Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What the hell is going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Its the mirror universe Yalta Conference.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JFairfax posted:

wait what? is that Slavoj Zizek?

That's what I thought. I have no idea if it is, but trying to find out I got this:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

JFairfax posted:

What you need to do is go through the job specification. How many years experience are they looking for? Are you ticking all of their required skills and experience? The aim is to be realistic in your appraisal of your skills and experience so that you can push back and say 'no, I hit every criteria for this role and deserve the top of the bracket'.

Well, I don't hit every top criteria, part of the interview process established that with appropriate training and support I'll be there one day. There was at least one candidate who was probably worth the top end of the bracket, but there's actually no need for them to hire someone costing that much (and they'd probably not stay in that rle long enough to be worthwhile). I'm the best choice, and I'm probably worth what they're offering. I am jumping 2-3 grades up the ladder here so it's not bad- I'm probably just (thinking about) being greedy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I will be quite seriously disappointed if I don't hear they're dead shortly.

Was this around kent?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
@Squalitude

Being greedy is fine, you just need to be able to justify it! And also being willing to walk away from the offer if it's really not acceptable, and it sounds like in this situation you have more to loose if the negotiation goes wrong.

If you can't genuinely say you hit all of the criteria for making top of the bracket, the other thing is a competing offer - but if you haven't been talking throughout the process about you interviewing for another role they will probably not believe you if you say you got an offer for £2k more from another company.

I had a mate who is a recruiter and there was one time when a lady went and interviewed with a client of his, and she got offered. She made him go back, get a higher offer, got everything she wanted - but ended up staying with her current firm. Basically used that offer as leverage to get a higher salary. I laughed 'cause he got played properly, and he really worked his balls off to get the client to come back with a higher offer and they were not amused.

Anyway, I digress. You can try being greedy if you want, but you have to be prepared for it backfiring as it doesn't sound like you have too much leverage in this particular situation and a more to loose than gain.

Once you're not a temp and you're in perm full time job then you can start playing the game of getting up that ladder.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

What in the unholy gently caress is going on here? How is Farage even within fifty feet of him?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Hungry posted:

What in the unholy gently caress is going on here? How is Farage even within fifty feet of him?

Both on Newsnight tonight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheHoodedClaw posted:

At the same time?
Can I expect a lispy beatdown?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Does Question time know that Farage is cheating on it?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Who's that floppy haired prick on the right? He looks like I'd hate him.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Who's that floppy haired prick on the right? He looks like I'd hate him.

Looks like the Telegraph columnist, Tim Stanley:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/timstanley/

He's mentioning a pic on his Twitter feed, so probably is him. He's a Tory, but a thoughtful, rather melancholy one, so perhaps not completely hateful.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Umiapik posted:

He's a Tory, but a thoughtful, rather melancholy one, so perhaps not completely hateful.

A thoughtful, rather melancholy rat is still a rat.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Umiapik posted:

Looks like the Telegraph columnist, Tim Stanley:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/author/timstanley/

He's mentioning a pic on his Twitter feed, so probably is him. He's a Tory, but a thoughtful, rather melancholy one, so perhaps not completely hateful.

It is him, and I find him odious, high handed, and slimy. So yeah, pretty good for a Tory.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

Housechat? Housechat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-mortgages.html

Earn less than £200k/year? Congratulations on being less productive and valuable than an inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar, slacker. If you're on less than £80k, you're not even as productive as a provincial inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar.
Yay shelter is even less affordable than before. This means we're all rich :toot:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

There are council elections on Thursday too. In Liverpool, a Lib/Lab marginal is beset by accusations of homophobia. This time, it's the Labour Party:

At least this time the guilty party is facing expulsion. Seven years ago, Miranda Grell was disqualified from holding the Leyton council seat she was elected to a year before due to making allegations of paedophilia against her Lib Dem opponent. Her appeal was funded by the party and several prominent activists, including the current Shadow Business Secretary, publicly supported her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ4w41ZYY9A

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 20, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What's the current UKMT ISP of choice?

BE Internet was a great recommendation, though I cancelled after they got absorbed by Sky. Any current ones like them?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Mr. Flunchy posted:

BE Internet was a great recommendation, though I cancelled after they got absorbed by Sky. Any current ones like them?

I thought that said UKIP ISP of choice for a second.

I use Andrews & Arnold. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for (awesome service) and they're cool guys who have a lot to say about things like internet filtering.

