Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Blue Screen Error posted:

Reminder, for about the 5th time, that there are more 30k+ capacity football stadiums sitting unused in Coventry than there are in the entire USA.

How many 60k+ stadiums are there?

Think with $$$ not your brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Babby Thatcher posted:

lol that all these hundreds of demands for every world cup to be held in america, with its monopoly on 'big stadiums', stem from all USMNT fans' dads still taking them to Disneyworld in 1994

Babby Thatcher posted:

cool lets have another WC in lovely soulless enormodomes that have never held a football match before and are over 9000 miles away from each other, I'm sure the USA won't be the worst world cup hosts in history a second time

Blue Screen Error posted:

Reminder, for about the 5th time, that there are more 30k+ capacity football stadiums sitting unused in Coventry than there are in the entire USA.

Babby Thatcher posted:

imagine if England held a World Cup and put half the games in loving Twickenham.

That's you, that is

Right thread

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
On the USMNT's best bet of stopping Ronaldo in the group stage

quote:

I think you take the fastest/best corner in football today, and get him into the squad, and tell him: he can jam a little and that there's no line of scrimmage. That should do the trick.

Yup, take Richard Sherman (or a healthy Darrelle Revis) and tell him to play tight coverage on CR. I am willing to bet that CR will be frustrated out of his mind. On a related note, our very own Klinsman had brought over American football trainers to get the German national team into shape when he was in charge of that team, driven largely by his appreciation of the intensity of football workout regimens.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

chuggo is BACK posted:

ban americans from football

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

trem_two posted:

hahahahahahaah

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trem_two posted:

jesus christ what is wrong with these people

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

trem_two posted:

holy poo poo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I know this is the wrong thread to argue this (and probably the right thread for this post as a result) but you do know that none of those college stadia would be able to get even 3-star FIFA certification, don't you?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Agreed, North Korea World Cup 2026

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The Irish Mens National Team would feel right at home in Beaver stadium, especially the showers

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

trem_two posted:

There's going to be a billion of these kinds of things leading up to the world cup. For some reason a lot of people seem to eat them up and stupid-rear end articles about world-cup soccer are an ESPN specialty.

Bill Simmons posted:

I like watching anything that lets you say, "Hey, these guys are the absolute best of the best." That's why pro soccer will never catch on here: Nobody wants to watch a bunch of second-rate guys playing a sport that isn't that interesting in the first place. Fundamentally, it can't work. You have a better chance of uncovering a Star Jones-Al Reynolds sex tape.

This is a guy who wrote an entire book about how much his favorite baseball team means to the world and the American Dream or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Makes sense. Americans are definitely second-rate at sports. That's why they only play amongst themselves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

troofs posted:

There's going to be a billion of these kinds of things leading up to the world cup. For some reason a lot of people seem to eat them up and stupid-rear end articles about world-cup soccer are an ESPN specialty.

This is a guy who wrote an entire book about how much his favorite baseball team means to the world and the American Dream or something.

Bill Simmons is a terrible writer but in his defense, I think he is talking about MLS here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Americans don't care about football because they're poo poo at it, and Americans are poo poo at football because they don't care about it. It's a wonderful cycle.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

vyelkin posted:

Americans don't care about football because they're poo poo at it, and Americans are poo poo at football because they don't care about it. It's a wonderful cycle.

lol remember the extremely busy Women's World Cup thread filled with enthusiastic posters and then the US got knocked out by Japan and there were about 5 posts for the rest of the cup?

good times, great memories

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Babby Thatcher posted:

lol remember the extremely busy Women's World Cup thread filled with enthusiastic posters and then the US got knocked out by Japan and there were about 5 posts for the rest of the cup?

I too remember when the US got knocked out by Japan in the final and wonder why there weren't more posts for the rest of the following games.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Bobby Digital posted:

I too remember when the US got knocked out by Japan in the final and wonder why there weren't more posts for the rest of the following games.

lmao whoops, must have been some other tournament against some other team then

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Babby Thatcher posted:

right thread

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The refs and FIFA will never allow a country like the US where soccer is not the #1 sport advance far in the World Cup. Since 2002, they have contended with horrible officiating against them in most games: They have to work extra hard to overcome this. 2002: S. Korea (undeserved free kick) , Poland (disallowed goal to tie), Germany (intentional handball on the goal line late in game not called) , 2006: Italy (two players ejected..at least one wrongfully; disallowed goal for obstructing the goalie), Ghana (phantom PK). 2010: Slovenia, Algeria. It's not the US, but FIFA will ever allowed anyone but a traditional power achieve the final and at least one of them always gets some help along the way. there's really almost no point watching because it's the same every time. It's only interesting watching the first round.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Same guy

