Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Cerv posted:

neither do ukip
they're a policy vacuum

when asked in an interview recently about the contents of their 2010 manifesto, and other stuff on their website Farage basically disavowed it all.

There's bits of it here if you fancy a laugh.

http://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/01/watch-nigel-farage-doesnt-realise-how-terrible-his-own-partys-policies-are

e: dangit. .. 45 bc The Julian calendar takes effect for the first time.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack the Lad posted:

Farage is basically Gandhi.

Imagine the headlines if a hindu assassinates him

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Kin posted:

Basically, if you can get access to it, i'd say get the XL Virgin package (unless i'm missing something horrible about Virgin).

We left Virgin specifically because of cost (getting on for 50 quid a month) and the fact that we have other ways of watching our favourite shows legally, plus we had channels we didn't want anymore. They couldn't do us a nice deal despite having many years of unbroken service so now we're going Freeview/Netflix/iPlayer. Plus NHL streaming for ice hockey :)

Gone for BT for DSL just because the reconnection is free. After the minimum contract length we'll go with somebody else.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 21, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Answers Me posted:

Which was the first time?

This is why the 'just give them enough airtime to shoot themselves in the foot' strategy isn't going to work with UKIP, because there's plenty of people who'll agree with their racism once it's 'exposed' :negative:

I have a lot of nice people at where I work that are keen on UKIP and I went out for an Indian with a few of them last night. Politics did come up and the thing with Farage for them is he seems like an actual person, instead of a stiff politician.

I mean he's not the most charming person in the world, but the fact he isn't a talking point robot is the main thing they like about him. They couldn't give much of a poo poo about his policies because how often have they even been discussed properly?

Trying to nail him with Racism won't work, if they actually bothered to just eviscerate their lack of policy and knowledge maybe they'd get somewhere. Except the Conservatives won't do that because they tow similar lines in a lot of places and disproving an immigration problem or being Pro-EU isn't what their voters want to hear, Lib Dems and the Labour won't do that because why would they want UKIP to go away when its got the chance to badly damage the Conservative base?

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

thehustler posted:

We left Virgin specifically because of cost (getting on for 50 quid a month) and the fact that we have other ways of watching our favourite shows legally, plus we had channels we didn't want anymore. They couldn't do us a nice deal despite having many years of unbroken service so now we're going Freeview/Netflix/iPlayer. Plus NHL streaming for ice hockey :)

I'm surprised. Every time we've rang Virgin for a better deal we've gotten one. Last time we moved house (we weren't even threatening to leave), they gave us a "loyalty discount" which meant we had their top broadband package for £20/month for a year. We only get broadband from them.

Virgin Media are the only game in town if you want fast Internet that actually achieves what they advertise, and don't require a phone line, which might save people money.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Nevett posted:

Virgin Media are the only game in town if you want fast Internet that actually achieves what they advertise, and don't require a phone line, which might save people money.

Don't get me wrong I'm very, very sad to be losing their ridiculously fast connection. But couldn't justify the cost involved at all. Maybe in the future when I'm a little better off (took a paycut to move to Edinburgh from Preston because Preston is shite) we may go back. Then hopefully we can take advantage of a new customer deal or something.

We did try and get a decent deal but when we told them what we wanted everybody was all "nah you're paying a really good amount there" - the only thing we could do was to restart as a new customer but that had minimum contract length implications and we weren't sure if we wanted to commit to that.

Whatever, it's all cool now. 15MB down is fine.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I still can't believe line rental is an actual thing. Surely there must be some sort of Monopoly style law that could do something about every person with a phone line having to pay BT for it.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

The shittest thing about Virgin Media by far is how they advertise all of their packages and hide line rental costs.

