Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
The cell voice on the latest Abridged makes me kind of wish that they had gone with a Zorak voice. Wouldn't have fit the creepy theme that they seem to be going for, but it would have also worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

They were on Toonami all right. I even taped them. Of course, classic Gundam bombed because 90s kids didn't want to see 1970s animation and it got cancelled before it even finished because 9/11 happened and the theme of the show is basically "war is hell". That, and I think kids were confused that First Gundam and G Gundam were different universes from Wing (and were totally different types of shows, to boot). It's sorta like how a bunch of kids in the states played Final Fantasy VII first and were pissed off that VIII and IX were not direct sequels even though the series had always been like that.

Original Gundam was so good too. When I was a kid, I liked Wing, but the first one just seemed so much better.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SerSpook posted:

Original Gundam was so good too. When I was a kid, I liked Wing, but the first one just seemed so much better.

It didn't just seem better, it WAS better. The animation was bad and the show was a goofy mix of pastel colors and 70s outfits, but the actual story and characters are infinitely better than what we got in Wing. It's a really hard sell for kids, though. They just waited too long to release Gundam in the states.

Gundam might have been a thing here if they had say, released MSG\Zeta\ZZ around the same time Harmony Gold dubbed Macross as Robotech, but it still probably wouldn't fly because Gundam is extremely dark compared to other cartoons on the air in the 80s.

They also tried to release Mazinger Z in the US and kids thought it was a ripoff of Voltron. Oh, the sad, sad irony.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thyrork posted:

Dont forget Pokemon and Digimon! :allears: ... Terrible times.

I guess there was Saturday night on the sci-fi channel, but some of that wasn't for young teens. Not at all nope. :stare:

Hahaaaa no poo poo. I see I wasn't the only one who as a youngin' blundered into Aeon Flux and Armitage III on Sci-Fi and was like "what the gently caress am I watching"

SerSpook posted:

Wing tends to beat original Gundam for a very simple reason, with the kids. Style. Just plain old style. OG Gundam is too hokey by comparison and Wing has some of the most killer mobile suit designs out there.

It's 100% style over substance but drat if it doesn't work.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Time fos some rap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MW9Nrg_kZU

Edit: I just found something interesting
http://kotaku.com/a-closer-look-at-dragon-ball-s-brilliance-1578356576

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 19, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
While we're talking about oddball poo poo from the early days of anime, I should throw out there that MTV used clips from loving Genocyber for a thing.

I have exactly zero clue how that happened, given that in the age of the Internet that show is best known for having a scene where small children get minigunned to death.

(Genocyber is just a really, really strange thing in general, but that's not a subject for this thread, so I'll leave it at that.)

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Interesting, this is something I always noticed and loved about the Dragonball manga. It flows so well and displays actions really clearly, and sets the pace and tone of scenes to the point where I sometimes misremember watching a scene instead of having read it. I love comics and looking at how artists display movement, and I've reread my DB manga several times just looking at the movement from panel to panel and just enjoying the art of it. Another fun thing to do is to watch a scene in the anime while also reading it; it really highlights how great Toriyama was at drawing fight scenes, it's a great example of how you make action flow in a still medium.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

While we're talking about oddball poo poo from the early days of anime, I should throw out there that MTV used clips from loving Genocyber for a thing.

I have exactly zero clue how that happened, given that in the age of the Internet that show is best known for having a scene where small children get minigunned to death.

(Genocyber is just a really, really strange thing in general, but that's not a subject for this thread, so I'll leave it at that.)

That's pretty amusing, thanks for the link.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember that. There was a bunch of them, too. I remember one where they re-dubbed all of the characters as members of the Jackson family, and Michael Jackson was a little kid. There was another one where you never saw any of the character's faces. I think these aired on MTV.

