Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You could try using it's XMP settings, but a quick google search tells me that it'd use 1.7V at those settings(1600 C9). You could try loosening some of the timings and see if it'll stabilize at 1.5V, if you're so inclined.

Also at the risk of getting yelled at, I'd argue that while upgrading your RAM from 1333 is definitely is something you should look into doing eventually, it's hardly a critical flaw in your machine, especially since you have a dGPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I kinda tried that since I now have a fancy UEFI BIOS where I can move a slider for "more faster". It changed the timings to 9-11-11 something and I believe it goes up to 1.5V. The computer is indeed a little faster - I was kind of surprised since any AMD CPU I'd ever overclocked made little to no difference.

Skyrim haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaates it. :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Hace posted:

Also at the risk of getting yelled at, I'd argue that while upgrading your RAM from 1333 is definitely is something you should look into doing eventually, it's hardly a critical flaw in your machine, especially since you have a dGPU.
It's not a huge deal, it's perfectly reasonable to feel that you don't think the performance difference is worth it, particularly if you don't use a lot of applications that are memory bandwidth-sensitive. For example, the game Thief scales very strongly with memory bandwidth, such that its severely bottlenecked and barely playable on DDR2 systems.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Huh. Is that why Fry Cry 3 runs an asston better on the 4670k than my Phenom II with the same GPU? Better framerates at higher detail I mean.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

Huh. Is that why Fry Cry 3 runs an asston better on the 4670k than my Phenom II with the same GPU? Better framerates at higher detail I mean.
I think that's more likely to just be a CPU performance bottleneck. Here's a Thief benchmark in German, but the graph is clear. A Core 2 QX9650 isn't that much slower than the Core i5 2500K, yet the memory bandwidth is around half as much, and the performance comes in around 40%. This jives with my system, an overclocked C2Q9550@3.6Ghz, which ran like rear end due to the dual-channel DDR2.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Huh.

Did you all know that mismatching your RAM sticks - which are identical in terms of manufacturer, model, speed, and latency and differ ONLY by production run can cause BSODs and lockups? I sure didn't until a few days ago. I don't remember what prompted me to check but this computer had been a little flaky (especially under load) and it was REALLY bitchy if I dared overclock it. Now that I have paired them by production run everything is just peachy. Even with a mild overclock.

Of course it doesn't help that Gigabyte went to great lengths to obfuscate how to pair RAM sticks on the board... :argh:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Unfortunately any sticks can fail to work together if they haven't been specifically sold in a matched pair for dual-channel applications. That doesn't mean they won't work if not sold in a matched set, but you can't depend on it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, again I don't remember what prompted me to check on it but run to run variations are a thing for sure. I wouldn't have thought the effect would be so dramatic but on the other hand at high speeds even the latency based on trace length on a PCB make a difference. I'm just stoked that the board wasn't bad. The last time I had a problem like this it was a Socket A Soyo that ran shittily for a couple of years before just up and dying. :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Gigabyte boards are pretty notoriously crappy, though usually you notice that with power delivery quality issues. For example, high voltage spikes to the CPU causing hangs or reboots, and needing a supplemental power connector for the PCIe slots because they cut down on power traces to save money. You can usually work around those issues by disabling LoadLine Calibration and potentially some power saving modes in the BIOS, and plugging in the supplemental power connectors that the motherboard manual says are optional (not actually optional).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Haven't had too many issues with the two Gigabytes I've had so far but my last one was definitely happier when I finally got a PSU with a proper 8 pin EPS connector. :v: Worse case I can always replace the board.

No, the issue I have with the RAM slots is that the design is completely the opposite of how I would think of it. Maybe I'm the deviant here but when I see two (non-adjacent) blue slots and two black slots I think that you pair by color. Not so with Gigabyte, although the manual doesn't really illuminate that very well. It says you have to pair slots 3_1 and 3_3, and 3_2 with 3_4. Again this tells me that the pairs are non-adjacent but if you look at the diagram you will see slots 3_1 and 3_3 are adjacent, as are 3_2 and 3_4. So basically it's backwards from how my brain works but maybe I'm in the minority.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Huh.

Did you all know that mismatching your RAM sticks - which are identical in terms of manufacturer, model, speed, and latency and differ ONLY by production run can cause BSODs and lockups? I sure didn't until a few days ago. I don't remember what prompted me to check but this computer had been a little flaky (especially under load) and it was REALLY bitchy if I dared overclock it. Now that I have paired them by production run everything is just peachy. Even with a mild overclock.

Of course it doesn't help that Gigabyte went to great lengths to obfuscate how to pair RAM sticks on the board... :argh:

DRAM is one of the most finicky things from a hardware point of view; we're lucky it works as well as it does in consumer hardware, honestly. Both Intel and AMD have patents galore on techniques to improve DDR training, performance and general stability.

And all their work can be undone if the board design isn't done correctly; the mobo vendors certainly don't have time to test every stick ever, so you can end up with the perfect corner case of a motherboard on the edge of its specification with a DRAM stick at the edge of its tolerances that manifest every now and then as instability for the end user.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

DRAM is one of the most finicky things from a hardware point of view; we're lucky it works as well as it does in consumer hardware, honestly. Both Intel and AMD have patents galore on techniques to improve DDR training, performance and general stability.

And all their work can be undone if the board design isn't done correctly; the mobo vendors certainly don't have time to test every stick ever, so you can end up with the perfect corner case of a motherboard on the edge of its specification with a DRAM stick at the edge of its tolerances that manifest every now and then as instability for the end user.

And then add in the "must make common overclocker benchmarks 0.1% faster" factor and it's a miracle some of these board vendors ever ship a BIOS with truly stable DRAM defaults.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Well I had hoped to see if Wolfenstein could actually make use of it's recommended i7 and 8 threads. But even if it did, it looks like it's plagued by by a bunch of other weird poo poo, the strangest of which is using OpenGL from 2009.

Well onto Watch Dogs for that info I guess

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Pricing for Intel's Devil's Canyon CPUs has leaked:: The Core Core i5 4690K is $254.01, the Core i7 4790K is $362.96. These CPUs are slated for launch June 2nd.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

quote:

The sources also state that all three processors should be valid on both the 8-series and 9-series motherboards

Ooo

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Anandtech posted:

...new packaging and higher quality TIM...

But the quality of the TIM wasn't the problem. Was this copied from an Intel press release?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Alereon posted:

Core i5 4690K is $254.01,

...only months after I finally pulled the trigger on a Haswell i5-4670k and it's like $10 more. Every. loving. time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

But the quality of the TIM wasn't the problem. Was this copied from an Intel press release?
The "new packaging" is the glue that holds the heat spreader on, that fixes the actual issue, the improved TIM provides further gains.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

It was indeed their wording, but it's likely just because that was the issue that "stuck". The thermal paste used matters though so it's not like there isn't improvement to be had. I've read that the stock paste is perfectly fine at worst though but I can't remember where.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_devil%E2%80%99s_canyon_delayed_to_late_september_2014.html

Rumors that the launch is "paper" only and the processors won't be available for a while. I don't see anyone else reporting this though, and they have basically no sources.

beejay fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 24, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So how big of a deal is Devil's Canyon compared to Haswell? I'm pretty happy with my current X58 setup but I would love faster boot times and USB 3.0.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

fookolt posted:

So how big of a deal is Devil's Canyon compared to Haswell? I'm pretty happy with my current X58 setup but I would love faster boot times and USB 3.0.
As far as we know it's basically Haswell that has all the thermal advantages of delidding, improving overclocking by running cooler. If you can overclock your CPU I'd hold off for Broadwell around January.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

As far as we know it's basically Haswell that has all the thermal advantages of delidding, improving overclocking by running cooler. If you can overclock your CPU I'd hold off for Broadwell around January.