It all looks like this:

GET BROADBAND AND PHONE FOR £20
GET TV, BROADBAND AND PHONE FOR £30
GET XXXL TV, XXXL BROADBAND AND PHONE FOR £40

*when you get a phone line for £15 per month

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Alecto posted:

If you, or anyone else, have seen single-constituency EU polling, a link would really make my day. I'll be having an extensive google tomorrow, but if that fails, I'd hate to end up with a filtered average of May polling or something like that.
I'm not aware of any region-level polling for places other than Scotland, Wales, and London, sorry. The most recent London polls were done by YouGov and Survation.

As for UKIP, I wouldn't worry about them too much - chances are that they'll have a brief moment of glory and then go down in a bickering infighting mess after failing to accomplish much of anything in much the same way as the BNP did after 2009 or the Tea Party in the US.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

thehustler posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm very, very sad to be losing their ridiculously fast connection. But couldn't justify the cost involved at all. Maybe in the future when I'm a little better off (took a paycut to move to Edinburgh from Preston because Preston is shite) we may go back. Then hopefully we can take advantage of a new customer deal or something.

We did try and get a decent deal but when we told them what we wanted everybody was all "nah you're paying a really good amount there" - the only thing we could do was to restart as a new customer but that had minimum contract length implications and we weren't sure if we wanted to commit to that.

Whatever, it's all cool now. 15MB down is fine.

1) Edinburgh Goon meet.

2) Yeah, i would have considered £30 a month for internet to be pretty steep but because i was having to pay more for that for their ADSL package it doesn't really feel as steep anymore. Plus, i kinda feel like it's worth it for the speeds i'm getting, i mean, I can download a Gigabyte in a minute which is crazy.

While not bending over backwards, they have been quite accommodating to me when moving house. Like knocking off cancellation fees or reducing the initial monthly installation costs.

I think the only time they've been a hassle is when i was when dealing with Indian service centre/customer service structure. My first contact was a woman from England who set it all up for me with the billing adjustments and whatnot, but my followup correspondence ended up with a few people that didn't have a clue about what the first lady had told me and they were rigidly sticking to their rules and contradicting everything the first lady told me she'd be setting up.

I don't think they've got any form of ticketing system in place to deal with inquiries or actions.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Virgin were great for me when I had them years back. We signed up for some thing where you paid line rental plus about two pounds a month for their broadband, and they only ever charged us the two pounds. After calling them up a couple of times to sort it out and never seeing any change we gave up and paid under 50 quid for two years of fast internet.

If you can get that deal I highly recommend it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Zephro posted:

The thing is, Farage is right about one thing - the other parties absolutely are cooperating to attack him. The problem is that, like some kind of video-game villain, doing that only makes him stronger by reinforcing his whole "crusading outsider" thing.

I'm beginning to think this is some grand neoliberal conspiratorial masterstroke between Cameron and Farage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crane Fist posted:

Imagine the headlines if a hindu assassinates him

Everyone would go dhoti.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

I still can't believe line rental is an actual thing. Surely there must be some sort of Monopoly style law that could do something about every person with a phone line having to pay BT for it.

Anyone's free to install their own last mile - it's just stupendously, ridiculously expensive to do so. Virgin, whatever the gently caress Kingston are called these days, and a few small other regional telephone companies on the various outlying islands have all done so, it just so happens BT inherited the (taxpayer-subsidised) infrastructure when they were privatised (and with it the universal service provision which they really loving hate).

The only absurdity here is that such a large natural monopoly was ever privatised, and renationalisation of Openreach (along with the other utilities) really should be point number 1 on any sensible manifesto because not only is there no improvement in having it in the private sector there's literally no possible way there *can* be improvement.

