Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I'll give Morrison's run a go, thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there anything out there similar to Firefly or have the feel of an old Spaghetti Western but set in a different place? Like Inglorius Bastards was a Western set in Nazi Occupied France?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

East of West is set in an alternate universe where western stuff never went away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything out there similar to Firefly or have the feel of an old Spaghetti Western but set in a different place? Like Inglorius Bastards was a Western set in Nazi Occupied France?

Saga has a bit of that vibe. It takes place during an intergalactic war, not in the aftermath like Firefly, but the war is a backdrop, not the main story. The two main characters are star crossed lovers from either side of the conflict, and the narrator is an older version of their infant child (the first issue is her birth).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 21, 2014

SMP
May 5, 2009

Can anyone recommend a modern Thor reading list? The OP recommends Thor, vol. 3 by JMS and The Mighty Thor by Fraction, but I've also heard things (good? bad? can't remember) about Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery and Kid Loki stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SMP posted:

Can anyone recommend a modern Thor reading list? The OP recommends Thor, vol. 3 by JMS and The Mighty Thor by Fraction, but I've also heard things (good? bad? can't remember) about Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery and Kid Loki stuff.

If you want to read that era, I recommend starting with JMS' Thor. It's mostly self-contained, and although it ends suddenly, it's a really good introduction to the Asgardian characters and their role in the modern Marvel universe. Fraction's Thor is bad and can be skipped. Gillen's Journey Into Mystery is very good at times, but for me it gets too bogged down with crossover stuff, and has a pretty messy reading order that can be confusing for a new reader. If you have Marvel Unlimited, it's worth checking out.

You didn't mention God of Thunder, though, so if you haven't read that, forget everything else and get on it. It barely has anything to do with the runs that came before it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

SMP posted:

I can't speak to any kind of consensus, but I quite liked Journey into Mystery. It's a very smart, very fun book, even though Loki occasionally tries my patience by attempting to co-opt the language he's discovering on the Internet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jump right into Aaron's current series.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Phylodox posted:

Does Rat Queens count as modern? It's set in a fantasy world, but it seems like more of a contemporary fantasy world with, like, cell phones and hipsters and stuff.

Rat Queens strikes me as a bunch of friends playing a fantasy MMO with all the bullshitting and smack talk baked in. It is very entertaining but very far from serious business fantasy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Just dive into the first few trades of THOR GOD OF THUNDER by Jason Aaron. It's one of the best run of comics anywhere. It's got the death of all gods, sharks as weapons, ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD
SLICER OF WORLDS, a room full of mead, and Thor dual-wielding Mjölnirs.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Somehow I forgot to mention that Thor: God of Thunder is like my favorite series ever and that's why I want to dive into more Thor :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Kieron Gillen's run is pretty great and his Kid Loki run is even better. However, his Thor run is mostly clean up from JMS. He left right before Siege and the storyline was not complete, so he came on for what was originally a couple of issues and it just kept on getting extended. JMS's run is decent, but a great older storyline is the Thor's Avengers Dissembled storyline.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Do not read Matt Fraction's Thor.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Quinones is doing a signing at my local shop. Is Canary/Zatanna: Bloodspell worth getting, or is it as bad as it sounds?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I didn't enjoy the start of Aaron's Thor but I just reread Accursed and loved it. So I want to go back and reread the rest in a row, not as a month to month experience.

Also I want to reread the JMS stuff, what's the reading order?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Also I want to reread the JMS stuff, what's the reading order?

Thor Vol.3 1-12, 600-603, Giant Size Thor Finale.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If a fella likes John Ostrander's Spectre run a bunch (read the first trade that DC did a while back collecting 1-12, and if they stop halfway through, I will gouge eyes and stuff) and Deadman, what should he read next?

Also, are there any great Deadman comics? I know he's in Kingdom Come and some other event books....

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If a fella likes John Ostrander's Spectre run a bunch (read the first trade that DC did a while back collecting 1-12, and if they stop halfway through, I will gouge eyes and stuff) and Deadman, what should he read next?

Also, are there any great Deadman comics? I know he's in Kingdom Come and some other event books....

Ostrander's Suicide Squad is pretty great.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Ostrander's Suicide Squad is pretty great.

