Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

"All right, its a 30 foot tall flame demon. You've got a wooden club. Go get em champ."

I actually died because I tried to be fancy with lingering flame and got smashed into lava. Even with a +2 casting speed ring, it takes way too loving long to cast.

This is fantastic. It makes me somewhat sad that I still haven't gotten a trident on any of my characters though.

I've gotten 2 thanks to the little birds. Thank god that small soapstone gives you Smooth & Silky Stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

So... Vendrick. Am I missing something here? I'm doing 3 damage per hit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the tridents seem to be a fairly common reward from the Smooth and Silky stones; I think I've got 5 tridents so far, and I haven't even finished NG.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Mr Tumbles posted:

I have major problems working that middle range between using caestii and the GS. In between clearing mobs and point blank range and tackling lone big bads at a distance, I get totally stomped by anything I can't poisebreak from beyond arm's reach. Sometimes a strong pair of fists just don't cut it and I'm open to counterattacks from things that just eat GS attacks. Cyclops and Lion warriors are bad news, and I'm not really looking forward to anything in Dragon's Shrine ever.

Are there any good fill-in two handers that excel at medium range? Should I ditch the shield and focus on better at timing and zoning? Are there any upgrade/infuse paths that you folk can recommend? Do I just need to git gud scrub?

I recommend the Zweihander or Claymore/Drangleic GS, though those might err on the side of long for you, they're probably worth a try.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nekoxid posted:

Go grab more Giant Souls from the giant memories. Also, kill the Ancient Dragon.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

nekoxid posted:

You need to collect at least four giant souls to be able to do significant damage to him. it's best to leave him for now.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Go grab more Giant Souls from the giant memories. Also, kill the Ancient Dragon.

you really don't have to do that last part and I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to tear your hair out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know, Cowcaster is right. This armor does not look half bad.

The tail totally kills it for me from behind though. Ergh.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 21, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone know if the Old Knight weapons and armour actually do anything when they break?

They explode like the Ring of Thorns does.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Don't use the wikis, they are almost always wrong. Ask a friend or use the character builders.

That page, for instance, is quite wrong! It's 12.5/20/25, not 3.5/5.5/8.5.

From a couple of pages back but I'm slow to catch up...

Does anyone know the regen percentage on the shields?

I've been trying both the dragon regen shield from Amana and the blossom kite shield and they both seem to have a noticeable effect but one of the wikis at least lists them at 5% which can't be right unless I'm just getting a placebo effect.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Mr Tumbles posted:

Looking for advice on a two-handed man mode build.

I've always liked melee builds in dark souls, so after concluding that pretty much 3/4 of DS2 is doable without a shield I decided to try out my first man mode build. Pure strength, no magic, no helmet, no shirt, no real problems. Early game was spent punching things with dual +5 caestii, with great success. Eventually added poison on them and the DPS never ceases to amaze me; It's incredible what you an stunlock with them, and I get a lot of technical enjoyment out of brawling my way through mobs. I'm in Drangleic Castle atm and I still use them all the time. As for the two-hander of choice, I slowly worked my way into a PUG and felt pretty comfortable with the moveset, and right now I'm working with a +8 GS. The huge range, big damage and versatile moveset makes it a lot of fun to work with both with and without a shield. It wears a little quick for my liking but put on an ash knuckle ring and you're golden. Sending dudes flying never gets old and being capable of 500+ damage at Huntsman's Copse feels goooooooooooood. For the occasions I need to shoot things, the Dragonrider bow works nicely. Poison arrows are also great for cheesing through sections when you're just not in the mood.

I have major problems working that middle range between using caestii and the GS. In between clearing mobs and point blank range and tackling lone big bads at a distance, I get totally stomped by anything I can't poisebreak from beyond arm's reach. Sometimes a strong pair of fists just don't cut it and I'm open to counterattacks from things that just eat GS attacks. Cyclops and Lion warriors are bad news, and I'm not really looking forward to anything in Dragon's Shrine ever.

Are there any good fill-in two handers that excel at medium range? Should I ditch the shield and focus on better at timing and zoning? Are there any upgrade/infuse paths that you folk can recommend? Do I just need to git gud scrub?

Lion warriors will not be an issue for you with the greatsword or caestus if you just backstab them to death, which is alarmingly easy since they're so slow.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Colapops posted:

Lion warriors will not be an issue for you with the greatsword or caestus if you just backstab them to death, which is alarmingly easy since they're so slow.

Speaking of which, is it just me, or is the caestus backstab animation just the dagger animation? It looks... wonky.