FWIW Openreach don't actually make much of a profit at all on the line rental. 10 quid a month (which is what Openreach get for maintaining your pair - the rest of it goes to your telco for maintaining the entire rest of their voice network) sounds a lot for a couple of quid's worth of copper but the last-mile network is huge, and hugely complex, and requires absolutely shitloads of supporting infrastructure and engineering. The USP really drives that up too - not everyone lives in new-build tower blocks where an engineer just turns up and plugs up jumpers already installed in the building to a trunk in a nice spacious duct. You pay that same 10 quid a month even if you live in a tin shack in the middle of the Cairngorms and they have to put up a hundred poles to get to you.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I started asking potential ukip voters why they'd vote for them to be MEPs, as MEPs don't have the power to remove the UK from the EU, but MPs do so they should vote for UKIP at the next general election. Also pointing out that The UKIPs don't participate with europarl so why not vote for another party who might milk the europeans for all their worth and get back some of are money etc..

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Lavender menace posted:

This is what you get when you spend the last decade pandering to the "genuine concerns" of racist. This is what you get when your campaign team tells you to apoligize to bigots for calling them bigots. This is what you get for every time you promise to cut immigration as it were an ends in itself. This is what you get when you can't even attack UKIP in your campaign literature because you're afraid of alienating their supporters.

gently caress all the "centrist" politicians that have been drip feeding fascist ideology to the population for short term political gain.

Farage is not your enemy he is your shadow.

I want to emptyquote this on every page forever

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm not aware of any region-level polling for places other than Scotland, Wales, and London, sorry. The most recent London polls were done by YouGov and Survation.

As for UKIP, I wouldn't worry about them too much - chances are that they'll have a brief moment of glory and then go down in a bickering infighting mess after failing to accomplish much of anything in much the same way as the BNP did after 2009 or the Tea Party in the US.

Thanks for that. I imagine if polls for the smaller individual English regions exist they'll be private internal party ones.

As for the Tea Party, they may not be winning many primaries anymore, but they effectively shut down the government for 4 years. That might not be what some of the more centrist voters that were taken in by them in 2010 wanted, but for sure it's what their core supporters wanted. They also continue to have a huge effect on the Overton window of the Republican party; for the first time in their careers senior Republicans are having to fight tooth and nail in what were previously very, very safe seats. To the extent where some established Republicans have to behave like Tea Partiers for fear of losing their next race. We might see a similar outcome with UKIP, where they don't get far nationally themselves, but pose strong challenges in 'safe' Southern Tory seats, forcing MPs to the right and to the racism, creating an ever widening gap between the ideologies of Tory MPs from 'safe' seats and those from marginals. It'd be interesting to see how our traditionally much stronger whip system would be able to cope with that, and to what extent the Tories would be able to keep electing leaders who would follow the centrism strategy if that happened.

The way the Democrats stemmed the tide in 2010 was to spend an ungodly amount of money making adverts stuffed full of Tea Party candidates' quotes. Yes, they were probably all racist and homophobic, but above all that, they were astoundingly stupid. The disasters they brought about in government after 2010 pretty much took care of the rest and now they can only win very conservative districts and put pressure on the party behind the scenes. I'm not really sure if UKIP are quite as outrageously stupid, so we might have to wait for the entropy-like effects of 'I voted for them last time, but nothing really changed so I don't think I'll bother this time.' that befalls every protest party who promise too much. Unless they actually do have a major, first-hand impact in which case we might all be hosed.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lavender menace posted:

This is what you get when your campaign team tells you to apoligize to bigots for calling them bigots.

I still get annoyed thinking about this, and the media's response to it. And that they called it bigotgate.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jedit posted:

You want the media to be wrong about Farage's career ending?
I want them to actually understand why UKIP is as popular as it is because otherwise it's just going to keep getting more popular*. A bad interview on a radio station that a few tens of thousands of people listen to is not going to finish Farage's career and it's amazing that people paid to comment on politics in this country can think it would.

*At least for a while. I think it'll crash and burn eventually.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 21, 2014

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Kin posted:

2) Yeah, i would have considered £30 a month for internet to be pretty steep but because i was having to pay more for that for their ADSL package it doesn't really feel as steep anymore. Plus, i kinda feel like it's worth it for the speeds i'm getting, i mean, I can download a Gigabyte in a minute which is crazy.