Yea, too bad they'll never collect the entire thing...

Edit: Well, except for the first volume I guess.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 23, 2014

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I just asked this is in the General Q&A Thread but it occurred to me that my question was really a request for recommendations, so I'll also ask here:

After putting it off for too long I finally got around to reading Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, and while I really dug it overall, one thing that kind of bothered me was this curiously unexamined Orwellian element in how the heroes used telepathy. I felt a little creeped out by how far Charles, Jean, and Emma were willing to go in invading other people's thoughts, altering their personalities, and teaching their students how to do so -- I suppose it makes sense for Emma, who's supposed to be ethically ambiguous to begin with, and maybe it was Morrison's intention that I be creeped out a little, but I was a little surprised that a writer with such strong anti-tyranny, anti-conformist sensibilities would never directly address the fact that Charles Xavier was essentially a one-man NSA.

Which brings me to my question: as someone with only a passing familiarity with X-Men comics, I know there have been stories like "Deadly Genesis" (which is also somewhere on my to-read list) that deal with Charles getting into some shady dealings and messing with the team's memories, but have there been any good stories that really examined the ethics of how much the telepaths within the X-Men interfere with other people's free will?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-men Legacy right after Messiah Complex is all about Xavier putting his life back together and dealing with his sins.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

DC recently re-released his fantastic 4-part Deadshot miniseries as a trade, so that should be easy to find.

Suicide Squad is a stone-cold classic of course. There's the one trade, and cheap back issues are easy to find online. (I made a 3 volume hardcover set out of them!)

He wrote a pretty great Heroes for Hire run in the 90s--again, back issues only.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the DC animated Spectre short with Gary Cole--it's kind of awesome.

He and Tom Mandrake also worked together on a Martian Manhunter series--seems like a natural next stop.

This link may help you as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 23, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

X-men Legacy right after Messiah Complex is all about Xavier putting his life back together and dealing with his sins.

Yeah, I forget the issue number, but there is a really good one where Emma and Scott turn the tables on Charles and try to mess with his head to let him know how it feels. It's maybe a bit of a cynical view of Charles, but goddamn has he done some messed up things over the years.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Hey guys so I've been trying to care about New 52 and so far I enjoy Animal Man and Green Arrow, who are both coincidentally written by Jeff Lemire, so maybe it's just his writing I enjoy. I've heard weird things about Batwoman, which I'm thinking about picking up. Is it worth getting the first volume or does DC kinda gently caress it up?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, they absolutely gently caress it up, but first:

Check out Batwoman: Elegy. It's by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III and directly leads into the New 52 run. It's good and self contained.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1401231462?cache=d71c7c10e3a6f150f6491bdb53becbff&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1400877001&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Then, JH Williams III continues the story with New 52 and it's good, but then gets tired of DC editorial messing with his story lines and decides to leave after wrapping up the last arc. DC instead fires him 2-3 issue before the arc ends and the story isn't resolved. I stopped reading at that point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Oh, they absolutely gently caress it up, but first:

Check out Batwoman: Elegy. It's by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III and directly leads into the New 52 run. It's good and self contained.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1401231462?cache=d71c7c10e3a6f150f6491bdb53becbff&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1400877001&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Then, JH Williams III continues the story with New 52 and it's good, but then gets tired of DC editorial messing with his story lines and decides to leave after wrapping up the last arc. DC instead fires him 2-3 issue before the arc ends and the story isn't resolved. I stopped reading at that point.

It's resolved in the new Annual.
I didn't like his first few issues, and it's not the same, but the new guy is growing on me.

It's definitely worth going through. There are moments that are right up there with Elegy, like the Wonder Woman team-up.

Also, books to help you care: Action Comics 25+ from Gregg Pak and everything by Charles Soule (including She-Hulk over at Marvel.) Those two should craft the entire DC Universe. They're making a really decent thing out of a frickin' Doomsday event, and Red Lanterns got turned into one of the best books. They're nuts.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 23, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's resolved in the new Annual.

Guess I'll check it out...

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

zoux posted:

Nice, I was planning on reading Carey's stuff in tandem with Brubaker's, so it works out nicely that he also covers that ground. Thanks!

