Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Regalingualius posted:

"just what the hell do you worship, then?" :v:
"Yes, sadly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I just figured that he would be bringing Death and Destruction to the Dwarf lands because those are possibly his domains of choice.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Yukari posted:

I just figured that he would be bringing Death and Destruction to the Dwarf lands because those are possibly his domains of choice.

I hope this gets expositioned out clearly and the characters are like "yeah, that makes sense." And then in the next panel Durkon kills everyone and blows everything up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eh, V should have no problem dispelling the weather.

I hope they kill Durkula and bring his remains/ashes to his homeland. It'd still fulfill the prophecy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Someone on another forum posted a link to Rich discussing Durkon's vampirization, which I don't think has been discussed here.

quote:

There is absolutely zero difference between Malack and Durkon's vampirizations, with the sole exception that Hel made the spirit sitting in Durkon's head while Nergal made the one that was sitting in Malack's. Hel is able to put that spirit into Durkon's body because of the physical vampirization process that Malack enacts on Durkon's corpse, which opens a door to Negative Energy and traps Durkon's spirit inside it. Which would also be true of any other vampire created from a person who fell under the Northern Pantheon's domain, though she wouldn't take a personal interest in just any person because they wouldn't be a powerful cleric.

Hel does not have rightful dominion over Durkon's soul as part of her normal assignment of dishonored souls, however, because Durkon did in fact die in battle. She got involved because she is also, separately, the Northern deity of undeath, and one of her "duties" is making the evil spirits for all Northern vampires. The vampirization process basically jammed up the normal disposition of Durkon's soul by trapping it inside the undead body. Where Durkon's actual soul ends up will not be determined until/unless it is freed. It's a like a naturally occurring Trap the Soul spell.

Nothing that happens with vampires in this comic can be extrapolated to work similarly with other undead. All types of undead work differently, that's why they are different types in the first place. Xykon is still Xykon.

All of Malack's dialogue regarding who he is/was should be viewed through the lens of me not wanting to spoil the scene from #946. Some of what he says is metaphorical and all of it is deliberately ambiguous, because I was consciously trying to make you think one thing while another thing was actually true. As a rule of thumb, it is not in my interest to lock down the metaphysics of things if I don't have to, so don't expect that I will have characters exposition How Things Work just to clear up your confusion.

Likewise, any assumptions that characters in the comic know or understand the details of how this process occurs on a detailed internal level should be thrown out the window. They don't. Being a vampire is super-rare; being returned to life after being a vampire so you can share the logistics of how it worked from your point of view in such a way that it entered a general body of knowledge that people would have learned about in the course of their education is simply not something that has ever occurred.

I'm sure there are more byzantine arguments going around that I'm missing, but really, this isn't as complicated as most of you are making it. There is only one way that vampirization works, and it overrides the natural order of things, including where souls go. That's why everyone says things like, "That's against the natural order of things!" about it. However, Hel is not breaking the rules of vampirization itself at all.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

All of that seems perfectly common sense and indicated by the comic itself. I can only wonder at the sort of poor comprehension skills that would make that post necessary.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welcome to the GitP forums.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Colonel Cool posted:

All of that seems perfectly common sense and indicated by the comic itself. I can only wonder at the sort of poor comprehension skills that would make that post necessary.

To be fair, there ARE some panels that are pretty drat ambiguous, in a way that is hard to justify with "Malack doesn't want to admit he's actually an evil spirit of undeath":

Durkon was already dead at this point. I mean, you might claim that he said that to keep up the charade with Belkar, but does it feel like Malack would bother with a fake-heartfelt-(actually-still-pretty-creepy)-confession for his benefit?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Evil spirit or not if you lived with a trapped soul absorbing its memories for hundreds of years, you would start to identify as/with that creature.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

To be fair, there ARE some panels that are pretty drat ambiguous, in a way that is hard to justify with "Malack doesn't want to admit he's actually an evil spirit of undeath":

I don't think it's that unreasonable really. Vampires in fiction are usually considered to be dark mirrors of the original person, and I think that the process of absorbing all of someone's memories is probably going to change the negative energy spirit significantly to the point where they could probably justify thinking of themselves as the former person, in a certain sort of way.