You guys are all having a laugh surely? Try living in bloody Gloucestershire and see how you get on with internet. I get 3Mbps on a good day, and that's with some serious tweaking at the router level to push the SNR down as low as it will possibly go. For this amazing 3Mbps down / 672Kbps up connection I pay the bargain price of... £31.49/month! I do get a 50GB allowance though, which luckily at 3Mbps is plenty because everything takes so bloody long to download you tend not to bother, so it's not all terrible.

It'd be nice if BT got off their arses and actually rolled out the super-fast broadband we've subsidised to the tune of millions. But no, having won every single tender countrywide, they are now rolling it out at the slowest rate humanly possible.

I'm not bitter about these things though, don't worry, so by all means keep moaning about how awful your £20 fibre connections are, you loving bastards.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 21, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

marktheando posted:

I still get annoyed thinking about this, and the media's response to it. And that they called it bigotgate.

I didn't really have much respect for Brown before that, but I certainly had less afterwards. Way to sell out principle for votes, Labour.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Loonytoad Quack posted:

You guys are all having a laugh surely? Try living in bloody Gloucestershire and see how you get on with internet. I get 3Mbps on a good day, and that's with some serious tweaking at the router level to push the SNR down as low as it will possibly go. For this amazing 3Mbps down / 672Kbps up connection I pay the bargain price of... £31.49/month! I do get a 50GB allowance though, which luckily at 3Mbps is plenty because everything takes so bloody long to download you tend not to bother, so it's not all terrible.

It'd be nice if BT got off their arses and actually rolled out the super-fast broadband we've subsidised to the tune of millions. But no, having won every single tender countrywide, they are now rolling it out at the slowest rate humanly possible.

I'm not bitter about these things though, don't worry, so by all means keep moaning about how awful your £20 fibre connections are, you loving bastards.

This sucks, but it also sucks to be in a fibre-enabled area (central loving Bristol!) and not be able to get it :gonk:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Reddit shitfest update: Some loving idiot posted part of the motherfucking Unabomber manifesto as a supporting point to proclaiming that the inevitable end of "liberal" thought in the UK is to have a Kristallnacht for UKIP and then the Conservative party.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/2641lb/ukip_candidate_stabbed_by_labour_supporters/chnhpdv?context=3

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

Reddit shitfest update: Some loving idiot posted part of the motherfucking Unabomber manifesto as a supporting point to proclaiming that the inevitable end of "liberal" thought in the UK is to have a Kristallnacht for UKIP and then the Conservative party.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/2641lb/ukip_candidate_stabbed_by_labour_supporters/chnhpdv?context=3

Like any liberal would do that. Worst they'd do is ruffle their Guardian at them rudely.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gonzo McFee posted:

Like any liberal would do that. Worst they'd do is ruffle their Guardian at them rudely.

Also, roll eyes and tut

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

mfcrocker posted:

This sucks, but it also sucks to be in a fibre-enabled area (central loving Bristol!) and not be able to get it :gonk:

Sucks I know my street has fibre-enabled. But the building I'm living in doesn't because the landlord is a cheapskate :gonk::hf::gonk:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zero Gravitas posted:

Does that poo poo have a trigger warning?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
We're supposed to care what random idiots on reddit think?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

UKIP's Scotland region MEP candidate tried to hold a press conference in a Tesco store cafe in Shettleston. About 10 kippers turned up, along with some protesters, then the manager called the police and kicked them out.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Somebody on YouTube just described Thatcher as a 'great lady'.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^That's a typo of 'grate lady', as in fit for burning (though not for turning).

Just got sent this link by the Respect For the Unemployed & Benefit Claimants campaign - http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/pcs_comment/index.cfm/campaigning-against-attacks-on-welfare
Seems the PCS Union at their DWP conference unanimously passed a motion which includes the abolition of workfare and the removal of benefit sanctions. Will this have any real impact, or is it simply something else for IDS to say he doesn't believe in so it doesn't exist/never happened?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Pissflaps posted:

Somebody on YouTube just described Thatcher as a 'great lady'.

