Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

mrpwase posted:

WHATEVER YOU DO THOUGH GUYS DON'T VOTE UKIP THOUGH HERE HAVE MY 5000 WORD ESSAY ON IT :byodood:

http://www.shouldivoteukip.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jack the Lad posted:

I thought that said UKIP ISP of choice for a second.

I use Andrews & Arnold. Bit pricey but you get what you pay for (awesome service) and they're cool guys who have a lot to say about things like internet filtering.

I had a problem when my account went live and the CEO himself helped me out on IRC out of hours and wrote a blog post about it :3:
In addition to this, their own legal page happily points out that if you register as a communications provider (nothing more than a setting you can change on your account page) they are then free to ignore any copyright infringement notices about you that get sent to them.

quote:

If you are a subscriber then the Communications Act (as modified by the Digital Economy Act) means we will have to pass on copyright infringement reports we get about your IP addresses; count those reports; include you (anonymously) in lists we have to send; and maybe take measures to block or restrict your Internet service. However, if you receive service as a communications provider you are not a subscriber and we can ignore notices relating to your IP addresses as invalid. Indeed, we may be obliged not to send noticed to you in such cases as that would be harrassment as well as possibly fraudulantly charging the copyright owner for handling notices that are not in fact valid notices.
I like my ISP :)

TACD fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 20, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LemonDrizzle posted:

His suggestion that the Greens might get an MEP in Scotland is particularly absurd since some proper polls have been done there and the Greens consistently poll below UKIP, the Tories, and Labour's potential third MEP.
Interesting. I'm trying to decide between Green and SNP in Scotland, with the Greens having policies I agree with more and the SNP being the next least worst and probably having a better shot at another MEP. I think I'll probably end up going Green, even if they don't get in I'd rather lend them my support.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

TACD posted:

In addition to this, their own legal page happily points out that if you register as a communications provider (nothing more than a setting you can change on your account page) they are then free to ignore any copyright infringement notices about you that get sent to them.

Do they do Unmetered access at all?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I like Andrews and Arnold's philosophy but Plusnet are a shitload cheaper if you want fiber to cabinet and unlimited down/up.

Plus if it all goes Pete Tong, a nice person in Sheffield sorts it for you. They've been nothing but great with me customer service wise.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Bozza posted:

I like Andrews and Arnold's philosophy but Plusnet are a shitload cheaper if you want fiber to cabinet and unlimited down/up.
I loving dream of fibre to the cabinet. I'm stuck on a long-range wireless ISP that gives me 30 megabits down and a 60 gig/month usage allowance. I have literally no alternative :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bozza posted:

Plus if it all goes Pete Tong, a nice person in Sheffield sorts it for you. They've been nothing but great with me customer service wise.

Yeah yeah yeah, I think we all know the real reason :sax:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

thehustler posted:

Do they do Unmetered access at all?

Virgin do this, but only with the top (XL) package which clocks in at £30 a month. My last place only had Virgin ADSL which cost me £32 (it included £15 for line rental) and at most (before i would trigger the bandwidth limit and get throttled) i could get 1MB/s a second, on average though it was like 500Kb/s :/

The new fibre connection comes with their new router/hub thing which is dual band and i get a consistent unlimited 12.7MB/s on that.

Basically, if you can get access to it, i'd say get the XL Virgin package (unless i'm missing something horrible about Virgin).

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 20, 2014

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
I will vote Green in the South East (or 'Southern', whatever it's called - East Anglia) to try and help Rupert Read keep his seat. I know more about his work in philosophy than his politics, but I'm sure he's a decent enough fellow (even though his twitter feed is a bit cringey and I find his writing style in philosophy papers to be unnecessarily pompous and aggressive). But Green is definitely the best option.

I'm going to vote Lib Dem for local council elections because Zoe O'Connell is my Lib Dem candidate, and she is pretty cool despite being a Lib Dem. Also, the only other reasonable choice here is Green, but he'll never get in.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Whitefish posted:

I will vote Green in the South East (or 'Southern', whatever it's called - East Anglia) to try and help Rupert Read keep his seat. I know more about his work in philosophy than his politics, but I'm sure he's a decent enough fellow (even though his twitter feed is a bit cringey and I find his writing style in philosophy papers to be unnecessarily pompous and aggressive). But Green is definitely the best option.

I'm going to vote Lib Dem for local council elections because Zoe O'Connell is my Lib Dem candidate, and she is pretty cool despite being a Lib Dem. Also, the only other reasonable choice here is Green, but he'll never get in.

