Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

If anyone is having difficulties getting the Grand Lance in Memory of Orro, set the jumping to the analog instead of using the B button like dumb me. I went from being frustrated as gently caress to nailing it first try.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

MooCowlian posted:

VGR 9
END 6
VIT 5
ATN 20
STR 20
DEX 9
ADP 8
INT 27
FTH 27

Part of my problem is that I'm starting to hurt from the vast majority of my points in Int/Fth, and therefore being low on the survival side, although that's partly just an issue of me not quite being good enough to deal with my enemies. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'm now trudging through the iron keep and it's almost game over if I aggro more than a couple of guys because I've got very little defence.

That was kind of the question. Even the heavy/great/heavy+great soul arrows aren't doing brilliantly. I need some better spells (whatever type), are there any that tend to be well reviewed or any that aren't worth the trouble?

What part of the game are you at? And what SL?

I'm at Earthen Peak w/ http://i.imgur.com/xUlFZPu.png and I've been loving sorcery. Between Soul Spear and Great Heavy Soul Arrow I do tons of damage, and if I need melee I have a Magic Mace I found recently that does crazy damage :)

As you'll note though, I also haven't been worrying about Hexes (I've only recently started trying to raise FTH, but not sure If it's worth the investment)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I managed to melee those lizards, but I feel like I accidentally abused a glitch or something. I managed to sprint/roll past the initial burst of fireballs and position myself just to the side of the lizard's mouth. Then, it would try to turn to face me again, but the physics would push me along as it turned, so it just ended up spinning in a circle while spitting fireballs at nothing until it died.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Opposing Farce posted:

You know I don't think there's anything in NG that can't be reasonably dealt with as a pure melee build (save those last two salamanders in the cardinal tower that just shoot rocks over and over and only give you a second in between bursts) but I don't think there's any good way to deal with the red phantoms leading up to the Undead Purgatory in NG+ without a bow to pull them down. It's a lot of fun to peel those dudes off one at a time and backstab them in NG but when there's no way to avoid pulling 4 at once good luck with that one.
You can lead them back to the narrow canyon where you enter that part, pull out a weapon with a good thrust attack, and have your own private Thermopylae. You should be able to take out a couple and damage the others before you have to retreat further.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FrickenMoron posted:

Homing lighting spear is a thing.

Had this happen to me. Only it was a Sunlight Spear so I was instant killed.

Was not amused.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Raygereio posted:

Then I'm curious how you dealt with the warpick+greatshield Drakekeepers in Dragon Shrine. I found them completely impossible to kill via melee. The one time I did manage it was thanks to the Drakekeeper's AI glitching out.

Dodge through their attacks, get a few hits in during their recovery frames, repeat until dead. That's how you deal with pretty much everything as a melee character and drakekeepers are no exception.

Plastic Mick posted:

You can pull the first two individually but the fatty drops down with the second guy and the last two always seem to come as a pair.

The first one seems to pull on his own, and with the fatty you can climb up to the top of that building before the bonfire and annoy him with a throwing knife to fight him one-on-one (not quite pure melee but eh), but I've never managed to avoid the other three guys coming down as a group.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

FrickenMoron posted:

Since you didn't roll, this is probably just a symptom of lag.
Basically, always roll

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Spells will go straight through walls and around corners as well, if they've targeted you. It's asinine. Like animator said, always roll. Never be not rolling.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Just started a new guy and thought I'd use the cracked red eye orb from Things Betwixt for laughs, used it at the first Heide Knight and dropped in on a guy in full Mad Warrior with a Moonlight Greatsword firing off Great Resonant Souls, I'm at soul memory of 6k, at least be a little discreet...

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So does sorcery kind of suck or is it just that miracles are really good?

I did a melee build my first time through, soloed all the bosses and that felt great. Then I did a STR/FTH build that was ridiculously easy because of lightning spears. I decided to do a mage build because I love the look of the MLGS but that thing doesn't hit very hard at all and can't be buffed. I can't really remember because I played Dark Souls 1 awhile ago but it seemed like you had a lot more casts of spells. Now I'm just plinking away at things with my dumb soul arrows. For the longest time I thought it was because I didn't have a good staff but I finally got the Staff of Wisdom +5 and even that didn't do much. Does sorcery get more powerful in NG+ when you can get more copies of spells or something?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BobbyK posted:

Does sorcery get more powerful in NG+ when you can get more copies of spells or something?

You can get multiple copies of several already.

I have 3 copies of Soul Arrow, 2 of either great or heavy soul arrow, 2 of Great Heavy Soul Arrow.

Add in the bonus casts from 40 ATN / 40 INT and I can throw a lot of spells out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few of the high end sorceries actually hit hard.

The advantages of sorcery are basically the high number of casts and the speed / homing nature, and none of those are highly desired in PvE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BobbyK posted:

I did a melee build my first time through, soloed all the bosses and that felt great. Then I did a STR/FTH build that was ridiculously easy because of lightning spears. I decided to do a mage build because I love the look of the MLGS but that thing doesn't hit very hard at all and can't be buffed. I can't really remember because I played Dark Souls 1 awhile ago but it seemed like you had a lot more casts of spells. Now I'm just plinking away at things with my dumb soul arrows. For the longest time I thought it was because I didn't have a good staff but I finally got the Staff of Wisdom +5 and even that didn't do much. Does sorcery get more powerful in NG+ when you can get more copies of spells or something?

Most hexes that do the same thing as sorceries do it better. Dark orb is stronger than great heavy soul arrow (and, oddly, great soul arrow is both faster and stronger than heavy soul arrow so there is never a reason to use it), great resonant soul is stronger than soul spear, as far as I know (I never hit anyone with it) affinity is stronger than soul mass. Soul greatsword and soul spear are useful because they fire off quickly and soul spear has more homing than orb/resonant soul, though. In pvp especially a soul mass followed by soul greatsword then ended with soul spear or GRS will do a load of damage. Darkstorm is also pretty useful, it's firestorm except anything near you is hurt instead of anyone standing near the pillars.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BobbyK posted:

Not very many things resist lightning damage and bosses are easy to hit. As previously discussed, sorceries have lower base damage in favour of being easier to hit with.

e; I'm going to give up on bluecops. The kill requirements are loving ridiculous, the rewards are pathetic and pointless except for WotG, it takes 5+mn of spamming blue orbs to get a bite and 80% of the people you invade are camping with two friendly phantoms to gank cops. gently caress that poo poo.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 21, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've just respecced to 50/50/50 int/faith/attunement. I'm going to get the dragon chime for miracles and I've got the archdrake staff for sorceries until I get staff of wisdom, but what is a good chime to use for hexes?

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Is there any way of telling which weapons upgrade to 200% base damage at max, and which upgrade to a greater or lesser %? Like, most small weapons appear to cap at 200% base damage while most Ultra Greatswords get to 250%, Greataxes stuck at 200% and some Great Hammers only get to 150%?? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I've just respecced to 50/50/50 int/faith/attunement. I'm going to get the dragon chime for miracles and I've got the archdrake staff for sorceries until I get staff of wisdom, but what is a good chime to use for hexes?

Idol's Chime is probably the easiest to get. Caitha's Chime is available a bit later, then the Chime of Want (maybe - edit).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Idol's Chime is probably the easiest to get. Caitha's Chime is available a bit later, then the Chime of Want.

I've already got Caitha's chime so I'll use that for now then. Its annoying that hexes need both staves and chimes, I want to be able to always have shield/binoculars in one hand and everything to attack in the other but have to stick the sunset staff in my left hand for hexes that need a staff

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose posted:

I've already got Caitha's chime so I'll use that for now then. Its annoying that hexes need both staves and chimes, I want to be able to always have shield/binoculars in one hand and everything to attack in the other but have to stick the sunset staff in my left hand for hexes that need a staff

You'll lose out on damage but you could always be lazy like me and get the black witch's staff in the undead crypt. It lets you use all sorceries, miracles, and hexes with the same catalyst.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like that you can only use the torch in the left hand, and you can only backstab with the right, just to make juggling weapons and slots more difficult.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You'll lose out on damage but you could always be lazy like me and get the black witch's staff in the undead crypt. It lets you use all sorceries, miracles, and hexes with the same catalyst.

Oh I'll do that then. I mean I doubt the damage difference will be that noticeable in NG PvE but having all my weapons on a single hand will make it a lot easier and I've just reached Undead Crypt

Edit: whats a good place to sunbro at around SM 2.2 million when I've yet to fight a boss in undead crypt. Demon of Song or something in Drangleic castle?

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 21, 2014

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jose posted:

Oh I'll do that then. I mean I doubt the damage difference will be that noticeable in NG PvE but having all my weapons on a single hand will make it a lot easier and I've just reached Undead Crypt

Edit: whats a good place to sunbro at around SM 2.2 million when I've yet to fight a boss in undead crypt. Demon of Song or something in Drangleic castle?

Most people abuse the double Dragonrider fight for sunbros, you'll get a lot of hits there for a long time, and the fight is ludicrously fast if you go in with some lightning spears.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

david... posted:

Most people abuse the double Dragonrider fight for sunbros, you'll get a lot of hits there for a long time, and the fight is ludicrously fast if you go in with some lightning spears.

Where abouts should I place my sign? I ended up accidentally taking summons to that fight without realising. I'm at the second Drangleic castle bonfire now hoping to get Looking glass Knight summons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose posted:

I thought the same thing, and while it's a little noticeable, it wasn't enough to make me want to swap to staff of wisdom/caitha's chime. You'll still need the pyromancy hand if you want to use pyromancies though. The staff drops off the casters down there. You can get the blue flame (sword that can cast sorceries) as a drop there too, so put on your item finding gear and rings and use a coin. Just make sure to infuse the black witch staff with your spell type of preference.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jose posted:

2.2M is really rather high for NG.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

immortal flow posted:

Is there any way of telling which weapons upgrade to 200% base damage at max, and which upgrade to a greater or lesser %? Like, most small weapons appear to cap at 200% base damage while most Ultra Greatswords get to 250%, Greataxes stuck at 200% and some Great Hammers only get to 150%?? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

It doesn't have anything to do with the type of weapon, it's determined by the upgrade material used. Regular titanite is 200% at +10, twinkling is 150% at +5 and petrified dragon bone is 250% at +5.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kazil posted:

I did a load of co-op farming Freja to get MLGS and Crystal Soul Spear. Probably gained around 800k souls in the end.

Is it common to be invaded by people who just hide? Stuck with an invader in Drangleic castle who I've not found and its annoying since I want to do co-op instead

Edit: Nevermind. Seems they were lagging so badly tehy only appeared as I died

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Small and Blue posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with the type of weapon, it's determined by the upgrade material used. Regular titanite is 200% at +10, twinkling is 150% at +5 and petrified dragon bone is 250% at +5.

Oh cool!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

kazil posted:

Even doing a small amount of farming is liable to land you into 2m territory in NG to be honest. I trainer'd my SM down from 1.8m to 1m on an alt that was PvPing to do PvE with my friends who were at 700k. Seriously, you get souls at a pretty ludicrous rate just doing anything for a time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've been using co-op before most new bosses unless I end up somewhere by accident like Prowling Magus to see what the fight is like. That alone gives you a ton of souls. Its tempting to use a trainer or whatever to knock 700k souls off but I really don't want to risk getting banned

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

kazil posted:

I did Velstadt up 4M SM this week. 1.7-2.4M I did demon of song. 2.2 is fine for late NG

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Jose posted:

Its tempting to use a trainer or whatever to knock 700k souls off but I really don't want to risk getting banned

From's servers are currently disconnected from any kind of VAC support, so this won't happen.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Just used the four early cracked red eye orbs you can get on a brand new character in NG, and two of the times managed to get a Blue Sentinel to defend the host, was really fun duking it out in low level gear at only a few thousand-odd soul memory.

Too late though. :unsmigghh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
From is just waiting to unveil their true monetization plan for DS2: in-app purchases for cracked orbs and reduction of soul memory.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

From's servers are currently disconnected from any kind of VAC support, so this won't happen.

Well I'm getting reasonably regular summons anyway. I suppose once you hit 2 million soul memory 25% is a pretty big window for them

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Last night, I did two things that I am ashamed of. To those of you who may be both the victims and readers of this thread, Slutty Jane (whom you probably knew as ****** Jane) apologizes.

Infraction number one: I Alt + F4 out of an invasion. Goddammit. Later on, I was in Harvest Valley. I just got invaded not five minutes previously when I was in the space with all the big dual-crescent wielding guys: on NG+, so there were the red phantoms there as well. I had just run to the back cave right before I got invaded, but I was pissed because I failed to get that stupid goddamn crystal lizard AGAIN, so I wasn't thinking straight - I should have just run out into the central area to fight where I wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage, but I DIDN'T, and of course I got whacked by the invader. Not saying it wasn't a fair fight; I was beat fair & square. That was invasion #1, just background. I wasn't too frustrated by it - I was more frustrated about the lizard, because now I have to get back in there again, but not two minutes later the batteries in my controller die and I stand there like a doofus and get flattened by one of those big green hammer guys.

Crap.

So, I grab my other controller, which had been plugged into my Xbox for charging for the last few days. I sync up with my PC on that controller, and as I'm standing there at the bonfire I get invaded again. I don't know if it was the same guy, but it was only about three minutes or so since the previous invasion. OK, I say to myself, let's ready up. I open my menu to change out my broken ring of life protection (that's the second one broken in as many minutes, if you're counting) for a fresh one. As I'm in the menu, my OTHER controller dies. I can't do a drat thing. I have no idea what the K+M keys are on the PC for this game. So, all in the name of preserving my stupid human state, I hit Alt + F4.

I hadn't done that before. It's a lovely thing to do. I hate it when people do that to me. I should have just let the invader kill me and then quit the game to go charge up my controllers. But, I didn't. My apologies to whomever I did this to.

Infraction number two: cheap-rear end ganking in a duel situation. With both of my Xbox controllers dead, I should have taken it as a sign to just quit for the night. Instead, I fire up the PS3. Running through Heide's...you don't really need help on this level, but it is enjoyable having other people with you to fight bosses because they get something out of it (whether it be a stone or some souls or a token or a medal or whatever they are trying to get). The level's so short, you might as well just pick someone up at the bonfire. I summoned a guy, we proceeded up the steps, and I killed that first Old Knight. Unfortunately, the Old Knight dropped an item on top of a red summon sign. Without paying attention to what I was doing, I summoned the red guy.

The red guy wasn't very good - I'd just killed him a minute or so ago when he invaded me - but he was at least friendly and waved on his way to fight me. I fight cheap when it's an invasion, and Great Lightning Spear from a +10 Lightning Dragon Chime is no joke. After I killed him at that first invasion I naturally used "mock," as is my common practice when invaded and I win.

But now, I had accidentally summoned him into a 2v1. I mean, I don't dislike unfair fights, but that's just plain lovely for a red sign summon, or anyone looking just for a duel. So, I decided to let my summon fight the guy while I stood back and watched. I figured my summon wouldn't let me take the guy on 1v1, and so I thought that this was probably the most fair thing to do. I mean, red guy had waved again and everything. So, they fought. I think my summon understood that I was going to stand back for that one based on the way the fight started, but I'm not sure. Anyway, barring my apparent treachery to the summon, it was a fair fight between the two. My summon got a few minor hits on the invader but was ultimately defeated. I then let the invader come at me, rather than just curbstomping him, but between the two of us I'm pretty sure that his setup just wasn't going to be able to beat mine unless I hosed up substantially - plus, he was only at 75% health by this time. I beat him again, and without even thinking, used "mock" again.

Goddammit I just felt bad. Bad for my summon because he wasn't being summoned to fight off invaders by himself, and bad to the red guy for duel summoning him to a 2v1 and then using "mock" like a shithead. Truly I don't believe in too much etiquette in this game, but this incident kind of made me look like an all around dick to both of you. I apologize. Luckily it didn't really cost either of you anything.

In most situations in this game I don't believe in fair fights - but there are those certain times that certain actions taken or omissions of those certain actions not taken make you look like either a real dick or a real pussy...I had all the genitals covered last night. I'm sorry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No matter how many times I do it, I still manage to botch the jump down into the Grave of Saints at least once per run.

david... posted:

Just used the four early cracked red eye orbs you can get on a brand new character in NG, and two of the times managed to get a Blue Sentinel to defend the host, was really fun duking it out in low level gear at only a few thousand-odd soul memory.

Too late though. :unsmigghh:

Super early invasions are fun just because literally nobody expects them. When Blue Sentinels actually get summoned they tend to act even more confused because they have no clue where to go, let alone fight.

Something I've also noticed is that early game coop buddies will straight up abandon the host and black crystal out when I invade. I have no idea why.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

kazil posted:

mmmmmmm not if you Bellboy or Ratbro, or even do quite a bit of Sunbroing. Those things add up pretty quick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if the offline death counter counts all the times I win as a red invader on the iron keep bridge and take a dive into the lava afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

You were naught but a blip in the shittiness that is DS2 invaders. Bellbros really are the worst. We're the goony thugs that shove people into burlap sacks and beat them behind a pile of barrels. So naturally I assume people will fight back just as dirty. Can't tell you how many times I've spawned in with a guy waiting right behind me or in front of me.