Remember that while Durkon and the spirit are distinct entities at this point, months or years down the line when the spirit fully absorbs Durkon's memories it seems like they're probably going to be a lot more integrated.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All of those 'Durkon's alignment changed so he'll resist being resurrected' arguments seem extra silly now.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Vampires in D&D are different than the ones in i.e. Masquerade. I don't think there's any other fantasy universe that allows you to get the old pre-vampirized person back by killing the vampire then using a resurrection.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

peak debt posted:

Vampires in D&D are different than the ones in i.e. Masquerade. I don't think there's any other fantasy universe that allows you to get the old pre-vampirized person back by killing the vampire then using a resurrection.

They did it in Angel.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

peak debt posted:

Yeah maybe. But raising the dead isn't that common a power even in fantasy. Because most fantasy isn't a game. Death is supposed to MEAN something.

There was ONE stone to do it in the whole harry potter universe, for example.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not even that. The Resurrection Stone in Harry Potter just made temporary ghost-like echoes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Not even that. The Resurrection Stone in Harry Potter just made temporary ghost-like echoes.

Yeah the resurrection stone was really underpowered.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Shwqa posted:

Yeah the resurrection stone was really underpowered.

I don't know, if there is no time limit on it (meaning that you don't have to use it on a fresh cadaver), I can see it being pretty useful at least for academic purposes. You can use it on Louis XIV's dessicated corpse and ask him about the French Revolution from his point of view. Historians would go crazy over that.

Or you can use it on a murder's victim to find out more about the crime. A lot of killing wouldn't happen if criminals knew that the victim can testify against them.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Or you can use it on a murder's victim to find out more about the crime. A lot of killing wouldn't happen if criminals knew that the victim can testify against them.

Nah, the Phoenix Wright series showed how that was the worst idea to do because the victim is just as unreliable as some witnesses.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Cavatica posted:

Nah, the Phoenix Wright series showed how that was the worst idea to do because the victim is just as unreliable as some witnesses.

Pretty much there's no reason why a spirit can't lie for any number of reasons.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Cavatica posted:

And Rashomon did it well before that.

And to stay on topic, the testimony might be unreliable for reasons besides the ghost's desire to lie. People's memories are often unreliable in the wake of sudden trauma. Death's not much different.

(Not that it still wouldn't be a valuable resource - summoning up a ghost)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, in the PW case alluded to, it was unreliable for both of those reasons: The victim didn't want to implicate his supposed killer for very good reasons, and he had no way of seeing his actual killer.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
There's actually a murder-mystery quest in Arcanum that it appears you can bypass if you have the 'Speak with Dead' spell. In fact, the dead guy intentionally gives you the wrong information, and you get the bad ending for the quest if you listen to him. In fact, I think part of the joke of that particular spell is that the dead are all either useless of give bad information; the game specifically points out that the spell is torturous to them.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

NihilCredo posted:

Durkon was already dead at this point. I mean, you might claim that he said that to keep up the charade with Belkar, but does it feel like Malack would bother with a fake-heartfelt-(actually-still-pretty-creepy)-confession for his benefit?

Fake it 'til you make it. Nergal (and probably any 'evil' god) would be pretty PO'd if it came to light that vampires aren't the people they used to be; it's in the inhabiting spirit's best interest to keep the facade up and never let it slip (to anyone) that what they're saying isn't the whole truth. Live a lie for a couple years, let alone a couple hundred, and even you might have difficulties remembering the lie you're telling everyone isn't actually real.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

fallingdownjoe posted:

But what could they do about it, realistically? How much worse for Durkon to see his friends go "welp, guess trying to stop world-ending poo poo is worth allying with the horrifying spirit inhabiting the body of our friend"?

It's not as if they're necessarily going to be able to work out that real-Durkon is watching from behind Durkula's eyes.

