Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just put them in a different squad.
I guess I should've made it clearer but that's what I'm saying.

Even in a different squad they'll match pace with the other troops in line formation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm going to be running LA Pythium as a disciple in a game coming up soon and I already have a couple gimmick plans in mind such as using a Serpent King to let me crank out lamias and lamia queens. Otherwise, what are some good general gameplans for them? Can Hydra Hatchlings and Serpent Cataphracts make for good sacreds if the pretender has F9E4? I'm also considering taking some astral on my disciple to help take advantage of the minor pearl income. I know that what I'm doing probably isn't optimal, but if nothing else I figured that enough conjurations and enchantment for skeleton hordes and shitloads of nature summons could help my team out.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tooterfish posted:

I guess I should've made it clearer but that's what I'm saying.

Even in a different squad they'll match pace with the other troops in line formation.

oh ok. Yeah line slows everything down. You generally want those cav scripted to (hold) attack rear, otherwise yeah they trot along slowly.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I'm going to be running LA Pythium as a disciple in a game coming up soon and I already have a couple gimmick plans in mind such as using a Serpent King to let me crank out lamias and lamia queens. Otherwise, what are some good general gameplans for them? Can Hydra Hatchlings and Serpent Cataphracts make for good sacreds if the pretender has F9E4? I'm also considering taking some astral on my disciple to help take advantage of the minor pearl income. I know that what I'm doing probably isn't optimal, but if nothing else I figured that enough conjurations and enchantment for skeleton hordes and shitloads of nature summons could help my team out.

Hydras are a newbie trap and generally not worth the gold. I like going full cult of the solar bull. Spam the poo poo out of your 1f1?fn dudes and foreign fr infanty. Can also use indie archers with them plus flaming arrows. Pretty reliant on having magic though as your foreign mages are poo poo researchers without it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hydras are a newbie trap and generally not worth the gold. I like going full cult of the solar bull. Spam the poo poo out of your 1f1?fn dudes and foreign fr infanty. Can also use indie archers with them plus flaming arrows. Pretty reliant on having magic though as your foreign mages are poo poo researchers without it.

Yeah, I've heard that about the hydras before. I only mentioned them because the hatchlings were the only things other than the cataphracts that could be reasonably massed up, sacred-wise. And I'm going to be investing pretty heavily in both Conjurations and Enchantment, so getting an F2 Heliodromus to Phoenix Power up will easily get me Flaming Arrows and Falling Fires along with some other assorted crap once I get Evocations up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They're also poo poo researchers with it, because the ones that are any good in terms of magic levels are also Heretic (2) at the very least, so you'll have problems getting it to stick (also means you can't recruit many Limitane Solaris with foreign mages around, because Production will get wiped out).

Renata or Renatus are your real research platforms with Magic.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Posting in this thread to sign up to the new version of goon game service, since I haven't played this since Dom 3.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
How many scouts do people get? I realize knowledge is power, but the cost of heavy scouting quickly adds up. I usually find myself draining all available resources, and in the rush for indies/to get more troops than your enemy, getting troops usually beats scouts in my book.

Provided I even get lucky enough to find indie recruitable scouts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Try to saturate your direct neighbors, and use notepad to keep track of important things you see happening further afield so you don't need to leave scouts sitting in the same prov all the time.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

The Gentleman posted:

How many scouts do people get? I realize knowledge is power, but the cost of heavy scouting quickly adds up. I usually find myself draining all available resources, and in the rush for indies/to get more troops than your enemy, getting troops usually beats scouts in my book.

Provided I even get lucky enough to find indie recruitable scouts.