I had a problem when my account went live and the CEO himself helped me out on IRC out of hours and wrote a blog post about it :3:

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 20, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've used Zen (zen.co.uk) since BT politely asked me to leave about 8 years ago. They're a little bit more expensive than the kinds of deal you can get with the big ISPs, but their customer service is second to none, in fact they've won the PCPro ISP award every year for as long as I can remember.

Heartily recommend to family and friends, and no ones had a problem with them. Great thing is month to month contracts (except for fibre), so if you don't like them or they're too expensive just cancel.

The data usage limits are sensible, and they don't do any traffic management, and they're a small enough ISP to not be required to block certain sites.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
The amount of times ISP chat comes up it might be useful if whoever makes the next OP includes the recommendations in it.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

ISPreview is also a pretty good site/resource for finding an ISP.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I'm on Plusnet Fibre and they're all right, basically exactly the same thing and price as BT Infinity (because they're owned by BT) but with UK based call centres. Also like most places they do referrals based signups so if you know someone with it, then you / they can get slightly cheaper internet (I assume it's not allowed here so get someone irl to sort it out)

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

My previous ISP was BE and after I moved flat I switched to Virgin Media. Made a big difference not having to pay line rental and having 50 times the download speed.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I've used Vivaciti in the past and they were great. Same as other have said about small companies, excluded from the bollocks thats attached to larger providers with personalised service. Since I tend to have very high bandwith usage there LLU package was ideal for me.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BBC posted:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has pulled out of a musical carnival organised by his party after supporters clashed with protesters in the street.

A steel band hired for the event in Croydon, south London, refused to continue playing when told they had been hired on behalf of UKIP.

Romanians carrying banners argued with party activists over Mr Farage's recent comments about their fellow countrymen.

UKIP's Winston McKenzie said Mr Farage had withdrawn for security reasons.

The anti-EU party had promised to bring a "strong and positive message" to the streets of Croydon, with a "bold and vibrant" carnival-style campaign event.
'Diminished'

The steel band Endurance Steel played as the protesters gathered, with one Romanian woman holding a banner accusing UKIP of "racism" after Mr Farage said last week that people would not feel comfortable if a group of Romanian men moved next door.

Arguments followed between Mr McKenzie, a candidate in Thursday's council elections in Croydon, and the demonstrators.
Steel band playing
UKIP supporters and opponents argued in the street

Mr McKenzie told the BBC: "They've diminished the meaning of racism... They've taken away the meaning of racism, which is a very potent subject."

When informed that UKIP was holding the event, Endurance Steel withdrew their services and packed up their instruments, saying they had not been told previously.

After about an hour of confusion, Mr McKenzie confirmed that Mr Farage would not attend, telling reporters: "He's a responsible family man and political party leader. Certain situations you have to avoid."

He added: "Croydon is unsafe and a dump."
Way to stay on message, Winston. :lol:

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 20, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

So UKIP tried to hold a 'diversity carnival' in Croydon to try to counter their racist reputation. It didn't go well.

Edit: Oh goddamnit! Still, my link has more photos (and a working link :smug:)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
From Wikipedia:

quote:

Winston Truman McKenzie (born 23 October 1953) is a British politician and former boxer, notable for having joined every major political party and having stood as an independent or minor party candidate on numerous occasions without success.

McKenzie was originally a middleweight boxer and was the All England National Amateur Boxing Champion, he is an older brother of boxer Duke McKenzie, and a younger brother of boxer Clinton McKenzie. He contended that after an underprivileged childhood, "boxing was my salvation".[1] However, his boxing career was cut short at the age of 23 by two detached retinas.[2]

He later worked as a hairdresser, a rug wholesaler, a letting agent and a garage mechanic. He also ran a pub in Parchmore Road, Thornton Heath, with his brothers. When the McKenzies bought the pub, it had "a notorious reputation...as a 'battleground' rife with gangsters and drug pushers until the brothers took over."[3] They opened it as the McKenzie Bros Bar & Grill, but it was threatened with removal of its licence in July 2001 "after being caught several times by police serving alcohol after hours."[3] It finally closed down in December 2002, after a single police raid resulted in 25 people on the premises all being charged with various drugs and firearms offences. The pub was boarded up after the raid, and in January 2003, Winston McKenzie confirmed it would not be reopening. The building has subsequently been demolished.[4][5] In 2005, he unsuccessfully auditioned for The X Factor.[6] He is now a youth worker.

Man, this guy is the journeyman's journeyman.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Zero Star posted:

quote:

When the McKenzies bought the pub, it had "a notorious reputation...as a 'battleground' rife with gangsters and drug pushers until the brothers took over."

It finally closed down in December 2002, after a single police raid resulted in 25 people on the premises all being charged with various drugs and firearms offences.

