Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm still kind of sad CA never bothered with a Invasion of Russia focused campaign for NTW. It would have been very interesting to try and preserve Napoleon's forces in the biggest fight against attrition and enemy numbers ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Hey, that fix worked. Stainless Steel plays again past Turn 51. Amazing! Thanks for the help folks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nice, you should be good to go at this point, and the fix sticks even if you use the setup program to change the AI or start date.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Empire II might come out in 2017-18. We got a long wait. Hopefully they'll include the Napoleonic era with it and this time around make more of an effort.

I have money riding the next installment will be the Medieval Era that goes up to the 17th century in campaign or DLC installments.

No love for WW1?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
WW1 was a pretty terrible conflict, I'd hope nobody has love for that slaughterfest. Anyway, the stagnant trench warfare and the immense power of defensive positions in that time period would make for a very boring Total War game, I'd say. You can simulate it in N:TW by making every army consist of 10 max rank, max upgraded howitzers and the rest filled with militia.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

WWI was more than just trench warfare (the Western Front).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, It was a pretty big diverse mechanised war over the world with multiple theatres. But I personally think a WW1 style Total Wsr game at least in the current mould we know won't work.

There is that NTW Mod if you want to try something like that. I'm looking forward to the more grander American Civil War mod they are working on with Shogun 2 FOTS assets at last.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Plus, the month of August would be pretty kickass for a Western Front game since it moved so fast and everyone is trying to attack at the same time and getting horribly slaughtered as head on attack meets head on attack. And the Eastern Front never bogged down since it was just too big for trench warfare to work. OTOH, only 3 real factions on the Eastern Front and I don't know how to make the weird hybrid of fixed formations and individual action that characterized WWI work in a Total War game as is. I would love to build the old tanks though, it would be like war elephants only more :black101:.

SeanBeansShako posted:

There is that NTW Mod if you want to try something like that. I'm looking forward to the more grander American Civil War mod they are working on with Shogun 2 FOTS assets at last.

Any word on how far along that new version of the civil war mod is?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

I still use winzip, good old winzip.

Okay grandpa.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Baloogan posted:

Okay grandpa.

If it works and 7zip doesn't add much, why are we changing it?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rogue 7 posted:

Well, I think I've figured this out. The Chosokabe are sweeping all before them and I should win in a couple of turns.

It turns out fully upgraded Naginata Samurai from a blacksmith province are almost impossible to kill. Couple them with superior accuracy Chosokabe bows, and I've been annihilating armies amazingly quickly. They melt under arrow fire, and my Naginatas never die.

I find the trick to really kicking rear end in Shogun 2 is finding a unit that you can just stack as many crazy bonuses on. Agents are very useful for this if they give any sort of bonus for the fighting ability of dudes. For instance, in Fall of the Samurai, having riflemen with +15 accuracy and 3 foreign advisors giving bonuses to accuracy and firing rate pretty much trivialized the entire thing.

I should play a Chosokabe campaign. When I was Ikko Ikki, their bow samurai were one hell of a counter to my masses of loan swords, if I couldn't engage them quickly. It is alarming just how fast they murder people at range.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
By the end of it, I had a crafts province turning out superior archers with obscene accuracy. Daikyu samurai are even better, with more range and even higher accuracy. I think by the end of it, I was easily able to decimate opposing archers even behind walls.

When I took Kyoto, I really won on the strength of my bows. I obliterated their defending bowmen, then swept their melee troops with arrows as my ashigaru advanced through the gates. The AI threw everything it had at them, but the arrows and my troops all being upgraded meant I somehow routed every last unit, and the game gave me the map win when I'd taken only the first level of Kyoto.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

All this discussion of the various things you can set your realm up to build in STW2 makes me sad about Rome. I still love it, but it really dropped the ball on province development.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, I really miss the Shogun 2 town growth mechanic too, where you could just keep going indefinitely and eventually your provinces would have lots of little buildings sprout up. Rome 2's works for the basic city levels and is afterwards incredibly boring.

Rogue 7 posted:

By the end of it, I had a crafts province turning out superior archers with obscene accuracy. Daikyu samurai are even better, with more range and even higher accuracy. I think by the end of it, I was easily able to decimate opposing archers even behind walls.

This is something that still mystifies me: what exactly are daikyu samurai good for? Unless you go Christian and don't have access to them, bow warrior monks beat them out in every way except for armour, which is pointless when you're supposed to be outranging everything anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So I went and played Empire for a bit before realizing that NTW is really where it's at, smaller-scale map/conflict or not. Goddamn, I remembered why I loved this game after the first barrage of cannon fire :black101:

Doing an Ottoman game with The Rights of Man 2 right now. Managed to not get ganged up on by the Austrians and Russians, so apart from a really tight war with Sardinia I've been steadily capping trade nodes and restoring the Sick Man of Europe with the Nizam reforms. Selim's going to run it back this time around!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I really miss the Shogun 2 town growth mechanic too, where you could just keep going indefinitely and eventually your provinces would have lots of little buildings sprout up. Rome 2's works for the basic city levels and is afterwards incredibly boring.

