Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I appreciate it. Please excuse the intrusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

japtor posted:

Check the update, they actually fixed it already (iTunes 11.2.1).
Speaking of iTunes 11, I'm trying to get rid of it but Mavericks refuses to let me. Without going into opinions, I grabbed iTunes 10 from one of those oldversion sites but 11 still manages to interfere with my day-to-day activities. I'm sure there's some sudo poo poo I can run in Terminal, but is there an easier way to do it?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mavericks came with iTunes 11, so probably not. Try deleting the .app?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

Mavericks came with iTunes 11, so probably not.
It actually didn't. iTunes 11 was released about 5 weeks later. That said, I've never heard of anyone trying to or successfully removing iTunes from OS X. I'm not sure why you'd bother and I'm curious as to how iTunes is "interfering with your day-to-day activities."

I feel like it's one of those things that if you don't need it, just don't open it and you'll never know that it's there. See: Photo Booth. Unless you're upset about the media keys launching iTunes, then I'm not sure how to help you.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
KeyRemap4Macbook will take care of that.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Speaking of iTunes 11, I'm trying to get rid of it but Mavericks refuses to let me. Without going into opinions, I grabbed iTunes 10 from one of those oldversion sites but 11 still manages to interfere with my day-to-day activities. I'm sure there's some sudo poo poo I can run in Terminal, but is there an easier way to do it?

You obviously won't be able to do this forever, so instead of burning cycles trying to hack iTunes 10 in, why don't you just burn some energy figuring out how to make iTunes 11 work for your needs?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I feel like it's one of those things that if you don't need it, just don't open it and you'll never know that it's there. See: Photo Booth. Unless you're upset about the media keys launching iTunes, then I'm not sure how to help you.
Well for one, iTunes 11 tries to do poo poo when I open iTunes 10 so it throws an error that does more or less nothing but express its dissatisfaction about "why did you open this instead of iTunes 11?", but it's really annoying to get that every time you open it. When I open music files from the desktop, it automatically goes to 11, and the Quick Look preview also sometimes has a bit of a tantrum about how I haven't set up iTunes 11 correctly.

echobucket posted:

You obviously won't be able to do this forever, so instead of burning cycles trying to hack iTunes 10 in, why don't you just burn some energy figuring out how to make iTunes 11 work for your needs?
My needs include "shouldn't look like a cheap billboard ad," which iTunes 11 just does, so unless people make skins for this kinda thing (and it looks like they do, but most of them seem to be made by bronies, so I guess you could say "no pony poo poo" is an unfortunately necessary addendum to my billboard rule), that's unfortunately not an option.

Still, I'm quite fine with jumping through hoops if it'll keep poo poo like that out of my hair. I'm still using the final version of Skype 2 because it was the last Mac build before the malwarey changes they made in versions 5 and later, and that'll probably keep working until they make a jump comparable to going from OS Classic to OSX.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 19, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I just upgraded to 10.9 (from, uh, 10.6.8 :v:)
Just go back to Snow Leopard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It actually didn't. iTunes 11 was released about 5 weeks later. That said, I've never heard of anyone trying to or successfully removing iTunes from OS X. I'm not sure why you'd bother and I'm curious as to how iTunes is "interfering with your day-to-day activities."

No, iTunes 11 was released in November 2012: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history#iTunes_11.x

Mavericks came with iTunes 11; it was Mountain Lion that got the upgrade a few weeks later.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

No, iTunes 11 was released in November 2012: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history#iTunes_11.x

Mavericks came with iTunes 11; it was Mountain Lion that got the upgrade a few weeks later.
Oh yeah I lost a year. 2013 didn't really happen for me. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I would if I could, but I don't even think Snow Leopard is compatible with half the hardware I have. Mavericks is almost functionally the same and I have no complaints about the OS itself (and it's absolutely required for testing MonoGame builds), but I've never seen a Mac OS before that gave me trouble for wanting to clear out some of the native software.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Again, iTunes isn't just an application shipped in the image, it's a pretty integrated part of the OS; like Internet Explorer is (was?) on Windows. Which means there's really no choice. I'd get used to iTunes 11, personally, because it's not like they're going to go back to how it was before, they're going to move forward and evolve it even further.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't understand how it 'looks like a billboard'... I looked up screenshots of iTunes 10, the UI is a little bit different but all of the music features are in the same place. I don't get it.

edit:

what's the problem?

Pivo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 19, 2014

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Pivo posted:

what's the problem?

