Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Could have done it with a little bit less glee on his face while his son tears apart one of his only friends.

Turns out the dummy plug works great and he no longer has to rely on literal children to save the world with their apocalyptically powerful weapons of blasphemous might, seems like decent cause for celebration. I mean Gendo's a terrible father and human being in general, but I can forgive him his handling of Bardiel because when your business is saving all of civilization from existential doomso you can doom it on your own terms you kinda have to weigh the two options of "have my son murder one of his best friends" or "have all of humanity disintegrated because we let an incomprehensible alien intelligence make contact with another incomprehensible alien intelligence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

Turns out the dummy plug works great and he no longer has to rely on literal children to save the world with their apocalyptically powerful weapons of blasphemous might, seems like decent cause for celebration. I mean Gendo's a terrible father and human being in general, but I can forgive him his handling of Bardiel because when your business is saving all of civilization from existential doomso you can doom it on your own terms you kinda have to weigh the two options of "have my son murder one of his best friends" or "have all of humanity disintegrated because we let an incomprehensible alien intelligence make contact with another incomprehensible alien intelligence."

Oh yes. Because after that point the dummy plugs were used extensively and the young pilots never had to see combat again. Oh wait no, the teens were still forced to keep on fighting and nothing had actually changed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I forget, was it ever actually explained why they never tried the Dummy Plugs with the other two? Unit-01 was obviously highly resistant to it after the first time, but I can't seem to remember if it was ever said why the others never had it used. I'm presuming it's some sort of compatibility error because Unit-01 was the only one made from Lilith's flesh, while the other two were made from Adam's, and the base for the Dummy Plug was Lilith's soul (via Rei), but I don't remember if it was ever explicitly stated.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

Oh yes. Because after that point the dummy plugs were used extensively and the young pilots never had to see combat again. Oh wait no, the teens were still forced to keep on fighting and nothing had actually changed.

But yeah, it's not Gendo's fault Unit 01 got real uppity about the thing after the incident with Bardiel. Or Ritsuko melting the other Rei clones. Or SEELE figuring out how to actually use the drat things correctly... actually, no, most of those are his fault in some way or another.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

But yeah, it's not Gendo's fault Unit 01 got real uppity about the thing after the incident with Bardiel. Or Ritsuko melting the other Rei clones. Or SEELE figuring out how to actually use the drat things correctly... actually, no, most of those are his fault in some way or another.

So how did they turn out when used against Zeruel? I remember very well when two of them laid down their lives so that the rest of the pack could bring it down. Oh wait, it was up to the brigade of mentally scarred teens to deal with Zeruel. What about Arael or Armisael or Tabris. Surely they must have helped out at least once during the various angel attacks. Yes the dummy-plugs worked but they were never used during any anti-angel combat.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

So how did they turn out when used against Zeruel? I remember very well when two of them laid down their lives so that the rest of the pack could bring it down. Oh wait, it was up to the brigade of mentally scarred teens to deal with Zeruel.

Keel lied, Rei II died. :911:

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

So how did they turn out when used against Zeruel? I remember very well when two of them laid down their lives so that the rest of the pack could bring it down. Oh wait, it was up to the brigade of mentally scarred teens to deal with Zeruel. What about Arael or Armisael or Tabris. Surely they must have helped out at least once during the various angel attacks. Yes the dummy-plugs worked but they were never used during any anti-angel combat.

You can't really fault Gendo for not using working dummy plugs. At the time of Arael, Armisael, or even Tabris the dummy plug(s) available only synced with Unit 01 once. Even so, they DID try to use it. It isn't even until EoE that we find out that not only are there other dummy plugs, but that they do in fact work! Sadly, they are being used by SEELE.

Am I the only one that thinks that Gendo is getting blamed for stuff that he didn't really mess with. For example, Shinji having to fight Unit 03 with a live pilot inside IS Gendo's doing, but making the pilot Toji was not his decision if I recall correctly. That falls moreso on Ritsuko from what the episode suggested. Hell, Gendo was actually willing to give Toji a chance since he wasn't identified as an angel by the magi right away.

jetpackhewy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 20, 2014

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Ive watched the series and EoE and im just wondering what was the difference between Gendos plan and Seeles plan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Anime Sandwich posted:

Ive watched the series and EoE and im just wondering what was the difference between Gendos plan and Seeles plan.

Gendo's king.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Anime Sandwich posted:

Spoilers for bisses sake;

If I remember correctly, Gendo mainly wanted to brink back Yui some how whatever the cost.

SEELE want to basically push reset as humans had reached their peak.

Both are terrible ideas and really shows the true bad guys were all of SEELE and Gendo (Gendo is a part of SEELE technically right?)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Sandwich posted:

Seele wants Instrumentality to occur to trigger the next step in human evolution by triggering Third Impact and wiping out the plebs and having the elite (themselves) become a god within an Eva unit.

