Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'm lucky in that I own a keyboard that has media controls that perform the same function as a footpedal does, so I was able to hold off on ordering one until I was officially put on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I think most people use Infinity, and my IN-USB-1 has been serving me since I started transcribing many, many moons ago. As for software, it's up to you, but I particularly like InqScribe.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently Writers Domain took a large chunk of about 3,000 400 word articles and outsourced them to Text Broker and Writers Access. I can't confirm personally, but the article count went down instantly the other day and those same keywords are now appearing on those sites.

This was on their Facebook page today

quote:

WritersDomain.net We have a lot of older articles that need to be written so we've enlisted the help of other places. We'll also be hiring soon.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

And yet I know of at least three people, myself included, on their waiting list because they aren't adding more writers to meet their demand.

Writer's Domain is such a goddamn weird place.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Every time I see Focus Forward send out a call for an urgent revision opportunity, and it's for one of those 2-hour focus groups, I smile and know I'm not alone.

The last time I ever did one, there were ten different women talking over each other in this free-for-all about some fashion brand, and constantly rattling off different brand names that my goony self has no drat clue about to even start Googling for context.

I think this was actually a psychological breakthrough for me to help overcome my perfectionist tendencies, cause by the time I got to the last half hour and it was devolving into a sea of [INAUDIBLE] [CROSSTALK] I was pretty much like "I don't even care if this sucks rear end, it's all you're getting and you're gonna like it, gently caress you guys!"

blueblaze
Jul 31, 2006

kazmeyer posted:

I think the starting pay rates may have changed, but everything in that little quote box I wrote still stands as far as I can remember. It can be fun, but it can be really mind-numbing as well. Do the little self-test I mentioned, transcribe some spoken word or comedy piece, and see if you still want to do this for money. If so, Focus Forward and Daily Transcripts are still probably your best bet for starting out.

And yeah, it's transcriber or transcriptionist, interchangeably. I always stick both of them into my Craigslist searches when I'm trolling for clients. Transcriber seems to be more commonly used.

EDIT: Actually, upon looking at it again, I do see one thing I disagree with now. For some reason, I slagged off on clients that pay an hourly rate. I think that may have been due to running into some shady ones at the time that would do things like insist an hour's worth of tape should only take an hour or something ridiculous like that. I can safely say that if you find a place willing to offer you an hourly rate and willing to pay you for actual work -- i.e. ones that understand an hour of tape usually takes around four hours of hard graft for a starting transcriber -- definitely cultivate that relationship. My favorite client right now pays hourly rates, and every time I do a per-minute job that turns into a slog I find myself becoming more and more willing to work for the per-hour guys.

My only actual experience with transcription has been through DT, so I have no idea how to get transcription work through craigslist. My guess is they would be looking for people with at least some experience and the fact that I'm based outside of the US would be another limiting factor. Ideally, I'd want to get back in with DT so I can build up my transcription experience. My problem is that I haven't worked in a couple years so my resume is in a deplorable state and with inadequate experience I am stuck in a catch-22. With DT, even though I may be on their list of inactive employees, at least I've shown I can do the work. I was always very meticulous with my assignments, turning in work that was high quality and on time. I stopped signing up for work and disappeared after awhile so they probably see this as unreliability. Fair enough, but what to do now? Should I keep trying to convince them to take me on by offering to re-do the test or something to prove my abilities?

I am home all day so I have all the time to make it work this time. Any advice?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Slightly Used Cake posted:

But snail mail is the best! It' the only thing that comes in that isn't bills and coupons for Big Macs!

Also do you guys do PayPal at all?

Getting back to you on this: No, we don't. We had a bad experience with PayPal before I was hired, so it's just snail mail if you don't have a U.S. bank account.

Still haven't gotten any resumes--maybe some of you with less than 6 months experience wanna PM me, if you swear on your e-honor not to flake or wash out...!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Astro7x posted:

Apparently Writers Domain took a large chunk of about 3,000 400 word articles and outsourced them to Text Broker and Writers Access. I can't confirm personally, but the article count went down instantly the other day and those same keywords are now appearing on those sites.

