Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Just read that PC version only supports 64-bit OS, is that standard these days? I mean I run 64-bit so IDK, but I think that could surprise a few gamers :ohdear:

It's not standard but it's getting there, which should prove to be a good thing overall.

Really though, if there's people out there still holding out, they need to just upgrade. 64-bit has been so much loving better than 32-bit ever was for me, and it's not like you can't just mod Windows to look and act like WinXP or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You all should have been running 64bit since Vista.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

IchGestalt posted:

If this game allows me to sit at a major intersection and just constantly change the traffic lights then it will be GOTY.

Reive posted:

Seems fine for a throwaway minigame, I'll probably play chess more.

Here's another leak, this time a full res screenshot, way prettier than those marketing videos made it out to be:

These are the reasons I've become excited about this game.

Also, playing hide and seek with my friends in free-roam MP:

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly. Hide around a corner. Tuck into a car. Stand in the middle of a crowd. Blend in. Yes, if you're running around like a jackass you're going to give yourself away immediately, but how is a player going to be able to tell which one of the 70 people in the park you are if they're all just casually walking around or standing in one place?

I don't know if this was brought up in the other thread, or if anyone even watches the show besides me, but I'm getting a "Person of Interest (that show with the Ben Linus guy)" vibe, too.

e: Anyone here using a GTX 670? I want to make sure I can play the game in all of its glory, but I won't be buying a new video card until the 800 series cards come out. Upon release, if anyone can attest to the actual performance when using the 670, that would be awesome. If it's not ideal, I can wait and buy the game when it inevitably appears on the Steam Fall or Winter sale and play once I get my new card.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 21, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You all should have been running 64bit since Vista.

Noooooooooo Vista was poo poo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

I said come in! posted:

Vista was fine as long as you had new hardware.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

marjorie posted:

e: Anyone here using a GTX 670? I want to make sure I can play the game in all of its glory, but I won't be buying a new video card until the 800 series cards come out. Upon release, if anyone can attest to the actual performance when using the 670, that would be awesome. If it's not ideal, I can wait and buy the game when it inevitably appears on the Steam Fall or Winter sale once I get my new card.

Devs have said a 670 is enough to play it on ultra (at most likely 30 fps), if the CPU is there, specifically one with a passmark score of 9000 or more.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Devs have said a 670 is enough to play it on ultra (at most likely 30 fps), if the CPU is there, specifically one with a passmark score of 9000 or more.

Thanks! I'm getting the i5-4690k in a couple of weeks, so that should be no problem.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Gamesguy posted:

That loss is misleading. As a project GTA V has been incredibly profitable for Take-Two. You're looking at quarterly numbers during a slow quarter with no new releases. That's how video game publishers work. They make huge profits one or two quarters out of the year(or even two years) and on the rest they generally lose money.
T2 posted a $340M profit for the year after posting losses for 2 years in a row. They took a loss in Q4, but they were expecting a loss in Q4 and lost $23M less than expected. So, they didn't have a bad year or a bad quarter. Their share price is down, but not for either of those reasons, it's down because they reduced their earnings forecast.

The article also says EA and Activision are down, but both went up by double-digit percentages after they posted their yearly results.

That article is wrong and dumb.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 21, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I have an incredibly hard time believing this to be true.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Sedisp posted:

I have an incredibly hard time believing this to be true.

I don't know if it's true, but it is what they said. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=822274&page=1

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I don't know if it's true, but it is what they said. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=822274&page=1

Oh I know it's what they said I just have a really hard time believing it to be the case. If it is the case this game is hilariously badly optimized to require a midrange GPU but a new CPU. Why in the world are they using Passmark scores to determine if your CPU is good enough anyways?

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 21, 2014

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Welp, I'm off to Toronto for the launch party. I'm all packed, see?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Lars Blitzer posted:

Where is the stealth scarf?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

He does make a point that if you've upgraded since Vista was released, you really ought to have gone 64-bit.

And if you haven't upgraded since Vista, it would be like trying to play a SNES game on a toaster.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I assume the minimum required processor is 64-bit right? so there is no excuse to not have a 64-bit OS if you have a machine that can run the game. I can't understand how I survived with only 32-bit computers, I need 6GB RAM just for my web browser.

Edit: Of course it is , man this looks dumb.

Hel fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 21, 2014

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Hel posted:

I assume the minimum required processor is 64-bit right? so there is no excuse to not have a 64-bit OS if you have a machine that can run the game. I can't understand how I survived with only 32-bit computers, I need 6GB RAM just for my web browser.

That last page or so has comprised almost completely of posts talking about how the game requires 64bit architecture to run.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I got this game free with a graphics card and am pleasantly surprised to find that it looks like it might be ok.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So what turned people against this game anyway? I remember a lot of people being really optimistic and excited about it, but the general mood seems to have deflated if not outright turned now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

poptart_fairy posted:

So what turned people against this game anyway? I remember a lot of people being really optimistic and excited about it, but the general mood seems to have deflated if not outright turned now.

There was a significant graphics downgrade from what was shown in the 2012 reveal, as Ubisoft realized the new consoles wouldn't be made out of a zillion cores with terabytes of RAM. So people interpret this as Ubisoft blatantly lying to them when they showed the 2012 video.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I think this quote sums it up for me:

"Watch Dogs is collectively the poster child for "AAA game promises to be something different", CUT TO: Is more of the same than you could possibly imagine."

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

poptart_fairy posted:

For the most part it's probably just different people. I never commented on the game much in the past myself, but as the release date approaches and we're getting a better picture of what the game is, I posted about my concerns without writing the game off.

The graphics downgrade isn't a concern for me, mostly it comes down to Ubisoft's track record with game elements that look deep/interesting at first but ultimately prove to be shallow and not well-considered parts of a cohesive whole.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 21, 2014

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

poptart_fairy posted:

We were all looking forward to playing it on our new shiny next-gen consoles and then it was delayed, game wasn't anywhere near ready to meet the hype gained and the videos we see now are apparently poor compared to the E3 videos back in 2012 or whenever it was. That's not me though, just what I hear when people are negative about WD, for me I don't care as long as it looks decent which it seems to and as long as the game doesn't end up boring me to death after 12 or so hours.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Dumb babies are mad about the console versions not looking as nice or something.

Me I'm still excited because it's gonna be rad as heck.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

Probably has to do with the lack of gameplay shown so far. Almost all of it has been shown by Ubisoft themselves, so people are skeptical and making assumptions.
Also some uPlay hate for good measure.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

poptart_fairy posted:

Someone posted a 300x200 .gif of the new "terrible" graphics, and it was all downhill from there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Greenplastic posted:

Someone posted a 300x200 .gif of the new "terrible" graphics, and it was all downhill from there.

Let's play Dark Souls instead.

Awww yisss...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ymgve posted:

There was a significant graphics downgrade from what was shown in the 2012 reveal, as Ubisoft realized the new consoles wouldn't be made out of a zillion cores with terabytes of RAM. So people interpret this as Ubisoft blatantly lying to them when they showed the 2012 video.

I thought the PC version was supposed to look like the 2012 video.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Pre-ordered the deluxe edition on Steam.

Not sure I've got high hopes for it or not but it's only £45 and worth a punt.

wonder if it has similar vibe to Alpha Protocol?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the PC version was supposed to look like the 2012 video.

It doesn't have as much detail, but it looks pretty nice, as does the PS4 version. The Xbox One screens are the only ones that stick out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It doesn't have as much detail, but it looks pretty nice, as does the PS4 version. The Xbox One screens are the only ones that stick out.

Has there even been any gameplay that's confirmed to be the PC version?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Broken Cog posted:

Has there even been any gameplay that's confirmed to be the PC version?

This is the only video that's confirmed PC I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKOyqOJMmQ&hd=1

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still think it's gonna be a rad game but the initial rollout made it seem like there would be like, almost no guns or car chases and you'd be walking around the city hacking everyone's phones and getting into an awesome near-future Gibson novel plot and everything would be detailed and nonlinear and now the company is directly comparing it to GTA and there are guns and car chases and probably a lot less neo-noir than people thought there would be.

I don't really give a poo poo about the graphics.

Orv
May 4, 2011

precision posted:

I still think it's gonna be a rad game but the initial rollout made it seem like there would be like, almost no guns or car chases and you'd be walking around the city hacking everyone's phones and getting into an awesome near-future Gibson novel plot and everything would be detailed and nonlinear and now the company is directly comparing it to GTA and there are guns and car chases and probably a lot less neo-noir than people thought there would be.

I don't really give a poo poo about the graphics.

Much as I would have probably enjoyed that, even back then it should be pretty obvious it'd never happen. Someone said it a couple pages ago, Ubisoft likes safe bets for the most part. They're not going to make a crazy experimental storytelling RPG when they can make Grand Theft Assassin and rake in the trillions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lars Blitzer posted:

Are you gonna get drunk and dance on a table and let everyone look up your skirt?

Because those are chick drinks.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

Keep an eye out for someone in a STEALTH SCARF and make sure they don't hack your phone.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Are you gonna get drunk and dance on a table and let everyone look up your skirt?

Look at this guy. Thinks he's too cool to consume certain liquor.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

coyo7e posted:

:can:

I'll remember you when I'm scrolling through three pages of slapfighting over drinks.

EDIT: God drat you. God drat you so much right now. :argh:

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 21, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

According to the trophy list, drinking contests are indeed a part of Watch Dogs. Ha ha.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Are you gonna get drunk

Nobody could possible get drunk on four airplane bottles, at least two of which are liqueurs (I have no idea what Kraken is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

precision posted:

(I have no idea what Kraken is).

Rum

• Locked thread