Quite.

Reddit is poo poo - mostly because I don't understand it, but also because whenever it is mentioned it's some fedora wearing MRA getting super mad and basically gently caress those idiots.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Loonytoad Quack posted:

My tiny village in South Gloucestershire just got fibre. Loving my 60Mbps. ;p

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Serotonin posted:

My tiny village in South Gloucestershire just got fibre. Loving my 60Mbps. ;p

Ooh, whereabouts? I lived most of my childhood in a village in South Glos called Wickwar, ring any bells?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Is that like a freakish mirror warwick filled with witches and poo poo?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Loonytoad Quack posted:

We're getting fibre at some point this year, they've been wandering around the village (rural Argyll) digging holes over the last few months so hopefully it won't be too long.

We're with BT as it's the only supplier here and it's horribly expensive - about £45 a month all in. We use a hell a lot of it though with 5 people in the house streaming and downloading, average monthly use is 400GB.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ooh, whereabouts? I lived most of my childhood in a village in South Glos called Wickwar, ring any bells?

Yeah I know it well. Where I am is famous for its horse trials.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I will never get fibre because I don't live in a village. When the quasi-hobbyist who runs my ramshackle WISP croaks it I will literally be without internet at home.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

twoot posted:

UKIP's Scotland region MEP candidate tried to hold a press conference in a Tesco store cafe in Shettleston. About 10 kippers turned up, along with some protesters, then the manager called the police and kicked them out.

They're polling at around 9%, though, which is depressingly high while not actually being very high. That article makes it sound like they're a bit further off being a significant threat here in Scotland than I imagine they really are. They'd be quite likely to get in if we still had a seventh seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like UKIP have found a new angle for their race-baiting - Asian electoral fraud.

quote:

UKIP have found themselves at the centre of yet another election race row - this time in Oldham.

The anti-EU party has been reported to both the police and the Electoral Commission over a leaflet being distributed around much of the borough.

Its pamphlet - which Labour is blaming on Joe Fitzpatrick, one-time agent to shamed former MP Phil Woolas, but now a UKIP activist and candidate - appears to warn that Asian candidates are intent on rigging the poll.

It also suggests that the town hall solicitor is prepared to turn a blind eye to fraudulent ballot papers.

Among its tongue-in-cheek suggestions on 'how to win an election' are to 'count on the white folk not voting', as well as to 'steal postal votes'.

Oldham's Labour council leader has slammed the leaflet as 'gutter politics' designed to stir up racial division.

Jim McMahon - who is also named specifically on the pamphlet - said: "It is intended to create racial divisions in the town and tarnish the reputation of honest and hardworking public officials.

"UKIP nationally need to condemn this kind of campaigning because it brings the whole democratic process into disrepute.

"If they had any morals they would expel the candidates and agents involved.”

Oldham council's returning officer has now reported the party and Mr Fitzpatrick - who they say is behind the leaflet - to both the Electoral Commission and the police, Mr McMahon confirmed.

The storm has significance both due to its location - Oldham has a history of racial tension and has long been a key UKIP target - and the individuals involved.

Labour veteran Mr Fitzpatrick - who at one time served as a councillor in Lees - dramatically defected to UKIP a few weeks ago in the wake of an internal party row.

He is now standing for UKIP in the Oldham ward of St James.

But he has also been in the headlines before, as agent to then-Oldham and Saddleworth East MP Mr Woolas.

Mr Woolas was convicted following the last general election of lying on an leaflet about his Lib Dem opponent, including suggesting that he had courted Muslim extremists.

An email from Mr Fitzpatrick about his proposed election strategy for Mr Woolas was later discovered to have said at the time: "If we don't get the white folk angry, he's gone."

Neither UKIP nor Mr Fitzpatrick have yet responded to the MEN's requests for comment.

• Locked thread