Speaking of which, there are over 1000 articles available on WA right now for everyone with an account. Though the "David" client has like a 16 point checklist for his SEO requirements so have fun with that.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I have an infinity pedal, and I swear by inqscribe whenever possible. the ability to have macros is loving priceless!

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Attention transcribers who have been at this for at least six months:

How many of you would be available for overnight turnaround projects at $1.25/minute? The workflow would be as follows--

• I give you a request at around 9:00 p.m. Central.
    • You confirm the request and download the video and transcribe it according to our style.
    • You send it back to us by 7:00 a.m. the next day.

PM me if you're interested.

I can't PM on the site but I would be interested. Any way you could shoot me an email? nisselphatATgmail

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Astro7x posted:

So they outsourced these $20 articles to Textbroker for $4.25 a piece? I'm assuming they're the hundreds of three-star articles now available on TB.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

thylacine posted:

So they outsourced these $20 articles to Textbroker for $4.25 a piece? I'm assuming they're the hundreds of three-star articles now available on TB.

Just went to see. Close to 3000 right now :stare: Uhh, if anyone wants 'em, head on over.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They turned off the article cap at Writers Domain for the first 15 days of May for a contest. Usually it's 80 articles a month for $1,600. Some writers I spoke with have written as many as 10 a day so far to take advantage of it.

If I knew they were going to send stuff over to TextBroker for $4.25 a piece instead of $20, I would have outsourced them to you guys for much more than that.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Derek79 posted:

I can't PM on the site but I would be interested. Any way you could shoot me an email? nisselphatATgmail

Sent. Hope to hear from you soon.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got an email from Helium.com today. They're closing their doors, setting everything to read-only so you can't publish more content. I only ever wrote one or two things for them, and it was always "here have six cents for that over the course of a month" so completely not worth it. Amusing that it took this long for them to give up.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The audio:
I don't know what to do now.

The transcript:
Okay.
Screw you.

:pwn:

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

The audio:

The transcript:
Okay.
Screw you.

I can top it.

Once at 3 AM I couldn't sleep and decided, gently caress it, I may as well give up on that and get some work done instead.

Found a 2 second file up for grabs: "Hello, blah blah blah blah blah."

Well uh, yeah, I wrote that down and handed it in. Thanks for the buck, guy :psyduck:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Would you like to do this very editing heavy job that's a rush, and also very finicky for this super detail oriented client, but at the regular rush rate? *super eager puppy dog face*

No. No I would not. *goes back to knitting and watching The 100*

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The audio:

The transcript:
Okay.
Screw you.

Coincidentally, I received and promptly finished up my first official project this afternoon. Went better than expected, really. Gotta take some time to get more used to this whole footpedal thing, though.

EDIT: Quick question regarding DT. Are they being affected by that oil spill down in LA or something? I haven't heard from them at all today, even after emailing them to check if there's any work I can do today (I also had to do the same thing yesterday to get that first assignment that I mentioned in my original post).

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 17, 2014

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I just have a quick question before I send in my w9 to daily transcription: Does the HR person (HRdailytranscription) use gmail? I just want to make sure I am getting a legitimate email from the company before I send in my social, address, full name etc etc.

Also, if this is on the up and up, I'm pretty stoked that I got in!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It is on the up-and-up, and HR does use a gmail account. They've been pretty lenient though, you could probably mail your documentation to any of the main set of employees that do the email stuff.

And as proof that speak of the devil always brings that devil around, I just got my next work assignments a few minutes ago, although it does seem a bit late in the night but whatever, I've got until Monday morning to turn these around so it's no big, knock those out tomorrow morning.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

Coincidentally, I received and promptly finished up my first official project this afternoon. Went better than expected, really. Gotta take some time to get more used to this whole footpedal thing, though.

