Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Javid posted:

Well, both Jackson & Josephine counties passed their respective GMO ban measures. I'm woefully unclear on the significance; isn't this just a primary and it gets voted on again later? Or what?

Have pols closed in Oregon yet? It seems the statewide primary results aren't available, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gerund posted:

Seattle has a new police commissioner, announced to be Kathleen O'Toole, their first female commissioner. You may remember her from a stint with Boston PD as commissioner during the time in which the riot police murdered a reveler in late '04, where she slapped a few wrists but didn't follow up on any charges. She was also Ireland's top cop for the last 8 years and a Pattern committee member during the post-98 Belfast agreement police reforms.

reporting from The Stranger below:

Personally, I'm happy that we're past the hiring stage and she was my most preferred of the other two, as she had been a former commissioner and was from someplace bigger than bumblefuck Arizona or bumblefuck California. Rumor has it she'll be interested in installing shoulder-cameras and coordinating with the DOJ to get the SPD out from under that little "you're a terrible police force, we are beginning the process to fire everyone involved" thingy.

So she's a tool. :itisapun:

Maybe she'll institute reform, but I'm not holding my breath.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They closed in these two counties at 8.

https://www.co.jackson.or.us/page.asp?navid=4051

http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=771

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So, I guess we get to keep our water supply or something? Never really did figure out what the point of that ballot measure was.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
It looks like Monica Wehby is going to be the Republican senatatorial candidate.

...anyone want to predict Merkley's margin of victory?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Gerund posted:

Rumor has it she'll be interested in installing shoulder-cameras
This is a good idea, as long as they are "always on" and include audio. (And they make it an outright crime with a mandated criminal case everytime they "malfunction" and somehow "lose all footage".)

Gerund posted:

coordinating with the DOJ to get the SPD out from under that little "you're a terrible police force, we are beginning the process to fire everyone involved" thingy.
This should happen to every police force every X number of years.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

This is a good idea, as long as they are "always on" and include audio. (And they make it an outright crime with a mandated criminal case everytime they "malfunction" and somehow "lose all footage".)
It doesn't necessarily need to be a crime, if evidentiary standards shift after the justice system gets used to shouldercams. Like "why is there no proper evidence this alleged horrible thing occured".

With proper city wireless they could all stream back to hq anyway.

police.seattle.twitch.tv

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 21, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FRINGE posted:

I believe I saw an article saying washington requires permission to record audio so it'd actually be illegal for it to include audio.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

You'd have to make it an automatic firing, a crime with a mandatory minimum sentence, and statutorily force the DA's office to prosecute for that crime.

It will never happen.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gerund posted:

Rumor has it she'll be interested in installing shoulder-cameras and coordinating with the DOJ to get the SPD out from under that little "you're a terrible police force, we are beginning the process to fire everyone involved" thingy.

If they're that bad then isn't a bad thing they won't all be fired and blacklisted?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

If they're that bad then isn't a bad thing they won't all be fired and blacklisted?

I don't think the entire department is rotten, there is just a lovely culture and they enable the percentage of lovely cops to remain that way. Hopefully with the Feds looking over their shoulder, things will change.

Thaledan
Jan 14, 2014

Mrit posted:

...Hopefully with the Feds looking over their shoulder, things will change.

Why is this the prevailing thought? Why is it that the Feds are going to fix everything? It seems pretty clear to me right now that the Fed can't do its job properly in many aspects.

You need the state and the local governments to stop being so lovely at what they do, which requires individual involvement in your local politics. However, with the influx of political money this process has become so screwed up the real thing we should all be pushing for is political reform. Both campaign and electoral.

/off tangent

Why can't we just make a third party run the cameras off the wireless of Seattle (Which was suppose to happen a long time ago). Bill the federal government for it, call it homeland security bullshit. Then we need to move on to the other real problems plaguing our fine area.

This stuff is small potatoes to the real reforms needed in the tax system (WA) so we can actually run the state properly without poking the poor people to pay for it. A complete overhaul of the tax system is something that could really help Washington State.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

sullat posted:

So, I guess we get to keep our water supply or something? Never really did figure out what the point of that ballot measure was.

From what I recall: Corporate assholes thought they could leverage the perceived discontent of many Portlanders over water rates to take control over water away from the city itself, and give it to a :airquote:non-partisan:airquote: elected council which, due to the way it was supposed to be structured, would've been very easy for said corporate assholes to influence (like, "this is an unpaid position that people who've ever worked with the city or utilities are expressly forbidden from being a part of" easy).

TBH I was pretty worried after seeing people flip their poo poo over fluoridation and pass the Regressive Tax.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Did anyone else roll their eyes a little at the "yay Oregon!" social media posts after the gay marriage ban was struck down? Oregon didn't do poo poo to fix that, that was a federal judge that made that ruling.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It doesn't matter who did it; Oregon is now a better place for a huge amount of people who live in it. And the state is refusing to appeal the decision, so there's that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm currently engaged in a one-man pub crawl in Ballard (pre-trivia night at Market Arms) and I started wondering, which neighborhood is the most authentically "Seattle"? Like in terms of retaining some of the older culture and not being overrun by software millionaires or chain stores? Would Phinney be another contender?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Rainier. It's too full of minorities for the software millionaires and too poor for strip malls.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I'm currently engaged in a one-man pub crawl in Ballard (pre-trivia night at Market Arms) and I started wondering, which neighborhood is the most authentically "Seattle"? Like in terms of retaining some of the older culture and not being overrun by software millionaires or chain stores? Would Phinney be another contender?

Georgetown?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Literally a boho dumping ground. Go further into South Park or go up into Greenwood.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Thaledan posted:

Why is this the prevailing thought? Why is it that the Feds are going to fix everything?
Theyve cleaned up police forces before. (At least compared to where they started out.)

LA is a famous example. Its still the LAPD, but it is no longer the "kill the niggers and sprinkle the crack" Rampart squad stuff from the 90s.
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jul/18/local/me-consent-decree18

Oakland probably needed a leash on dogs:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22134081/oakland-police-department-avoids-federal-takeover-agrees-unprecedented

The currently watched and civilized (from what I could tell?) Portland PD is trying to escape oversight:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/03/federal_judge_wants_to_maintai.html

Etc ... signs are that it has an effect. Its harder for a local thug to shake the feds than it is for him to lean on the locals Arpaio-style.

Unless its "The South" then murder is their GOD GIVEN RIGHT or whatever.
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/13/doj-and-nopd.html

quote:

“A lot of the … bad old officers are passing it on to the young guys. If they are training the recruits to do wrong things, then they are just repeating a cycle,”

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Did anyone else roll their eyes a little at the "yay Oregon!" social media posts after the gay marriage ban was struck down? Oregon didn't do poo poo to fix that, that was a federal judge that made that ruling.

Well, the AG announced that they weren't going to defend the law from challenges. It was a blight on our state constitution, and now it's gone. We're (well most of us) are drat happy about that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mojo Threepwood posted:

23th and Jackson/Yesler (but Rainier north and south of Columbia City is probably a better answer).

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 22, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

highme posted:

Well, the AG announced that they weren't going to defend the law from challenges. It was a blight on our state constitution, and now it's gone. We're (well most of us) are drat happy about that.

I'm happy it's happened too, and I'm also an Oregonian, I just didn't think there was a lot of state pride to be had about it when it was a referendum that put the gay marriage ban in place and a federal judge that took it down. We shouldn't have banned it in the first place and we should have reversed it quicker.

Like I said, I'm happy it's been reversed, and I'm certainly glad that officials were ready to start issuing licenses right after the decision.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Rainier/columbia city has a pretty chill farmer's market in the summer. Its right across from the Starbucks, I used to work there and hit up the farmer's market after work.

highme
May 25, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

We shouldn't have banned it in the first place and we should have reversed it quicker.

We shouldn't have, but it was a byproduct of Bush courting the evangelical voters during 2004 and surprisingly younger voters being in favor of the ban. It's reversal was going to be on the ballot in November.I don't have any inside knowledge but I'm guessing the leaders of that political movement made calculated decisions against moving it forward before now. It wouldn't have passed in 2006. California banned gay marriage at the polls in 2008. 2010 wasn't a good year to be running progressive anything during the Tealiban's uprising. It probably could have passed in 2012, but I would imagine people were waiting to see what happened up north.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

highme posted:

That is, unless a conservative Republican wins the Attorney General's office in the 2016 election and makes overturning the ban their top, immediate priority.

It could happen!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Still, having it done by the courts isn't the worst thing, since it means that it will be beyond the whim of the voters. Well, more so than doing it by initiative.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
So who thinks the entire E. coli reservoir scare is a false flag operation to get Portland water under corporate control?

:tinfoil:

As wonky as I am, I can't really work myself up over water bureau issues, although I know there are many people who do. Is there anyone who can give a one paragraph description of the politics of Portland's water supply?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

glowing-fish posted:

So who thinks the entire E. coli reservoir scare is a false flag operation to get Portland water under corporate control?

:tinfoil:

That's just what Big Water wants you to think!

glowing-fish posted:

As wonky as I am, I can't really work myself up over water bureau issues, although I know there are many people who do. Is there anyone who can give a one paragraph description of the politics of Portland's water supply?

From what I've read it's mainly people who're grumpy that they have to pay comparatively more money than people in other cities do for water/sewer services, with a dash of actual scandal over the city using some water/sewer funds for non-water, non-sewer purposes over the last couple years.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
As many people in this thread (and elsewhere) have noted, most of the population of Oregon and Washington is centered in the Portland or Seattle metro areas. But I was curious just how concentrated the population was, so I decided to put together a map for Oregon, showing the 50, 75 and 90% population areas, by county.

It might sound confusing, but hopefully the map itself will make things clearer:

So 50% of Oregon's population is in the Portland+Salem metro area, 75% of Oregon's population is in that area, or elsewhere in the Willamette Valley or Bend, and then by adding the coast and the Medford area to it, we get to 90% of Oregon's population.

I will also try to do one of these for Washington.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

highme
May 25, 2001

The primacy rate (the size of the largest city compared to the 2nd largest) for the Pacific Northwest is quite a bit out of alignment with urban geographical norms. Generally the 2nd largest city in a state is half as large as the largest (and the 3rd largest is half of the second largest). Neither Washington or Oregon match this pattern.

And no offense to your cartographic skills, but a map of the congressional districts will give us the same results.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

That said, Eastern Washington isn't quite as empty as Eastern Oregon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The desert in Eastern Oregon is the quietest place I've ever been by far.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Please do. Its good to have a matching set floating around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xylorjax posted:

That said, Eastern Washington isn't quite as empty as Eastern Oregon.

A large part of that is the river which allows trade (Lewiston in Idaho is the furthest inland port in the US) and apparently there's a fair amount of fertile land. I've been in Eastern Oregon lots of times as a youth because it was between where I lived in Idaho and the coast, and it's a desert. A beautiful desert, but still a desert.

That being said, I think Spokane wouldn't be a terrible place to live for what I'm used to (smallish college town that's kinda liberal), I just wish there was a more balanced tax system in Washington.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 25, 2014

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

glowing-fish posted:

As many people in this thread (and elsewhere) have noted, most of the population of Oregon and Washington is centered in the Portland or Seattle metro areas. But I was curious just how concentrated the population was, so I decided to put together a map for Oregon, showing the 50, 75 and 90% population areas, by county.

It might sound confusing, but hopefully the map itself will make things clearer:

So 50% of Oregon's population is in the Portland+Salem metro area, 75% of Oregon's population is in that area, or elsewhere in the Willamette Valley or Bend, and then by adding the coast and the Medford area to it, we get to 90% of Oregon's population.

Well, not that guy, but I'm kind of a map geek and it actually sounds Interesting to do these following a set of rules:
1. Minimize the number of counties you have to paint
2. Keep each level contiguous (All green counties must form a single blob, all green+yellow counties must form one blob, all green+yellow+orange counties must form one blob)

Spokane and Olympia make this open-ended for Washington; here's my stab at it, but glowing-fish will do one his way for a proper matching set. I just got interested :shobon: Yellow is basically "I-5 and also Yakima", interestingly.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 25, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ferry county is a landlocked one? :psyduck: By the name I always assumed it was one of the island areas.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 25, 2014

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

effectual posted:

Ferry county is a landlocked one? :psyduck: By the name I always assumed it was one of the island areas.

