Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Cryohazard posted:

My rule is to allow the host and the first phantom to duke it out without interruption, UNLESS the host starts trying to heal, at which point he gets a Forbidden Sun in the face.

Doesn't it seem a bit selfish to you to actively gently caress over your partner just so you can have your honorable 1v1 duels? It isn't exactly an even match when the host can just fall through a hole or run downstairs/around a corner and heal, well out of range of your Forbidden Sun to the face. Why join the 2v1 covenant when you could join any of the covenants based around 1v1 battles? Hell, you don't even need to join a covenant to do it, just go to the Iron Keep bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just a heads-up for anyone who likes Dark Souls merch:
Today's (May 19th only) $11 tees at The Yetee are both DS related.

https://theyetee.com

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Doesn't it seem a bit selfish to you to actively gently caress over your partner just so you can have your honorable 1v1 duels? It isn't exactly an even match when the host can just fall through a hole or run downstairs/around a corner and heal, well out of range of your Forbidden Sun to the face. Why join the 2v1 covenant when you could join any of the covenants based around 1v1 battles? Hell, you don't even need to join a covenant to do it, just go to the Iron Keep bridge.

I knew it! He was the one with no honor all along!

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I've been playing with a greatshield, and I think it's safe to say it's more weapon than shield to me. Not to mention incredibly fun to use.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Iron Keep bridge is a place of scum and villainy.

Well not really, this is actually pretty rare.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah, 1 for estus, 1 for homeward bones, 1 for random healing items, 1 for random buffing items, and 6 for VERY... GOOD.

I always keep a slot for throwing knives. They've made a big difference for my dual-caestus Bellbro.
Once I've hit them them 3-4 combos and used all my stamina, one well-placed throwing knife can often finish the job before they can run off and heal.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I just ran into the biggest pile of bullshit. Was rushing through Harvest Valley with the bellbro ring on, right before the gate to the second bonfire, when I get summoned. It's a guy and a phantom trying to challenge the gargoyles, so I'm repeatedly punching the guy trying to enter to reset his animation, and right before I land the killing blow, the game sends me back to Harvest Valley. Reason? World master challenged the area boss. Despite, you know, the fact that he was swinging a great club at me when I was yanked back out. Then in the time it takes me to close this message, I get hit by a hex ball from an overseer because the game teleported me down from the ladder I climbed specifically to be in a safe spot, oneshotting me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Control Volume posted:

I get hit by a hex ball from an overseer

Wait, those things can hit you? :staredog:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Wait, those things can hit you? :staredog:

You have to stand very still, which you might be doing, for example, if you're closing an unexpected message.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Trying to have some "fun" pretending I'm the Pursuer. It's hard getting use to how ridiculously bad his sword is. With its slow swing speed I've never been backstabbed more. And despite getting use to the ability to aim after swinging, it doesn't really do a whole lot since hitting a rolling character doesn't hurt them. Does anyone have any tips for how to use Ultra Greatswords? It seems you just have to bait the first hit, then R1 spam + stunlock opponents to death.

am I the only person who really liked this weapon and its moveset? I probably had my greatest run of PvP victories using it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

am I the only person who really liked this weapon and its moveset? I probably had my greatest run of PvP victories using it.

I liked it for PvE, it's really just useful for stunlock in PvP though which is really boring.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Just a heads-up for anyone who likes Dark Souls merch:
Today's (May 19th only) $11 tees at The Yetee are both DS related.

https://theyetee.com

These loving rock. I had to drop money for the second one, it's just too cool.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

The Bone King set and the Lion Mage set work really well together. I used only pyromancies on this character. Up until Straid it loving sucked.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I wanted to share something I made.

A version of the Dark Souls Map Viewer that can run on Mac and Linux! It's here on Github, or by direct download. Runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows if you have Python and a web browser installed. Chrome or Firefox recommended.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's really cool.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It looks cool, but I have no idea how to get it to work.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are you on Mac or Windows? If you're on Mac you can just open launch, then go to http://localhost:8000 in a browser. If you have windows you need to have python installed and run server.py.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Run either launch or server.py and then go to http://localhost:8000 in any web browser."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Windows, and I have python installed. Trying to go to http://localhost:8000/ just leads to an empty page.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Windows, and I have python installed. Trying to go to http://localhost:8000/ just leads to an empty page.

Hm. What browser? What does the console output look like? I knew I should have tested this more.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Van Kraken posted:

Hm. What browser? What does the console output look like? I knew I should have tested this more.

code:
Aidan@penny ~/dark-souls-map-viewer
$ ls
css/  data/  index.html  js/  launch*  LICENSE.txt  README.md  server.py*
Server.py works fine for me.

e: Oh, haha. I had tried running "setup.py" and assumed it was misnamed in the download and was trying to point that out, I was just remembering wrong though, it's named as you said it would be.

Read fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 20, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Giving me a syntax error. It's easily possible I've ballsed something up on my end though.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I've tested it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on Mac, but only on Chrome in Windows. Internet Explorer doesn't work at all. I don't know about any other browsers. Also I really hope whatever browser/computer you use supports WebGL antialiasing, because it turns out when that doesn't work it looks like poo poo. :v:

e: Can you paste the error?

e2: If you were using python 3 that was the problem. I fixed this, so pull the changes or re-download and try it again.

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 20, 2014

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Far cuter than it has any right to be.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Despite all of that thinly disguised weapons-grade mad, I don't particularly give a poo poo about fellow bellbros, and I prefer 1v1 fights. Plus, I need Titanite Chunks.

If you're getting beasted by trespassers, maybe you should have stuck to the Way of Blue. :smug:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Stargate posted:

Far cuter than it has any right to be.

That's because the skeletons are smiling.

Still though. That's really nito.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Cryohazard posted:

Despite all of that thinly disguised weapons-grade mad, I don't particularly give a poo poo about fellow bellbros, and I prefer 1v1 fights. Plus, I need Titanite Chunks.

If you're getting beasted by trespassers, maybe you should have stuck to the Way of Blue. :smug:

To be fair, the best part of this is the few times it turns on you because the host is just stalling for a white phantom summon and you let your only hope for a fair fight die. Or a black phantom shows up and takes the hosts side. Either or.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well that's fuckin' Nito. I bet that's hot as hell to wear but it would be fun to get on public transportation wearing it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Needs a guy wearing a wagon wheel following him around. :haw:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is it possible to ascetic the drangleic castle king's gate bonfire twice to get wellager to sell the ng++ stuff, or do you have to do all 3 playthroughs?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Have to do the playthroughs. The dude in Majula is the only one ascetics works on I think.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Cryohazard posted:

Hey, whatever you want to do man. It is just a video game in the end, so there's no point in me getting mad over it. If I run across non combatants I usually just attempt to Lifedrain Patch, suicide, and move on to the next fight so I'm no better than than the honor guys I complain about. If you really need chunks that badly, Chloanne sells them infinitely after killing nashandra, which is usually way more efficient than bellbroing for me, and if you aren't there yet, you might find that a 2v1 fight is a lot quicker and consistent than trying to force duels into the equation.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is it possible to ascetic the drangleic castle king's gate bonfire twice to get wellager to sell the ng++ stuff, or do you have to do all 3 playthroughs?

Unfortunately no, you'll have to actually be in NG++. That's about the only thing keeping me from the platinum trophy since I never feel like playing through again.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Can you still do the Shrine of Winter skip if you delete your game data and play offline? If it still works, you would just have to get a Fragrant Branch and use it on Rosabeth, then make it into the castle to buy the three spells.

Shrine skip

Bad info edited out here

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 22, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It takes more than 3 times because the Shrine's requirement goes up by another million souls for every + on your NG, but yeah. I played through NG and NG+, but didn't want to do a whole NG++ run so I just fought the Rotten a bunch of times. It worked.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Static Rook posted:

Can you still do the Shrine of Winter skip if you delete your game data and play offline? If it still works, you would just have to get a Fragrant Branch and use it on Rosabeth, then make it into the castle to buy the three spells.

Shrine skip

If the Shrine skip doesn't work anymore, the quickest way to open the Shrine would be to drop into the pit right from the start. Get down to The Rotten, kill it and use ascetics to kill it 3 more times. That will give you enough Great Souls to open the Shrine.

EDIT

I'm just about finished with my NG+ run, so I'll be testing the Shrine skip soon.

There's always the NEW shrine of winter skip. The video's only two weeks old and there hasn't been a patch since then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Berzerker posted:

It takes more than 3 times because the Shrine's requirement goes up by another million souls for every + on your NG, but yeah. I played through NG and NG+, but didn't want to do a whole NG++ run so I just fought the Rotten a bunch of times. It worked.

He wasn't saying 3 times to get the million souls to open the door, he was saying 3 ascetics because each time you get a great soul, and 4 great souls = door opens.

Does it work that way? Can you kill the same lord and get 4 of the same lord soul to open the door? I haven't tried it yet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

No, it doesn't work that way. Unfortunately.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
drat, I thought it did. I suppose keeping the Great Souls from NG+ and going into NG++ wouldn't work either?

Guess I'll be Shrine skipping for sure then. After 100 hours and counting for NG and NG+ (just got to the castle in NG+) I don't really want to go through most of the game again right now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Static Rook posted:

drat, I thought it did. I suppose keeping the Great Souls from NG+ and going into NG++ wouldn't work either?

Guess I'll be Shrine skipping for sure then. After 100 hours and counting for NG and NG+ (just got to the castle in NG+) I don't really want to go through most of the game again right now.

You could always just ascetic The Rotten a bunch and get 3m souls that way, it takes something like 10 goes and he never gets difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Noxville posted:

You could always just ascetic The Rotten a bunch and get 3m souls that way, it takes something like 10 goes and he never gets difficult.

Yeah, exactly. This is what I did. Make sure you're wearing the silver serpent ring for bonus souls, saves you 1-2 Rotten fights.

• Locked thread