At least we'll know about the thermal performance right away as someone will definitely compare the factory setup with a proper delid on day zero.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Alereon posted:

Broadwell is on the same socket as Haswell and Devil's Canyon yeah? And where the hell is Haswell-E? :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Broadwell is guaranteed to be at least "unofficially supported" by Z97, similar to the situation with Devils Canyon/Refresh and Z87. I'm guessing this means we will see a Z107 or similar as the launch platform for Broadwell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

At least we'll know about the thermal performance right away as someone will definitely compare the factory setup with a proper delid on day zero.

Unless they did it right and soldered like Sandy Bridge, in which case we'll be looking at comparing the factory setup and a softly weeping person

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alereon posted:

Pricing for Intel's Devil's Canyon CPUs has leaked:: The Core Core i5 4690K is $254.01, the Core i7 4790K is $362.96. These CPUs are slated for launch June 2nd.

Same date as the WWDC keynote... unlikely to be a coincidence.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it's also the first Monday/weekday of the month.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

Unless they did it right and soldered like Sandy Bridge, in which case we'll be looking at comparing the factory setup and a softly weeping person

Small price to pay for knowledge sought by lots of people. Plus said person/company might be baller enough to not give a poo poo.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Shaocaholica posted:

Small price to pay for knowledge sought by lots of people. Plus said person/company might be baller enough to not give a poo poo.

I recall Hermitage Akihabara did some sort of article/demo back when people discovered something was amiss in Ivy. Those guys were okay.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

fookolt posted:

I know it's been answered basically, but most of the buzz around Devil's Canyon is overclocking. A factory boost of 4.4 ghz was surprising (for the 4790k). There were some Haswell's that started to be unstable at that speed at any voltage. Considering the TDP has only increased by 4 watts this could imply some positive things for overclocking other than a simple thermal fix. But that's not a good enough reason not to wait for broadwell if you're willing to wait I think

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

pmchem posted:

Same date as the WWDC keynote... unlikely to be a coincidence.

It's also a day before Computex 2014 kicks off. Not everything revolves around Apple.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Ignoarints posted:

I know it's been answered basically, but most of the buzz around Devil's Canyon is overclocking. A factory boost of 4.4 ghz was surprising (for the 4790k). There were some Haswell's that started to be unstable at that speed at any voltage. Considering the TDP has only increased by 4 watts this could imply some positive things for overclocking other than a simple thermal fix. But that's not a good enough reason not to wait for broadwell if you're willing to wait I think

Well, my needs aren't that intense. Audio production, some basic video editing, and gaming is really all I do with my computer. I think I'll just move from X58 to Haswell now and then see what next year holds :) It's kind of amazing to me that it's been running stable this long anyway.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sincx posted:

I think it's sad that the days of getting significant processing gains from upgrading every 2-3 years is over.

It seems that my 2600k (main computer) and 2500k (media center) won't be replaced for quite a while.

I hear you. Even upgrading a GPU is almost questionable at this stage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have a non-K 2600 and am holding out for Skylake. A new GPU will probably be required meanwhile, tho, for the Oculus Rift.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

sincx posted:

I think it's sad that the days of getting significant processing gains from upgrading every 2-3 years is over.

It seems that my 2600k (main computer) and 2500k (media center) won't be replaced for quite a while.

Actual clock speed gains like that are no longer the norm. However clock per clock performance increases have been steady. The issue is the CPU isn't a bottleneck for most games at the moment so it might not seem like anything is happening, at least for comparable Intels made for the last few years.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

sincx posted:

:psyduck: What kind of mental gymnastics does it take to consider this anything but a positive? Have you ever, even once in the past decade, been limited in any capacity whatsoever by CPU speed?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

wheez the roux posted:

:psyduck: What kind of mental gymnastics does it take to consider this anything but a positive? Have you ever, even once in the past decade, been limited in any capacity whatsoever by CPU speed?

Yes! My i7 920 struggles slightly at Battlefield 3 & 4 physics.

But not enough that I've felt pressured into upgrading yet... I think part of me is waiting for another jump like my Athlon X2 to Conroe then again to Nehalem.

Now even with money spare to waste I don't feel the need yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021