Missed opportunity to make the backstab animation for unarmed/caestus a German suplex or something.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Maybe use some greatsword class weapon like Claymore or Mastodon Greatsword?

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Cardboard Box posted:

You need to collect at least four giant souls to be able to do significant damage to him. it's best to leave him for now.

you really don't have to do that last part and I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to tear your hair out.

Ah okay, thanks. Giant memories then.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

nftyw posted:

Mundane is such a fun setup to work with. I'll have to see if fooling with a Mundane Ricard's Rapier R2 attack would be worth anything sometime.

The damage on Ricards R2 including buffs and everything is scaled down pretty hard. It'll still hit pretty hard but anyone with poise is just going to eat it and backstab you.

DSauer posted:

I have a great deal of trouble dealing with Ultra Greatsword wielders in PvP. Latency makes it seem like they can hit from an extra sword length away and they can be steered into landing a blow even midway through a swing. Is baiting the wielder into blowing stamina and punishing them the only real way to not get killed?

A bit late, but there are several options
You can continously roll through their attacks until they stop swinging and go for a backstab. This won't work against good players (i.e. it'll work almost always) since those will delay one of their swings and it'll hit you as you come out of the roll.
You can bait an attack and then hit their face with Avelyn/RGS/urns whatever.
Two hand something fast with at least 20 poise damage or more and do a roll attack through their first swing.

Plastic Mick
Feb 12, 2013

Stuck in the 80s
Just finished the game.
The bonfire at the Salt Fort. Thank you From.
:cawg:

Got a few questions for people more familiar with the game:
The Stone Ring seems to add a shitload of poise damage to weapons but does anyone know how much exactly?
Also is the parry dagger even worth using over a scimitar?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
STOP THINKING ABOUT THE BELL

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

STOP THINKING ABOUT THE BELL

It's me, I am the phantom that people summon at the bell.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 21, 2014

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

Internet Kraken posted:

"All right, its a 30 foot tall flame demon. You've got a wooden club. Go get em champ."

Your character looks so pitiful :smith:.

Also, having a metric poo poo-ton of trouble with the Ruin Sentinels. I go in and instantly get smacked for 1/2 life. If I roll to dodge the overhead I still get hit. Tried rolling into and got hosed. It seems like I'd want to summon for a 3-assholed boss but I'm usually dead by the time they get in.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

electrohead posted:

Your character looks so pitiful :smith:.

Also, having a metric poo poo-ton of trouble with the Ruin Sentinels. I go in and instantly get smacked for 1/2 life. If I roll to dodge the overhead I still get hit. Tried rolling into and got hosed. It seems like I'd want to summon for a 3-assholed boss but I'm usually dead by the time they get in.

There's times when I bite my pride, pull out the Drangleic Shield, and apply Mace the slow and steady way. Since I'm bad at the game, this is more often than it ought to be. Good players can dance around the Ruin Sentinels but I can't. For me, this is one of those tank-it-out battles.

If you can survive the five seconds it takes for summons to follow you in, you may wanna get the NPC phantom lurking in one of the nearby jail cells.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

electrohead posted:

What's your AGL? Contrary to what you might expect, you need to dodge at the last possible moment in DS2 to have the best chance of avoiding a hit.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Plastic Mick posted:

The Stone Ring seems to add a shitload of poise damage to weapons but does anyone know how much exactly?

A flat 10, I think, so it's best for quick-attacking weapons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What's your AGL? Contrary to what you might expect, you need to dodge at the last possible moment in DS2 to have the best chance of avoiding a hit.

What this guy says. If you have low agility you might want to try respeccing a higher ADP or ATT

RS will ruin you over and over if you can't roll properlike unless you want to try tanking their hits but that would require LOTS of stamina

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 21, 2014

Plastic Mick
Feb 12, 2013

Stuck in the 80s

Alabaster White posted:

A flat 10, I think, so it's best for quick-attacking weapons.

Oh, that's all?
I was using it with a craftsman's hammer against people with a shield to rip through their endurance instead of guard breaking them.
Works pretty well, but if the ring only adds 10 then I imagine it's the hammer doing most of the work.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Plastic Mick posted:

Oh, that's all?
I was using it with a craftsman's hammer against people with a shield to rip through their endurance instead of guard breaking them.
Works pretty well, but if the ring only adds 10 then I imagine it's the hammer doing most of the work.

Poise damage doesn't affect shield-breaking, afaik, just the listed shield-breaking stat mixed with the innate damage of the weapon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPIeDTCGSs

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's at 83 I believe. The bolded might be part of the problem though, I will try fixing that. I'm a cleric start running STR/FTH (more faith at the moment) but while I've put a fair amount into ATN I haven't put much into ADP (since agility comes from both). I've a +5 mace though and I might try blocking as well though I've not used a shield much at all in DS2--it seemed like they suck compared to DS1.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

electrohead posted:

It's at 83 I believe. The bolded might be part of the problem though, I will try fixing that. I'm a cleric start running STR/FTH (more faith at the moment) but while I've put a fair amount into ATN I haven't put much into ADP (since agility comes from both). I've a +5 mace though and I might try blocking as well though I've not used a shield much at all in DS2--it seemed like they suck compared to DS1.

83 Agility is your problem, you have basically no invincibility frames so you're going to get hit almost every time.

Edit: Yeah 85 agility is only 8 frames, less than than DS1's fatroll.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Why is his reticle purple

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Piell posted:

83 Agility is your problem, you have basically no invincibility frames so you're going to get hit almost every time.

yeah, at least 100 agility is the sweet spot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plastic Mick posted:

Oh, that's all?

Keep in mind that on most 1h weapons, 10 poise damage is somewhere in the region of 40-60% more poise damage. It's huge.

It's still 33% on the craftsman's hammer, too.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

Piell posted:

Ugh, I thought that was acceptable. It explains a lot of the troubles I've been having dodging though. I didn't realize exactly how dire the agility issue was.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

electrohead posted:

Ugh, I thought that was acceptable. It explains a lot of the troubles I've been having dodging though. I didn't realize exactly how dire the agility issue was.

You basically want either 25 ADP with ATN as low as it will go (for non-casters) or 50 ATN and 12 ADP (for casters) so you get ~100 AGL and get the equivalent to a DS1 midroll.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMLIdhilQA

FPS seems to affect iframes.

e:

The Skeletons in Majula have a cool parry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGbzr2LJUw&feature=youtu.be

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Kild posted:

FPS seems to affect iframes.

There's been a lot of talk floating around about framerate-related problems like this, and it's all too easy for me to accept that it might be true. I can understand why one might be misled into building the game around frames rather than time, especially if you're used to working on consoles with your logic running at a fixed 30fps. If true, it means dodging basically only has half the invincibility time it's supposed to on PC, along with a host of other issues like faster weapon degradation. It probably makes parrying much harder, too, and explains why jump attacks and guard breaks are so difficult to do consistently.

Has anyone done any :science: on that, actually? It's one thing to say that the observed behavior is consistent with the hypothesis, and another entirely to have evidence in favor of it. I haven't seen any, but the idea has to have come from somewhere, right?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 21, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Don't know where to post this but Demon's Souls/Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has been appointed presiden of From Software apparently.

I wonder whether he'll have time to personally direct any of From's projects now :ohdear:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

This is fantastic. It makes me somewhat sad that I still haven't gotten a trident on any of my characters though.

I've got three, do you want some? I'm on NG+ with around 5-6 million SM last I checked.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Don't know where to post this but Demon's Souls/Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has been appointed presiden of From Software apparently.

I wonder whether he'll have time to personally direct any of From's projects now :ohdear:

We are entering a golden age. :getin:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dodge iframes were only really tested after the PC release came out and we had a stable framerate to work with in the first palce. While they were broken down at 30fps so results would be roughly consistent across platforms, and the results were POSTED as "XX frames", it was also quickly tested at 60FPS to check for oddities. That is how we got the "XXX AGI = DS1 mid-roll" data. See: Vageta311's breakdown. If iframes were halved, this would be immediately apparent, something he addresses here. So the data should be interpreted more as "10 iframes = 1/3rd of a second", where you get 20 frames of invulnerability at 60hz.

There are definitely some problems in there, like weapon durability sampling, but while saying 60fps affects iframes is not TECHNICALLY untrue, it is misleading. What we are seeing in the demonstration you posted is likely data being present on an "odd" frame that otherwise wouldn't exist in a 30hz system. The practical effect is something like you gaining one additional iframe, because the time limited nature of the system occurs BETWEEN frame updates, and so you get 1/30th of a second additional invulnerability time. At 60hz, that data exists when your invulnerability time expires and the game logic can actually register the hit. Yes, your invulnerability time CAN be shorter, but only by 1/60th of a second.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 21, 2014

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Boss ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Is there any reason to not make my staff Magic (I have Staff of Amana) if I have 40+ Int? I don't use hexes.