Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Walking through the local WAL*MART today, thinking about getting a new TV. Guess what they had in the case to sell?

WiiU Deluxe MarioKart8 Bundle. Red box, bigger than the NSMB bundle right next to it.

So of course I didn't buy one because I already have a WiiU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jacksonville, FL
River City Marketplace

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles kind of had it all ways where some of the levels were just fast, some were fast if you knew what you were doing and some you just had to take slowly.

If anything is proof that S3&K had some of the best level design in the series, it's this new TAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRI4I3jebM

The sheer number of paths in each stage is insane, and the visual designs of the stages haven't been matched in the Advance or Sonic 4 games. Those tended to just be pathways floating against a background, rather than distinct areas. They also offered very few opportunities for backtracking, which made getting all the special rings in Sonic Advance 2 as a non-flying character a huge pain.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

axleblaze posted:

All of that is fair enough. I was pretty much mainly oversimplifying alot. It still stands that the games really did all define what a Sonic games was differently.

And I haven't playing Lost Worlds yet :v: Waiting for that to get real cheap (at least $20, probably less) before I get that.

Then allow me. It tries to combine both the 2D and 3D sections from Generations, whilst then adding on new power ups, new core mechanics, new controls, whilst also expanding on the two respective gameplay styles.

Naturally, it does somewhat collapse under the weight.

I say this even as someone who likes the game: its unrefined in many areas, some levels just break up their own pace badly, and at its worst, where the game appears to be trying to award good knowledge (which it sometimes does, especially when it does the parkour right), it instead seems to be rewarding flatout precognition. One of the last few bosses has some of the most non-intuitive weaknesses I've ever seen from franchise - both times you fight him, at that. Thankfully, the actual final boss redeemed things somewhat, but it was close for me.

When Lost World does its stuff right, even accounting for some player inexperience, it really does things right. I found worlds like Tropical Coast to be colourful, expansive, creative - fun. Worlds like Silent Forest can often be held back by less than stellar physics, and mini-loading screens as you transition from set piece to set piece killing your speed. So yeah, a mixed bag if there ever was one.

Edit: I must say, I do appreciate your point, since its something I've come to think of the franchise as well, and I think its kinda both its weakness and its strength. Its always trying something new to stay fresh - sometimes it does, sometimes they plucked the fruit before it was ripe.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How are the Yoshi and Zelda levels in Lost World?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So Hyrule Warriors just got some new coverage in some Japanese magazine by the looks and a scan seems to be floating around the internet.

Sounds like the Japanese release will be sometime in August, and Skyward Sword Impa is part of the scan, so returning characters are involved in some form then.

I still think Link's new scarf is pretty bitchin.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kirios posted:

How are the Yoshi and Zelda levels in Lost World?

The Yoshi stage is barely even a level, and the Zelda stage is kinda cute but not really very substantial. At least they're free!

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Rack posted:

Everyone loves a good E3 rumor/leak. Take with as many grains of salt as you'd like.

http://i.imgur.com/mMp2YtM.jpg

Man, if only this was true. Out of that GameCube VC lineup, I'd instantly have to buy Melee, F-Zero GX and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. All amazing games. Nintendo, make it happen!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Zelda Musou will never stop being weird to me. Of all the crossovers, they had to pick musou...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looks like the Wii servers are officially down. RIP Mario Kart Wii and Bullet "Skill" Bill. :smith:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RIP Rosalina + Bowser Bike...I won a lot of races with that combo...

Oh well, Mario Kart 8's out in 10 days and that one looks to be way better than the Wii one.

So...what was everyone's favorite tracks in Mario Kart Wii?

1. GBA Bowser Castle 3
2. SNES Mario Circuit 3
3. Toad's Factory
4. Koopa Cape
5. N64 Mario Circuit

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kirios posted:

1. GBA Bowser Castle 3
2. SNES Mario Circuit 3
3. Toad's Factory
4. Koopa Cape
5. N64 Mario Circuit

1. Maple Treeway (I know... :saddowns:)
2. Bowser's Castle
3. N64 Mario Circuit
4. Koopa Cape
5. GCN Mario Circuit

If there's one thing that makes me a little sad in anticipation of Mario Kart 8, it's that MK7 already had all the best retro tracks. Kalamari Desert, Koopa Cape, Dino Dino Jungle, Daisy Cruiser, Airship Fortress, Waluigi Pinball and Maple Treeway. I would've loved to see all those tracks show up in Mario Kart 8, but it just wasn't meant to be.

