Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh hey 12inch Surface Pro 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Worth noting: the SP3 has an aspect ratio that looks more like an iPad than an SP2.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Boy, that's the opposite of what I was hoping for. The SP2 is great but is too large and heavy--sounds like this is thinner, but I'd bet it ends up heavier at the end of the day

edit: That aspect ratio change is nice, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

2160x1440, I'm glad to see they upped the res when going up in size too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

Worth noting: the SP3 has an aspect ratio that looks more like an iPad than an SP2.

That's awesome.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

waffle posted:

Boy, that's the opposite of what I was hoping for. The SP2 is great but is too large and heavy--sounds like this is thinner, but I'd bet it ends up heavier at the end of the day

800g!!!

Lighter than macbook air. holy poo poo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Dave posted:

Oh hey 12inch Surface Pro 3.

3:2. Finally, they abandoned the awful 16:9 radio.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

waffle posted:

edit: That aspect ratio change is nice, though.

Actually, it appears it may be 100 grams lighter than the Pro 2

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

3:2. Finally, they abandoned the awful 16:9 radio.

I know, that rules, same as Chromebook Pixel.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Looks like I'm selling my SP2. gently caress me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

loquacius posted:

Goddamnit, this is the one thing that irritates the gently caress out of me and they fix it two months after I get a SP2.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

waffle posted:

Current livestream text:

The Verge posted:

"So you made it bigger, it had to have gotten heavier. Absolutely not." It's 800 grams

Ha he's putting it on a scale with a MacBook Air.

Shots fired guys.

"You get six percent more content than on this 13-inch screen."

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
^^^ Got me, Microsoft Guy

bull3964 posted:

Actually, it appears it may be 100 grams lighter than the Pro 2
Yeah, I'm glad to be wrong. I'll still be waiting for a Surface Mini, but it sounds like the change in aspect ratio and lighter overall weight might actually make this feel better in-hand than the SP2, despite being larger.

waffle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 20, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They also managed to make it fanless.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Goddamnit, this is the one thing that irritates the gently caress out of me and they fix it two months after I get a SP2.

Yeah, my fanboy side is trying to get me to reach for my wallet right now and I'm trying my hardest to hold it back because goddammit I just bought a really expensive tablet/laptop hybrid :argh:

e:

bull3964 posted:

They also managed to make it fanless.

:eyepop:

e2: Wait, no they didn't :mad:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 20, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh wow it survives the soft carpet test!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

eyebeem posted:

Looks like I'm selling my SP2. gently caress me.

SAME :mad:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Verge posted:

Oh man. He's walking out into the crowed and handing the tablet to Joanna Stern

Joanna Stern, of the WSJ, he just gave her a tablet. Hilarious

They're talking about the dock now, nothing about Lightning or anything else that could hook up an external video card. Ah well :sigh:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
That guy has absolutely no charisma or stage presence. He's terrible at doing this.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That guy has absolutely no charisma or stage presence. He's terrible at doing this.

Yeah, I actually shut off the livestream because of him. He reminds me of our interns trying to present to a crowd.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Guesses on price? Must be $1000+ unless it's something like 64GB SSD and 4GB RAM. However, I might go for a Surface 3 if it's got the same screen, RT, and is like $400.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eyebeem posted:

Yeah, I actually shut off the livestream because of him. He reminds me of our interns trying to present to a crowd.

Atleast this time he doesn't have a mic taped to his stupid head.

Did he ramble about his favorite kid? What the heck is he going on about?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

New kickstand angle:

Honestly I don't get the point of this; you could get basically the same effect by leaving it flat and angling your legs up a little.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
This seems like a good product to ensure there's a lot of cheap used SP2s on the market soon.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Feeling that pang of regret at buying the SP2 8GB a month and a half ago now. :sigh:

The SP3 looks glorious.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
One click in wasn't enough. Now it's two clicks.
Progress!

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I was on the WPCentral feed but the comments infuriated me and I was already way behind on the buffering so I decided to stop watching it.

The SP3 looks nice but I have a feeling it will be out of my price range. If they come up with a Surface Mini, however...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I was on the WPCentral feed but the comments infuriated me and I was already way behind on the buffering so I decided to stop watching it.

The SP3 looks nice but I have a feeling it will be out of my price range. If they come up with a Surface Mini, however...

Surface Mini would almost certainly be RT, unless they've finally given up the ghost on that stupid idea and stuck a bay trail processor in it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

New kickstand angle:

Honestly I don't get the point of this; you could get basically the same effect by leaving it flat and angling your legs up a little.

This is great for use on a tabletop. Think sitting on the couch with the tablet on a coffee table in front of you. Also, I find myself laying my SP2 on my legs and wishing it would be angled up just a bit, which this looks to do.

Want.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Point taken :shobon:

Interesting stuff going on with the pen -- click it to wake directly to OneNote; click again to sync to OneDrive; double-click while in camera mode to take a picture and send it directly to OneNote to be noted upon; double-tap stuff in browser to send THAT to OneNote. Pretty good device integration.

(Also preorders start tomorrow, base price is $799 for i3 version)

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
So it's over, right? Maybe the lack of a Surface 3 means they're going to get rid of RT by the time the next iteration comes out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Point taken :shobon:

Interesting stuff going on with the pen -- click it to wake directly to OneNote; click again to sync to OneDrive; double-click while in camera mode to take a picture and send it directly to OneNote to be noted upon; double-tap stuff in browser to send THAT to OneNote. Pretty good device integration.

(Also preorders start tomorrow, base price is $799 for i3 version)

Hopefully I can remap the clicks to make it use Evernote instead. OneNote is nice, but I'm firmly entrenched in Evernote.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, looks like RT is dead. All the rumors were that this was supposed to be a surface mini reveal, with maybe a refreshed pro on the side. Instead it was all surface pro 3.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, looks like RT is dead. All the rumors were that this was supposed to be a surface mini reveal, with maybe a refreshed pro on the side. Instead it was all surface pro 3.

Which is bigger than the Surface 2. Man that memo was poorly worded.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Goddamnit, launch is June 20th.

I'm going on a vacation June 18th - 22nd and was really hoping I could snag one of these before I left to use on the trip.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Clark Nova posted:

I'm guessing since Surface Mini was supposed to launch last year that they possibly decided to scrap it in order to not compete with OEMs. There are quite a few 8" bay trail tablets out there and SP3 certainly has OneNote stuff people would expected from the mini.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is that neat One Note stuff is exclusive to the SP3?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Aaaand SP2 is being returned this week.

This thing looks great!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
In a non SP3 related arena, something is odd with my SP2 mic. In both Hangouts and Skype, I'm being told I have an echo, like I'm in a concrete tunnel. I've mucked with the gain and mic volume settings to no avail. I have no case or screen protector. Are there some better drivers out there for it? This is frustrating coming from the Macbook Air, which was flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
N-Trig digitizer :bang:

• Locked thread