I generally have a scout train going until i can see all the forts of every player unless im really starved for gold and then any excess i have become gem/slave/item couriers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I've subbed for a fair number of people. The quality of player I'm subbing for is usually directly proportional to the number of scouts they've fielded. Personally I usually go for full coverage of direct neighbors and a handful hovering on the borders of players farther away, so I know who's at war with who. I've seen all sorts of positions with literally 100% scout coverage and never really regretted it. That said, you don't need to go nuts with scouting until you're well into the midgame. I think you want to start making them en masse right about when you're reaping the gold bounty for winning your first war and are in the cleanup phase of conquering that enemy. Before that, you should make enough, but not focus on them. If you, for example, only have one scout province you'll probably want it producing every turn regardless of gold. If you have lots, you can afford to think about when you want them.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
In my mind there are two options.

1. Scout everything you possibly can by the midgame and maintain that from there on out
2. Be a blood sac nation and sac aggressively from early turns

To me that's really the only options that make any sense whatsoever unless im running a garbage gimmick strat.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I generally try and ensure I have full scout coverage of direct neighbours so I can see their forces moving around, then I have a few extra scouts (preferably flying) who just wander around the rest of the map looking for interesting things like fights over thrones, sieges or large armies.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Do people just use indie scouts or is it worth using better ones that will be harder to detect if you can get them?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I almost always use indie scouts unless I'm like Pan with Harpies in forests.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Indie scouts unless you are gaining something big from using something else

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I definitely agree with TheDemon, though it can be easy for me to lose my way when it comes to scouting; I can't how many times I've justified to myself every sinlge turn "oh, I don't need a scout this turn, I'll just build more units!" and suddenly it's turn 40 and I know nothing about what's going outside my borders and oh god suprise attack I'm dead blarg.

In short, a scout is worth more than a handful of troops most of the time.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

They're also poo poo researchers with it, because the ones that are any good in terms of magic levels are also Heretic (2) at the very. least, so you'll have problems getting it to stick (also means you can't recruit many Limitane Solaris with foreign mages around, because Production will get wiped out).

Renata or Renatus are your real research platforms with Magic.

They arent completeley useless with m3. The fort ones are better yeah but you need tons of forts to mass them. Very expensive slow forts. You can start making GBS threads your foreign dudes out in serious quantities very early without forts. I had no issues keeping m3 for them either. Your candles will touch enough to spread your scales and it doesnt matter if heresy zeroes it out after that. Order prod magic with an awake dom9 dragon is quite affordable if you sink points with heat. Which you should cause your dudes are immune and fire magic is significantly better in it. You can usually have 3 labs going with them plus a fort started on an indie ranged prov by y2. The heresy can be annoying but you can adjust their location towards your borders where they act as dom walls.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It seems kind of a wonky way to play an already underpowered nation.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

It seems kind of a wonky way to play an already underpowered nation.

It is extremely wonky. It does work though and I can usually manage 17ish provs by Y1. Only tried it twice and one of those was a victory in a blitz :v:

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

TheDemon posted:

ghost riders, mind hunt, vengeance, are all useful. if you spam a troop remote attack, you can sometimes trigger enemy gemuse, which will mean they won't have enough for a normal phase battle. countered by conservative gem usage checkbox and double/triple gems.

call of the winds / call of the wild are usually used vs 1 PD. disruptive, but expensive.

fires from afar is usually good at taking down research centers. low hp mages, multiple castings, low or no numbers of enemy troops. flames from the sky / murdering winter can annihilate a human sized army and really fucks with human communions, doubly so in combo with a second casting or an attack. in the very-lategame in dom3 it was sometimes sensible to equip fire res rings to critical human-sized mages.

I forget the names but the cold and heat spells can be used to mess with rivers and mountain passes in dom4. Useful, just keep in mind it won't block moves already ordered.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am playing Bogarus in a game and scored lore masters. So I have access to all the magic but I did not know if I should try using the remote attacks because there are so many good uses for all my gems.

I Love You! posted:

In my mind there are two options.

1. Scout everything you possibly can by the midgame and maintain that from there on out
2. Be a blood sac nation and sac aggressively from early turns

To me that's really the only options that make any sense whatsoever unless im running a garbage gimmick strat.