At least Mushroom Gorge being in MK7 means we'll never have to see it again. Good riddance. :argh:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

JordanKai posted:

At least Mushroom Gorge being in MK7 means we'll never have to see it again. Good riddance. :argh:

Exactly. I lost the MKWii send off tournament my friend had last weekend because the last course was Motherfucking Mushroom Gorge and I am so bad at that track. I always drift too hard before the long jump shroom section and careen off the cliff. :argh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm glad Daisy Cruiser can disappear forever. Hate that drat track.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Looks like the Wii servers are officially down. RIP Mario Kart Wii and Bullet "Skill" Bill. :smith:

In my week long blitz of actually playing all my Wii games' multiplayer modes I managed to find an opponent for everything except Octomania and Monster Hunter. And Monster Hunter it was because I had to start over again, played three hours, was still in the tutorials and doing insanely boring MMO reject quests, and gave up. I think that's about the fifth time that's happened.

Somehow I even found someone to race in Nights, a game I expected to never find anybody in.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kirios posted:

Oh well, Mario Kart 8's out in 10 days and that one looks to be way better than the Wii one.

1. GBA Bowser Castle 3
2. SNES Mario Circuit 3
3. Toad's Factory
4. Koopa Cape
5. N64 Mario Circuit

1. GBA Bowser Castle 3
2. SNES Mario Circuit 3
3. Mushroom Gorge
4. Koopa Cape
5. N64 Mario Circuit

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I'm glad Daisy Cruiser can disappear forever. Hate that drat track.

Sorry you hate awesome things.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crawfish posted:

So Hyrule Warriors just got some new coverage in some Japanese magazine by the looks and a scan seems to be floating around the internet.

Sounds like the Japanese release will be sometime in August, and Skyward Sword Impa is part of the scan, so returning characters are involved in some form then.

I still think Link's new scarf is pretty bitchin.

Here's what I got from this website: http://nintendoeverything.com/a-few-hyrule-warriors-details/

- Premium box will be available for at least 10,000 yen (exact amount unknown)
- Retail release is at least 7,000 yen (exact amount unknown)
- Digital release is at least 6,000 yen (exact amount unknown)
- Producers: Hisashi Koinuma, Yosuke Hayashi
- Supervisor: Eiji Aonuma - Developers: ω-Force / Team NINJA
- Link sets off to rescue Princess Zelda
- Zelda has been kidnapped by the evil witch Shia
- Link, Impa, Shia introduced in the magazine
- Some of Shia’s minions shown as well
- Shia might be under control of a force of dark magic (not clear)
- Locations include Hyrule Field
- Will have unexpected playable characters

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You've got to be loving joking.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/exclusive_lost_wii_game_sadness_to_be_revived_as_wii_u_exclusive

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hahaha are you loving kidding me? There is no way that this game actually gets released.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Kirios posted:

1. GBA Bowser Castle 3
2. SNES Mario Circuit 3
3. Toad's Factory
4. Koopa Cape
5. N64 Mario Circuit

1. Maple Treeway
2. Koopa Cape
3. Grumble Volcano
4. Mushroom Gorge
5. GCN Waluigi Stadium
6. DK Summit
7. Toad's Factory

I sort of like fast levels with some danger to them, though I'm not a big fan of Wii's Rainbow Road, I feel like it might've been my least favorite track.

JordanKai posted:

If there's one thing that makes me a little sad in anticipation of Mario Kart 8, it's that MK7 already had all the best retro tracks. Kalamari Desert, Koopa Cape, Dino Dino Jungle, Daisy Cruiser, Airship Fortress, Waluigi Pinball and Maple Treeway. I would've loved to see all those tracks show up in Mario Kart 8, but it just wasn't meant to be.

It's pretty sad that Maple Treeway was already used in MK7 because I think its visual style would've been perfect for 8. It's easily the most visually interesting track from Wii and I feel like the anti-gravity mechanic could've been used uniquely, like having branches act as tubular sections of track. Not to mention how neat Waluigi Pinball would've been in contrast to something like Electrodome's visual style.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Next up: Bob Ross joy of painting

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Is this a loving FMV game?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

quote:

Randy Freer: The original Sadness was running on Gamebryo from Gamebase USA, which actually was one of the first companies to pledge support for Wii U with their own engine this gen. However, this new title will most likely make use of the Unity engine.
Jeremy Kleve: Since this is our own realization of the game, it would not feel right if we did not start from scratch. Besides, we are introducing new elements that were never intended in the original brief, including RPG and puzzle-based mechanics.
Randy Freer: Not to mention the shift to 2D.

It's a brand new game vaguely similar in concept and, theoretically, art direction. So it's just a familiar name to Nintendo fans that already had some hype behind it and will grab headlines from game outlets when it releases. Not that bad a business strategy to grab some attention for your indie sidescroller.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is this a loving FMV game?