Special snowflake.

edit: a word

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Well for one, iTunes 11 tries to do poo poo when I open iTunes 10 so it throws an error that does more or less nothing but express its dissatisfaction about "why did you open this instead of iTunes 11?", but it's really annoying to get that every time you open it. When I open music files from the desktop, it automatically goes to 11, and the Quick Look preview also sometimes has a bit of a tantrum about how I haven't set up iTunes 11 correctly.

My needs include "shouldn't look like a cheap billboard ad," which iTunes 11 just does, so unless people make skins for this kinda thing (and it looks like they do, but most of them seem to be made by bronies, so I guess you could say "no pony poo poo" is an unfortunately necessary addendum to my billboard rule), that's unfortunately not an option.

Still, I'm quite fine with jumping through hoops if it'll keep poo poo like that out of my hair. I'm still using the final version of Skype 2 because it was the last Mac build before the malwarey changes they made in versions 5 and later, and that'll probably keep working until they make a jump comparable to going from OS Classic to OSX.

You should probably start taking your medicine again. It'll probably stop the real billboards from talking to you as well.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Pivo posted:

I don't understand how it 'looks like a billboard'... I looked up screenshots of iTunes 10, the UI is a little bit different but all of the music features are in the same place. I don't get it.

edit:

what's the problem?
I'm also kind of confused because if you turn on the sidebar and look at your library in songs view like you've done in that picture it looks pretty much identical to iTunes 10. I actually rather like the new interface since most of the stuff I have in iTunes is full albums so the new album/artist views work pretty well for me :shrug:

Edit: if anything, it looks better because iTunes 11 has coloured icons in the sidebar instead of the flat grey ones.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 20, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mercurius posted:

I'm also kind of confused because if you turn on the sidebar and look at your library in songs view like you've done in that picture it looks pretty much identical to iTunes 10. I actually rather like the new interface since most of the stuff I have in iTunes is full albums so the new album/artist views work pretty well for me :shrug:

Yep I actually usually use Artists view mostly unless I'm looking for something in a compilation that I can't recall the name of - then I use search...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Maybe my first impression was too negative. I only saw it without any tracks loaded into the library so I assumed it would permanently look like the start page, which actually is hideous.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Maybe my first impression was too negative. I only saw it without any tracks loaded into the library so I assumed it would permanently look like the start page, which actually is hideous.

:golfclap:

I literally don't even know how to get to the "start page" from the UI.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

This billboard is blinding. 11/10.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pivo posted:

:golfclap:

I literally don't even know how to get to the "start page" from the UI.
"Welcome page" would've been more accurate.

This isn't a very encouraging front page image.

e: oh but fuckin' around with it now, at least they made changing the icon easier than having to mine into Package and change the .icns file. Whatev', as long as I can get the sidebar and dump that album view.

e2: resetting the shuffle is a longer process than before but I guess it's better than getting errors associated with having two different versions of iTunes on at once.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 20, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The White Dragon posted:

e2: resetting the shuffle is a longer process than before but I guess it's better than getting errors associated with having two different versions of iTunes on at once.
Resetting the shuffle? It's a button click in both versions.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
What's the shortcut this time? I used to do it the sloppy way: pause, switch playlist, unpause.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
iTunes 11 is dumb in a whole bunch of useless ways, but you really do just have to suck it up. :woz:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The White Dragon posted:

What's the shortcut this time? I used to do it the sloppy way: pause, switch playlist, unpause.

Click the shuffle button twice.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I have a strange display problem here that proving to be difficult to google. Any insight would be appreciated.

The problem first occurred last week, when I was adjusting the look of Terminal. When I went to set the color of the background using the Apple color selector, my dock, the menubar and my Chrome windows all blocked out in a single color. They seemed to behave like normal (popping out and back, resizing window, etc.) but there was no detail inside any of them, just a featureless expanse of color. Oddly, Terminal itself seemed to be fine.

Then it happened again today, except I was in Excel and coloring the text in a row. Again, Excel itself was fine, but the menubar, dock and Chrome freaked out. If you selected a menu, it would appear as you held down on it, but then revert to the block of color when you released.

I tried several things to get a refresh (restart Finder, cover up window and then reveal it, resize window, etc.) but the behaviour persists until a machine restart.

Technical details: MacBook Pro 2012 model, running Mavericks.

Any ideas?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hello fellow goons.

Just curious, what is a good anti-virus for OS X?

My girlfriend just watched something on project free tv and shortly after it has given a malware warning. I'd like to double check everything is fine with her MBA, just in case. :cheers:

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
get clamxav from the app store

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

outlier posted:

I have a strange display problem here that proving to be difficult to google. Any insight would be appreciated.