Definitely vote for Zoe, and I'm also hoping Sarah Brown stays in Petersfield; they're both really cool and nice people and could do with a bit of canvassing over the next two days if you can hold your nose long enough.

e: Also, Zoe and Sarah are two of only seven out trans people running for election, and probably the only two with a decent chance of winning.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 20, 2014

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
Greens have a chance in every English constituency except the North East (probably, local breakdowns are about as reliable as chicken entrails), but are looking strongest, perhaps even likely, in the South East, South West and London. So having just sliced a chicken open my best guess at the South East would be UKIP 3, Lab 1, Con 1, Green 1. The Greens'll be in a bitter fight with the Lib Dems and UKIP for a seat. Voting Labour here is NOT tactical; Labour will almost definitely win one, and only one, seat here, the Greens are the smart choice. Unless you happen to like Lib Dems/UKIP/Con. The Greens have very, very little chance in Scotland and Wales where it seems the nationalist parties squeeze them out.

Just to really emphasise the point about single constituency breakdowns, a recent Comres poll has the BNP at 20% in the North West and 42% in London. 42%. In London. People aren't joking when they say guessing is more likely to provide accurate results.

On the nuclear/GMO issue. Yes, they have a bad policy there, but Labour/SNP/anyotherpartyyoucaretoname have some-to-fucktons of bad policies too. The Greens broadly advocate the economic policies most here wish Labour would and aren't utter shits in the EU parliament, which Labour arguably are. They'll oppose the dreadful aspects of the TTIP about forced privatisations and Investor-State Tribunals, where Labour won't (whether or not that'll actually change anything). They're the better choice for the EU and they actually have a chance in most regions. (/opinion)

Alecto fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 20, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Alecto posted:

Greens have a chance in every English constituency except the North East (probably, local breakdowns are about as reliable as chicken entrails), but are looking strongest, perhaps even likely, in the South East, South West and London.

Just to really emphasise the point about single constituency breakdowns, a recent Comres poll has the BNP at 20% in the North West and 42% in London. 42%. In London. People aren't joking when they say guessing is more likely to provide accurate results.

It's important to distinguish between predictions based on crosstabs from national polls (which are worthless as you note) and those based on focused polling of specific electoral regions, which is substantially more credible. There hasn't been much regional polling in England but there has been some in London, and it really doesn't suggest that the Greens have much hope there - both YouGov and Survation had them on 7% in late April/early May, putting them behind both Labour's fourth MEP slot *and* the Lib Dems. It's not inconceivable that they could take a seat in London but there's reliable polling data to suggest that they won't.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 20, 2014

Nemo Iudex
Apr 1, 2014

TinTower posted:

Definitely vote for Zoe, and I'm also hoping Sarah Brown stays in Petersfield; they're both really cool and nice people and could do with a bit of canvassing over the next two days if you can hold your nose long enough.

e: Also, Zoe and Sarah are two of only seven out trans people running for election, and probably the only two with a decent chance of winning.

Well 7 candidates would be 0.9% of the 747 candidates standing this year in the Euro elections which would seem to reflect the population at large. The Equality and Human Rights Commission gives a figure of 300,000-500,000 for the trans population which would be 0.8% of the UK population overall so at least in this respect they are well-represented.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's important to distinguish between predictions based on crosstabs from national polls (which are worthless as you note) and those based on focused polling of specific electoral regions, which is substantially more credible. There hasn't been much regional polling in England but there has been some in London, and it really doesn't suggest that the Greens have much hope there - both YouGov and Survation had them on 7% in late April/early May, putting them behind both Labour's fourth MEP slot *and* the Lib Dems. It's not inconceivable that they could take a seat in London but there's reliable polling data to suggest that they won't.

Given the mercurial nature of voters on mid-parliament elections and the abominably low turnout that's to be expected, I'd say 7% is definitely within the 'have a chance/worth a vote' range. But that's definitely lower than I had them pegged at, so thanks for that info. If you, or anyone else, have seen single-constituency EU polling, a link would really make my day. I'll be having an extensive google tomorrow, but if that fails, I'd hate to end up with a filtered average of May polling or something like that.

Alecto fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 20, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Zephro posted:

I loving dream of fibre to the cabinet. I'm stuck on a long-range wireless ISP that gives me 30 megabits down and a 60 gig/month usage allowance. I have literally no alternative :(

I'm stuck using Three mobile Internet at the moment as it's the only thing I can get. They're getting increasingly lovely, though.

