Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, some of the stuff they've gotten is material goods you could divvy up and send a cut of back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sette is going to burn that place to the ground. That laugh signed their death warrant.

Business is business.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"Duane, make me tall and glorious".

Sette, you're awesome. :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sette is going to burn that place to the ground. That laugh signed their death warrant.

Business is business.

If the way Anadyne reacted to Sette at the docks was any indication, Stockyard's known she was coming for a while and has his own plans for her. I guess we'll find out how many ways you can booby-trap a brothel.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Oxxidation posted:

booby-trap

Well, Duane did say he would fight them all.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
~Duane! Make me tall so I can see eye to eye with Stockyard~

~Shhh Duane dont interrupt me the adults are talking about family business~

:allears:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I'm thinking that everything is connected and getting both Duane and Sette there along with that silver is all part of one big plan. What that plan is, who can say really, but I've been doubting for a while Bastion would be so eager to let on about Duane's condition to Nary merely for him to send his (maybe?) daughter on a collections mission. There's a great big plot at work here, and we could have the curtain start to peel away this week possibly, very exciting!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gally posted:

I'm thinking that everything is connected and getting both Duane and Sette there along with that silver is all part of one big plan. What that plan is, who can say really, but I've been doubting for a while Bastion would be so eager to let on about Duane's condition to Nary merely for him to send his (maybe?) daughter on a collections mission. There's a great big plot at work here, and we could have the curtain start to peel away this week possibly, very exciting!!

The big enigma right now is Delicieu, and what everyone else's interests are in him. My current guess is that this is all one big play by Bastion to use Duane and Sette as a catspaw to lure out Delicieu - given that Bastion doesn't seem to truck much with mortality, I don't know how fond he'd be of a wright who specializes in the manipulation of pain.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
re: 17% of nothing, because we don't take cash...

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
There's no way Nary didn't know about the labor points stuff. Another reason to think he's sent Sette in with ulterior motives. Though I suppose his perspective may have just been 'not my problem, give me my money'.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the answer is "forward some portion of the bartered goods", as was pointed out earlier

good luck trying to smuggle it, though. Come and get it yourself if you want it, etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the job was basically to deliver Duane and/or Sette to the location and to some party or another. The only thing that Sette or Duane have that's of value is well, themselves.

also the bottom right corner of today's comic:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fabricated posted:

also the bottom right corner of today's comic:

No, your other right. :v:

Stockyard might be a charmingly loathsome monster of a rogue, but his comparison of Cresce to a giant company town feels appropriate.

I have to wonder if Duane's talented enough to crack the encryption on everyone's labourcoin wallets. And if the Frummagems already knew that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

T.G. Xarbala posted:

No, your other right. :v:

Stockyard might be a charmingly loathsome monster of a rogue, but his comparison of Cresce to a giant company town feels appropriate.

I have to wonder if Duane's talented enough to crack the encryption on everyone's labourcoin wallets. And if the Frummagems already knew that.

Yeah, I noticed that just now :v:

The big mystery is the real reason that Sette/Duane were sent there.

They're just too weirdly unique for it not to involve what they are. Duane's a magical curiosity (and likely the person who made him that way is involved or connected), and Sette is obviously not human nor young if Ashley's constant hints are to be believed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fabricated posted:

and Sette is obviously not human nor young if Ashley's constant hints are to be believed.
What's this again?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jackard posted:

What's this again?
In all the offsite stuff Ashley is really deliberately cagey when people ask how old she is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That could just as easily mean she's a lot younger than she looks, too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
There's some implication that's she's a (re?)incarnation of (one of?) the dead lion-twin gods, iirc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tenebrais posted:

That could just as easily mean she's a lot younger than she looks, too.
nah, she's specifically said how "old" her eyes look and other stuff. She's also made it clear that Sette was indeed a baby and grew up with her 'family'; thus people thinking she's some reincarnation or whatever instead of secretly being ancient. v:v:v

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That's right, Sette! The power of math shall be their undoing!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You don't bring a man's hair-do into family business. Low blow Sette. :colbert:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I am ready for adventures in accounting.

