Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The road has a center divider that stretches for 2 blocks so they couldn't really turn around even if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Son of a bitch I think I got popped by a speed camera tonight. Pulled away from an intersection, built some speed to get around a taxi, and then two brilliant world-ending flashes. If Chicago's going to start putting up speed cameras near me, driving a 100hp bike is going to get really old really fast.

Move to Denver. We're banning speed cameras, and you aren't in Chicago.

Also, I have all the tags on my bikes positioned in such a way that I can lean back and cover them up when passing speed cameras. No ticket, yet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

As a general rule, police are required to stop you (and any law-breaking in progress) as quickly as possible after witnessing the first infraction. For instance, they can't sit behind you for miles and miles, recording you while you rack up a speeding ticket for every speed limit sign you pass.

If they didn't turn around and give you a ticket on the spot, you're not going to get a ticket.

YMMV of course, but that's how it is around here.

When I was younger (and driving what looked like a red FWD sporty coupe), I got pulled over by a ghost car who sucked in behind me while I was doing 20 kph over, and waited for me to put on my turn signal to enter a community before he flipped on the lights. Dude was back there for a minute or two, definitely not a "you're over the limit right now, here have a ticket". I wonder if he was waiting for me to run the red or something.

Slavvy posted:

There are no cameras in NZ that can detect, let alone successfully photograph a motorcycle. :madmax:

I've deffo been photoradared on the bike. Or at least someone was who was wearing my gear and riding my bike. It happened in what must be the city's longest playground zone, which I do recall entering, and after some amount of time thinking "no playground zone is this long, I must have missed the Ends sign" and I rolled on the throttle.

I got the letter in the mail a few weeks later.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

Son of a bitch I think I got popped by a speed camera tonight. Pulled away from an intersection, built some speed to get around a taxi, and then two brilliant world-ending flashes. If Chicago's going to start putting up speed cameras near me, driving a 100hp bike is going to get really old really fast.

There's one on my way home from work. I may or may not ride as quickly as possible past it every single day to see the two flashes. I have no license plate on the front of my bike, you see.

On the way to work, I drive 25 past the thing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It definitely depends on the cop. I had one follow me for almost five miles across an island while I was going a steady 5-10 over the entire time.* He just told me to keep it slow and thanked me for not riding like a complete jackass.

*It was pre-dawn and still dark, so I didn't know it was a LEO behind me.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Keeping Chicago Safe :holy:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddamn screws in the road :argh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

americanzero4128 posted:

Keeping Chicago Safe :holy:

I'll check and see where the actual camera is. My bus goes past that intersection, and I definitely noticed a "Park Safety Zone - Speed Camera In Use" sign. I'm embarrassed I missed that last night.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, that picture reminds me of living in Raleigh. I got two rear flat tires in one season because I lived in an area with a shitload of independent contractors that made a living building the ridiculously rich yuppie Southerners their McMansions. This meant that every bump, curve or pothole would usually have something sharp and shiny nearby, as screws and nails fell out the back of their pickup trucks.

Thankfully the first one was at the beginning of the season and the second one was right when I was moving out (killed a joyous afternoon of riding though) so I was able to swear off the area and make sure I wouldn't live near work trucks in the next place I lived at. I actually lucked the hell out because both times were within a mile of my house, so I was able to safely limp the half-inflated tire home before it fully flattened. I figured that the powers that be had granted me two reprieves in a row, and promptly purchased a truck, a tailgate ramp and all the necessary straps in case there was a third time.

On reflection, Raleigh claimed three tires from me when I lived there - two rears on the VFR and one on the Mazdaspeed 3. Granted the 3's tire failure was my fault (rainy dark night, didn't see the divider in the road while making a left turn because someone took the marker out earlier) but I had only owned the stupid tires for about 50 miles at that point. A $200 lesson in making drat sure you turn wide enough there, and also never trusting the road.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh insurance companies you so funny.

Last year's premium - £279
Cheapest equivalent quote on Compare the Market - £254
Renewal quote (with "special return customer discount") - £391

Got them to knock £100 off and throw in free breakdown cover and protected NCB for a year to make up the difference with just a little bit of whining (mainly because that best quote was from Bennetts who have hosed me over twice in the past) but for fucks sake. I wonder how many people just blindly renew without even looking at the number or remembering what they paid last year.