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
Can someone point me towards some quality Doop comics? I don't know if I need every last appearance or just the highlights but it seems like there's some serious fun that I've been missing. (I've seen the recent All-New Doop)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barristicide posted:

Can someone point me towards some quality Doop comics? I don't know if I need every last appearance or just the highlights but it seems like there's some serious fun that I've been missing. (I've seen the recent All-New Doop)

Wolverine and The X-Men and X Statix

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Opopanax posted:

Wolverine and The X-Men and X Statix

To expand, there was one issue of WatXM that was just Doop's job at the academy.
It could have easily been the year's best single issue of any comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-Force #116-129, X-Statix #1-26, Wolverine/Doop #1-2 all contained in the X-Statix Omnibus you're about to buy http://www.amazon.com/X-Statix-Omnibus-Peter-Milligan/dp/0785158448/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400992806&sr=8-1&keywords=x-statix

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

To expand, there was one issue of WatXM that was just Doop's job at the academy.
It could have easily been the year's best single issue of any comic.

That was Wolverine and the X-Men #17, drawn by Doop's co-creator Mike Allred, the artist of X-Force and X-Statix (where Doop first appeared; also required reading).

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

....in the X-Statix Omnibus you're about to buy

That's... a really big book.

Having recently discovered how much I like Allred's work, I guess I'll go for it. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
What's the correct reading sequence for all things Hercules, now that I've finished Incredible Hercules (which is what got me interested in him to start with)?. Is this about right?

Fall of an Avenger 1-2
Prince of Power 1-4
Chaos War 1-5
Herc 1-10

Am I missing anything? Has Hercules moved to another book or has he just been discontinued for lack of interest? Trying to find this stuff online while avoiding major spoilers is difficult.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Is there a good recommended reading order for Age of Apocalypse? Got the bundle on sale at comixology but they just toss in all 51 issues and said go with not guidance. Not sure how what's the reading order, also slightly complicated by the fact that there was an original event, then stuff released later which ties into it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cerepol posted:

Is there a good recommended reading order for Age of Apocalypse? Got the bundle on sale at comixology but they just toss in all 51 issues and said go with not guidance. Not sure how what's the reading order, also slightly complicated by the fact that there was an original event, then stuff released later which ties into it.
X-Men Alpha
The 1st issue of each series (Generation Next, Astonishing X-Men, X-Calibre, Gambit and the X-Ternals, Weapon X, Amazing X-Men, Factor X, X-Man)
The 2nd issue of each series
The 3rd issue of each series
The 4th issue of each series
X-Men Omega

(More in-depth info than you could possibly want about the AoA reading order.)

You could also start with the Legion Quest storyline, which kicks AoA off.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 29, 2014

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Being one of those strange folk who enjoyed the movie (or at least the casting), I just finished The Losers. It had ups and downs, but some pretty great moments.

For what to do next, I have a few options. I'd be willing to look at something similar to The Losers, if anyone has any recommendations.

But I'm also feeling sort of like something Sci-Fi. I've been on a Garth Ennis kick lately after reading The Boys, and did the first volume of Preacher. For some reason Comixology doesn't have the second volume at the moment, so that one's on hold. And then somehow I get Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis' names mixed up in my head, and came across Ministry of Space. I'm probably going to do that next, but if anyone else has any sort of old-timey sci-fi ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 30, 2014

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Planetary is also a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Capn Jobe posted:

And then somehow I get Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis' names mixed up in my head, and came across Ministry of Space. I'm probably going to do that next, but if anyone else has any sort of old-timey sci-fi ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Ellis has a bunch of that:
Orbital: A long-presumed missing space shuttle suddenly reappears and crashes back on Earth, but uh, covered with skin. And the entire crew is missing, save one.

Ocean: 100 years from now, Something Mysterious is occurring on Europa!

All of Planetary. ALL OF IT.

Secret Avengers (#16-21): Run the Mission, Don't Get Seen, Save the World. Has one of the best time-travel stories I've ever read.

Global Frequency: There is an organization of 1001 people from across the globe, each an expert in a specialized field. Today may be the day they're called upon to do the impossible. It might even be you!