Gendo doesn't really care so long as he ends up inside Eva-01 with Yui.

Yui got in Eva-01 in the first place to ensure that Shinji would be the pilot so that he would be the one to make the decision, ultimately resulting in a human soul (her) immortalised in the body of a god to prove we existed.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013

JetpackHowwy posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that Gendo is getting blamed for stuff that he didn't really mess with. For example, Shinji having to fight Unit 03 with a live pilot inside IS Gendo's doing, but making the pilot Toji was not his decision if I recall correctly. That falls moreso on Ritsuko from what the episode suggested. Hell, Gendo was actually willing to give Toji a chance since he wasn't identified as an angel by the magi right away.
Nobody walks out of the Bardiel fight favourably. Asuka could have told Shinji who the pilot was on many occasions, but refused to do so for unknown reasons (most likely: spite). Rei also knew about the pilot, and didn't tell Shinji even after Shinji asked who it was; she also had the opportunity to open fire on Bardiel but instead refused to fight, passing all responsibility over to Shinji (something she tries to atone for in the fight with Zeruel).

To his credit, Gendo waits until the very last moment to switch to the dummy, and even makes an effort to convince Shinji to fight the angel. Switching to the dummy was necessary for the survival of all concerned, but it also happens to play perfectly into Gendo's plan as Unit 01 awakens next episode.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Genod could even have just lied and said "Nope, no pilot, go nuts." But nobody's perfectly Machiavellian.

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, was it ever actually explained why they never tried the Dummy Plugs with the other two?

They're seen as weapons of last resort, and afterwards nobody gets a chance to use them, or they're not useful. Also, they don't work very well; there's no control, the only time we see them there's carnage as the Eva goes semi-berserk (and do you think anyone wants a repeat of that?), and Shinji threatens to wreck Central Dogma and then runs away. You know Asuka wouldn' take to it any better, and there might not be any effect from using it on Rei. They're just not that useful.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ok so. I promised I was going to post after watching both End of Evangelion and the last 2 eps. I'm going to break that promise. Because right now I. I just dont know.

25: Okay more talky bits. Sure, I sig these internal monologues but want to see the story damnit! The Human Instrumentality project started? Ok Gendo killed Misato and that scientist girl, this is surreal. Hahaha they're reusing that clip of Asuka in only a towel pointing at the screen. Are they saving budget this ep for the finale? "Misato you are such a slut. You're a slut. Slut slut slut slut slut" what the hell is this. There's only like 10mins left of the episode what is this? What's this about humanity being merged into a single entity, is that whats going on. Ok I get it shinji wants to be alone.

What? That's it? That's the end? What did I just watch

Next episode better not be just talky poo poo. What the gently caress is this?

26: :downs:..................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress AAAAAA AAA WHAT ABOUT THE. EVERYTHING. WHAT. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

End of Eva is starting right now. This better not be another loving joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bisse posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress AAAAAA AAA WHAT ABOUT THE. EVERYTHING. WHAT. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Congratulations.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Szmitten posted:

Gendo doesn't really care so long as he ends up inside Eva-01 with Yui.

We do get a big hint that he doesn't support SEELE's vision, based on him rejecting their ultimatum in EoE with the comment "Death creates nothing." It seems that he at least wants to avoid that whole triggering-the-next-evolution-step-and-ascend-to-godhood businesses.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bisse posted:

Oh no worries. Just go forward. Do it. :unsmigghh:

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Bisse posted:

I love episodes 25 and 26, but this is the appropriate reaction :allears:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Beautiful. This is bringing up all sorts of fond memories of when I got my brother to watch the series years ago. I may need to rewatch.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Bisse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KH2gc11XQU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bisse posted:

I watched this on VHS a long time ago. I was so, so excited to watch the end of the series.

I had to check the box and tape over and over again to make sure I hadn't been ripped off.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w18Sfg4wdmA:colbert:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8pvC3mxGo

Don't worry, Shinji is just as confused as you are about the ending.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Say what you want about Spike that one bit is fantastic.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Bisse posted:

Congratulations.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Bisse posted:

Oh don't worry, it's moreso with what you were use to. Just be sure to keep on watching. :downs:

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Congratulations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9SL-mZtVY

Welcome to the Eva cult, Bisse. :downs:

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 20, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bisse posted:

God's in his Heaven
All's right with the world

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I recently showed the series and EoE to my college anime club, and got to see these same reactions. Doesn't make this any less amazing.:allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

EoE is a bonus, the real rite of initiation is watching the final episodes. Congratulations Bisse.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

End of Eva trip report:

Hah, SEGA logo. How many logos are there, 10?
Shinji in water? Nightmare? He's asking help from a dead Asuka, stop it. Whoops, boobies DID HE JUST WHACK OFF TO A DEAD GIRL. HAND FULL O CUM SAYS "YES".
So thats the Human Instrumentality Project, all humanity becomes one. Ok explanations. Thank youuuu. And thats what they needed the Lance for.
NERV invasion time!
More mom hacking. :unsmigghh:
What is Lilith? Thats the same thing Kaworu was talking about. Oh asuka isnt dead? Dead enough to pilot an Eva though. Come on. Aha theyre just gonna hide her. Man, Rei just loves to float around in yellow liquids. Holy crap this army invasion is a brutal slaughter. Shinji with that sulking! Aaah so thats who shut off power in that episode, these army guys, so they could find the HQ. Misato saving Shinji GJ! He's back with MORE SULK. Sulklord, lord of sulking.
Bomb and then Rain of Fire! Nice.
Mankind is 18th angel huh. Plot twiiiist. Haha Asukas Eva is her mother???! New karate move: Boat block. Helicopter wrestling! White bat monsters? These are evas? Eva angels :o Wow theyve got freaky faces.
Misato got hit! Man shinji looks extremely torn up about killing Kaworu. Haha kiss and "we'll do the rest when you get back", this show :golfclap:. Whup, she died.

So well animated fight. Nice kills. Head spikes ahahaha. Haha that scientist girl's mom chose her lover over her daugther! Was that MAGI unit the one which was her as a woman? That is hosed up and a nice but sad ending to her story. No happy endings in sight!
STOP. CRYING. CRYBABY. She did it she killed all of them. Lance? The gently caress? No happy ending here either omg. Haha they all regenerated trollololol. Eating her oh gawd intestines disgusting. She dead. This is morbid. Omg Unit01 devil face is tripping balls. Wow that is one disgusting eva corpse.

Hah they're doing it episodical, nice!
Maybe this ending won't suck! Actually it's already 100x better.

26:
Her arm just fell off. Boob entry? Wtfuck. Lance is back! B..Back to point at his throat I guess. Seele chant. This is on drugs. Evas forming tree of life. The explosion is an eye?? No it is an egg now.
YES gently caress you Gendo finally someone standing up to you. Gmornin Adam. Oh those 7 eyes were just a mask? Hahaha Rei became an angel. Floating through matter and all. Kaworu face now. This is on crack.
Ok he is building a sand castle. And now he is alone. Is that a sun between two tits? This whole scene is just hosed up. What is the point of this scene. Misato loving and talking about feeling wanted. Holy poo poo this asuka and shinji talkscene. "I need help help me" "No". He's strangling her. Its like an LCD trip now.

Gigantic Rei.
Humanity doomed because shinji has mental issues. The gently caress is
Everyone going poof. Being happ = exploding into yellow liquid, I never knew
Better to be one entity than to feel lonely eh
So the accident with Yui was the Eva freaked out and ate her. Ok Gendos words now make him seem like less of a cock.
Orgasmical lance insertin who the gently caress animated this, who designed this, this is [pick your drug combination] kinds of hosed up.
Poof goes the world.
This is on heroin
What are my eyes seeing
"If our hearts are separated then the AT fields will hurt us again" deep poo poo
R...real life?
I am watching a cinema hall. I am watching a movie which is watching a movie hall.
Words are words. :words: I understand nothing
A sea of the primordial soup of life sounds like a nice place to be.
Yes he is undoing it! World is a bleeding disco cube. No wait thats the egg.
This is so deep and so on. These words are deep
Rei head falling onto the planet is so drat creepy
This is a drugged up gore fest.
That halfcut rei face. The world looks like Hell now. Saturn-ring of blood. Wow. i was expecting everyone to reappear but instead there is crosses and crucified things and blood everywhere.
HE IS STILL STRANGLING ASUKA. WHY. Haha what the gently caress kind of ending was that.

Thus concludes the Eva watching, my mind is melted now, I think I need to go for a walk.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bisse posted:

IT JUST KEEPS TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOWN

It's always a treat to see someone experience EoE for the first time :unsmigghh:

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Bisse posted:

Thus concludes the Eva watching, my mind is melted now, I think I need to go for a walk.

Congrats. Hope you're not as depressed as I was. This poo poo hit me really hard the first time around.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never forget 5/20/14. The day a child became an adult. Long live Evangelion.:911:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Sincerest thanks, forums poster Bisse--through you, some of my earliest anime moments have been relived. You have done us a great service. Congratulations.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
When I was young and still did stupid things I put on End of Evangelion on one of the unused computers at a LAN party a friend of mine was hosting.

We'd drink, play games, and every once and a while see what Shinji was up to.

"Did he just masturbate to that comatose girl?" "Yeah."
"Are those vaginas on that giant naked girl's hands?" "Yeah."
"Is everyone on Earth turning into goo?" "Yeah."
"Console Role Player, you watch hosed up anime." "Yeah."

That was also the night I invented whiskey-beer.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
EoE makes about as much sense as you got out of it, and personally that's why I like it. :downs: