Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Despite shutting down, there was a brief window of opportunity an hour ago, and according to some screencaps the convention center is already full for Thursday and Saturday

https://twitter.com/sd_comic_con/status/468912724505018369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Twitter says parking is on sale right now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Twitter says parking is on sale right now.

Looks like it's back down but it looks like their solution is to make the cart last 30 minutes rather than 5. I'm sure that'll make things just fine. :rolleyes:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Apparently even people who get in report problems checking out once Ace re-closes the event, so even if you get in and grab spots there's a good chance you'll time out. A few might pull it off overnight, but I'm anticipating similar levels of insanity tomorrow at 8am

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I got convention center for two days (Thurs/Sun were already full), and Hilton Bayfront the other two. My card was charged, but the site told me I was trying to purchase permits with an invalid email, and booted me. Purchased reservations section is empty as well. Hopefully they honor it.

edit: Kept trying each minute (it won't allow you to try more than once a minute) and got through. Woohoo.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 21, 2014

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just got in. Convention center is sold out all days but I got in the Hilton Bayfront for my 3, which is almost as good. And now I can sleep til my normal work time tomorrow!

Edit: Wow, spoke too soon, Hilton sold out all days except Wednesday. Good luck goons!

Edit 2: This is odd, no confirmation e-mail and no pending charge, but I have my barcode, I've printed it, and it's in my purchase history. I'm gonna assume the rest will come later. Oh well, better than being one of those people tweeting that they have over a dozen attempts worth of charges pending on their cards.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 21, 2014

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Between the combined efforts of my carpool buddy and I, we secured Friday at the Hilton and the rest at Horton Plaza. We both got our barcodes printed and saved as documents, but only I got a confirmation email for the Horton Plaza days, he didn't get one for the Hilton day. Hopefully poo poo doesn't go sour for that one day.

This was a pretty crummy experience. I don't recall every having issues like this before. Pretty amazing that they were able to make it worse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
And to think 10 years from now these will be the golden days

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I've been going every year since 2000, and attended a handful of times before then. It's really weird when I think back to what it used to be.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Satorr posted:

I've been going every year since 2000, and attended a handful of times before then. It's really weird when I think back to what it used to be.

My first year was 2008; the first year it sold out online. Even then it didn't sell out until like a couple weeks before the show. Two years later preview night was broken out and it was all downhill from there as people went loving nuts over tickets.

2010 was the first time they did prepay parking. You could go onto the website first the first week or so and there was no problem getting convention center parking (I remember being skeptical the site was even legit myself but still buying parking). Now...well, we have this.

You can only go downhill until they make serious changes and making the convention center larger is not one of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RevKrule posted:

You can only go downhill until they make serious changes and making the convention center larger is not one of them.
At this point, the only hope is to split off the entertainment aspects of it (TV and Movies) and have a smaller comic-based con as a prelude.

How you do that with poo poo like Marvel movies and Dr. Who is beyond me.

In comparison, I've tried WonderCon and the lack of crossover stuff made it seem much more quaint.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

FilthyImp posted:

At this point, the only hope is to split off the entertainment aspects of it (TV and Movies) and have a smaller comic-based con as a prelude.

How you do that with poo poo like Marvel movies and Dr. Who is beyond me.

In comparison, I've tried WonderCon and the lack of crossover stuff made it seem much more quaint.

I went to Wondercon in 2011 or 2012 for part of one day. Basically felt like it was Comic-Con but 10-15 years ago, which was very nice. Felt relaxed and comfortable but still with a lot to see and do.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to attend again

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I've gone to Comic Con since the 80's (When it was in the loving CIVIC CENTER) so you can imagine how drat alien this show is to me now. I remember getting a badge with a photocopied anime girl on it.

If I wasn't an exhibitor there I probably would not attend at this point.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I won't be able to make it this year since I don't have a book coming out in that time and there's little professional reason to go, but if one of you guys could pick this sucker up for me, I'll pay you before the con and send you some artwork:

http://www.marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=17549

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Beanpants posted:

I won't be able to make it this year since I don't have a book coming out in that time and there's little professional reason to go, but if one of you guys could pick this sucker up for me, I'll pay you before the con and send you some artwork:

http://www.marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=17549

Ugh Hasbro. If I manage to get Hasbro tickets sure, but there are no guarantees on that.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Soarer posted:

Ugh Hasbro. If I manage to get Hasbro tickets sure, but there are no guarantees on that.

Thanks! I haven't stood in a SDCC toy line since 2010, which wasn't too terrible. If the hotel rush is anything to go by, I imagine it has gotten much worse since then. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with ticket poo poo since I'm grandfathered in with a pro pass.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Beanpants posted:

Thanks! I haven't stood in a SDCC toy line since 2010, which wasn't too terrible. If the hotel rush is anything to go by, I imagine it has gotten much worse since then. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with ticket poo poo since I'm grandfathered in with a pro pass.

For Hasbro you have to get in line around 6-7am I think, then get a ticket, which has a time slot printed on it. You go to the booth during that time slot and then you can purchase from them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

6-7pm more like

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Jesus, that's ridiculous. Well, anyone that can hook me up will be substantially rewarded!

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Beanpants posted:

Jesus, that's ridiculous. Well, anyone that can hook me up will be substantially rewarded!

Yet we do it anyways :shepicide:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Soarer posted:

Yet we do it anyways :shepicide:

I quit the Hasbro shuffle after the first year I wasn't inside for my ticket after showing up at 7 AM (I was well outside the Sails Pavilion and the line looped numerous times). My ticket was for like 11 AM so I immediately went downstairs to get in the second line. I didn't get to the front of the third line (the actual line at the booth) until like 3 PM. I literally spent 8 hours and burned a full day just to buy toys. That was like 2011.

At this point, if I need a ticket for something at Hasbro, I don't want it at all. In 2012, I got the helicarrier just by showing up at the right time on Saturday. Last year I didn't even stop by at all. It really is to the point it's worth it to me to pay double retail rather than be stuck in those loving lines.

Matty's even worse. God help you if you couldn't preorder something. You go there, they have no loving clue what's going on. Sometimes they require a ticket, sometimes they just require you be in line and getting in line is a nightmare because security has no place to put you.

I stopped doing toys because of all the loving lines. Now I do art....which is hideously more expensive :negative:. Although Mondo and Olly Moss lines are terrible too, but at least they loving move.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

In all honesty ebay does seem to be the way to go if you want one particular thing.

RevKrule posted:

I quit the Hasbro shuffle after the first year I wasn't inside for my ticket after showing up at 7 AM (I was well outside the Sails Pavilion and the line looped numerous times). My ticket was for like 11 AM so I immediately went downstairs to get in the second line. I didn't get to the front of the third line (the actual line at the booth) until like 3 PM. I literally spent 8 hours and burned a full day just to buy toys. That was like 2011.

At this point, if I need a ticket for something at Hasbro, I don't want it at all. In 2012, I got the helicarrier just by showing up at the right time on Saturday. Last year I didn't even stop by at all. It really is to the point it's worth it to me to pay double retail rather than be stuck in those loving lines.

Matty's even worse. God help you if you couldn't preorder something. You go there, they have no loving clue what's going on. Sometimes they require a ticket, sometimes they just require you be in line and getting in line is a nightmare because security has no place to put you.

I stopped doing toys because of all the loving lines. Now I do art....which is hideously more expensive :negative:. Although Mondo and Olly Moss lines are terrible too, but at least they loving move.

I'm curious when you say you showed up at the right time on Saturday you mean later in the day when the doorbuster line was gone and they still had some?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

In all honesty ebay does seem to be the way to go if you want one particular thing.

I'm curious when you say you showed up at the right time on Saturday you mean later in the day when the doorbuster line was gone and they still had some?

It was around like noon or 1. (I remember we were going to lunch and I just happened to walk by and see like zero line). The helicarrier I think sold out for show but it wasn't until Sunday. If you're going for something that will be gone, you'll have to do the shuffle but it's so hard to guess what's gonna be hot at this point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

It was around like noon or 1. (I remember we were going to lunch and I just happened to walk by and see like zero line). The helicarrier I think sold out for show but it wasn't until Sunday. If you're going for something that will be gone, you'll have to do the shuffle but it's so hard to guess what's gonna be hot at this point.

Yeah but again, unless you're a massive sperg or a reseller or both, it's much more worth your time to get it off ebay since that time could be spent doing so many other things (barring getting lucky like you did of course)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah but again, unless you're a massive sperg or a reseller or both, it's much more worth your time to get it off ebay since that time could be spent doing so many other things (barring getting lucky like you did of course)

Absolutely. It took me too many years to figure this out. Hell, you can get most things for sub-ebay prices on Sunday of the show usually, especially if you start negotiating. Just tell yourself you don't really need it and if you see the line short and they still have them, go for it.

There's only 4.5 days available and there's a tonne of poo poo to do. Don't get suckered into wasting a day waiting for a chunk of plastic.

Edit: The other option is to walk the line and ask if someone wants to make $20. You pay $20 more than the price but it's still pretty cheap.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Was gonna say that too. Obviously asking someone to piggyback off their place in line if you don't know them is a bird in the bush situation but you'd be surprised how much people are willing to help for a little extra cash on hand

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Was gonna say that too. Obviously asking someone to piggyback off their place in line if you don't know them is a bird in the bush situation but you'd be surprised how much people are willing to help for a little extra cash on hand

I've done it before and had it done before. You hand them the cash and watch them from the exit. When you get your stuff, you had them the extra $20 and everyone's happy.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD

Alan Smithee posted:

We did it once for a couple of guys. Turns out they were ungrateful assholes. We bought them their stuff and they paid us cash + some extra. On the last day of the convention they had the line wide open with no tickets required for what ever items they had left. We saw them there getting more stuff and went to say hi. They actually had the gall to ask for the extra they gave us back, because they were able to get more of the same stuff that day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Soarer posted:

We did it once for a couple of guys. Turns out they were ungrateful assholes. We bought them their stuff and they paid us cash + some extra. On the last day of the convention they had the line wide open with no tickets required for what ever items they had left. We saw them there getting more stuff and went to say hi. They actually had the gall to ask for the extra they gave us back, because they were able to get more of the same stuff that day.

Wow that is some loving brass and I hope you told them off

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll probably be doing the Hasbro Shuffle this year again depending on what the exclusive Transformer figures are, probably going to drag the girlfriend into that misery too so maybe we'll be able to get double of whatever they offer. If we can organize it, I wouldn't mind picking up stuff for goons so not everyone wastes their whole Preview Night.

edit: More NECA Exclusives, three pack of Pacific Rim figures in all black and fancy packaging:

http://necaonline.com/48121/blog/san-diego-comic-con/sdcc-feature-friday-2-exclusive-end-titles-pacific-rim-action-figure-3-pack/

sigher fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 25, 2014

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So, any info on parties outside of the con yet? I've been looking and haven't really seen anything party-wise for promoting new movies or shows or games or whatever.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
As someone at least tangentially involved in the party planning process for SDCC vendors, they're just locking in venues right now and usually invites go out 2-3 weeks before an event.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

As someone at least tangentially involved in the party planning process for SDCC vendors, they're just locking in venues right now and usually invites go out 2-3 weeks before an event.

What are these parties we speak of, and how do you get invited?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Pretty much any media company that's exhibiting, and many that aren't, are going to have a 'party' of some sort. It might be something like they rent out a bar in the Gaslamp for 4 days and then close it up one night for a few hours for an invite-only "VIP" party. Or just a hotel ballroom for a few hours, or some big club/bar for a few hours. It varies.

Nothing super secret or mysterious, just pick a company that will have a presence and isn't a retailer and they will very likely have a party of varying exclusivity. It also depends on the industry. I'm in video games, so I know most of the video games parties, but couldn't tell you a single thing about a TV or Movie party, or who is having one or when or where. Media companies, like ones that sell advertising often have the biggest/best parties. They only invite their clients/vendors and company friends. It's almost impossible to get into these parties as the public, and if you did even find out about it, how excited would you be to go to the Vox Media Party? With no celebs of any kind.

The secret to getting in to parties is the same as any con, find the people having the party, ask them if it's open to the public, if not, ask them if there's any way to get in, and they might tell you how, or they might not. The people to talk to are usually PR people at the booth, don't go to the top guy though, talk to the "PR Coordinators"

Some SDCC 'parties' are little more than press demos that are really really boring to the general public, but might seem exciting from the outside. Sure you're at "a party" but the place is mostly empty except for press people and maybe some c-list celebs (and then only 1) and then just PR people talking to the press about their new show/game/movie, but no one famous is there, and it's just press waiting in line to talk to a PR guy but there's open bar and hors d'oeuvres. The top-tier press already had their camera-time with the stars of the show / producers / whatever and won't be there, it's more for the 2nd and 3rd tier press who still deserve audiences but not one on ones with Hugh Jackman. That's actually most of the parties.

Some of them are just ragers for anyone who knows anybody who works with the company and it's open bar at some club in the gaslamp and the music's too loud and it's way too crowded, those are usually fun but again, getting in to them can be challenging, it's literally just who you know and if you can convince the doorman to let you and your 7 friends in.

edit: ALSO, oh god do not show up to anything resembling a private-ish party in costume or as a tourist. They will just turn you right around at the door.

Beast of Bourbon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 4, 2014

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Garfunkel and Oates
Friday 7/25
House of Blues
$40
7PM
http://concerts.livenation.com/event/0A004CBDDB087490?dma_id=381
Presale is tomorrow at 10am. Code is LOYALFAN

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I'm in video games, so I know most of the video games parties,

Hey friendo, what are you up to Friday night

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I still have some Dawn of the Con posters and I don't know what to do with them

http://payload71.cargocollective.com/1/1/46220/3723249/deathstronaut.jpg

If you want it for the price of shipping, or hell if you want to meet up they're yours

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Linkin Park at Petco Park
http://www.mtv.com/news/?p=1838956

Alan Smithee posted:

I still have some Dawn of the Con posters and I don't know what to do with them
Puppy house training!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Unironically excited for this. LP puts on a loving awesome show if they are playing more than one song. Plus it gives my non-nerd GF and I a nice date so she can get into the con scene some.

I know a lot of people complain about how big the con gets, but this is a great example of the positive side of that. Free major concert in loving Petco?! Yes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Petco was the site of last year's highlight of the con (for me). Nerd HQ did a screening of Serenity. Hundreds of us all camped out on the grass, enjoying the movie. Fillion and Tudyk were there and MST-d the first few minutes of the movie. It was a lovely night.

• Locked thread