This is very true.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Did they ever make tupilaks useful?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

folytopo posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. I am playing Bogarus in a game and scored lore masters. So I have access to all the magic but I did not know if I should try using the remote attacks because there are so many good uses for all my gems.

Well you don't want to remote attack a province (spending your gems) if the enemy can effortless walk back over it next turn and you caused him to lose 27 pounds of gold in taxes. You could use them to flip provinces cutting off any path of retreat for an army you are about to slam into though, which will kill those pesky enemy mages which would normally wake up from unconsciousness and saunter off the field to fight another day.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

The Sharmat posted:

Did they ever make tupilaks useful?

What's wrong with tupilaks? They're very heavy hitting flying undead.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I found Tupilaks to be very good mage killers as long as they werent death mages and unguarded. Any sort of resistance though and they melted quite fast even with the big health pool.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

For the cost I think they are a pretty insane remote attack. Is killing a Commander, Scout, or 115 gold recruit anywhere mage worth it? No, but that is a risk you take with all of them to try to kill something that is valuable.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

LordLeckie posted:

I found Tupilaks to be very good mage killers as long as they werent death mages and unguarded. Any sort of resistance though and they melted quite fast even with the big health pool.

They semi-regularly melted my mages as LA Marignon even after I assigned some guards. :argh:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Decrepus posted:

Is killing a Commander, Scout, or 115 gold recruit anywhere mage worth it? No, but that is a risk you take with all of them to try to kill something that is valuable.

Those are the only things I've had them reliably kill.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

folytopo posted:

Use remotes like a scalpel. Surgical strikes with specific goals. Raiding thugs or small armies on the strat-map and evocation battlemagic in the tactical screen are your broad-effect shotgun-solutions. Remotes, SCs, teleporters, battlefield enchants are your precision strikes. That doesn't mean you don't spam, it's just a matter of target selection.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, masses of priest smiths swatting everything with Iron Blizzard is hilarious. Less hilarious is of course accidentally shredding your ally's army with them. :shepface:

(If you read this I'm sorry Saith.)

On the other hand, I've finally gotten an army together that wins battles, instead of just getting stomped all the time. And fast enough it scared my enemy into going AI after one battle. (OK my ally helped a lot, too.)

By the way, I forgot, since I'm one of those annoying fucks trying to fight 'till the bitter end, can you come back after you set yourself AI? Because holy poo poo, Ferrosol. After that debacle last turn in Basically, you actually would have had a good shot at winning the war again.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Going AI is permanent.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Well poo poo. I lost my first fort construction to Ivy Men attack two turns ago. But I started building another one and it's trucking on so I should be fine, how unlucky could I ge-

:psyduck:

:psyduck:

:psyboom:

:smithicide:

The Gentleman fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 21, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

RIP

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeap, the Throne of Gaia is pretttty bullshit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Proof that Kitfox had the right idea all along, and yet more proof that you should never play Caelum.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

How are u posted:

Yeap, the Throne of Gaia is pretttty bullshit.

in literally we have the throne of gaia events and also the heliophagi demon gate bullshit events going at the same time, so ivy kings are attacking and also various demons lead by empowered kitted blood 8 summons

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

jsoh posted:

in literally we have the throne of gaia events and also the heliophagi demon gate bullshit events going at the same time, so ivy kings are attacking and also various demons lead by empowered kitted blood 8 summons

Dominions :allears:

e: if it were an easier / simpler game you wouldn't be playing it!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Arg, there's a reason why I told you assholes to cast stellar cascades, and not, say, blade wind, into that crowd of jaguars.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Am I the only person that likes the fact that Dominions is not and never will be balanced? It's kind of nice to be able to give veteran players harder nations, and newer players easier nations. Except MA Ermor. gently caress MA Ermor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

So this is why I have to put down Ivy Kings and other dumb poo poo almost every drat turn now. I was already getting paranoid about my neighbours sending ritual spells my way.

On the other hand, I've already collected two dryads to my side thanks to those events, so it's not totally bad. :v:

• Locked thread