EDIT: Quick question regarding DT. Are they being affected by that oil spill down in LA or something? I haven't heard from them at all today, even after emailing them to check if there's any work I can do today (I also had to do the same thing yesterday to get that first assignment that I mentioned in my original post).

They'll send you work as it comes in, based on whatever amount of audio you asked for. Sometimes you'll get all the minutes you asked for, sometimes you'll get just ten minutes, and sometimes you'll get nothing. It really depends on their work flow. In other words, you don't have to email them asking about it, just make yourself available and wait for them to get back to you. You will, on occasion, have weeks where you get only a couple piddly projects.

Also: you might receive your work at 1pm, or you could get an assignment sent out to you at 11pm. I've had one or two show up at 12am my time (10pm PST), so it's all over the place.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Good to know, I just figured they did a 9 to 5 operation, since until now it's been pretty set that I'd get the first responses of the day for a question or whatever starting between 1pm to 2pm my time (So right around 10 to 11am their time).

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Nope, I've seen the girls on all hours... I am one of the girls, I do all of the hours. Just make sure your calendar is up to date. This is only your first week so you're probably still being worked into the schedule.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

Good to know, I just figured they did a 9 to 5 operation, since until now it's been pretty set that I'd get the first responses of the day for a question or whatever starting between 1pm to 2pm my time (So right around 10 to 11am their time).

Typically, you'll get a response to just about anything, especially some kind of scheduling concern, it could just take some time. Rest assured, though, you will get work if you signed on for it, and if it's really slow, Sally or someone else will come right out and tell you that it is if you ask.

One thing you do want to be prompt about to cover your rear end is if suddenly you have plans for a day you're signed up for, and can't remove from your schedule on account of the software not allowing takesies-backsies within a 24 hour timeframe. Sometimes they miss the emails (this happened to me recently), but given it's the busy season, it's understandable. So long as you sent the initial email, and say again that you can't take the work as soon as you see the assignment, they generally won't penalize you for turning it down. In my case, I didn't get the refusal sent back to them within the usual 6 hours, since I was in training for a job for eight, and they managed to send me the file right after I left for work. They were still cool about my backing down from it when I explained the situation.

That's about the only main issue I've had with them, though (save one of the QC folks sending me an emailed rebuke that was meant for another transcriptionist, but that was far more :lol: than :byodood: on both sides of the fence, and doesn't really count as an issue). Everything else's been pretty straightforward, once you get used to it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 18, 2014

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Heh, that's because you both have really similar names.

And yes, this week was slow, but it's shaping up to be better. Big point is always stay in contact if there's any big issues. We're not expecting you to respond if it's four AM... I mean I do, but I apparently don't sleep. Oh, and fi you know you're going to be finishing an assignment and heading out of town shortly after, just let Sally know and she can leave a note on the log or something. Or even better do tat AND cc submissions. It's by no means required, but it's greatly appreciated. Otherwise we're left thinking you're the jerk who never answers QC... which some people are. Don't be them.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Haha, I haven't had time to fiddle with freelancewatchdog.com for a week or so. I just noticed it's been the victim of a massive spam attack. There are thousands of spam posts I need to cull, now. This should be a learning experience.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
Moral support is mostly all I can offer for a month or two, but Freelance Watchdog is a worthy endeavor. It might take six months to start to realize its potential, but until someone else comes up with a better venue for this kind of information and discussion I think you're incubating something that has a lot of potential.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
If you were to start some kind of kickstarter like shenanigan so that I could donate to help the cause, I would be very into doing that, and I would spread the word. Good companies breed good contractors.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:
I think I remember some people here on the waitlist for Writers Domain, and I just got an email from them. I applied back somewhere around November, and today I got an email saying that I would need to complete the application process over again (because of all the changes to their system they've made) BUT that I could be immediately accepted after doing that. So... I guess it's good to know that our applications didn't just disappear into the void?

