sun for a reason. That entire fight was perfection; perfectly orchestrated, beautiful panel composition, a female character actually worth a drat.

It was like watching a long lost friend with a bad drinking problem getting his poo poo together before slipping back into old habits.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hueco Mundo(in retrospect the entirety of that) and Fake Karakura, sans the end of FK and some battles.
And Fullbringer arc was pretty lovely as well.

I think the cancellation of the anime and removal of Bleach from the main spotlight really made Kubo relax.
Though that since it's getting good now he seems to be falling into old habits. He's done a mediocre job for so long I'd think it might be hard for him to get out of that rut mindset.

He can do great, highly entertaining things and if not for some major, major problems that lasted entirely too long one might call Bleach a perfect shonen series. I don't catch myself rolling my eyes as someone explains their powers/mechanics of the world because they're mostly quite simple, and the swordpressing can get really ridiculous. Which I love.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 19, 2014

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I still spend three minutes a week reading Bleach, but the last thing I really, truly enjoyed was Ichigo's friends encountering Aizen in the teleported Karakura. Throwing an improvised gas bomb at him was the greatest thing ever.

That's what it'll look like if aliens ever invade us.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Bleach started going downhill when Orihime started getting more focus, and it started improving after she was relegated back to Chad status, so I blame everything on her.

Really though her character was one of the major problems in the entire HM arc, and in the end she ended up doing pretty much nothing that she set out to do.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Parrotine posted:

Kenpachi vs Unohana was that reminder that Kubo got his moment in the sun for a reason. That entire fight was perfection; perfectly orchestrated, beautiful panel composition, a female character actually worth a drat.

It was like watching a long lost friend with a bad drinking problem getting his poo poo together before slipping back into old habits.

It was good, but I still don't think anyone knows exactly what was going on... They turned into skeletons then were alive again. No one knows why.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bisse posted:

Actually there is one thing that made me say gently caress this. But it also kind of came creeping up on you.

And that was Aizen being ridiculously strong. Plus his 'I planned everything' schtick.

I mean Kubo has made a character that could have been a planning scheming bastard, he could have made a character that with the best ability and with amazing planning and intelligence make it through everything, but nope he went and made him best at everything all the time. Completely throws out the depth and tension from any fight involving him. I mean the fights against him could have been tense and exciting but nope, smug faces, the good-old 'i'm so powerful that nothing works on me, why dodge when I can just stand here take the hit and :smug:', and 'I planned everything since your birth, no wait I even planned everything before that, actually your whole existence is just according to my plan Ichigo'. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid!

Aizen was full of poo poo. He didn't plan anything involving Ichigo (as far as we know) and most of his other plans flat out failed. Basically, he had the perfect power for a puppetmaster type but he never used it to its full potential. Now, that could be either because he was intentionally written that way or else that Kubo just isn't capable of writing truly complex plots. You have to recall, in the SS arc Aizen's complex plan to seize the hoagie failed. At the end, he just took it via force and then ran the gently caress away when Yama showed up. During turn back the pendulum, he escalated his experiments until a huge task force of captains came out to investigate while he had an alibi. However, everyone he messed with got away knowing that he was behind it. He was still experimenting, so how would he know that vaizards wouldn't eventually become strong enough to challenge him? For the abducting Orihime bit, there was no plan. He wasn't trying to lure Ichigo to HM, split up SS's forces, or even use her power for anything in particular.

The only plan that Aizen unquestionably succeeded with was Wonderweiss sealing Yamamoto. Even then, he didn't keep Wonder in reserve or anything. He chucked him out into a bunch of captains and relied on him surviving.

I'll grant that Aizen always loving loved smugly gloating as though everything was just as planned, though.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

Aizen was full of poo poo. He didn't plan anything involving Ichigo (as far as we know) and most of his other plans flat out failed.

I'm in agreement with this. He didn't plan for Isshin to show up. He didn't plan for Ichigo's mom to show up. He didn't play matchmaker to save her, nor fluffed Isshin to create Ichigo that fateful night they banged it out.

He was lucky enough to supply the catalyst(s) to random variables.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The best part about Aizen is that people believed him whenever he claimed he planned something.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If I hate this one thing in this manga, it's Szayel and his dicksword.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Oh come on that was entertaining.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

hiddenriverninja posted:

If I hate this one thing in this manga, it's Szayel and his dicksword.

You didn't like Szayel grinning as he slid a long hard object into his mouth and down his throat?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

BlitzBlast posted:

The best part about Aizen is that people believed him whenever he claimed he planned something.

One of the worst examples of writing in this manga is that now, years later with nothing riding on it, it's still not clear if he was bullshitting or not.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Everything about the Szayel fight was ridiculous, including the length. Ishida and Renji were fighting him off and on for like 40 chapters before Mayuri showed up.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
If only the Sternritter took that much effort to finally bring down (Or the top three Espada for that matter.)

Note that I'm not actually saying I wish every fight in this arc was that length, just that the contrast between the two makes the current ones seem mundane. The Sternritter are dropping so fast I've long since forgotten that there was any kind of actual threat to Soul Society. What a disappointing note to go out on.

Probably should have reversed the time spent.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Zogundar posted:

Note that I'm not actually saying I wish every fight in this arc was that length, just that the contrast between the two makes the current ones seem mundane. The Sternritter are dropping so fast I've long since forgotten that there was any kind of actual threat to Soul Society. What a disappointing note to go out on.

That's probably related to how there are way too many sternritter, which Kubo probably did because for whatever reason he feels like he needs to give every good guy their time in the spotlight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

slev posted:

That's probably related to how there are way too many sternritter, which Kubo probably did because for whatever reason he feels like he needs to give every good guy their time in the spotlight.

Look dude he had a whole alphabet to fill.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AnonSpore posted:

Look dude he had a whole alphabet to fill.

And whose fault is that?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The english language.

Oh god guys, it's us. We're the reason why Bleach is so bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least it's not one sternritter for each hiragana character.

edit: Only for it to later be revealed that each has a second form for each corresponding katakana

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Who ever said the Sternritter are only ordered by the Latin alphabet?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Since when were you under the illusion that there were no Sternritters for the lowercase letters?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

sternritter "l" the lazy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sternritter "a" the aizen, with the power to always be behind you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BlitzBlast posted:

The english language.

Oh god guys, it's us. We're the reason why Bleach is so bad.

I was more hinting that Kubo chose to do one for every letter of the alphabet but sure we can blame English too!

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Silento posted:

sternritter "l" the lazy

Until it's revealed he was actually Sternritter Uppercase I the whole time.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Sternritter "a" the aizen, with the power to always be behind you.

And controlling him from behind is Don Flamingo

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Nilbop posted:

One of the worst examples of writing in this manga is that now, years later with nothing riding on it, it's still not clear if he was bullshitting or not.

I always figured his obviously contradictory statements made it pretty clear that he was just spewing out bullshit 24/7. The Fullbringer arc was really painful, but overall the series wasn't too bad. If hueco mundo was cut down by like 4 years, I would say the series as a whole was pretty enjoyable.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Advice posted:

Until it's revealed he was actually Sternritter Uppercase I the whole time.

What about the lower-case i?

Clearly his power-up will turn it upside down into a ! and he will be the ACTUAL strongest Sternritter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Syrant posted:

Clearly his power-up will turn it upside down into a ! and he will be the ACTUAL strongest Sternritter.

That's a great idea. We'll also meet Sternritter d and his identical twin, Sternritter backwards d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Syrant posted:

...only to get off-paneled by Kenpachi and Byakuya, a detail that is omitted from the manga until a year later when they reappear a little beaten up and a little smug.

• Locked thread