The problem first occurred last week, when I was adjusting the look of Terminal. When I went to set the color of the background using the Apple color selector, my dock, the menubar and my Chrome windows all blocked out in a single color. They seemed to behave like normal (popping out and back, resizing window, etc.) but there was no detail inside any of them, just a featureless expanse of color. Oddly, Terminal itself seemed to be fine.

Then it happened again today, except I was in Excel and coloring the text in a row. Again, Excel itself was fine, but the menubar, dock and Chrome freaked out. If you selected a menu, it would appear as you held down on it, but then revert to the block of color when you released.

I tried several things to get a refresh (restart Finder, cover up window and then reveal it, resize window, etc.) but the behaviour persists until a machine restart.

Technical details: MacBook Pro 2012 model, running Mavericks.

Any ideas?

Screenshot or Licecap?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

crazysim posted:

Screenshot or Licecap?

Didn't take one. And now, I've tried to trigger the bug by doing the same things (e.g. adjusting background color in Terminal) and nothing is happening. Wierd.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I have a new MBA and am using Mac OS as a daily driver for the first time since version 7 in the 90's. Coming from Windows and Ubuntu. I'm having a certain issue.

I'm using the Macbook mostly for photography organization and print design work, so pretty much the only things I keep on the SSD are the OS and Apps. My standard workflow for photos is to import with Lightroom from an SD card to a USB HD, then review & reject images in Adobe Bridge. Once I've reviewed the set, trash images are sent from USB HD to Recycle Bin from within Bridge, then all contents of the DCIM folder on my SD card are sent to the Recycle Bin using Finder. The last step is just to empty Recycle Bin.

I'm explaining this because the system doesn't seem to take kindly to this workflow. Several times I've had to reboot because the Recycle Bin will fail to empty and the SD card will fail to eject because it is "in use." Yesterday a reboot failed to resolve the issue and I had to verify & repair permissions. They were definitely hosed up and Disk Utility took a while to repair them. My boss has had similar problems with the recycle bin on her iMac in the past. My computer is barely over two weeks old. I've heard that Macs sometimes have issues managing file permissions before. Is this the Achilles' Heel of Mac OS, is my workflow just bad, or one or more of my disks just P's of S?

Bonus questions:

Is there a shortcut to delete files without first sending them to the Recycle Bin? Does sending files from an SD card to the Recycle Bin actually write the files to the Macbook's SSD before the bin is emptied? I'm moving multiple Gigs of photos around and would love it if I could just keep them from ever touching the SSD.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Sending files on external storage to the Trash should mean that they just get moved into a hidden trash folder (.Trashes) on that volume, so they aren't getting copied to your SSD.

There's no shortcut that I know of to bypass the Trash in the GUI -- you can hop into terminal if you're comfortable with that and use the rm command to delete files permanently.

There's nothing in your workflow that stands out as something that would cause problems. When you say the Trash fails to empty, is there a specific error message?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The 'deleting files' progress bar appears, then disappears before anything happens. The 'empty bin' sound plays when the bar disappears.

Hopefully now that permissions have been repaired the problem won't re-occur, but I haven't done an import/delete yet. I guess I'll wait and see :tinfoil:

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I have a new MBA and am using Mac OS as a daily driver for the first time since version 7 in the 90's. Coming from Windows and Ubuntu. I'm having a certain issue.

I'm using the Macbook mostly for photography organization and print design work, so pretty much the only things I keep on the SSD are the OS and Apps. My standard workflow for photos is to import with Lightroom from an SD card to a USB HD, then review & reject images in Adobe Bridge. Once I've reviewed the set, trash images are sent from USB HD to Recycle Bin from within Bridge, then all contents of the DCIM folder on my SD card are sent to the Recycle Bin using Finder. The last step is just to empty Recycle Bin.

I'm explaining this because the system doesn't seem to take kindly to this workflow. Several times I've had to reboot because the Recycle Bin will fail to empty and the SD card will fail to eject because it is "in use." Yesterday a reboot failed to resolve the issue and I had to verify & repair permissions. They were definitely hosed up and Disk Utility took a while to repair them. My boss has had similar problems with the recycle bin on her iMac in the past. My computer is barely over two weeks old. I've heard that Macs sometimes have issues managing file permissions before. Is this the Achilles' Heel of Mac OS, is my workflow just bad, or one or more of my disks just P's of S?

