Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Damiya posted:

honestly the more this show goes on the more weak the lead is.

Richard is just a giant vortex that mostly ruins the scenes he's in; Idk if it's the actor or the writing but I absolutely hate his plots

Yeah, pretty much everyone but him is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Damiya posted:

honestly the more this show goes on the more weak the lead is.

Richard is just a giant vortex that mostly ruins the scenes he's in; Idk if it's the actor or the writing but I absolutely hate his plots

I'm hoping it's just a very difficult-to-watch chrysalis, because yeah, he basically makes you want to slap your TV.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Danny Brown for the credits song rules.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hopefully Richard gets killed off in the finale GoT style because everything else in the show owns.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

nooneofconsequence posted:

Hopefully Richard gets killed off in the finale GoT style because everything else in the show owns.

How about they just do the backstab that he was warned about when he put Erlich on the Board of Directors?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
As lovely as Richard is they really need a straight man for the backbone of the show. Plus nobody else really has room to grow besides him so I'm ok with him in it. He is a shitlord though and I hate him, but it makes sense.

God drat TJ Miller kills it again.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

A straight man doesn't have to suck.

Dinesh is a straight man and he's the best.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

A straight man doesn't have to suck.

Dinesh is a straight man and he's the best.

yea basically this. Richard honestly does nothing to drive the plot, it happens in spite of him. he's not even funny.

Idk he really hampers my enjoyment of the show because his stories are just so awful.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

It'd be pretty awesome if he just bailed with the money after the first season and the show centered on Erlich as insaner Steve Jobs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The whole "I'm not obsessed with you, random girl!" plotline served no purpose except to be annoying and then make a "hurhur oh he's gay" joke at the end. Richard is getting too intolerable for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

As much as I loathe Richard, the mouth relaxing scene is one of the best ones in this show.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think Richard is bad, I think the other characters are just a lot more interesting.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

withak posted:

Dinesh and Gilfoil (sp?) are literally the best part of this.

Without question.

Also, Danny Brown playing during the credits was awesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Richard is clearly the least interesting cast member but I feel like that's kind of the point, so I don't mind it as much.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Richard is clearly the least interesting cast member but I feel like that's kind of the point, so I don't mind it as much.

Same. I don't fault the character or the actor. I enjoy all of the characters on this show in one way or another. I just so happen to enjoy Erlich, Gilfoyle, Dinesh and even Jared more. The poo poo between Richard and Big Head in the first ep was as good as the Richard character got, and who else in the cast could seriously get slapped around by a little kid when trying to buy adderall in the streets?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

AndyElusive posted:

and who else in the cast could seriously get slapped around by a little kid when trying to buy adderall in the streets?

Jared? I don't have any problems with the actor's performance, but Richard's character really is a weirdly redundant figure as far as comedic potential goes.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or he managed to turn it on and it malfunctioned, tossing out an EMP that fried *everything* in the hall. Next scene would be his unconscious and bloodied body crucified on a booth gantry.

Dear god you have a terrible sense of comedy

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I don't mind Richard because it's decent to have someone boring keeping everything grounded in reality. Erlich is the best part of the show, his actor kills it every episode

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
As annoying as Richard is, we need him around for the inevitable "growing up" scenes. He's likely the character with most development potential. We still have to spend the rest of the season watching them get successful, make their first few millions THEN see Richard get cocky and inevitably falling out with his team before making up again.

As long as the stories are told this well, I don't mind.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I just hope Jared lasts for season 2. He's the gang's punching bag- and they need someone to fill that role.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

CaptainHollywood posted:

I just hope Jared lasts for season 2. He's the gang's punching bag- and they need someone to fill that role.

I love him and the really disturbing little tidbits he shares about his life that no one responds to:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
My favourite thing was that Jared was stuck on a robot island in the middle of nowhere for days and it was barely even mentioned. I love it when shows just accept the ridiculousness of the world and run with it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everybody hates on Richard, but I actually like that he is so anticharisma and honestly I think it's on purpose. He's not suppose to be funny.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Everybody hates on Richard, but I actually like that he is so anticharisma and honestly I think it's on purpose. He's not suppose to be funny.
Well yeah. I can grasp why people consider the character unpleasant and awkward: he is...but that's kind of a necessary presence on the show. At least there's a tiny element of truth there representing the :spergin: element clearly existent in Silicon Valley...but I like all the goons here distancing themselves super overly-hard as much as they can from the character ("what a weirdo weird guy this is ugh my dislike of this character implies I am absolutely nothing alike in social awkwardness or anticharisma" like yeah we know guys, that's the point. The lady doth protest too much, methinks) and actually saying he should be removed (which absolutely baffles me since I consider him integral to a lot of the great comedy and interactions and amusing relationships, his anticharisma and awkwardness lead to many many many many many laughs at his expense).
I think the character provides a pretty sizable share of laughs, I mean if the guy wasn't useless and anticharismatic then you'd lose a lot of the opportunities for the great Erlich scenes. The vacuum (or "vortex") at the top of Pied Paper in terms of charisma and vision is what gives a chance for Elrich to shine, if he were more "normal" and well-adjusted then he wouldn't really need Erlich.
Like, it's simple comedic structure guys. :lol:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 20, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I enjoy this show and like the fact that like half the cast is Comedy Podcast Crew

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This isn't the first show to depend on the roommates/extra characters while the main character isn't very interesting. New Girl is one of my favourite comedies despite Zoey Deschanel. The secondary characters MAKE that show. It's ok if Richard is boring because it's his invention keeping the weirdos I like in the same room together.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
An unexciting protagonist surrounded by people we never quite see enough of is Jenji Kohan's MO, too.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 20, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, I agree, without Richard/PP this would be another TBBT but with a start-up seeder house setting. And personally I don't mind the character, I think he is ok, I just wish his subplots were a bit more interesting.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Rexides posted:

Yeah, I agree, without Richard/PP this would be another TBBT but with a start-up seeder house setting. And personally I don't mind the character, I think he is ok, I just wish his subplots were a bit more interesting.

I just wish he would take this multi-million dollar idea a bit more seriously. Stop loving around and do some loving work on time you dumb loving idiot!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

I love him and the really disturbing little tidbits he shares about his life that no one responds to:

And that his name isn't actually Jared, Peter Gregory just called him that and it stuck right?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

thathonkey posted:

And that his name isn't actually Jared, Peter Gregory just called him that and it stuck right?

It was Belson, not Gregory, but yea.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Inkspot posted:

An unexciting protagonist surrounded by people we never quite see enough of is Jenji Kohan's MO, too.

Entourage would totally disagree, bro.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing that would've made that scene better is if one of the 'testers' started getting a nosebleed and passed out.

Nah, the best thing would be a "Scanners" style head explosion by one of his subjects after he turns the machine on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seams posted:

My favourite thing was that Jared was stuck on a robot island in the middle of nowhere for days and it was barely even mentioned. I love it when shows just accept the ridiculousness of the world and run with it.

Pretty sure that plot line was a last minute emergency fix following the death of Christopher Evan Welch. It is mentioned twice in this episode, and both times the people talking about it are facing away from the camera and the audio is pretty obviously ADR'd in.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dead Snoopy posted:

Never seen it, but both Weeds and Orange Is The New Black follow that structure. The main characters are supported by much more interesting casts.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Dead Snoopy posted:

You're right - although in Entourage's defense nearly every character is uninteresting, not just the main character.

Seams posted:

As nonsensical as it was, it worked for me too. I also liked how the show wrote in the line, "Only 2% of the programming world is women" in order to brush off why women are (and will continue to be) underrepresented in the show.

I just realized that "gun" bit felt like something out of Seinfeld. Am I wrong on that? "How did he point it...?"

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

wooger posted:

Nah, the best thing would be a "Scanners" style head explosion by one of his subjects after he turns the machine on.

I might be dumb, but I thought the joke was that the heater is perfectly safe and the judges ignorance and panic was about expert know-it-alls being just as superstitious as the average person about things they dont understand (while being trusted by the public to make informed decisions on those things)

As well as having your knowledge of your subject of expertise disparaged and ignored by people who dont know how ignorant they are

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 20, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Yeah it's that. No you missed the entire thing. You're the guy presenting it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I might be dumb, but I thought the joke was that the heater is perfectly safe and the judges ignorance and panic was about expert know-it-alls being just as superstitious as the average person about things they dont understand (while being trusted by the public to make informed decisions on those things)

As well as having your knowledge of your subject of expertise disparaged and ignored by people who dont know how ignorant they are

Ummm no I definitely thought the joke was that the product was clearly unsafe and no one would ever buy such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

CaptainHollywood posted:

You're right - although in Entourage's defense nearly every character is uninteresting, not just the main character.

Johnny Drama would like a word with you.

• Locked thread