Ferry is the county with no stop lights anywhere in it.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

RIP old Coulee Dam laser show, your cheesy 1950s propaganda will be missed. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Seattle police officers sue to not have their use of force restricted, claiming use-of-force policies restrict their Constitutional right to be violent. Yup.

Kiro News posted:

More than 100 officers with the Seattle Police Department have filed a federal civil rights complaint against the Seattle mayor, city attorney, Department of Justice monitor and U.S. attorney general saying use-of-force policies are unreasonably restricting their Constitutional rights.

An attachment to the complaint, filed Wednesday afternoon in U.S. District Court, names 122 officers.
Specifically, the officers say the use-of-force policies “unreasonably restrict and burden their right to protect themselves and others in violation of the Second, Fourth, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution”
KIRO 7 is at Mayor Ed Murray’s office to ask him about the civil rights complaint filed against him. We are also asking City Attorney Pete Holmes about the claim, who was named as a defendant, too. KIRO 7’s Alison Grande is working to get their responses. She will report live on KIRO 7 Eyewitness News starting at 5 p.m.

The civil rights complaint said that in some places, the use-of-force policy “is overly complicated and contradictory, in other places overly precise and mechanical,” requiring officers to engage in “mental gymnastics.”

“The (use-of-force policies and practices require Plaintiffs to under-react to threats of harm until we have no choice but to overreact,” the complaint reads. “This makes it inevitable – although unnecessary and unreasonable – that officers and citizens will get killed or seriously injured.”

The officers say what the city and Seattle police have drafted, “with heavy-handed oversight by (the) DOJ and the Monitor, is a policy that wholly disregards the Court’s clear prioritization of the practical safety issues facing police officers.”

The use-of-force policy “induces hesitation because officers are fearful of censure and sanction should their actions, in hindsight, be judged to have violated any of a number of layers of rules and provisions that invite conflicting interpretation.”

Earlier this month, a report from Seattle police data showed that in the past four years the number of times an officer checked out a suspicious person plummeted 80 percent.

“Aside from evidence that officers are hesitating and/or failing to use appropriate and lawfully justified force to address threats safely and effectively, there is evidence of a dramatic decrease in proactive police work to investigate and stop crime,” the complaint reads. “Officers are turning in their Tasers in large numbers – even though such devices provide reasonable and effective tools when facing threatening conduct – because Plantiffs are confused about how and when we can use them to see too great a possibility for unreasonable discipline under the (use-of-force) policy.

“Police officers will testify to an insidious new hesitation to responding to calls for backup.”

Officers previously have told KIRO 7 that proactive checkes have dropped because of what they believe is excessive paperwork and scrutiny that began after DOJ oversight began.
The civil rights complaint also said that officers “are now being brought in to headquarters like criminal suspects and subjected to intimidating, non-consensual recorded interviews for conduct that was widely accepted as effective and lawful policing just a few months ago.”

“The real-world effect of the (use-of-force) policy is to induce a reluctance by patrol officers to use appropriate and sufficient use of force to control dangerous suspects,” the civil rights complaint reads. “It effectively creates hesitation and paralysis by analysis that puts officers, suspects and the general public at greater risk of injury or death, as a situation that might have been quelled early on is allowed to spiral to increasingly higher levels of violence because the officer uses too little force too late.”

In December 2010, the DOJ concluded officers engaged in a pattern and practice of excessive force. The investigation came after more than 30 groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union, asked the DOJ to investigate.

In the summer of 2012, the DOJ filed a consent decree to address concerns and separately entered into a settlement agreement. The consent decree was modified in U.S. District Court in Sept. 2012.

On Sept. 21, the court modified and entered the consent decree. The documents below provide more information about the investigation, the Justice Department's findings, the consent decree and memorandum of understanding, and next steps.
The 122 officers who have joined the civil rights complaint make up roughly seven percent of the approximately 1,800 overall members of the Seattle Police Department.
While the cover sheet of the complaint references a total of 126 officers, the list of names includes only 122. Four names appear to have been removed.

Police are upset which can only mean that good, meaningful things are actually happening.

• Locked thread