This is something that still mystifies me: what exactly are daikyu samurai good for? Unless you go Christian and don't have access to them, bow warrior monks beat them out in every way except for armour, which is pointless when you're supposed to be outranging everything anyway.

They are just superior versions of regular samurai archers, the only additional requirement is a hunter's lodge. Also, Chosokabe doesn't have good access to the monk specialty and daikyu are cheaper, as well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Monk speciality? :confused:

I mean yeah I get that they're (mostly; their reload skill is worse, which is actually fairly important) better than default samurai archers, but getting warrior monks isn't much more complicated and they're just better in every other way. 50 more upkeep for a significantly better unit isn't much.

It's just a pretty lame unique unit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Any word on how far along that new version of the civil war mod is?

Well, from what I gathered from my brief dip into the cesspool of TWC, a month or two maybe. They are reusing a lot of their NTW stuff they already have half the usual work done for it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Koramei posted:

I mean yeah I get that they're (mostly; their reload skill is worse, which is actually fairly important) better than default samurai archers, but getting warrior monks isn't much more complicated and they're just better in every other way. 50 more upkeep for a significantly better unit isn't much.

Sorry, was in a hurry and didn't remember the name of the holy site building in a province which gives additional experience to warrior monks.

My point is that daikyu samurai is a chosokabe-only middle tier unit between the samurai bow unit and the middle monk, both in price and stats. Usually I don't bother with warrior monks if I don't have ready access to a holy site or clan bonus to them, the Chosokabe don't have access to holy sites in Shikoku and usually there's no reason for me to build monasteries with them, so daikyu seems a reasonable elite bow unit.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Angry Lobster posted:

Sorry, was in a hurry and didn't remember the name of the holy site building in a province which gives additional experience to warrior monks.

Your bow warrior monks are more than capable of getting that experience on their own. What they can't gain by killing people is more base accuracy, which is why I always trained my bow monks in a province with a fully-upgraded Craft resource.

All this S2 activity is reminding me how much I enjoyed vanilla S2. I may have to play another campaign...

e: I proceeded to do this, only to discover possibly the most hilarious Total War glitch I've ever encountered. A unit of enemy Bow Ashigaru are shooting arrows, but their sound effect is that of FotS cannons firing :psyduck:

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 5, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LonsomeSon posted:

e: I proceeded to do this, only to discover possibly the most hilarious Total War glitch I've ever encountered. A unit of enemy Bow Ashigaru are shooting arrows, but their sound effect is that of FotS cannons firing :psyduck:

Glorious Japanese peasants can shoot arrows with the force of cannons! They have no need for filthy gaijin weapons :black101:!

And it's good to see that someone is willing to sacrifice their sanity to brave TWC, I haven't been in ages so I don't see mods until they show up in the Steam Workshop.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

LonsomeSon posted:

This is an issue with modding in Shogun 2, you have to run some sound fix or something when you install things sometimes. I barely remember the details but TWC or wherever should have the process listed fairly prominently.

Angry Lobster posted:

My point is that daikyu samurai is a chosokabe-only middle tier unit between the samurai bow unit and the middle monk, both in price and stats. Usually I don't bother with warrior monks if I don't have ready access to a holy site or clan bonus to them, the Chosokabe don't have access to holy sites in Shikoku and usually there's no reason for me to build monasteries with them, so daikyu seems a reasonable elite bow unit.

Aside from what LonsomeSon said (which is important; always upgrade your ranged units with accuracy. It's kind of a pain there aren't any craft workshops on Shikoku though)... they're really not middle tier; getting an extra slot in a settlement for a hunting lodge and getting the heaven and earth upgrade so you can get encampments takes just about as long as getting monasteries for bow monks. Every other unique unit is the hottest poo poo and entirely viable in the late game; daikyu samurai have half a place for about ten turns and then become utterly obsolete.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koramei posted:

Every other unique unit is the hottest poo poo and entirely viable in the late game; daikyu samurai have half a place for about ten turns and then become utterly obsolete.

Portuguese Tercos :allears:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hate the fact that most TWC Modders for Shogun 2 still treat the STEAM Workshop as a weird thing they rarely use and stick to the tiresome and slower old process because they are lazy jerks.

Also, congratulations on discovering the sound table bug! Yeah, CA coding once again leers at you from the game. When the novelty runs off just download and install this handy fix. Keep the file, you'll be needing it every time you download a new or edited unit of the game.