I haven't redone the application yet, so I don't know how different it will be from the original.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Looks like I got the same e-mail, so I guess they're letting people in, finally.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Mark Kidd posted:

Moral support is mostly all I can offer for a month or two, but Freelance Watchdog is a worthy endeavor. It might take six months to start to realize its potential, but until someone else comes up with a better venue for this kind of information and discussion I think you're incubating something that has a lot of potential.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I also believe that Freelance Watchdog could grow into something very useful. I wish I could devote more time to the project, but I am currently unemployed and trying to keep my poo poo together while working on getting my fingers into more freelancing pies.

Slightly Used Cake posted:

If you were to start some kind of kickstarter like shenanigan so that I could donate to help the cause, I would be very into doing that, and I would spread the word. Good companies breed good contractors.

Some other people mentioned that. I am not opposed to the idea, I just don't know if I have the time or expertise to do it right.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Goldfinch posted:

I think I remember some people here on the waitlist for Writers Domain, and I just got an email from them. I applied back somewhere around November, and today I got an email saying that I would need to complete the application process over again (because of all the changes to their system they've made) BUT that I could be immediately accepted after doing that. So... I guess it's good to know that our applications didn't just disappear into the void?

I haven't redone the application yet, so I don't know how different it will be from the original.

I got the same email after the same kind of wait. Let us know about the new test, I haven't done it either and have to go research the proper "it's" again before I try.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those getting into Writers Domain, I'll post my tips on what I think they like based on my past 150 or so accepted articles under the new format.

If anybody has any questions, ask away!

quote:

Title
Concise and not too long, tells the reader what to expect in the article.

"All Capital Letters Like This In A Title"

Using "How To…" is a great idea, as it tells the reader they will learn to do something. "A Beginners Guide To…" can work as well, but I've found that the reviewers expect you to over explain things because you assume the reader knows nothing as a beginner. The classic "5 Tips To Do..." also works well with them

If your title is "How To Install A Thermostat", but then give info in the article about the benefits of controlling your thermostat, how to install, and information about energy savings, you will probably get a revision saying to focus on just the installation. I just reword the title to encompass all the information. "Guide To Energy Savings And Thermostats" or something like that.

Intro
Short, concise. Two sentences? Gives a summary of what the article is about. Lets the reader know. Don't use rambly anecdotes to start article, get right into it.

Headers
Make sure they are the same style. For example. "Clean The Grill", "Light The Grill", "Store The Grill". Putting -ing at the end of words in titles causes revisions sometimes… it depends on if it can do without it or not. Obvious don't mix "lighting the grill" with "store the grill". Or mix commands with questions. They should be similarly structured.

Body Paragraphs
I keep paragraphs no more than 3 sentences. Can be as short as one. Line breaks help readability.

Try to have the paragraphs under each header roughly the same size. For example. The section on cleaning the grill should be the same length as the section on lighting the grill. It's stupid, but if one is twice the length as the other, try to find a breaking point and put in a new sub head.

Bullet Lists
If it's a how to article, you can't go wrong with a list of tools required. The list order should be the order that they are used in the article as well. List of tools are not required if they are really basic, but a list can't hurt to pad word count. A list of tools can be it's own subhead and paragraph. Usually like "to get started, you need to gather the following tools", then the bullet list, then a sentence afterwards to add whitespace/readability.

Bullet list should have the first letter of the first word of each bullet point capitalized. For example:
-Tape measure
-Power drill
-Table saw

Actionable Specifics
They love articles that have direction telling the reader what to do. Especially if it uses the word "You". Instead of saying "Use the saw to cut the wood...", it can say "you can use the saw to cut the wood..."

Generally, articles telling someone how to do something are better than articles like… the benefits of regular dental care, or something research heavy. Though those can get by if they are written well enough, I've found that a basic How To is much easier to get accepted than a researched article on a general topic.

Citations
You only need citations if you are using a statistic, or something very specific to add authority. It can also be used to aid the reader in the article. Writing an article about grilling? Link them to allrecipies.com's marinade section instead of telling how to make a marinade. Citations are basic hyperlinks, don't paste the full URL.

Be aware of the country and the source you are using. A US .gov site is not going to fly for a Canadian article.