Sadness is a vapourware game that was announced back when the Wii was still called the Revolution; the publishers somehow managed to string people along for years and years without ever letting people play or even see the game, and while it's pretty clear it never really existed, noone could work out whether it/the publisher was trying to run some sort of scam or whether they were just completely inept. (Stupid) people spent years of their lives arguing about whether or not Sadness was cancelled, whether the publishers were gonna release any new media this year, blah blah. I never really understood why people were so hyped for so long, but it was fun to watch.

Anyway, this new "revival" is a completely new game with the name tacked on, developed by two dudes who met in an IGN thread about the game or something, and they haven't actually started development or even received approval from Nintendo, so...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I wanna buy MK8 for the promotion and pick up NSMBU, i never played any other NSMB game outsode of the DS one however. What should i know? How does the promotion work?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'll just need a club Nintendo account. If you are buying MK8 digitally tie your WiiU eShop account to your club account first. If retail, there will be an insert in the box with a code to enter in the club Nintendo site. Once you register it they'll probably email instructions.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

It's a shame it's not nearly as lengthy as Origins, but it's still pretty darn good, either way.
The game has ~80% of Origin's levels included with the new ones, how on earth is it not as lengthy? :psyduck:

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AHungryRobot posted:

The game has ~80% of Origin's levels included with the new ones, how on earth is it not as lengthy? :psyduck:
I wouldn't include it as part of the main campaign but just a bonus.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wouldn't include it as part of the main campaign but just a bonus.

Alright but then it's only shorter in the sense that there's not quite as many new levels, rather than total playtime.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1 - Maple Treeway
2 - Daisy Circuit
3 - Delfino Square
4 - Peach Gardens
5 - Moonview

A big part of this is the music. Maple Treeway is so relaxing and Peach Gardens plays Que Sera Sera.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

AHungryRobot posted:

I really wouldn't count that as a part of the game's main story. Mainly what I mean is that I would have loved to see more of the level design ideologies introduced in Legends. It doesn't help that I've already played Origins, anyway.

Kirios posted:

1. Koopa Cape
2. Coconut Mall
3. Toad's Factory
4. Rainbow Road
5. GBA Shy Guy Beach

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I loved Koopa Cape on the Wii but I thought the underwater part in 7 was much worse.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

zenintrude posted:

I know that Zombi U is the golden child around these here parts but if you don't own Lego City Undercover then you're a dum-dum.

It really makes me upset that I can't ever find Lego City Undercover on sale because I really want to play it, but I don't think I'd be able to justify the $40 it's been holding steady at simply because I don't have hardly any time to play games as it is.

BlandGenericFace
Nov 14, 2012
Quick question about the WiiU deal on Mario Kart - in the UK (maybe elsewhere too?) if you buy Super Mario Kart for the Virtual Console it'll knock £5.49 off the price of Mario Kart 8. If I do that deal, does anyone know if I'll still be entitled to the free game deal for buying Kart 8, or does one negate the other? Had a look around but couldn't find anything clarifying that. Thanks guys! Figured I might as well get SNES Mario Kart free too if possible!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Just going off prior experience, my guess is that the deal with Super Mario Kart is more of a "connection" deal like what they did with Dr. Luigi and the indie sale earlier this year - that is to say, it can be done entirely without Club Nintendo, and is contained within the eShop. The Mario Kart 8 free game deal is something that you get with CN, and since you'd be buying the game digitally (I assume), it'll automatically register the game onto Club Nintendo (which I'm PRETTY SURE means you already have to be on Club Nintendo and have your eShop account connected to Club Nintendo so be absolutely sure to do that), and that'll be the factor that gets you your free game.

So basically, the two deals are independent of one another, and you should be able to take advantage of both.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Random Stranger posted:

In my week long blitz of actually playing all my Wii games' multiplayer modes I managed to find an opponent for everything except Octomania and Monster Hunter. And Monster Hunter it was because I had to start over again, played three hours, was still in the tutorials and doing insanely boring MMO reject quests, and gave up. I think that's about the fifth time that's happened.

Somehow I even found someone to race in Nights, a game I expected to never find anybody in.

The Monster Hunter servers actually went down over a year ago to make room for the Wii U MonHun servers.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Anyway, this new "revival" is a completely new game with the name tacked on, developed by two dudes who met in an IGN thread about the game or something, and they haven't actually started development or even received approval from Nintendo, so...

The cycle continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I had completely forgotten it even existed in the first place. At least the black and white artwork was kinda nice.

• Locked thread