Also once again, the Cannon mod for FOTS is awesome. Get it on the Workshop if you are lazy then use this tool too.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 5, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Koramei posted:

Every other unique unit is the hottest poo poo and entirely viable in the late game; daikyu samurai have half a place for about ten turns and then become utterly obsolete.

Ashigaru are viable late game dude.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
:confused: I dunno where I said otherwise in that post? Or ever; I said exactly that like just a few weeks ago, even.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its the part where you said the unit was obsolete, it was more of a "Not really, if even loving ashigaru are viable late game than those bowmen definitely are" sort of comment.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Daikyu Samurai are, koku for koku, the best anti-ranged ranged unit in the game, a sort of super Bow Samurai. They trade the killing power of Bow Warrior Monks for superior ranged survival while maintaining a powerful opening and accurate salvo). The power of the opening salvo being both high accuracy with additional range is hugely underestimated by most players. They are not as useful as Chosokabe Bow Samurai, but you won't ever be fighting Chosokabe Bow Samurai if you have Daikyu Samurai (because *you* are the Chosokabe).

They are a great unit and perfectly viable all throughout the game, but they occupy an area where they shine best when against a specific army matchup (ranged heavy) which just doesn't happen all that often so you rarely get to see them shine like other, more straightforward units. I wouldn't say they go obsolete so much as occupy a very small niche. This is hardly uncommon amongst the unique clan units and they are far from the worst (Hattori Bandits, anyone?).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh so they're useful for multiplayer then?

Still think they're pretty much the worst though. Hattori bandits are at least interesting. :colbert:

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Beefeater1980 posted:

All this discussion of the various things you can set your realm up to build in STW2 makes me sad about Rome. I still love it, but it really dropped the ball on province development.

I agree. There are some good mods for that at least, but there's definitely a low ceiling for what those mods can do.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

Don't they have a significantly larger unit size than bow warrior monks? Like 120 vs. 90 or 75, something like that?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Koramei posted:

Oh so they're useful for multiplayer then?

Isn't the guy playing in singleplayer? If we were talking multiplayer strategy i'd have completely different replies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My quest for guns and explosions led me back to FotS, and I took Shako's recommended mods for a spin. It's great seeing the brutality of S2 again, but there's two things I noticed:

1) Regarding the Artillery pack: variety is good and all, but is it supposed to let me access Parrott Guns at the second tier cannon foundry? Because if so, most of the guns in the pack are practically rendered obsolete since Parrotts are superior in every way unless you want to use solid shot for some reason.

2) Artillery is so good in this game, I feel like trying to mix up your army composition beyond line/elite infantry, cannons, and about two cavalry units for cleaning up routers (don't forget to turn off fire-at-will) or spooking wavering units through flanking is a waste of effort. Sharpshooters are busted in this game since they don't have the ETW/NTW light infantry behavior, right?

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Would you guys recommend empire or napoleon? They look similar

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OH WORD SON posted:

Would you guys recommend empire or napoleon? They look similar

Napoleon, definitely. The combat engine is much, much better compared to Empire's. However, do note that the campaign mechanics are intentionally biased in favour of France: I once lost a hundred men against 5 dudes and their cannon through auto-calc. France is supposed to be the "boss" of the game, but you'll want to personally take charge in battles against the Big Blue.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Napoleon, definitely. The combat engine is much, much better compared to Empire's. However, do note that the campaign mechanics are intentionally biased in favour of France: I once lost a hundred men against 5 dudes and their cannon through auto-calc. France is supposed to be the "boss" of the game, but you'll want to personally take charge in battles against the Big Blue.

can i make an army headed by Richard shape. That is my main question. And thanks, picking it up!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OH WORD SON posted:

can i make an army headed by Richard shape. That is my main question. And thanks, picking it up!

Pretty sure the 95th Rifles are a unique British unit if you get the Special Forces DLC!

You heard the hat! vvv

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 10, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nope. You get the 95th in the Peninsula War DLC. Napoleon Total War's main camapign is set in 1805. You just get generic looking British and KGL Rifle regiments instead.

Also, I disagree about the games looking the same. Napoleon looks pretty goddamn handsome graphics and art wise compared to ETW.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Here is something that is neat.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?652678-Unlocking-RomeTW-Hardcoded-Limits-Memory-Editing

If that goes anywhere is pretty impressive to accomplish, especially since they seem to have done it in a way as to not break any laws.

I know most have moved on but Rome 1 is the one I probably play the most out of them all so IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good late game Ashigaru strategies? In the early game, I usually use them similar to Greek Hoplites or Scottish Pike Walls, but as bow samurai start appearing, I tend to focus more on Yari Samurai for their speed and endurance. How would you suggets I use them in the late matches where it feels like everything can carve them up?