I use Adelaide here in ireland but they're in the uk too.
https://www.adelaideinsurance.com/ I pay 200 euro for tpft on my DRZ with drive any bike cover. I think fully comp was only 280 but i was unemployed at last renewal so every penny counted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

echomadman posted:

I use Adelaide here in ireland but they're in the uk too.
https://www.adelaideinsurance.com/ I pay 200 euro for tpft on my DRZ with drive any bike cover. I think fully comp was only 280 but i was unemployed at last renewal so every penny counted.

Yeah, but I live in an area of London where they'll cut your head off if you think about money too hard, so I feel like that's a pretty reasonable rate.

(Never bothered with fully comp because the extra premium and excess are way more than I could normally hope to recover from a crash - that's probably a bit different now I don't have a fully-faired bike)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

If you dont have tubes put Ultraseal in them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puncturesafe-Ultraseal-Puncture-Prevention-kit-700ml-/180683028083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a118c3673

100% works, no balance issue, no mess like slime when you change the tyre, you can even reuse it. see a tyre run down to the cords over a year with three nails/screws still stuck in it and never lost any noticeable pressure. I had it in my SV and it saved me a few times when i picked up sharp objects filtering in the cruddy part of the shoulder.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, but I live in an area of London where they'll cut your head off if you think about money too hard, so I feel like that's a pretty reasonable rate.

(Never bothered with fully comp because the extra premium and excess are way more than I could normally hope to recover from a crash - that's probably a bit different now I don't have a fully-faired bike)

For me the drive any bike cover is the best part of it. I pay DRZ rates but i can hop on a mates fireblade any time i want. Before adelaide entered the market here you couldn't get that on a bike policy.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a spoked wheel, so there's a tube in there. Right now I'm looking for a shop that'll take it and patch the tube and possibly put one on the inside of the tire as well. That ought to do it.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

*It was pre-dawn and still dark, so I didn't know it was a LEO behind me.

The ability to recognize local LEO vehicle headlight patterns is valuable skill to hone.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am bummed they are finally replacing all those Crown Vics. I don't know the Caprice headlight pattern yet!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was so used to the crown vics of the local sheriff. Alas, Bainbridge Island has fancy cars I'd yet to adapt to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LifeSizePotato posted:

The ability to recognize local LEO vehicle headlight patterns is valuable skill to hone.

It basically replaced our need to instantly recognize predators eyes and faces and I'm sure has to be handled by the same part of the brain. To this day I can spot the "facial" pattern of a crown vic from a mile out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
In Socal half the cars are the usual Crown Victoria we all know and love, the other half are a mix of Chargers, SUVs, and poo poo. I'm so tired of slowing down for random Chargers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dude that pulled me over was a loving second-gen Dodge Intrepid. (It was a long time ago now.) We've got ghost cars that are fitted out to look exactly like all the contractor pickup trucks that are all over town - F150s with headache racks and tool bins made from diamondplate, and no external identification outisde of the LED flasher modules and a fleet sticker on the license plate.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Phy posted:

The dude that pulled me over was a loving second-gen Dodge Intrepid. (It was a long time ago now.) We've got ghost cars that are fitted out to look exactly like all the contractor pickup trucks that are all over town - F150s with headache racks and tool bins made from diamondplate, and no external identification outisde of the LED flasher modules and a fleet sticker on the license plate.

That's brutal. The cops in the rich little suburb I work in have an old boring Civic with darkly tinted windows. They mostly use it for burglary/drug stings but will pull you over for particularly bad traffic violations, as they're trying not to blow cover.

I would never have known this except I work with the PD in some capacity at times, and they'll come around and shoot the poo poo on quiet days. I always try to pump some info that might be, oh, useful in the prevention of crime/supermoto hooliganism :ninja:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I saw a dirty, several year old loving Dodge Caravan ghost car the other day. Fantastic camo, I must give them credit.

Also, for those that don't know in case you haven't figured it out, ghost car = unmarked police car.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Driven by cursed pirates, which is why it's such a pain when one pulls you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was driving through Seattle late one night, when this mad sick late 90's Suburban with a ridiculous tint and chrome wheels just stops in middle of the street for no drat reason.

I was about to just cut around it when it lit up like a goddamn Christmas Tree and 5 dudes in full SWAT getup burst out of it.

I decided to turn around and leave.

The worst thing about the death of the Crown Vic is that there's no "cop car" anymore, NYS patrol is going to Chevy SUV's and F-150's, a lot of departments are getting Chargers... all of which are popular civvie cars, and none of them have the distinctive marker-headlight-marker of a Vic, so you can't tell in your rearview either.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

No one knows how to make a cop car that was as good as the Crown Vic. Sure they can make them faster but cops complain about lack of room for driver and people in back, visibility, etc. Really I think its time to take a light truck frame, decrease ride height, and put some sort of boxy car body on there that maximizes interior room and visibility.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

No one knows how to make a cop car that was as good as the Crown Vic. Sure they can make them faster but cops complain about lack of room for driver and people in back, visibility, etc. Really I think its time to take a light truck frame, decrease ride height, and put some sort of boxy car body on there that maximizes interior room and visibility.

So....a crown victoria?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
To be clear, that won't happen, because it won't pass collision tests, pedestrian safety standards, or emissions / CAFE regs. I.e. exactly why the Crown Vic was killed off in the first place. The Yukon / Explorer SUVs are as close as you're going to get (because they have completely different CAFE standards.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

So....a crown victoria?

Yeah I think that's :thejoke:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The greatest thing about Crown Vics was that they were tough as hell, jump curbs, medians, PIT maneuver fleeing perps, they'd take that damage with maybe a new bolt-on fender. The Charger is cool, but it's really the last of the big American V8 sedans, the Taurus is too pricy, and the Malibu just... isn't a cop car. Additionally the need for cop cars to be fast is being obviated by helicopters, radios and roadblocks. SUVs provide better visibility, and more room for suspects and guns, and can jump curbs even better than a 'Vic.

The last great Body-on-frame cop car is dead and gone my friends. :cry:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Don't worry, with the trend as it is in the US, police forces will get special exemption and just start using military vehicles made for this market. Bulletproof boxes, maybe with a turret, totally wired with cameras.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Backov posted:

Don't worry, with the trend as it is in the US, police forces will get special exemption and just start using military vehicles made for this market. Bulletproof boxes, maybe with a turret, totally wired with cameras.

They already do that. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/04/18/congratulations-your-tiny-town-has-an-mrap-and-is-ready-for-war/

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pfff. Those towns got given those, our latest police chief bought our armour:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-17361790

We're a small rural island with around 65,000 population, there hasn't been a riot or any real kind of public disorder since about 1595. After they bought it they found out no-one on the force had the required license to drive a vehicle that heavy on our roads.

Game, set and match.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 21, 2014

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

"MRAP" really isn't descriptive considering there are at least seven base models made by at least three different manufacturers and dozens of variants designed for multiple different roles. Good luck finding replacement parts when they break down!

E: Looks like most of them are going with Caimans. The DOD dropped them for various reasons, but we sold most of them to the South Koreans.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 21, 2014

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
International IMGs have tons of parts bin stuff, I imagine others are similar

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just buy kastein one and he'll obsessively catalog every compatible part and how they work together.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

EX250 Type R posted:

I guess it'll be easier for police forces to replace things. poo poo, they use Caterpillar engines and tons of industrial internals. The DOD just likes to operate under "MUST BE SAME PART!" when something needs to be replaced.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

EX250 Type R posted:

EX250 already has three and a half of them

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

NY State Thruway now has Chargers. Did a double take today. Guess they're finally replacing all their Vics. Still a lot of SUVs though.

All police forces should drive Smart Cars IMO.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

DONT THEY GO AND CANT I DRIVE EM

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those honestly look like a warhammer orc vehicle or some poo poo that I drew when I was eleven.

It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when the police think of themselves as would-be combatants in an imaginary warzone against imaginary bad guys, as opposed to the civil servants they're theoretically meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Look at most of the uniforms that they have gone to. Around here, it's all black with MOLLE everything, looking more like swat/soldiers and acting like it too.

They also got an MRAP delivered recently as well, and we are a township with about 2,500 people. They are getting rid of their tracked armored personnel carrier since they have the MRAP, but still have a humvee to sport around in.

Here's it being delivered:
http://i.imgur.com/brpfTbj.jpg

Dellikose fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 22, 2014