Last time the group wasn't so tough, but they ad to work very hard to overcome Slovenia, Algeria and the refs in both games. I think on paper Germany and Portugal are favorites. US hasn't yet learned how to dive (except for one player) because soccer isn't in the US tradition and psyche. That's what helps some of the powers to gain that extra edge. US has another thing going for them lately. They don't fear the traditional powers. Well, FIFA's method of draw was ridiculous as usual, but I agree US would've stood more of a realistic chance in about half or more of the groups.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

quote:

I agree with the guys in blazers on this one. Sure, on paper, we are the "Weakest team", but as we all know 1-We don't play on paper, but grass, 2-the group of Death is the Group of Death because WE are in it, and let's be honest, nobody really wants to play the USA either, and 3-there are always two big teams that crash out of the group stage, except in 2002, when there was three, so the point is, the best TEAMS advance in the world cup. Having world-class players is not going to save you from the flames when you have no team chemistry.

But I would counter point 1-The "Paper" issue. The US looks deceptively weak on paper, but I think this is genuinely a consequence of MLS not being taken seriously and player movement. For example, take the US 30-man roster compared to the other two rosters. Now, change Clint Dempsey's club to Tottenham Hotspur (Yes, a typical Spurs mistake to lose him), change Bradley's club to Roma (Another big mistake from a club), change Donovan's club to Everton (The only reason why Everton never bought Landon was the fact that he was too expensive), and consider altidore a top scorer in the Eredivisie (We all knew Sunderland was a bad deal). Jermaine Jones is no longer with Schalke, but my point stands---The US players didn't exactly drop out of form (We shall see about Altidore)--especially Dempsey and Bradley, who are certainly playing at the level they were when they were in Europe. Both Dempsey and Bradley would have easily made the 30 for Portugal and Ghana, respectively.

Simply changing club names, while keeping international stats intact, reveals an ugly truth, it's Ghana, not the US, who are the weakest team on paper. Portugal, furthermore, aside from CR7, are suprisingly not much better than the US. Ghana have struggled, as Canuck has said, and Portugal have dropped easy points. It should be said that the two times were the US dropped points in the Hex (Honduras and Costa Rica), in both instances the US was expected to lose or at best draw. More often, we took points in unexpected places (Mexico, Jamaica, Panama).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I agree with the guys in blazers on this one.

Trap sprung

I hope :ohdear:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao yeah congrats on taking points from unexpected places like football powerhouses Jamaica and Panama. :thumbsup:

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

oh my god this is awful

1-We don't play on paper, but grass, 2-the group of Death is the Group of Death because WE are in it

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I demand links

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Obviously wrong thread, come on man

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Hmm, they don't seem to mention Germany anywhere in that post...

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

quote:

Now, change Clint Dempsey's club to Tottenham Hotspur (Yes, a typical Spurs mistake to lose him), change Bradley's club to Roma (Another big mistake from a club), change Donovan's club to Everton (The only reason why Everton never bought Landon was the fact that he was too expensive), and consider altidore a top scorer in the Eredivisie (We all knew Sunderland was a bad deal). Jermaine Jones is no longer with Schalke, but my point stands---The US players didn't exactly drop out of form (We shall see about Altidore)--especially Dempsey and Bradley, who are certainly playing at the level they were when they were in Europe. Both Dempsey and Bradley would have easily made the 30 for Portugal and Ghana, respectively.

This part makes me so angry lol

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hegay posted:

Haha wow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hegay posted:

In their defense, Jermain Defoe has similar thinking as to why he wasn't called up for England

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Hegay posted:

The US players didn't exactly drop out of form (We shall see about Altidore)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smith?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

His career was ruined by a wrecking ball

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Reminder that Alan Smith was just released from a league 1 club

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I know it's low hanging fruit picking on American sports writers but jesus christ

quote:

As each World Cup squad starts to announce their final 23-man roster, the question must be asked, “Who is the best and worst squads at the 2014 World Cup?”

After looking around and seeing what information was available, The American Pitch has decided to release our World Cup Squad Rankings, from worst to first. These rankings are a combination of how each country is ranked in FIFA’s official world rankings and how we here at The American Pitch feel each country should be ranked. Take a look and let us know what you think about our rankings for the 32 teams at the 2014 World Cup.

32. Iran

31. Australia

30. Algeria

29. Cameroon

28. South Korea

27. Honduras

26. Nigeria

25. Japan

24. Costa Rica

23. Ghana

22. Bosnia and Herzegovina

21. Ecuador