£15 a month on PAYG isn't too bad for unlimited data, provided you don't do anything like actually use it in which case you yet stuck with dial up speeds from 3pm to midnight.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Am I allowed to stand outside my polling station with a no to UKIP sign?

We are on 2 mbit, because BT are poo poo and won't connect my village to the nearest exchange, instead routing us to the city centre over 5km away. I dream of decent internet.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Greens are also in the danger of repeating the dangers of Cleggmania; the Lib Dems were on 31% after the first debate in 2010, I recall. They might pick up, say, Yorkshire and the Humber from the BNP, where I'm guessing the balance will end up 2 Labour, 2 UKIP, 1 Lib Dem, 1 Green, but I doubt they'll pick up in, say, East England.

Nemo Iudex posted:

Well 7 candidates would be 0.9% of the 747 candidates standing this year in the Euro elections which would seem to reflect the population at large. The Equality and Human Rights Commission gives a figure of 300,000-500,000 for the trans population which would be 0.8% of the UK population overall so at least in this respect they are well-represented.

Everyone but Sinclaire is running in council elections, of which I believe there are 4,000, which will put the number of candidates at nigh on 15,000.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

TinTower posted:

The Greens are also in the danger of repeating the dangers of Cleggmania; the Lib Dems were on 31% after the first debate in 2010, I recall. They might pick up, say, Yorkshire and the Humber from the BNP, where I'm guessing the balance will end up 2 Labour, 2 UKIP, 1 Lib Dem, 1 Green, but I doubt they'll pick up in, say, East England.

I'd be ASTOUNDED if Lib Dems and the Greens got a seat but not the Tories. Too much traditionally Tory countryside for them to not get a seat, i'd have thought, despite the UKIP appeal. It'll almost definitely be down to whether the Greens maintain their mid-May poll bump into Thursday that'd make the difference between the Greens and the Lib Dems. There also looked for a while like there was a chance of UKIP or Labour squeezing them both out for a third seat, but they've both dipped a bit recently.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Alecto posted:

I'd be ASTOUNDED if Lib Dems and the Greens got a seat but not the Tories. Too much traditionally Tory countryside for them to not get a seat, i'd have thought, despite the UKIP appeal. It'll almost definitely be down to whether the Greens maintain their mid-May poll bump into Thursday that'd make the difference between the Greens and the Lib Dems. There also looked for a while like there was a chance of UKIP or Labour squeezing them both out for a third seat, but they've both dipped a bit recently.

Crap, I did forget the Tories, didn't I? Yeah, it's going to be 2/1/1/1/1, then, with Labour taking the second Tory seat; the Tories won't come first, or even second. McMillan-Scott is going to keep his seat, though; he's been adamantly pro-Europe since the 80s, which for a Tory candidate in Opposition to Blair, would've been suicide otherwise.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

We're with Sky, and I know other parts of the Murdoch omniphage are lovely, but they've been immensely reliable since we signed up, the connection is decently fast, and they explicitly disavow throttling, a policy which in my anecdotal experience they adhere to scrupulously.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Legally they're on incredibly shaky ground and so are you if you sign up for that.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got EE broadband and it's quite good, £17.75 a month for unlimited down/up, I think I get 20 meg speed or something just below. It's a bit cheaper because I get a discount being an EE mobile customer.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Legally they're on incredibly shaky ground and so are you if you sign up for that.

What is the legal definition of a service provider? Like, if you have a wireless AP in your house can you argue you're an ISP to anyone in receiving range (even if you give nobody the password)?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

StarkingBarfish posted:

What is the legal definition of a service provider? Like, if you have a wireless AP in your house can you argue you're an ISP to anyone in receiving range (even if you give nobody the password)?

It depends under which law you're talking about, and what it is you're actually trying to do by claiming that. The short answer is that doing so while not being an actual service provider grants you absolutely no protection and actually removes some protections you have when it comes to copyright infringement and other civil liability.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

StarkingBarfish posted:

If you want to be laughed out of court, go for it.
That's some gold-fringed-flags level of argument there.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Remember all that "Farage's career is over" stuff?

Yeah

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/labour-tory-poll-ratings-farage-attacks

quote:

Labour and Conservative polling is showing that attacks claiming Nigel Farage is a racist have backfired since voters do not regard him as such and see the assaults as a sign members of the political establishment are ganging up to undermine him.
The punditry are 0-2 in calling the death of his career now and I eagerly await their hat-trick.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ddraig posted:

I'm stuck using Three mobile Internet at the moment as it's the only thing I can get. They're getting increasingly lovely, though.

