Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
What a K-car Chrysler New Yorker looks like under its landau roof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What a K-car Chrysler New Yorker looks like under its landau roof:

So it's just slapped together with whatever bits of metal they found lying around the plant?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

So it's just slapped together with whatever bits of metal they found lying around the plant?

It's like that's what Chrysler is all about...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CommieGIR posted:

I liked my 87 Audi's digital dash, shame the flexible circuit boards they used were utter poo poo.

Lexus Optitron gauges ftw.

I miss my LS400. :smith:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

oh, Idaho.

oh, Ireland.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Idaho does have some justification to exist.. I saw a Commodore 64 in a second hand store, with its box and all accessories inside. $25. :v:

So if you want decrepit electronics that could be a good place to look.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Idaho also has the best political debates running now too!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is one tiny cow. Seriously, even for a calf, that is super-tiny.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Jesus, I've been in this thread for too long. I spent a solid minute looking at the stickers and license plate, trying to find the terribleness, before I even noticed the sheep.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Captain Trips posted:

Jesus, I've been in this thread for too long. I spent a solid minute looking at the stickers and license plate, trying to find the terribleness, before I even noticed the sheep.

That's because it's in the wrong thread, carsheep is awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Really, if you aren't doing insane poo poo with your Outback you should probably sell it to someone who will and buy an Impreza.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Terrible car stuff, my supra was hit a while back and I just sold the replacement car (no car now) which is motivation to fix it. Went to try to fix the control arm mount seen here:

Crossmember is also bent :( That's terrible car stuff right there.

e: there's jackstands out of frame, jack is there just in case, I'm not that terrible.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah that's terrible car stuff in any other car. I kinda expect it from an Outback, even here in Seattle.

I would be utterly unsurprised to see a dude driving around Seattle in an Outback with a few goats in the back.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

reuters posted:

General Motors Co said on Tuesday it is recalling another 2.42 million vehicles in the United States, raising the number of vehicles it has recalled so far this year to more than 15 million.

The No. 1 U.S. automaker also said it is doubling the charge it expects to take in the second quarter to about $400 million, mostly for recall-related repairs.

GM said the latest affected vehicles are covered by four recalls, raising the number of U.S. recalls this year to 29. That includes the high-profile recall of 2.6 million vehicles to replace defective ignition switches linked to at least 13 deaths.

GM said there have been no fatalities associated with the latest recalls.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

quote:

GM said there have been no fatalities associated with the latest recalls.

lmao

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This should probably go in the horrible mechanical thread, but I don't keep up with that one so meh. And it happened while it was already on the ground, so technically it was an automobile at this point. Apparently the prevailing theory is that the right gear broke just after landing. My brother pitched into a ditch because it just suddenly steered right while taxing. The left gear was removed to put it on the trailer. Sucks though cause my grandfather is 89 and the plane probably won't be repaired any time soon

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrible car stuff, with a twist: modern cars.

Remember old cars where you could roll down the window and rest your arm on the window, finding that perfect spot where wind would shoot up your shirt sleeve and cool you off? Then you could lean forward in your seat a bit and cool off your back too?

That poo poo is impossible in modern cars. I tried it today because it was the first warm day of the year and it reminded me how much I miss it. Leaning forward means I can't see the speedometer anymore and my head almost hits the headliner. There's also the problem that crumple zones means no one can design a door anymore where it's comfortable to rest your arm on the sill, it's either too much of a stretch or you can't hang your arm out comfortably or whatever. Plus the bucket seats tend to swallow you up and make it uncomfortable to try and sit any other way.

Basically safety has ruined summer driving. :colbert:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Sitting in the back seat, and not being able to roll the window all the way down. :argh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

xzzy posted:

Remember old cars where you could roll down the window and rest your arm on the window, finding that perfect spot where wind would shoot up your shirt sleeve and cool you off? Then you could lean forward in your seat a bit and cool off your back too?

That poo poo is impossible in modern cars. I tried it today because it was the first warm day of the year and it reminded me how much I miss it. Leaning forward means I can't see the speedometer anymore and my head almost hits the headliner. There's also the problem that crumple zones means no one can design a door anymore where it's comfortable to rest your arm on the sill, it's either too much of a stretch or you can't hang your arm out comfortably or whatever. Plus the bucket seats tend to swallow you up and make it uncomfortable to try and sit any other way.

Seriously. Driving with my arm on the window was great in my 96 cutlass, not too bad in my 2004 mustang, and pretty terrible in my moms 2013 focus.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

This plus a vent window = paradise. I can't wait to use my vents again.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
In older cars you can also roll the windows down to get a nice breeze without creating a horrible wind tunnel pointing directly at your face. I can cruise with them down all day in my Celica and barely have to touch my hair when I get out. New car? I look like I just stuck a fork in an electrical socket.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That's the price we pay for aerodynamic cars that get better gas mileage :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want the 60's back, please. I don't care if I get impaled by my steering column, I want the perfect breeze.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I was just driving down the Highway to the Danger Zone the other day when...

