Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

butterfly body piece also goes great with cat legs too

Schmetterling posted:

I beat the Rotten! :D

:buddy::respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So seriously, how do you limit frames to 30?

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Fuzz posted:

For me, I use GeDoSaTo force a preset interval of 2 with all the other features off except AA.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If I limit myself to 1 FPS will my weapons be indestructible?

screenshot souls

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Fuzz posted:

So that actually makes the PVP fell better or what? What's the deal with this?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So the Rotten becomes pretty hard on Intensity 2 when your only damage is dark and you can only fast roll. I was also surprised to find a ton of people leaving their signs down for that fight at the level I'm at, I guess a lot people fight the Rotten again on NG.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Jordbo posted:

I did some googling and found this guide for Nvidia cards.

If you're on ATI I guess you're SOL.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

delta534 posted:

I use GeDoSaTo

I downloaded this yesterday. I play the game through an HDMI cable to my 42 inch plasma. The PC version did look slightly better and the load times were WAY better than the PS3 version on the same screen, but the tearing and mouse cursor was driving me crazy.

GeDoSaTo makes it a different game. Holy crap. It looks amazing. Sunbro signs actually are blinding, dark areas are much darker, the downsampling makes a much clearer picture, and oh my god throwing a Great Lightning Spear in the dark is AWESOME. Even lighting bonfires is 100x better.

Highly recommended.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Night Blade posted:

So that actually makes the PVP fell better or what? What's the deal with this?

I just want to use lower durability weapons without them breaking twice as fast. At 60 fps it registers the durability but twice, apparently, so your weapons break twice as fast?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like fighting the Rotten. He's not really hard but he can still be punishing if you get careless. I also find it kidn of refreshing to fight a big lumpy monster that doesn't move at the pace of a snail. Adjudicator and Nito both move like molasses, so you'd expect the Rotten to be just as sluggish as them. He's actually really quick with his cleaver though, which makes him more fun to fight.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So my reaction to everything in New Game Plus thus far is "OH JEEZ what's happening? what's that doing there? oh god! help!" Does this continue the entire run?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I used to see rumblings of graphics mods getting people VAC banned. That doesn't actually happen, right?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I just want to use lower durability weapons without them breaking twice as fast. At 60 fps it registers the durability but twice, apparently, so your weapons break twice as fast?

Weapons take durability damage for each frame they clip with a corpse. On the PC with weapons clipping for the same amount of seconds but double the frames per second durability damage from corpses is effectively doubled. A few other things are also suspected to also be affected (like the guard break timing) but the corpse damage is the only thing confirmed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Jordbo posted:

I did some googling and found this guide for Nvidia cards. Now, I'm not very good with computers so I haven't actually checked my in-game fps, but it looks like 30 fps and guard breaking got a thousand times easier, so I'm convinced.

Edit: Duh, just realized I could check fps with Fraps. Yeah, it's definitely set to 30 fps in-game.

Hmmm. The executable is in the steamapps/common/darksoulsII/game folder, right? Worth a shot I suppose.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Should add a sub-bullet under "Don't waste your Pharros Lockstones" newbie tip in the OP:

"buy the lockstone from the old woman and immediately use it under the ballista room in FoFG"

A majority of the guys I've talked into playing the game don't buy it or use it there, and the Chloranthy ring you get is arguably one of the most useful early-game rings you can possibly have until you reach the shaded woods and get the +1 version, but that doesn't happen for a long time for most people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Assuming I have 42 INT/Faith, am I better off using Affinity or Crystal Homing Soulmass?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I used to see rumblings of graphics mods getting people VAC banned. That doesn't actually happen, right?

I doubt it very, very much.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

buzzsaw.gif posted:

I doubt it very, very much.

Yeah. What you're hearing is people worrying about it, but no bans of any kind have actually happened.