Well it seems like if the whole "It's still Durkon, just a vampire" charade breaks down, Nokrud isn't really going to have a whole lot of reason to actually work with the Order anymore. For the moment they think he's still functionally Durkon, and, in Roy's own words, it's more convenient to have him carrying his own carcass around by walking and also casting healing spells for everyone. If it turns out he's not really Durkon, and is likely to resist the whole stake-'em-and-raise-'em routine, then all the reasons they haven't just staked him and stored his ashy vampire corpse away until they have access to a cleric and enough diamonds have been thrown overboard. Literally he's only pretending to be Durkon because it serves his interests at the moment. Probably he's the "death and destruction" that was prophesied.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 25, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
When did this stupid Nokrud thing start, Durkula was a much better name :mad:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

peak debt posted:

When did this stupid Nokrud thing start, Durkula was a much better name :mad:

No it's not. Nokrud is way better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nokrud sounds like a cleaning agent orcs came up with.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

And Rashomon did it well before that.

And to stay on topic, the testimony might be unreliable for reasons besides the ghost's desire to lie. People's memories are often unreliable in the wake of sudden trauma. Death's not much different.

(Not that it still wouldn't be a valuable resource - summoning up a ghost)

In my own webcomic this is exactly the reason why testimony of the dead isn't court-admissible. The other reasons involve the fact that it requires mind-altering states to be able to see the spirit world and it's all subjective anyway so nothing you see can be completely trusted and may not be reproducible to others.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

fool_of_sound posted:

There's actually a murder-mystery quest in Arcanum that it appears you can bypass if you have the 'Speak with Dead' spell. In fact, the dead guy intentionally gives you the wrong information, and you get the bad ending for the quest if you listen to him. In fact, I think part of the joke of that particular spell is that the dead are all either useless of give bad information; the game specifically points out that the spell is torturous to them.

I'm not sure about the sidequests, but you could kill/Speak with Dead your way through the entire main plot line.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0953.html
A new one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this kind of interaction

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I was torn between Nokrud and Durkula too, but I think I like Lurky better. Fits with his role.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I love how Durkon states that non of his friends can see through the vampire, while Belkar is actively pointing out the falseness of the vampire. They'll never be friends! :allears:

Also, I'm not quite sure how cleric spells work in here now. I know Durkon was casting spells in the non Northern lands, right? So if Nokrud Lurky couldn't call on Thor to end the storm naturally and just used a flashy spell from another god to do it, why couldn't the other cleric just cast the same spell? I'm probably just forgetting something or over thinking this.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

World Famous Whore posted:

Also, I'm not quite sure how cleric spells work in here now. I know Durkon was casting spells in the non Northern lands, right? So if Nokrud Lurky couldn't call on Thor to end the storm naturally and just used a flashy spell from another god to do it, why couldn't the other cleric just cast the same spell? I'm probably just forgetting something or over thinking this.

If I remember right, it's a relatively high-level spell, like level 7 or so. The other guy is probably too low-level.

And I don't usually complain about OOTS... but this strip is really a bit limp.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

World Famous Whore posted:

Spoiler in reference to the above spoiler: Control Weather is a level 7 spell, meaning the cleric has to be at least level 13. That seems the most likely explanation to me, he also just might not have it prepared. Though it seems like that would be odd for an airship crewman.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 26, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm partial to "Yurkon," myself

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really you just gotta wonder why nobody asked him to cast that half an hour ago when the storm hit.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

blizzardvizard posted:

And I don't usually complain about OOTS... but this strip is really a bit limp.

Eh, "how will the vampire deal with losing his god's protection?" "LOL common list" would have been perfectly fine as a one-strip joke, it was just a misstep on Rich's part to stretch it to two, because after a week and two pages of buildup we were expecting more than a rules-based punchline. Not a big deal but yeah, def a bit of a wihmper.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

When I first read it, I thought that this could deal a blow to Durkon's faith, but then I realized it doesn't really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Control Weather. A 10-minute casting time and then you gain control of the weather for some hours. It's the kind of spell that only seems useful in very specific circumstances (as opposed to Summon Monster VII which is pretty much always useful to have). That's probably why Rich has made a big deal of it twice now.

However, while the Cliffport use is the kind of fun rule-breaking that a good DM would want to encourage, I'd be pretty skeptical of using Control Weather to shut down a sky-god.