:laffo:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm voting in the Euro elections this Thursday, and my area is the South-West. Would this thread's fine Internet detectives kindly fill me in on which candidates are poo poo, which are less poo poo, and which are hardly poo poo at all? I'm discounting the Tories, the BNP, the English Democrats, UKIP, and An Independence From Europe for obvious reasons.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So I'm voting in the Euro elections this Thursday, and my area is the South-West. Would this thread's fine Internet detectives kindly fill me in on which candidates are poo poo, which are less poo poo, and which are hardly poo poo at all? I'm discounting the Tories, the BNP, the English Democrats, UKIP, and An Independence From Europe for obvious reasons.

Looks like your options are green or labour, I'd go green myself, but then I had better options than that sorry list :P

e: also, in the old pollinator topic, just had to shepherd a honey bee outside because they're as thick as poo poo and unable to notice things like open windows (but I love them anyway, and will be getting a big one tattooed on me soon :3:

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 20, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Darth Walrus posted:

Loving the Tories listed alongside that lot.

Thinking about it though, are there any non-joke alternatives to the Tories, or are they all loons? I'm including UKIP among the joke parties.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Darth Walrus posted:

Same region, I'm gonna vote Green even though it pains me to do so because of their loving stupid views on nuclear power. They were polling higher than the Lib-Dems last time I checked, so they do actually have a chance at a seat.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Same region, I'm gonna vote Green even though it pains me to do so because of their loving stupid views on nuclear power. They were polling higher than the Lib-Dems last time I checked, so they do actually have a chance at a seat.

That's a common refrain in this thread. I think people significantly overestimate what sway local councils and / or the European Parliament have over nuclear power in the UK which really is a matter for Westminster.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Darth Walrus posted:

I have no idea how reliable it is but rs21 has a Euro elections post which includes a Greens or Labour guide. http://rs21.org.uk/2014/05/20/rs21-guide-to-the-european-elections-our-predictions-and-recommended-votes/

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

So UKIP tried to hold a 'diversity carnival' in Croydon to try to counter their racist reputation. It didn't go well.

Edit: Oh goddamnit! Still, my link has more photos (and a working link :smug:)

Oh dammit, I wasn't working today, I could have gone and witnessed this first hand.

Very disappointed :/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Party Boat posted:

I have no idea how reliable it is but rs21 has a Euro elections post which includes a Greens or Labour guide. http://rs21.org.uk/2014/05/20/rs21-guide-to-the-european-elections-our-predictions-and-recommended-votes/

That site gives a glowing review to Glyn Ford, but doesn't mention its reasons. I don't know him, so what makes him so fantastic?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm not really seeing why I should vote tactically for Labour in the South West. The Greens, while :downs: over nuclear, are still further to the left, and more involved in Europe.

WHATEVER YOU DO THOUGH GUYS DON'T VOTE UKIP THOUGH HERE HAVE MY 5000 WORD ESSAY ON IT :byodood:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you've got no attachment to Glyn Ford then either Green or Labour is as good as the other - SW England is currently 3 Tories, 2 UKIP and 1 Lib Dem and will probably go entirely bluey-purple.

e: The article's author claims that the Greens have no chance in SW England, but I think his attachment to Ford is blinding him a little - the Greens placed ahead of Labour in SW in 2009.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 20, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A quick check on Wikipedia says Ford did some heavy-duty antifascist work when he was an MEP, and has a strong record on science. The Greens may have a better party platform, but apparently they're not bringing their A-game in the South-West due to perceived unelectability, which raises the question of how much you trust the candidates they've got there to deliver what they're promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Party Boat posted:

That guy's analysis is absolutely terrible. He's basing the entire thing off cross-tabs from national polls, which means the margins of error on the vote shares he's using are so large as to render his conclusions meaningless. His suggestion that the Greens might get an MEP in Scotland is particularly absurd since some proper polls have been done there and the Greens consistently poll below UKIP, the Tories, and Labour's potential third MEP.

In the South-West, we're almost certain to get at least two Tories and two UKIP MEPs. The last two seats will probably be tossups between Labour, the Lib Dems, (despite their woeful national ratings, they're pretty well dug into a number of south west constituencies at the local level, which may or may not be enough to get them something here), the Greens, and third slots for the Tories/UKIP. On an individual level, the first candidates for Labour and the Greens are both pretty unobjectionable, so take your pick.

e: if I had to make a best guess at the South-West MEP distribution, it'd be UKIP 3, Con 2, Green 1 but that's based off nothing more than historical results and national trends.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 20, 2014

• Locked thread