Yet :unsmigghh:

Seriously, though, it's fine. I'm using GeDoSaTo with no problems. If anyone gets banned, ever, which I doubt, it'll be people giving themselves infinite HP and poo poo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sushibandit posted:

Should add a sub-bullet under "Don't waste your Pharros Lockstones" newbie tip in the OP:

"buy the lockstone from the old woman and immediately use it under the ballista room in FoFG"

A majority of the guys I've talked into playing the game don't buy it or use it there, and the Chloranthy ring you get is arguably one of the most useful early-game rings you can possibly have until you reach the shaded woods and get the +1 version, but that doesn't happen for a long time for most people.

Alternatively save the 4k souls for leveling up or upgrading and use the free pharros stone you get from the manor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The most legit way to get extra pharros stones is to willingly be summoned by a Rat King and slay him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I managed to get killed on Prowling Magus on my first attempt because I got hit with double lightning before I'd even assessed what I was facing. Haha oops :toot:

Then I got killed twice by Pate's exploding treasure chest. I'm seriously considering murdering that guy in revenge. He and his buddy/enemy are both just no good at all.

Now I'm in front of a giant fog door that I'm 100% convinced hides a spider boss, but I haven't explored everywhere yet so I think I may put off fighting it for now.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I managed to get killed on Prowling Magus on my first attempt because I got hit with double lightning before I'd even assessed what I was facing. Haha oops :toot:

People say that boss is literally Pinwheel 2.0 (and it is) but I find that if you don't take out the two guys chucking lightning ASAP they can ruin your day. After that the fight is a cakewalk.

Also those guys crawling around are assholes and I died at least once because I got hung up on them trying to kill a lightning dude.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Domattee posted:

Weapons take durability damage for each frame they clip with a corpse. On the PC with weapons clipping for the same amount of seconds but double the frames per second durability damage from corpses is effectively doubled. A few other things are also suspected to also be affected (like the guard break timing) but the corpse damage is the only thing confirmed.

Yeah, but depending on the weapon (old whip) that can be huge... plus all the poo poo whips and how if the tip isn't what hits it takes extra durability damage and whatnot.

Why they tied so much poo poo to frames when they knew from the start they were making a 60 fps PC version is beyond me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Color Printer posted:

People say that boss is literally Pinwheel 2.0 (and it is) but I find that if you don't take out the two guys chucking lightning ASAP they can ruin your day. After that the fight is a cakewalk.

Also those guys crawling around are assholes and I died at least once because I got hung up on them trying to kill a lightning dude.

Yeah having multiple enemies makes it into at least something of a threat. Still, a couple pyromancies and they're all gone.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Regy Rusty posted:

Now I'm in front of a giant fog door that I'm 100% convinced hides a spider boss

Weakness: arachnophobia

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah having multiple enemies makes it into at least something of a threat. Still, a couple pyromancies and they're all gone.

If you're pure melee that fight sucks rear end. That fight and the rear end in a top hat mages in the next part were what made me abandon my initial pure melee run and start throwing fireballs loving everywhere.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Fuzz posted:

If you're pure melee that fight sucks rear end. That fight and the rear end in a top hat mages in the next part were what made me abandon my initial pure melee run and start throwing fireballs loving everywhere.

They died easily to powerstanced bastard swords. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fuzz posted:

What on earth are you talking about

Bumrush the lightning casting dudes, kill them in like two or three hits a piece. Bam, done. I have never cast a single spell in that fight, even on my Miracles build. There literally was no point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Color Printer posted:

They can be, but the pews in the back of the church block their spells. So if you need to heal you can run behind them and be safe, since the spells can't hit you and the zombies shouldn't be quick enough to catch you.

The really sad thing about Magus is that he's not even the most dangerous enemy in his own fight. The congregation is more threatening than he is, because you can smash his face in easily. It feels like one of the priests even has more health than him.