Bonus questions:

Is there a shortcut to delete files without first sending them to the Recycle Bin? Does sending files from an SD card to the Recycle Bin actually write the files to the Macbook's SSD before the bin is emptied? I'm moving multiple Gigs of photos around and would love it if I could just keep them from ever touching the SSD.

Why are you using bridge for this? Lightroom has an excellent workflow for this. Go through in lightroom and use ‘P’ to pick, ‘U’ to unpick and ‘X’ to reject. Then when you get done making picks, go to Library.. .Refine Photos. This ill mark all picks as unpicked and unpicked as rejects. You can either go through and do another round of picks, or you can use the “Delete Rejected Photos” option to actually move them to the recycle bin.

BTW, the “in use” warning is usually because some program has the files in question open. I’m guessing since you are importing into lightroom and lightroom still has references to those photos in it’s library. If you close lightroom it should let go and let you empty the trash. However, lightroom will still know about those photos in it’s library so you’ll have a bunch of broken links in lightroom. Moral of this story, don’t delete from bridge.

One more thing is to check the delete on import option in lightroom, that’ll remove the files from your SD card.

Although I never do this. I always leave them on the SD card and reformat the card in the camera. Since the card uses FAT format, I don’t trust it to be a reliable filesystem over the long run, so a clean format before I use it again is my preferred method.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 21, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

echobucket posted:

I always leave them on the SD card and reformat the card in the camera. Since the card uses FAT format, I don’t trust it to be a reliable filesystem over the long run, so a clean format before I use it again is my preferred method.

I was going to say exactly this. I don't know any photographer that doesn't reformat in-camera.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Yesterday a reboot failed to resolve the issue and I had to verify & repair permissions. They were definitely hosed up and Disk Utility took a while to repair them. My boss has had similar problems with the recycle bin on her iMac in the past. My computer is barely over two weeks old. I've heard that Macs sometimes have issues managing file permissions before. Is this the Achilles' Heel of Mac OS, is my workflow just bad, or one or more of my disks just P's of S?

It's more like the Repair Permissions tool in Disk Utility is terrible bullshit which is virtually guaranteed to produce huge reams of false positives. Because it makes so much noise, it convinces people there must be real problems that it's fixing, and they feel a need to do it a lot since it almost always seems to have something to do, and when things resolve themselves for other reasons they'll swear fixing permissions was what fixed it, and they spread the religion on to folks like you.

Phone posting so I don't want to go into the gory details of permissions repair and why it doesn't mean as much as you might think right now, but one thing to understand is that it literally doesn't check any of your data files such as these photos you had problems with. It has no idea what their permissions should be, so it assumes you know what you're doing.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wow this is all very helpful, thanks. It seems like Ubuntu has the same general approach to permissions as osx and I've never had to mess with them while using it, and I'd expect a commercial os to be even less prone to having such problems. I just see a lot of workaround/issue resolution instructions on various Mac forums that mention fixing permissions. It seemed to work for me in the sense that the problem went away after repairing permissions, but then again looking at the action log of the repair process nothing jumped out at me as being related to trash or mounted volumes. Not that I know what most of the output means anyway though.

And thanks for the Lightroom tips. I just started using it a few days ago and haven't really had time to look into it very much.

Formatting the SD card with the camera is a great solution that never occurred to me. Will definitely be doing that from now on.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Wow this is all very helpful, thanks. It seems like Ubuntu has the same general approach to permissions as osx and I've never had to mess with them while using it, and I'd expect a commercial os to be even less prone to having such problems. I just see a lot of workaround/issue resolution instructions on various Mac forums that mention fixing permissions.

Still phoneposting but Linux familiarity makes it easy to explain. Permissions repair is equivalent to checking that the permissions on all files installed from dpkgs provided by Ubuntu are correct. Except implemented poorly, so often it generates tons of meaningless noise when there's really nothing wrong, and in the Apple world the equivalent of a Linux package manager is used for a much narrower range of installed software, so it covers much less territory than an equivalent Debian tool would.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BobHoward posted:

It's more like the Repair Permissions tool in Disk Utility is terrible bullshit which is virtually guaranteed to produce huge reams of false positives.
In fact, here is a short list of error messages that you should always ignore: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm a big Audiobook person and Itunes 11 thoroughly hosed that up for me. Nothing is chapterized anymore.

Any good alternatives?

Also, discovered this app Yoink, it's awesome. So simple but useful. When you drag anything (mp3s, apps, docs, urls) it opens a little box for you to put it in until you get the other app open. Since Itunes is a picky jerk about where I drag my mp3s it's pretty nice to not have to go back to finder/pathfinder 5 times.

vty fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 22, 2014