Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

My favorite story about that is how Shaq claimed to have grown up reading Steel comics when hyping the movie. You know, the guy whose movie came out about two years after being introduced.

Even though it's not comics, the best "legitimately psyched to play a role" situation is Christopher Lambert as Raiden in Mortal Kombat. That dude was so jazzed about it and you can tell he had fun playing the character.

You got a link where I can see something of that? He was pretty great on the movie (and I guess that explains why he bailed on Anhilation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rhyno posted:

RDJ wasn't an Iron Man fan but he spent like $1000 on various Iron Man comics to find the characters voice.

"Oh, so this guy is just me, then? This should be easy."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

RDJ wasn't an Iron Man fan but he spent like $1000 on various Iron Man comics to find the characters voice.

I've heard Gwyneth Paltrow did something similar, except she just borrowed all the comics from Chris Martin.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You got a link where I can see something of that? He was pretty great on the movie (and I guess that explains why he bailed on Anhilation)

I was so bummed they killed Johnny off so early. He had the best one-liner in the first film.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What other celebrities are huge comic book fans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nic Cage, to his great detriment.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Vin Diesel is an enormous dork and was so stoked to be cast as Groot that he walked around the Fast and Furious 6 set in his mo-cap stilts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o4doL3fcN0

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

zoux posted:

Robin Williams is still a big fan, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CapnAndy posted:

Vin Diesel is an enormous dork and was so stoked to be cast as Groot that he walked around the Fast and Furious 6 set in his mo-cap stilts.

He convinced Dame Judy Dench to play D&D on the set of The Chronicles of Riddick

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Did he ever get his copy of Action #1 back?

And my point with David was that that interview was years and years after the fact and there's no indication that he'll ever be involved with the franchise again. He has no obligation to say he enjoyed it (and actors interviewed for that feature often DO poo poo on past roles).

I believe Ben Affleck is a legit comic nerd also. It's one thing to play Daredevil, but dude wrote the foreword to a DD trade for Marvel. Plus he's friends with Kevin "I named my daughter after a cartoon insane clown woman" Smith.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob's Burgers the comic book!!!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Samuel L. Jackson is one. He's also a big anime fan, apparently. Wu-Tang Clan are comic fans too. And possibly Quentin Tarantino? I think I've heard that Tarantino was big into comics.

bobkatt013 posted:

He convinced Dame Judy Dench to play D&D on the set of The Chronicles of Riddick

I've heard he convinced her to DM the game.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Seth Meyers :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Samuel L. Jackson is one. He's also a big anime fan, apparently. Wu-Tang Clan are comic fans too. And possibly Quentin Tarantino? I think I've heard that Tarantino was big into comics.

Oh, for any Brits, it's probably pretty well known that talk show host Jonathan Ross is a big comic geek (and occasional comic writer).

And Sam Jackson's nerd cred led to one of my favourite awkward moments I've seen/read in any publicity. During hype for the Avengers, some site was asking the cast, and Joss, I think, about bigger roles for women in comic book movies. So of course, Joss and Scarlett chime in... and then Sam pipes up and pitches a movie of The Pro.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

How's a comic going to sing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleepingbuddha posted:

You would think Marvel would have just given him the books.

Everyone seems to forget that only John Favreau was in RDJ's corner, he had to fight to get him cast.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Rhyno posted:

Everyone seems to forget that only John Favreau was in RDJ's corner, he had to fight to get him cast.

Are you saying he bought $1000 worth of books before he got the role? Because that is pretty cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Are you saying he bought $1000 worth of books before he got the role? Because that is pretty cool.

No, he'd been cast but he was still living under the cloud of his addiction. He was just doing his homework. I can't findit but there's a funny quote when someone told him about chap trades like the Essentials line. It's become a thing because he was seen buying Avengers comics when prepping to film that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Like you would say no to Vin Diesel.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What do people want to read for next month's book club? I'm taking nominations early on for June to get a good consensus and give people time to obtain the eventually selected book. I'll just keep a running tally of votes made here instead of making a separate poll thread or whatever.

My own nomination:

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi. An autobiographical work of a young girl growing up during the radically changing backdrop of Iran during its revolution and later war, it has been favorably compared to Art Spiegelman's Maus. This is the first half of Satrapi's memoir; if there's enough interest we could also include the second half, The Story of a Return, but I think the first book is enough material for one month. There's been a disappointing shortfall of female creators discussed in the book club so far, and I think this book provides a really unique and seldom heard perspective.

Also, if you have additional general comic-reading resources or any other information that you'd like to see added to the OP, post them here or PM me.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
This may shock you guys, but I'm pretty sure Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt are major comic book nerds. I have my sources.

CapnAndy posted:

poo poo like this is why he's #2 on my "celebrities I desperately want to pal around with" list. :allears:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Was Taters posted:

Seth Meyers :3:

Bill Hader, too. They co-wrote The Amazing Spider-Man: The Short Halloween one-shot, and Hader also wrote the introduction for one of Ed Brubaker's Incognito TPBs.

For the longest time, Seth Meyers' Twitter avatar was a sketch of Blue Beetle by Kevin Maguire, so he must have been a JLI fan back in the day, explaining a lot.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

Also, if you have additional general comic-reading resources or any other information that you'd like to see added to the OP, post them here or PM me.
You should also mention the movie, Satrapi seemed very hands-on on the dvd extras.

I haven't read it, so I can't nominate it in good faith but if you are interested in a discussion about female creators in comics there's Pretty in Ink, a book that tells the story of women on the comics field. Here's a summary from the amazon page

amazon posted:

Trina Robbins updates her seminal historical survey of female cartoonists for the 21st century — when female cartoonists such as Alison Bechdel, Lynda Barry, and Kate Beaton are at perhaps their highest profile.

With the 1896 publication of Rose O’Neill’s comic strip The Old Subscriber Calls, in Truth Magazine, American women entered the field of comics, and they never left it. But, you might not know that reading most of the comics histories out there. Trina Robbins has spent the last thirty years recording the accomplishments of a century of women cartoonists, and Pretty in Ink is her ultimate book, a revised, updated and rewritten history of women cartoonists, with more color illustrations than ever before, and with some startling new discoveries (such as a Native American woman cartoonist from the 1940s who was also a Corporal in the women’s army, and the revelation that a cartoonist included in all of Robbins’s previous histories was a man!) In the pages of Pretty in Ink you’ll find new photos and correspondence from cartoonists Ethel Hays and Edwina Dumm, and the true story of Golden Age comic book star Lily Renee, as intriguing as the comics she drew. Although the comics profession was dominated by men, there were far more women working in the profession throughout the 20th century than other histories indicate, and they have flourished in the 21st. Robbins not only documents the increasing relevance of women throughout the 20th century, with mainstream creators such as Ramona Fradon and Dale Messick and alternative cartoonists such as Lynda Barry, Carol Tyler, and Phoebe Gloeckner, but the latest generation of women cartoonists—Megan Kelso, Cathy Malkasian, Linda Medley, and Lilli Carré, among many others. Robbins is the preeminent historian of women comic artists; forget her previous histories: Pretty in Ink is her most comprehensive volume to date. Black & white illustrations with 48 pages of color

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Gaz-L posted:

Did he ever get his copy of Action #1 back?

He got the insurance money on it. They found it a couple years later, but he decided to keep the money so the insurance company auctioned it. I think his copy was the last copy sold that broke a record.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

I didn't really understand the manga argument anyway. I mean, reading right-to-left? That's not nearly as bad as it was dealing with Russian comic books back in the 80's.

In Soviet Russia, comics read you.

gently caress you.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtRCqxpyxnY

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Literally The Worst posted:

gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzX3tyHHMg

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

JSA Omnibus vol. 1 arrived today. It's a little bigger than I was expecting.

:stare:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sanschel posted:

:stare:

Mine should be here in a week.
Can't wait to sit it next to the Invisibles Omni and collapse my book case :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tarantino is definitely a comic fan, he's worked Silver Surfer into two movies. One he made himself (Reservoir Dogs has a huge loving poster in the background of a character's apartment, and it's quite intentional apparently), and Crimson Tide, which he did some script doctoring on and I believe he made Denzel Washington's character a Silver Surfer fan.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 21, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
True Romance (script by Tarantino) also has Christian Slater as a huge comics dork, who woos his hooker girlfriend with stories about Nick Fury comics.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tarantino is definitely a comic fan, he's worked Silver Surfer into two movies. One he made himself (Reservoir Dogs has a huge loving poster in the background of a character's apartment, and it's quite intentional apparently), and Crimson Tide, which he did some script doctoring on and I believe he made Denzel Washington's character a Silver Surfer fan.

And when one of Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs characters describes Joe (the big bald boss guy), he says he looks just like the Thing.

Freddy Newandyke: [asked by Holdaway to describe Joe Cabot] You remember the 'Fantastic Four'?

Holdaway: Yeah, with that invisible bitch, 'Flame On!' and that poo poo?

Freddy Newandyke: The Thing; motherfucker looks like The Thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sanschel posted:

Haha, yeah, it's taken the lead in the "most likely to destroy my bookshelves" competition. Apparently the second volume is going to be even bigger. :stare: Here's a picture I posted in the collected editions thread which compares it to my next-largest books. It dwarfs both of the Byrne books quite handily:

(Yes, that is season four of Sliders, all four Highlander sequels, and the complete series of seaQuest DSV. I'm sorry.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't see any Stargate DVDs on there...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't own any.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't own any.

Now you've failed this thread!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Now you've failed this thread!

One of these days I'll post a picture of the whole bookcase and fail the entire subforum.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

One of these days I'll post a picture of the whole bookcase and fail the entire subforum.

And on that day, Stephen Amell will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I'm just getting into comics. I finally managed to get the first two Hawkeye trades at my local comic shop. The only word I can think of is "fun". Everything so far's straight-up fun. Even though I'm new to comics, I do like that they're doing things that are interesting [to my inexperienced sense] with page layouts and storytelling, without it being A Serious Post-Watchmen Superhero Comic.

• Locked thread