You also only need to cite a webpage once if multipel stats are from the same site. So if you are citing the EPAs rules on what can or can't be thrown into a dumpster, you don't need to cite it for each instance.

Generally I lean to do without citations, as it gets messy. They say citations are what bumps you up from 3 Stars to a 4 or 5 Star article, but I have gotten 5 stars without a citation.

Conclusion
A simple one or two sentence conclusion is fine. You need a conclusion of some sort.

Review Process
The review process is really annoying. You could have three different reviewers looking at your article, one for each revision, and each of them find a new fault wrong with it. I have submitted rejected articles, and had them go through just fine with a new reviewer. It's almost like the comment trail on your article makes it get judges more harshly. If a reviewer says "take out this part about ___", just do it, because the next reviewer will return it saying you didn't follow instructions. And then it seems like the reviewers get a memo saying things like "make sure they use citations to add authority" then for a day or so it seems like you get a ton of revisions for the same drat thing. Then they stop caring and the comment goes away. It's weird, but they are in a transition process.

The blog is a good resource, as well as their facebook page. They respond to questions on their facebook page, or other writers will chime in.
http://blog.writersdomain.net/
https://www.facebook.com/writersdomain

Save Your Work!
DO NOT write in their lovely text box. The site LOVES to time out and then erase everything you typed when it logs you out. Write in Word, and turn the grammar settings all the way up. You should be saving all the articles you write in case they reject it, so you can edit and resubmit because their system doesn't save rejected articles.

The only other weird grammar thing that I found they are picky about is the oxford comma. I can't think of anything else 'writing style' wise to be aware of. Maybe it's spelled out in the writing guidelines now. At one point they were picky about a single space after periods, but now they are not.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 20, 2014

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

That's super helpful, thanks! The headers thing never would have occurred to me for a 400-word article. Or writing such short paragraphs. It... might take me a while to get the hang of this. :saddowns:

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I was wondering about turnaround times for Daily Transcription. They claim most jobs have a 24 hour turnaround, so does that mean if I sign up for a small amount of work on Friday, I will have until maybe Saturday afternoon to finish it? This is assuming I don't literally get work at like, one AM Friday morning I guess?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

That's super helpful, thanks! The headers thing never would have occurred to me for a 400-word article. Or writing such short paragraphs. It... might take me a while to get the hang of this. :saddowns:

If you check out the blog posts at the end of February they have some example articles. It's a bit misleading, as the 5 star examples are not representative of what they want at all in terms of content, with no actionable specifics. But they give you an idea of content structure.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Zorblack posted:

I was wondering about turnaround times for Daily Transcription. They claim most jobs have a 24 hour turnaround, so does that mean if I sign up for a small amount of work on Friday, I will have until maybe Saturday afternoon to finish it? This is assuming I don't literally get work at like, one AM Friday morning I guess?

You won't get it that early. Typically most assignments start rolling out anytime after 10AM PST, and honestly it depends on the job because of course clients do get a discount for large volumes of work, longer turnaround, etc. So depending on the client really. One client I know of will typically dump anywhere from 10 to 1,200 individual files on DT and so it can be a couple of weeks to roll through all of them so when you get a chunk they typically have a two or three day turnaround. Rush jobs are 24 hours or less depending on how taxing the format is.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zorblack posted:

Unless it's a rush order, the schedule will typically be that you sign up for work on, say, Monday, get an assignment, and your due date will be Tuesday EOD (6pm PST). Sometimes, it's 12pm PST on Wednesday. If it's a particularly difficult file, they sometimes extend those out a couple days for sanity's sake (the classroom one comes to mind). Or not!

Really, though, rush jobs are the only ones that are expected right away, as the name implies.

Friday sign-ups can land you anything from a Saturday/Sunday deadline to a Monday EOD deadline.

e;fb, and she knows more about this than I do anyway :v: But that's been my experience with deadlines overall.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
S'cool Boot you fleshed it out way better than I did. :)