I'm not an anime nerd person; this is the only thread in ADTRW that i post in. But I admit to being really intrigued with anime back in the 90s because it was so mysterious. This was pre-Toonami, before the big anime avalanche that happened in the early 2000s when every freaking series that ever got made was being brought over. There was Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Ronin Warriors, and of course Dragon Ball Z (the "Next Dimension" dub). They were all syndicated and aired at really inconvenient times; I think I remember catching Dragon Ball at 6am Sunday morning. Each series looked different and yet there still seemed to be an "anime style" that they all shared and that made them distinct from the Western stuff I was watching. I noticed that a lot of video games had the same sort of aesthetic: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana, Street Fighter, and tons more.

There was something really neat and crisp about it. Like in DBZ when Raditz first meets Piccolo and is all like "Now it's my turn", and he raises his hand to form a blast, you see these concentric circles start to form around his hand and it just looked neato to me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Thank you for finding this, Ultracity 6060 was the best part of Cartoon Sushi.

Bleeping Standup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01A3yfAUyt4

Michael Jackson - "I'm white now too"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owcHPirBh84

Food Court (Iria) - "I must go to RadioShack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaLHafLbRk

The one they made with original animation that used every animation-saving trick in the book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNnL9hSEBU

Unfortunately no one seems to have the other GenoCyber one (We get cool masks!)

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
In TFS related news, it sounds like they got hounded again for Attack on Titan abridged to the point where it is now on indefinite hiatus :smith:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ZoninSilver posted:

In TFS related news, it sounds like they got hounded again for Attack on Titan abridged to the point where it is now on indefinite hiatus :smith:

Wait... the Attack on Titan abridged is on infinite hiatus, right? Not DBZ? ...Right?

Okay, I might be angry now. I've never seen Attack on Titan, but after the furry vore video and this I don't ever want to. :argh:

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wait... the Attack on Titan abridged is on infinite hiatus, right? Not DBZ? ...Right?

Okay, I might be angry now. I've never seen Attack on Titan, but after the furry vore video and this I don't ever want to. :argh:

DBZA is fine. They are working on Return of Cooler as well. Attack on Titan is on indefinite hiatus due to legal issues TFS cannot talk about it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cozz posted:

DBZA is fine. They are working on Return of Cooler as well. Attack on Titan is on indefinite hiatus due to legal issues TFS cannot talk about it.

Honestly I'm not surprised. Attack on Titan is still very new - a C&D was pretty much inevitable.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be honest, it's probably for the best. Their Titan vid was pretty drat dire on the humor front.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
If I was head of Toei I'd release Abridged on DVD and hire Teamfourstar to keep making episodes but with a real budget and better equipment. DBZA has gotten pretty huge and most of the work is already done. It'd be pure profit for Toei.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The aot abridged was surprisingly bad, so I'm okay with this

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The aot abridged was surprisingly bad,

I will fight you. :colbert:

Harmonize with me, maggot.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Titan Abridged was pretty funny, but given it came out before the official dub I had a feeling it was flying way too close to the sun. I'd rather they keep their heads down so they can keep making DBZA then try and latch on to whatever the newest and hottest trend is and risk getting shut down entirely.

That said, if somebody with the rights could pick them up to release an officially sanctioned version that would be pretty great. I'd buy the hell out of it. It'll never happen, but I'd buy it if it did.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it worked really way as a minor distraction, but I feel it's too soon in a few ways. It seems older material is better analyzed for making fun of.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of DBZA, the bit Kami raises before he merges with Piccolo about the dragon balls going inert, was that a plot point in the original? I forget. :shobon:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thyrork posted:

Speaking of DBZA, the bit Kami raises before he merges with Piccolo about the dragon balls going inert, was that a plot point in the original? I forget. :shobon:

Yeah, they get Dendi to replace him. Can't wait for the awkward conversations with Gohan.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, they get Dendi to replace him. Can't wait for the awkward conversations with Gohan.

He took time off from DOTA?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Glagha posted:

He took time off from DOTA?

It's why Navi has been in a slump...

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Thyrork posted:

In one of the few interesting and reasonable ideas GT has, when Piccolo and Kami unite a set of Dragon Balls made by The Nameless Namek are reactivated. But then GT happened.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GT was somewhat interesting up until the end of the baby arc. Then they decided to have the rest take place on earth because gently caress the grand tour.

To be more specific, it went bad about the time when they just sent baby to earth and showed him taking over, and then just did a "six months later" or w/e cause they ran out of planet ideas to have the dragonballs be on.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I liked the idea GT had, that all this wishing malarkey and death dodging finally had unavoidable consequences.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

GT was a hotbed of great ideas. But they were all so horribly executed. Bebi was a great villain, the Shenron arc was pretty brilliant on paper, Vegeta being a mustachio'd biker dad was hilarious, and SSj4 was a badass visual design.

But it's all dragged down by crappy dialogue, horrendous pacing, and over-utilization of Goku. I mean he's always going to be the one to save the day, we can accept that, but for the most part he's the only one who even bothers to put up a fight in GT. Everyone else just kind of stands around and occasionally offers exposition.

All this combined with Super 17 being lame as all hell and the Kid Goku sub-plot being stupid and failing to achieve its goal of evoking the original Dragonball, overshadows what could have been an amazing sequel series.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 22, 2014

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Esroc posted:

GT was a hotbed of great ideas. But they were all so horribly executed. Bebi was a great villain, the Shenron arc was pretty brilliant on paper, Vegeta being a mustachio'd biker dad was hilarious, and SSj4 was a badass visual design.

But it's all dragged down by crappy dialogue, horrendous pacing, and over-utilization of Goku. I mean he's always going to be the one to save the day, we can accept that, but for the most part he's the only one who even bothers to put up a fight in GT. Everyone else just kind of stands around and occasionally offers exposition.

All this combined with Super 17 being lame as all hell and the Kid Goku sub-plot being stupid and failing to achieve its goal of evoking the original Dragonball, overshadows what could have been an amazing sequel series.

So I have very little exposure to GT but I kind of wonder about the new characters in it. Do Pan and Uub ever get to do anything interesting? I mean, it kind of caught my attention because they introduce a "human" who manages to impress Goku (who from what little I can tell promptly falls into obscurity after the buildup from Z) and a female character who gets spotlight and could conceivably be useful or something because she's at least part saiyan, but they both seem to fall into the endless abyss of Goku's shadow like everyone else.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Glagha posted:

So I have very little exposure to GT but I kind of wonder about the new characters in it. Do Pan and Uub ever get to do anything interesting? I mean, it kind of caught my attention because they introduce a "human" who manages to impress Goku (who from what little I can tell promptly falls into obscurity after the buildup from Z) and a female character who gets spotlight and could conceivably be useful or something because she's at least part saiyan, but they both seem to fall into the endless abyss of Goku's shadow like everyone else.

Pan serves as an emotional anchor for Goku, facilitating his transformation to SSj4 and also serving as an audience stand-in for emotional exposition scenes. Otherwise, she mostly just follows Goku around and occasionally does something we're supposed to perceive as "badass" to prove she's a tough strong woman who don't need no man. All in all she's mostly forgettable and is the second weakest Saiyan on the show next to Bra.

Uub has little to no bearing on 90% of the plot of GT and is one of the bigger mistakes they made. He's almost entirely absent for the first third of the series, then gets a badass moment when he rejoins with Majin Buu but then gets his rear end handed to him by Bebi and goes right back to being a tertiary character again.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Both Pan and Uub are worthless, but Pan is also annoying.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

Both Pan and Uub are worthless, but Pan is also annoying.

Really every character in GT that isn't Goku is worthless. That's the biggest reason it failed so spectacularly. As I said in a previous post, we can accept that it's going to be Goku who ultimately beats the Big Bad. We're all fairly cool with that. But at least in DB and DBZ the other characters would get a few good punches in before Goku had to step in and clean house.

But in GT they almost universally just stand around and wait for Goku, or get so absolutely devastated right away that they cease to be a threat to the Big Bad immediately. I don't even recall anyone fighting the Non-Omega Shadow Dragons except Goku during that entire arc. And it took 60 episodes for Vegeta to do absolutely anything except be Bebi's bitch avatar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Esroc posted:

and SSj4 was a badass visual design

Woah now, let's not say anything we can't take back

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Woah now, let's not say anything we can't take back

gently caress you, SSj4 was awesome and one of the only bright spots of GT.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SS4 looked better than 3 but idk why goku is suddenly an adult in that form.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Esroc posted:

gently caress you, SSj4 was awesome and one of the only bright spots of GT.

It is literally the doofiest transformation. Fursuit and eyeliner.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is literally the doofiest transformation. Fursuit and eyeliner.

You don't get it! It's the true form of the Saiyans. A body that combines their Oozarhu and Human forms into one. An SSj4 is a true Saiyan as they were meant to be!

Namtab posted:

SS4 looked better than 3 but idk why goku is suddenly an adult in that form.

Because they wrote themselves into a corner when they made Goku a kid again and didn't want to man up and just reverse the process and admit their mistake. So they skirted around it by giving him a deus ex machina ability to be adult at will.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 22, 2014

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Esroc posted:

Really every character in GT that isn't Goku is worthless. That's the biggest reason it failed so spectacularly. As I said in a previous post, we can accept that it's going to be Goku who ultimately beats the Big Bad. We're all fairly cool with that. But at least in DB and DBZ the other characters would get a few good punches in before Goku had to step in and clean house.

But in GT they almost universally just stand around and wait for Goku, or get so absolutely devastated right away that they cease to be a threat to the Big Bad immediately. I don't even recall anyone fighting the Non-Omega Shadow Dragons except Goku during that entire arc. And it took 60 episodes for Vegeta to do absolutely anything except be Bebi's bitch avatar.

Eh, it's not even like that in the older series.

Dragon Ball followed Goku as the protagonist only, and therefore, he basically did everything.

Once the Z era started, it became a "group" manga, in which the current protagonist switched depending on the situation.

- it started with Piccolo equal to Goku, and taking out the first bad guy in combination with him
- Then everyone had to hold off Vegeta and Nappa and got a few moments before then to shine
- Then a combo of Krillen, Gohan, and Yaijorobee(!) took out Vegeta
- Then everyone but Goku had a chance to shine on Namek, with most of the big bad fight stages happening with them
- Goku took out Freeza
- Then Trunks took out Freeza/Cold
- Vegeta got to take out 19, Piccolo, kind of 20
- Piccolo got the big fight with 17, Vegeta and Piccolo got to fight Imperfect Cells
- Goku got to fight a 50% Cell for a bit, then Gohan ends up taking him out with a little side help
- Gohan fights Dabura, Vegeta Majin Buu
- Goku fights Majin for two seconds
- Gotenks fights Super Buu
- Gohan beats up Super Buu/gets beat up by Gotenks Buu
- Vegito beats up Gohan Buu
- Goku fights Kid Buu
- a combo of Goku, Vegeta, and Mr Satan (!) take out Kid Buu

It's pretty much the complete opposite of GT. Gt starts with some assists and minor villains that Trunks and Pan get to fight, and does have the dragons. but, in Z, all the main villains, outside of Freeza require assists, AND multiple people got to fight them and look good against various stages. GT turned into Dragon Ball with Goku doing EVERYTHING.

That's a weird Toei thing, though. Toei has a "everyone but Goku is useless" thing going on, to the point where movie 13 has a song called "if Goku can't do it, who can?" (The movie where Goku invents a technique out of nowhere and is more powerful than Gotenks and Gohan who are both more powerful than him) When Toriyama writes stuff now, Goku is in the background and the kids fight (Yo! Goku), or he sucks and just happens to get the powerup needed, and still loses to the bad guy (Battle of Gods).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Esroc posted:

You don't get it! It's the true form of the Saiyans. A body that combines their Oozarhu and Human forms into one. An SSj4 is a true Saiyan as they were meant to be!

I always liked that idea but the execution was... lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I still think Goku coming back for the Buu saga was a huge mistake.

• Locked thread