Fuzz posted:

The only time I had anything near trouble with that fight was as duo caestus, since you have 0 range. Any decent sized melee weapon can cleave apart the crowd with ease.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Color Printer posted:

And Pinwheel can kill you if you just stand there and do nothing. Those mages die in one or two hits, if you die it's very much your fault. The pigs in the beginning of the level are a more challenging boss fight than Prowling Magus.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Run in with a halberd and spam the spin move. Congratulations, everything is now loving dead.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Either that or run in with a huge rear end sword.

The swing arc on that thing is stupid huge and you'll end up hitting the Magus and one of the priest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's more that the magus himself casts WoG and if you were doing an 8 vigor run like I was, it literally blows you away in one hit and has a pretty big radius. I died to him twice because I cleared everything and then rushed him and got a face full of WoG and died instantly from full health. Second time I tried again and tried to hit and roll but still was caught in the blast. Third time I just said gently caress it and pimped my Pyro hand to +4 and smashed him in the face with fireballs.

Edit: For the record, I was around SL 30-35 and was using a Mace +3 or something like that because the game is a douche and starves you for shards early on and I was stupidly putting them into my lovely starting shortswords because I had no idea bladed weapons were rendered completely poo poo in this game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 20, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Color Printer posted:

Run in with a halberd and spam the spin move. Congratulations, everything is now loving dead.

One does not spam the halberd spin.

No, seriously. That move is a stamina hog.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Bring Benhart if you are actually having trouble with this fight for any reason because once you roll past the first pair of lightning bolts he can solo it while you run and hide behind the pews. Or just wait for him to get everyone's attention off you and run around backstabbing dudes.

But I mean...it's Congregation so...yeah...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Can someone explain what Jester's Robe does?

I thought it made it so that backstabs simply do not happen.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

One does not spam the halberd spin.

No, seriously. That move is a stamina hog.

I didn't mean it literally but yeah that move drains stamina like nothing else.

Also I have no idea how to use Ultra Greatswords effectively without destroying my stamina. They baffle me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Bring Benhart if you are actually having trouble with this fight for any reason because once you roll past the first pair of lightning bolts he can solo it while you run and hide behind the pews. Or just wait for him to get everyone's attention off you and run around backstabbing dudes.

But I mean...it's Congregation so...yeah...

Oh, I asceticed and farmed him to complete Benhart's quest, but by the time I was doing that I had respecced from my terribly underwhelming Quality build and just ran in with a spinning GS swing that would clear most of the room before I'd slam the Magus' face in with a 2H R2.

I'm just saying, if you went in cold with a small weapon pure melee type like a rapier user or whatever, that fight could totally gently caress you because of the mechanics used against you since every other boss up to that point is alone and not a group, nor has a fast casting PBAE that can kill you in one hit with very little visual effect or animation.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So I want a good lightning chime, and the go-to one seems to be the Dragon Chime. But I don't really want to do all the grimdark covenant stuff. Can I just kill Grandahl or is that just a hassle/locks me out of too much good poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fuzz posted:

It's more that the magus himself casts WoG and if you were doing an 8 vigor run like I was, it literally blows you away in one hit and has a pretty big radius. I died to him twice because I cleared everything and then rushed him and got a face full of WoG and died instantly from full health. Second time I tried again and tried to hit and roll but still was caught in the blast. Third time I just said gently caress it and pimped my Pyro hand to +4 and smashed him in the face with fireballs.

Edit: For the record, I was around SL 30-35 and was using a Mace +3 or something like that because the game is a douche and starves you for shards early on and I was stupidly putting them into my lovely starting shortswords because I had no idea bladed weapons were rendered completely poo poo in this game.

I'm confused how you can get a Fragrant Branch of Yore, get through Shaded Woods, defeat Scorpioness Najka, get past several Gyrm warriors, clear the beginning of Brightcove, all at SL 30-35, and then have any issue at all with Prowling Magus. All of those listed things are more difficult than Prowling Magus.

Seriously, he does two things. WoG and the dark orb thing. Bait him into an attack, if it's WoG get out, if it's not punish him.