£15 a month on PAYG isn't too bad for unlimited data, provided you don't do anything like actually use it in which case you yet stuck with dial up speeds from 3pm to midnight.
I can only get a mobile signal at home on cloudy days, and even then it's a single bar of EDGE. I live in Surrey.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 21, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kin posted:

Virgin do this, but only with the top (XL) package which clocks in at £30 a month. My last place only had Virgin ADSL which cost me £32 (it included £15 for line rental) and at most (before i would trigger the bandwidth limit and get throttled) i could get 1MB/s a second, on average though it was like 500Kb/s :/

The new fibre connection comes with their new router/hub thing which is dual band and i get a consistent unlimited 12.7MB/s on that.

Basically, if you can get access to it, i'd say get the XL Virgin package (unless i'm missing something horrible about Virgin).

When an engineer from BT Openreach disconnected the phones during a maintenance visit and never turned them back on before he left, we contacted Virgin and told them this, the very next day at 8 am, a very embarrassed looking engineer turned up and didn't leave until everyone's phones and internet were back up.

Virgin have always been pretty chill to us.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Zephro posted:

Yeah

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/labour-tory-poll-ratings-farage-attacks

The punditry are 0-2 in calling the death of his career now and I eagerly await their hat-trick.

Which was the first time?

This is why the 'just give them enough airtime to shoot themselves in the foot' strategy isn't going to work with UKIP, because there's plenty of people who'll agree with their racism once it's 'exposed' :negative:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Answers Me posted:

Which was the first time?
When he decided not to stand in the Newark by-election and everyone said he was scared of losing and that this finally exposed him as a fraud. It made absolutely no difference to his polling.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Although Farage is a old racist arsehole you cant spent time echoing his position (albeit in a softer form) then turn round and say "that guy has valid concerns, but dont vote for him vote for me because hes a racist and Im not".

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The thing is, Farage is right about one thing - the other parties absolutely are cooperating to attack him. The problem is that, like some kind of video-game villain, doing that only makes him stronger by reinforcing his whole "crusading outsider" thing.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
This is what you get when you spend the last decade pandering to the "genuine concerns" of racist. This is what you get when your campaign team tells you to apoligize to bigots for calling them bigots. This is what you get for every time you promise to cut immigration as it were an ends in itself. This is what you get when you can't even attack UKIP in your campaign literature because you're afraid of alienating their supporters.

gently caress all the "centrist" politicians that have been drip feeding fascist ideology to the population for short term political gain.

Farage is not your enemy he is your shadow.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Why don't they just attack UKIPs actual loving policies? I have no idea where they stand on education and the economy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zephro posted:

Yeah

You want the media to be wrong about Farage's career ending?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lord Twisted posted:

Why don't they just attack UKIPs actual loving policies? I have no idea where they stand on education and the economy.

neither do ukip
they're a policy vacuum

when asked in an interview recently about the contents of their 2010 manifesto, and other stuff on their website Farage basically disavowed it all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I had the impression that this thread itself had come to the same conclusion during the disastrous UKIP-LibDem debate

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are the manifestos and "Issues" page on their website right now the old disavowed policies? The manifestos at least are labelled as being for 2014.

http://www.ukip.org/issues

I enjoy the number of redundant EU related policies. We will leave the EU. We will scrap this EU thing, and that other EU thing.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

quote:

At a rally later in Eastleigh, Hampshire, Farage quoted Gandhi as he dismissed criticism of his party by the political establishment and media. "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you … then you win," he said, predicting that Ukip would definitely come first in the European elections.

Farage is basically Gandhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got an iPhone contract with 3 and their mobile broadband has been pretty excellent overall. The only downside is that you have to pay extra for tethering, but the actual service is great. Being right next to their phone mast probably helps though.

marktheando posted:

Are the manifestos and "Issues" page on their website right now the old disavowed policies? The manifestos at least are labelled as being for 2014.

http://www.ukip.org/issues

I enjoy the number of redundant EU related policies. We will leave the EU. We will scrap this EU thing, and that other EU thing.

Everything on that page is ripe for being challenged, every bit of it unsubstantiated bollocks and I bet you that most UKIP candidates wouldn't have the knowledge or basic wherewithal to defend it if the main parties just called them out on it.

But as Lavender menace said, they've spent the last few years pandering to bigotry then haphazardly tried to appeal to both sides of the fence when it didn't work.

• Locked thread