Chapter 10: Sette Examines The Deadly Nevergreen's Books (pp1-49)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Duane's looking a little gray around the gills. I hope Sette doesn't keep him out after dark! :ohdear:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You spelled 'tyranny' wrong.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
And off Duane goes, led about like a child by a literal slattern.

Sometimes one wonders if he might be a wee bit hypocritical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PleasingFungus posted:

And off Duane goes, led about like a child by a literal slattern.

Sometimes one wonders if he might be a wee bit hypocritical.

I think that may be the point yes. :v:

For all his idealism, Duane is from a fairly toxic culture and still has ingrained many of their precepts. Check dat casual misogyny he drops, despite his typical airs of being a gentleman.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ashley, via Tumblr posted:

He’s a product of his environment. Alderode’s a fiercely patriarchal place. So yeah, by our standards he’s pretty sexist.

And again posted:

An Aldish free-thinker is someone like Vienne Quigley who actively wanted to tear down the caste system, take apart the Dammakhert, dismantle the government, redistribute the horded wealth of the ruling families, provide social services, end the endless aggression against Cresce, open the borders, and establish equal rights for women and the less esteemed castes. If she hadn’t lived out in the boonies she’d have been seeking out The March and joining them instead of trying to design them weaponry from afar.

Duane’s a fairly standard Aldishman, I’m afraid to say. From the Dammakhert, to Vits Council rule, to the Great Compromise, to even the oppression of The March and The Mmatonts and his own people, he is a supporter of what his country does.

Yep.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This has the potential to explain everything

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh look, a shoe is dropping.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well poo poo.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh look, a shoe is dropping.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

drat. Well here's to hoping that Sette sides with Duane and they get the hell out of there since everyone else seems to be playing them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
And Toma and Co are on their way at this very moment too. :allears:

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Aaaaww. Look at the pronouns they're both dropping. It's like a buffer against the horrible, horrible things that'll come next. :3:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I figured the whole deal was for the purposes of delivering Duane and/or Sette to someone. I can't believe that Sette was simply used to deliver him because Duane is a soft touch for disadvantaged children; she's got to be part of the deal for one of the parties involved in this unless Nary/et al are complete retards and don't really know what Sette is.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I don't know if I'm reading this the wrong way, but now it's sounding like Cresce (or someone in it) really was the ones behind Duane's assassination. Or perhaps it's that pleasant fellow Delicieu.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Someone in Cresce, possibly. Cresce itself, no way.

This page explains a lot. The whole point of sending Sette was to keep Duane on-task, which means that whoever arranged for that to happen (working with Bastion) knew him very well, enough to know that he wouldn't be able to act against Sette and would go all the way with her to keep her safe. This person was almost certainly Lemuel or someone getting information from him. Nary and Stockyard both think Duane is just a plod; Sette is the only one outside the conspiracy that is aware of his true nature, and only because of the events of last chapter (which is presumably why that had to happen before this point, to influence her thinking).

Duane, one kind of weapon, was being shipped to the same place another kind of weapon (the first silver) was also sent, along with a mechanism that can control him. (Sette can only use it to control him at night, but that doesn't mean it has no influence on him the rest of the time if someone knows what they're doing.) It feels very much like some kind of horrifying nuclear pymary is planned, but aimed at who, and for what purpose? To win the war, or just end it?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SpaceViking posted:

I don't know if I'm reading this the wrong way, but now it's sounding like Cresce (or someone in it) really was the ones behind Duane's assassination. Or perhaps it's that pleasant fellow Delicieu.

It does sound like it, but remember that we don't know if Stockyard has the whole story either. It sounds a lot like a line that was fed to him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

idonotlikepeas posted:

The whole point of sending Sette was to keep Duane on-task

Are you sure of that? One-of-a-kind things. Seems to me she's just as likely to be integral to this conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It's definitely possible, but my current belief is that her main contribution is that she's a little girl and someone knew how Duane would react to that.