Sorry for the image quality, driving into the sun when I saw this guy.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Excuse me, that is clearly an F-18 and not an F-14, therefor your Danger Zone reference does not apply. Furthermore, I

Also, i'm curious as to how that affects handling. I bet it's real fun in high winds :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

Lies. I can rest my arm on my door with the window down just fine. Stop driving cars that have tank windows.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

More details from today's GM recall:

quote:

GM also put a stop-sale order on the 2015 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV full-size SUVs, recalling about 1,500 vehicles because the passenger side air bags may not deploy properly in an accident. The company said it has emailed the 224 customers who had taken delivery of the vehicles, telling them not to let passengers sit in the front passenger seat until the repair has been made.

The company also recalled 58 heavy-duty versions of its 2015 full-size Chevy and GMC pickup trucks in the United States for potential fire issues.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-gm-recall-idUSBREA4J0L320140520

America's #1 automaker :irony:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And to think the US government took a 61% ownership of that company to keep it afloat 5 years ago.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

New GM: same as the old GM.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

loving this. My 2001 Accent window was great for it; being a 2-door, the window was extra long so your arm wasn't hitting the back of the windowframe, and the sill was low enough to comfortably drive. I used to get horribly sunburned on my left arm because I'd drive all the way across the US with my arm on the windowsill.

The Honda Fit I got after it, my fiance's Toyota Camry, all have windows that are far too high. 62 Studebaker is good for it, and the '90 Crown Vic I had in high school was good too. Can you get a '90 Crown Victoria with a manual? I should just go find one of those.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can you get a '90 Crown Victoria with a manual? I should just go find one of those.

I was gonna say the Crown Victoria Sport came in manual, but looking now it just had a floor shifter and I guess I transposed them in my head.

Panther cars are all pretty good for cruising though, a Police Interceptor (or Mercury Marauder :getin:) would probably be right up your alley. Body-on-frame means they don't rely on the body/doors for rigidity, so the doors are still pretty low and relatively thin.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

dubzee posted:

More details from today's GM recall:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/20/us-gm-recall-idUSBREA4J0L320140520

America's #1 automaker :irony:

the first phrase that comes to mind when I think GM now is "rolling sarcophagus"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fucknag posted:

I was gonna say the Crown Victoria Sport came in manual, but looking now it just had a floor shifter and I guess I transposed them in my head.

Panther cars are all pretty good for cruising though, a Police Interceptor (or Mercury Marauder :getin:) would probably be right up your alley. Body-on-frame means they don't rely on the body/doors for rigidity, so the doors are still pretty low and relatively thin.

:getin:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4473891597.html

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

the first phrase that comes to mind when I think GM now is "rolling sarcophagus"

I'm a huge fan of "Kevorkianesque" and have been trying to find a way to work it into conversation at work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Guinness posted:

New GM: same as the old GM.

To be fair, most of the recalls so far are from pre bankruptcy cars.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

And to think the US government took a 61% ownership of that company to keep it afloat 5 years ago.

A match made in heaven.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Yeah, and they at least appear to be attempting to get all of their skeletons out of the closet at once, so in 2 years people will forget it ever happened, and don't have to have the issue brought up again every 6 months when another one of their kevorkianesque vehicles murders an adorable family.

Can anybody here, honestly, off the top of their head, remember what vehicle that police officer and his family who sparked toyotas recall woes were in when it scattered them all over a field?

The GM thing might sting for a little longer because of the buzz words that will likely make it into regular usage like "you're toast" and "corvair-like"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Yeah, and they at least appear to be attempting to get all of their skeletons out of the closet at once, so in 2 years people will forget it ever happened, and don't have to have the issue brought up again every 6 months when another one of their kevorkianesque vehicles murders an adorable family.

Can anybody here, honestly, off the top of their head, remember what vehicle that police officer and his family who sparked toyotas recall woes were in when it scattered them all over a field?

The GM thing might sting for a little longer because of the buzz words that will likely make it into regular usage like "you're toast" and "corvair-like"

It was an ES350.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Larrymer posted:

The issues seem like they were known while GM was still majority government-owned and the legal ramifications if they were covered up with the intent of getting and keeping the stock price up until the selloff are decidedly ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

The issues seem like they were known while GM was still majority government-owned and the legal ramifications if they were covered up with the intent of getting and keeping the stock price up until the selloff are decidedly ugly

Yeah, someone from the government or a large corporation is going to go to jail because a bunch of people died. :cawg:

If that's how it comes out, it's just going to be one more thing for fox news to ignore, cnn to fumble, and jon stewart to make a funny face at.