Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've been playing my main character despite murdering the Emerald Herald and having to spend all my souls on supplies/reinforcements instead of levels, and I'm hitting a wall, so I'm going to try something different since the Herald's gravestone hasn't shown up despite me beating the Skeleton Lords and the Jabba the Hutt guy that rolls and eats all your stuff.

I'm thinking about starting a magic character but have never done one in any Souls game. Any suggestions as to builds or wiki pages to get me started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

To be fair, Brightstone is the area of the game I dislike the most purely because of the parts after Magus.

Also, gently caress the spiders that hit like a loving truck in NG+ and beyond.

It's extra weird because they seem to have at least two attacks, which look almost identical: a regular, relatively weak bite/claw attack, and then the big attack where they rear back for a second and then 1/4 of your HP is gone.

The first spiders you encounter before the Magus seem to use the big damage attack far, far more than any others.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Seriously I have no idea how so many people loathe Amana and don't fly into a rage over Tseldora. Brightstone Cove Tseldora is the most aggravating place in the game. It's just the right level of cramped, yet full of harsh terrain, as to make the Hollow Mages an absolute loving nuisance even if they don't kill you.

God I hate that place. It's just a chore to deal with. In Amana you have all the maneuvering room in the world to work with.

Edit: Also you have to take multiple runs through Tseldora to loot everything, thus prolonging my irritation.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's no water in Brightstone and you can run past everything easily if you just want to go to the boss.

The lack of water is probably the biggest point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seriously I have no idea how so many people loathe Amana and don't fly into a rage over Tseldora. Brightstone Cove Tseldora is the most aggravating place in the game. It's just the right level of cramped, yet full of harsh terrain, as to make the Hollow Mages an absolute loving nuisance even if they don't kill you.

God I hate that place. It's just a chore to deal with. In Amana you have all the maneuvering room in the world to work with.

Edit: Also you have to take multiple runs through Tseldora to loot everything, thus prolonging my irritation.

It's at least possible to skip Tseldora.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Killing idiots for the bat staff in Brightstone is definitely a lot of fun and not making me mad at video game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think it was so bad. The one area right near the bonfire is annoying to fully loot, but otherwise it's a really short area. No where near as aggravating as the Iron Keep.

Though I guess my biggest criteria for how annoying an area is would be how difficult its boss run is. Tseldora is annoying to loot, but once you've done that it's trivial to run past all the enemies to the boss. Iron Keep is much worse because you have to clear out the enemies ... although actually most of my pain was because I wasn't going towards the boss but rather through the furnace which is harder, so maybe it's not so bad either.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The mages in Tseldora are easily second place in the "Most Annoying Ranged Assholes" category. But aside from them, the place isn't that bad. The spiders and basilisks die in one hit and you can move around relatively freely since there's none of that stupid water everywhere. You spend most of the time in little buildings or on relatively stable ground. The main problem with the place is how far the bonfire is from the boss, but that can be compensated for.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think it was so bad. The one area right near the bonfire is annoying to fully loot, but otherwise it's a really short area. No where near as aggravating as the Iron Keep.

Though I guess my biggest criteria for how annoying an area is would be how difficult its boss run is. Tseldora is annoying to loot, but once you've done that it's trivial to run past all the enemies to the boss. Iron Keep is much worse because you have to clear out the enemies ... although actually most of my pain was because I wasn't going towards the boss but rather through the furnace which is harder, so maybe it's not so bad either.

Which boss are we talking? One of them, you can blitz past all the enemies and rush the fog door and the other has just one ironclad knight standing in a tight stairwell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

So I've gotten three out of the four great souls I've been told to get and finally got an ember for this smith. What's the general opinion on infusions? If I'm going for a "find the biggest weapons and smash faces with them" build with 33 str/20 dex should I bother infusing my +10 Greatsword with anything? Is it basically like how in DS1 splitting your damage was a bad idea generally because defenses applied twice?

I don't think split damage is nearly as bad as it was in DS1, but at the same time elemental infusions won't increase your damage quite as much as elemental ascension did in DS1, and if you're putting most of your points in strength, infusing will most likely be a damage loss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Which boss are we talking? One of them, you can blitz past all the enemies and rush the fog door and the other has just one ironclad knight standing in a tight stairwell.

I was talking about Smelter, but as I wrote it I remembered that when I was trying to clear out all the enemies each time it was actually because I wasn't trying to get to Smelter, but rather to get to the route that bypasses him and leads to the Belfry. I didn't know it at the time, but I was making things much much harder on myself by not just fighting the boss and getting access to another bonfire.

The Old Iron King boss run is of course totally simple.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cryohazard posted:

Zero dragon fights you loving racist. Wyverns

Sorry, those creatures just all look the same to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm with you. The necromancer mage dudes in Tseldora give me more trouble than the mages in Amana ever did. Probably due to how cramped it is, and like you said, how uneven the terrain is.

Amana's just one big flat plane, its super easy to see where you're going and what threats are ahead and plan for them. Tseldora is kinda always chaos, running this way and that way and just aggroing one enemy after another, there's little breathing room.

gently caress, I thought that Straid was annoying to talk to because of the suicide exploders, but Ornifex can go gently caress herself living in Tseldora! At least she's an evil scary bird person from DS1 though, so it makes sense why she wouldn't just live in Majula, unlike Straid.

Plus those spider-dude assholes that like to get in a last-hit poke that's hard to dodge are lame.

I didn't die a ton in Tseldora but I didn't die much in Amana either. But Tseldora was pretty drat annoying.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I like Brightstone as an area overall but I think it being a vertical designed level that requires you to warp back to the top of it multiple times if you wish to 100% complete it is amazingly stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I like Brightstone as an area overall but I think it being a vertical designed level that requires you to warp back to the top of it multiple times if you wish to 100% complete it is amazingly stupid.

Oh hey maybe that's why they put that bonfire there - so people without homeward bones could actually get out without dying.

I think they could've just put some stairs. :v:

E: The one thing I did hate about Tseldora was getting summoned and having the host run down into that pit because once he's down there I'm definitely not fighting the boss on this summon run!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh hey maybe that's why they put that bonfire there - so people without homeward bones could actually get out without dying.

A bonfire most people miss.

And it doesn't stop it from being super annoying.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Te best way in Brighstone is to go from the second bonfire, go back to where you see the cliff and jump across and go to the second area. You can actually go back from the second lower area to the third bonfire by jumping up on the ledge where you drop to the square room with the skeleton. The spiders have only like 300hp on NG+ and I'd highly recommend you just attune a weaker spell with higher casts or use arrows to deal with them.

Will that one program work to limit my frames if I have an onboard graphics card? With everything turned down, the game certainly looks like it's getting more than 30 fps with just an HD4400. Personally, I'm glad they cut back the graphics cause gently caress graphics card havers. The black knight halberd is like one of the worst offenders for the fps thing because the stab that you get with the shield up does the most damage directly in front of you, but the animation goes way father and stays out for a bit. The thing breaks after you kill like 12 enemies with the stab.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Unlike Lost Bastille, if you've only got the Pursuer bonfire (and gently caress up breaking McDuff's wall, which is remarkably easy to do since you're coming from the wrong direction). Once you go far enough out of the tower, I don't think there's a way back in, so you have to beat the Ruin Sentinels to get to another bonfire. Am I wrong?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

y_3 posted:

Killing idiots for the bat staff in Brightstone is definitely a lot of fun and not making me mad at video game

If you don't like farming then just don't farm. The game can't be blamed for the self-inflicted pain of its users.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Unlike Lost Bastille, if you've only got the Pursuer bonfire (and gently caress up breaking McDuff's wall, which is remarkably easy to do since you're coming from the wrong direction). Once you go far enough out of the tower, I don't think there's a way back in, so you have to beat the Ruin Sentinels to get to another bonfire. Am I wrong?

You can open up the smith bonfire. Though hope that explosive barrel actually rolls straight to the wall or your're out of luck.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Coming from the Tower Apart bonfire, you simply kill the undead warden/jailer (the big mummy guys with the great machetes) and then push on the left side of the barrel. It will almost always go straight into the wall and, if it does not, you can push it yourself near the wall (it doesn't have to be very close really) and then hit it with fire damage.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I got to mcduff's from the pursuer side and I was able to just walk in to the bonfire/mcduff room. I must have blown up the wall on accident. To me it was just open, I didn't even see the explosion or anything, I was really confused when my friend said he missed it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, a part of the problem is the jailers or dogs can end up accidentally breaking the barrel. If you're not aware that you need to do it, coming from the Pursuer side can end you up stuck between a rock and three armored jumping assholes.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

I got tired of spamming emit force in bellbro pvp so I decided to upgrade a broadsword to +10 (love the moveset) and infused it with dark. Suddenly I'm 2-3 shotting people and I'm wondering if it's the +10 upgrade, the infusion, or both. Or if it's just that and people not adding points to vigor.

I have 15 str, and I think 28 int/fth. Sometimes I'll have a chance to use Dark Weapon which is huge but I don't need it. Is the infusion scaling that well with my int and faith or would I be doing similar damage without the infusion? I'd test it without the infusion but that was my only darknight stone. Only 800k SM if that's a big deal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Protip for fellow Blue Sentinels wanting to defend Apostles and be JUSTICE!!!! as gently caress:

Chill out next to Felkin at the Bonfire, you tend to get summoned fairly regularly in Huntsmans' Copse because there's often times Brotherhood of Blood dudes rampaging around.

Seems to work dandy in NG+ at least :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ Yeah Huntsman's sees a lot of BoB invasions, so I would figure it to be the best place to bluecop.

Colapops posted:

Coming from the Tower Apart bonfire, you simply kill the undead warden/jailer (the big mummy guys with the great machetes) and then push on the left side of the barrel. It will almost always go straight into the wall and, if it does not, you can push it yourself near the wall (it doesn't have to be very close really) and then hit it with fire damage.

The trick is making sure to fight the mummy dude a ways back so he doesn't end up smashing the barrel mid-fight.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Regy Rusty posted:

I think they could've just put some stairs. :v:

E: The one thing I did hate about Tseldora was getting summoned and having the host run down into that pit because once he's down there I'm definitely not fighting the boss on this summon run!

Except the door to the bottom bonfire in Tseldora only opens from the inside. So if you fall down and don't have a homeward bone, you're kinda hosed.

(But really the bonfire is probably just there for quick access to Ornifex, similar to Straid's bonfire)

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
So I just picked up the claymore last night, spent this evening grinding up titanite to upgrade it to +10 and then took it for a spin in The Gutter and Black Gulch.I really liked the claymore in DS1, and it's really good in DS2 as well! That strong attack stab is just so great!

I have to say, I felt that the Gulch boss was a good one to have switched from my mighty mace to the claymore for. I was really enjoing the extra reach on the claymore's attacks during the fight. And I've been feeling kind of cheap using the mace since I know it's amazing, so I'm glad I've found a weapon I feel I can use instead.

Then again, I'm running a no-casting build, so I guess I shouldn't worry all that much about being cheap..

Claymore supremacy!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Although I figured out the Bastille barrel explosion myself, I didn't even realize until later that the wall near the Cardinal Tower Bonfire had to be blown up. I guess the firebomb hollow took care of it for me and I didn't notice. I was really confused later when being summoned and that wall was closed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Would using an ascetic in Majula reset Chloanne's inventory? I need 30 twinkling titanite to upgrade both the BKGS and Santier's Spear fully and that's going to be tedious as hell.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I don't think so. You get 10 twinkling per ascetic out of the dragon aerie though.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Also the mage assholes from Tseldora have an amazingly irritating tracking in their spells, that poo poo makes multiple 90º turns like it ain't no thing.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

y_3 posted:

I got tired of spamming emit force in bellbro pvp so I decided to upgrade a broadsword to +10 (love the moveset) and infused it with dark. Suddenly I'm 2-3 shotting people and I'm wondering if it's the +10 upgrade, the infusion, or both. Or if it's just that and people not adding points to vigor.

I have 15 str, and I think 28 int/fth. Sometimes I'll have a chance to use Dark Weapon which is huge but I don't need it. Is the infusion scaling that well with my int and faith or would I be doing similar damage without the infusion? I'd test it without the infusion but that was my only darknight stone. Only 800k SM if that's a big deal.

If you use Y/Triangle to button through the stat screens before you try to infuse something you can see your attack rating adjust on the fly as you highlight the infusions. You can see what your old AR was if you do that and try to remove the infusion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So I was wrong, the RRA doesn't attack based on time, it's how close to the rats you get. He attacked me in two seconds. Then his paw hit and killed me from two giant rat rear end in a top hat lengths away. From really hosed up in the hitbox department this game.

e: Oh, good, the rats can't be hit by half of the BKGS's attacks. This is great.

Beat him but he puked and broke everything. :smith:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 20, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^^ Yeah Huntsman's sees a lot of BoB invasions, so I would figure it to be the best place to bluecop.

The trick is making sure to fight the mummy dude a ways back so he doesn't end up smashing the barrel mid-fight.

It's not much of a 'trick' but simply stabbing the jailer near the barrel and taking a step back will make him turn around and run towards you to attack, meaning not even his broad sweeps will hit the barrel.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RBA Starblade posted:

So I was wrong, the RRA doesn't attack based on time, it's how close to the rats you get. He attacked me in two seconds. Then his paw hit and killed me from two giant rat rear end in a top hat lengths away. From really hosed up in the hitbox department this game.

e: Oh, GOOD, the rats can't be hit by half of the BKGS's attacks. This is great.

I used the BKGS on that fight and didn't have many problems. I think I used 1h R1 for the little rats and then switched to 2h once they were dead. I shielded vs RRA's charge and biting lunge attacks because I am poo poo at dodging them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tarezax posted:

I used the BKGS on that fight and didn't have many problems. I think I used 1h R1 for the little rats and then switched to 2h once they were dead. I shielded vs RRA's charge and biting lunge attacks because I am poo poo at dodging them.

It went fine once I could get under him, but the swipe can't do anything it turns out unless the rats are in attacking distance, so you're going to get toxic'd probably. At least not one-handed.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

E: nevermind, beaten.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 20, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I tend to have the best luck with the barrel by sprinting at is just left of center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you can just beat the Belfry Gargoyles for the Key. :unsmigghh: