Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
drat.. those are highway robbery prices. I don't remember exactly what accessories came with our, but I believe it was a nest, plate setter, and a few other odds and ends, but they were going for $750 for Large if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Sellouts asked: "What's your question?"

I was mostly interested in what folks had to say about the various brands, sounds like its all BGE up in here

Dukket fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 2, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ya a few of us have BGEs. I just wondered if there was anything particular we could answer.

Honestly I don't have any experience with anything else in the ceramic cooker world so I can't help with comparisons. I love mine though.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

Ya a few of us have BGEs. I just wondered if there was anything particular we could answer.

Honestly I don't have any experience with anything else in the ceramic cooker world so I can't help with comparisons. I love mine though.

I was hoping to hear some comparisons or experiences with the other brands. There is plenty of Youtube love for the others, I was just looking for a goon perspective.
BGE's are certainly the most prevalent around here (Chicago), but I don't want to go that route just because its easy.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 3, 2014

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
FWIW, the Primos are still made in America, while BGEs are made in Mexico.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

sellouts posted:

US Home Depot had this sale price matched to Wal mart about 3 weeks ago. If anyone in US wants to try it the guy ringing up my purchase accepted a screenshot of the sale price. I purchased a similar amount. Royal oak is a great brand of lump, I've found it to be the best brand that is distributed nationwide. I would love to try some of the other kinds of highly rated lump but it never makes it near SoCal.

That is a good price, too bad I missed it. I'll hold out for the memorial day home depot/Lowe's sale, at which time I'm goinf to buy a goddam pallet of charcoal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dukket posted:

I was hoping to hear some comparisons or experiences with the other brands. There is plenty of Youtube love for the others, I was just looking for a goon perspective.
BGE's are certainly the most prevalent around here (Chicago), but I don't want to go that route just because its easy.

I believe all of the ceramic cookers more or less cook about the same, it comes down to which one fits your budget and how much aftermarket stuff you think you might want (bge wins that one too).

There's a bge thread on a Subaru forum which I follow and it has a few people who bought knock offs and they like them, fwiw.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I believe all of the ceramic cookers more or less cook about the same, it comes down to which one fits your budget and how much aftermarket stuff you think you might want (bge wins that one too).

There's a bge thread on a Subaru forum which I follow and it has a few people who bought knock offs and they like them, fwiw.

The number of accessories is kind of insane.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Saltin posted:

You will never use them again once you go to lump. I am surprised to hear competition people use briquettes at all, my impression is any BBQ joint worth its salt is essentially making its own lump by burning things like aged post oak, etc to what is essentially hot lump status.

I used to use lump and then I switched to briquettes mixed with chunks of dry wood, since I have a reeeally lovely Char-broil silver smoker as my setup it was way easier to control my temp that way.

I went to get a Weber smokey mountain when I get back to the states to go along with the Weber performer my wife is already babysitting for me.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Dukket posted:

Between my BGE and my weber kettle, I am positive I've spent more on grill accessories than both grills combined. cast iron Grates, stacking grates, stones, rotisserie kit.. I could go on.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

niss posted:

Between my BGE and my weber kettle, I am positive I've spent more on grill accessories than both grills combined. cast iron Grates, stacking grates, stones, rotisserie kit.. I could go on.

I was close to getting the cast iron grate for my Weber, but came to the conclusion that I wouldn't take care of it.

I am always on the cusp of getting the the rotisserie kit, but don't like the idea of of the clutter when it's not being used. If we owned a house it would be different, I think.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Dukket posted:

I was close to getting the cast iron grate for my Weber, but came to the conclusion that I wouldn't take care of it.

I am always on the cusp of getting the the rotisserie kit, but don't like the idea of of the clutter when it's not being used. If we owned a house it would be different, I think.

The rotisserie kit is amazing, well worth the money. However I will agree, it does take up a lot of room if you need to store it. Fortunately with my BGE the weber pretty much just does rotisserie so I just leave it on there all the time. It is nice to have if you need the extra height on the grill.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Tried the Cornell Chicken recipe from the WSM forums tonight. It was excellent but a little too salty. If I did it again I'd remove the salt from the cornell sauce since the chicken is brined anyway.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken3.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dukket posted:

Well, this is a review of a Vision (knockoff) by someone who owns a BGE:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2014/05/review-of-vision-grills-classic-b.html

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've got about 12lb of brisket smoking right now. Normally I smoke it for a few hours, braise it for another few then chuck the whole thing in a spare fridge overnight. But I got home far too late so I'm gonna have to try braising it overnight if I don't want to get up early on my day off.

And I don't.

Should it be fine at 250 degrees for 8-9 hours or am I gonna want to set it even lower?

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
I recently did my first brisket as well, 12lb(pre-trim) usda select. I threw it in my WSM and kept it at 240-250 for about 12.5 hours, at which point the meat temp was at 198F. There were some drier parts in the flat, but I was happy with the majority of it. I started checking it for probe tenderness when the meat was at 190F and even when I let it go to 198, things never felt very probe tender. I was checking multiple spots and things felt pretty even. The closest thing I can imagine it comparing it to is putting a skewer threw a cooked shrimp. Should I have let it go more? When cooking around 250F, is there a general window of time when a brisket goes from undercooked to overcooked? I wanted to let it go until things felt more tender, but I was too afraid of things overcooking and drying out. I'm wondering if I could have risked another couple degrees.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

^^^^^

How long did you let it rest? Thats a key part of making it tender. Ideally you want to rest it in a cooler or a warm oven for like 2 hours.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

^^^^^

How long did you let it rest? Thats a key part of making it tender. Ideally you want to rest it in a cooler or a warm oven for like 2 hours.

I let it rest over 2 hours. After taking it off the grill, I wrapped it in foil and let the temp drop to around 160 before wrapping it all in a towel. I didn't have a cooler, but it still kept warm enough. I think I'll risk it and leave it on longer next time. I just wish briskets were cheaper.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Dukket posted:

I found it more like "the number of things they nickel and dime you for" is insane. Near me it was $99.95 extra for a "nest" that the BGE is never pictured without on their own website, plus another $100 for a bunch of other stuff that comes standard with most smokers--granted, a ceramic cooker is more than just a smoker, but that's all I wanted it for--plus the only "authorized retailer" near me was trying to sell it for $150 over MSRP to begin with, which I wouldn't have known without hours of research beforehand.

I'd like to get a ceramic cooker someday, and there's no doubt in my mind that they produce awesome food, but BGE in particular needs to take some of the effort they put into "branding" and put it into being consumer-friendly.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
There is a Kamado komodo #7 on Craig's List for $500. Those things retail at $3200.

I'm so temped. I know someone who owns one and loooooovvvvveeesss it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I found it more like "the number of things they nickel and dime you for" is insane. Near me it was $99.95 extra for a "nest" that the BGE is never pictured without on their own website, plus another $100 for a bunch of other stuff that comes standard with most smokers--granted, a ceramic cooker is more than just a smoker, but that's all I wanted it for--plus the only "authorized retailer" near me was trying to sell it for $150 over MSRP to begin with, which I wouldn't have known without hours of research beforehand.

I'd like to get a ceramic cooker someday, and there's no doubt in my mind that they produce awesome food, but BGE in particular needs to take some of the effort they put into "branding" and put it into being consumer-friendly.

Definitely agree on the poor marketing and nickle dime treatment but the reason the nests are sold separately is because a lot of people decide to build or buy wooden tables to put their eggs in.

If you're getting jerked around by a local dealer try calling around. When i was looking to buy my first egg I emailed about 12 dealers to see who was having sales or deals.

most admitted they arent allowed to have sales but I was able to find a dealer who took a used one in on a trade for a larger, newer egg and he sold it to me cheap.

I got over 300 dollars off my XL egg that I bought in December by finding a sale in a sales tax free state.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you just want a smoker I wouldn't get a BGE. I mean they're great but pay the premium if you're going to use it for the stuff other (non ceramic) smokers literally can't do.

Also I built a table for less than a nest. There are easy plans online. I did buy the metal stand to stand it off of the pavestone but that was like 20 or 30 dollars and wasn't worth the hassle of fabricating it myself.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

If you just want a smoker I wouldn't get a BGE. I mean they're great but pay the premium if you're going to use it for the stuff other (non ceramic) smokers literally can't do.

I'm sorry, maybe its just because I haven't had any coffee yet, but could you clarify this statement?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Dukket posted:

I'm sorry, maybe its just because I haven't had any coffee yet, but could you clarify this statement?

I think he means if you are only interested in a smoker don't get an egg because they cost an arm and a leg because of everything else they are capable of doing. If you only want a smoker, but a dedicated smoker and save yourself many hundreds of dollars.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Dukket posted:

BGE / Ceramic cookers are great cause they can do many things really well. If you only are going to do low and slow, there are much cheaper options that produce just as good results. No reason to pay extra for the utility if you aren't going to use it.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

niss posted:

BGE / Ceramic cookers are great cause they can do many things really well. If you only are going to do low and slow, there are much cheaper options that produce just as good results. No reason to pay extra for the utility if you aren't going to use it.

Right, got it thanks

I want to smoke, grill and bake. The price is the reason I still don't have one, I've been eyeing them with curiosity for some time now.

But
-fourish months a year I grill five or more nights a week
-three or more months a year we can't bake inside
-After a few seasons of smoking with a Weber kettle and a crappy generic R2 unit (a gift) I know that I want an upgrade of some sort

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Dukket posted:

Right, got it thanks

I want to smoke, grill and bake. The price is the reason I still don't have one, I've been eyeing them with curiosity for some time now.

But
-fourish months a year I grill five or more nights a week
-three or more months a year we can't bake inside
-After a few seasons of smoking with a Weber kettle and a crappy generic R2 unit (a gift) I know that I want an upgrade of some sort

With a BGE/Ceramic grill you could take that 4 months and turn it into 12 months, assuming you can cope with the temperatures.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You are the perfect candidate for a ceramic cooker.

We also use ours 3-4 times a week. It is the easiest grill I've ever used. Hunt Craigslist and find a deal!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I cook all year round on my egg, even in -10C (14f) weather. I avoided doing things like pizza on the winter because the high heat temperature required me to be outside longer than 8-10 hour pulled pork cooks.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Baby-back ribs on the WSM. It's really annoying how the Weber rib rack doesn't actually fit a standard rack (at lest standard where I am) in the 18.5. I always need to bisect the rack and lay them flat.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

You are the perfect candidate for a ceramic cooker.

We also use ours 3-4 times a week. It is the easiest grill I've ever used. Hunt Craigslist and find a deal!

I'm temped on the Kamado Komodo I mentioned above - though my biggest problem is getting it home.

Fake edit: I checked and its gone...oh well, I'll keep an eye out.

So, what accessories do you guys like for your ceramic cookers?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm planning to buy a wok adapter from ceramicgrillstore once I get my poo poo together and finish up the wood table I started a few months ago.

I'd also like to buy a multi-rack setup from the same store but I don't know if I would use it enough to justify the extra money.

Another nice add on you can get are temp controllers, like a stoker or bbq guru. stoker seems to be the better model these days but i have an older bbq guru and it's fine for my uses.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plate setter was a must for me. I like the pizza stone. And the ash tool was very useful.

I also got 3 of the ceramic feet you put on potted plants and use those to elevate the grill above the fire ring sometimes. I also got a thing that allows me to put a medium grill above the large grill so I can have 2 layers of cooking. Both of those were like 3 dollars and not BGE official mods but totally useful.

I still need to soldier my heatermeter together...

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
The previous mentioned ceramicgrillstore is great, I've bought the wok setup (spider ring) and one of the multi tier racks as well. I also bought some nice cast iron grates from https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/ which are really handy with the removable sections.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I got a Vision Grills Classic for my birthday earlier this month, and I could finally take it for a test drive this past weekend. I threw some ribs on Friday night after work for a late dinner, and Saturday I smoked a pork shoulder at about 230° for about 7 hours before cranking it up to near 300° since it was almost 8:00 and we were supposed to be taking dinner over to my parents. Both of them turned out really great...especially for my first attempts at cooking either I used some of the Memphis Dust rub from amazingribs.com on both, and the ribs had some of the Kansas City BBQ sauce from AmazingRibs as well. Can't wait to keep going.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
It is that time of year again to hit up your local Lowes/Home Depot and stock up on charcoal for the year, not the normal $8.99 deal like it use to be but still good:

Lowes: Kingsford 2-Pack 20-lb (40lb) Charcoal Briquettes = $9.99 (Prices Valid 05/22/2014 - 05/28/2014)
Home Depot: Kingsford 2-Pack 20-lb (40lb) Charcoal Briquettes = $9.88 (Prices Valid 5/22/2014 - 6/01/2014)

Lowes is limiting the deal to two twin packs per customer, as mentioned already they are letting people get more however.
Home Depot has a limit of 10 bags per person.

*edit* Updated with Home Depots price

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 22, 2014

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

The Human Cow posted:

I got a Vision Grills Classic for my birthday earlier this month, and I could finally take it for a test drive this past weekend. I threw some ribs on Friday night after work for a late dinner, and Saturday I smoked a pork shoulder at about 230° for about 7 hours before cranking it up to near 300° since it was almost 8:00 and we were supposed to be taking dinner over to my parents. Both of them turned out really great...especially for my first attempts at cooking either I used some of the Memphis Dust rub from amazingribs.com on both, and the ribs had some of the Kansas City BBQ sauce from AmazingRibs as well. Can't wait to keep going.

That looks great! You should try the spiced apricot glaze from Amazingribs.com, it's insanely good on ribs.

Crazyeyes posted:

Baby-back ribs on the WSM. It's really annoying how the Weber rib rack doesn't actually fit a standard rack (at lest standard where I am) in the 18.5. I always need to bisect the rack and lay them flat.

I have an 18.5" WSM too. Good news is you have at least two solutions without cutting:

Skewers

Rib racks a different way

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Trialed my new kamado over the weekend, the Akorn.

I haven't acquired either the extra charcoal grill that would help me use a pizza stone as a heat deflector or the accessory smokin' stone, but wanted to try some side ribs anyways. Everything was great, except following the 3-2-1 rule ended up with a fairly dry result.

That's where the deflector and water pan will come in and fix things?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Looks like Lowes is limiting the deal to two twin packs per customer.

What a shame, I was gonna buy a pallet full. Guess I'll wait on the home depot price/limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So my wife was sweet enough to buy me a smoker for my birthday.

Only problem, it's a Brinkmann square upright. I've done two smokes with it and it seems impossible to keep the temp above 200. I know that's fine for some things, but obviously I would like to be able to get it hotter. So far the only mod I've made was to drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal pan. Any other suggestions for getting this thing to work better?