Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Is there no way to see how much damage twohanding adds? I don't see the numbers change. Same with weapon buffs, attack numbers are the same as base. Am I blind or this is some weird and jarring oversight considering all those things were shown in DS1? (And current HP, come on!).

Also I don't get the complaints about sorcery being weak. Sure, basic spells don't hit that hard, but my magic claymore +10 with appropriate magic weapon buff cuts through bosses like hot knife through butter. And Soul Greatsword is amazing. I guess miracles/hexes are even more OP? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

You were naught but a blip in the shittiness that is DS2 invaders. Bellbros really are the worst. We're the goony thugs that shove people into burlap sacks and beat them behind a pile of barrels. So naturally I assume people will fight back just as dirty. Can't tell you how many times I've spawned in with a guy waiting right behind me or in front of me.

Bellbros are the guys that pretend to be those barrels and then stab you in the back when you walk past.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is Soul Greatsword really that good? The cast time is overly long considering the range and the damage isn't amazing considering the low number of casts. It does look good though

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Jose posted:

Is Soul Greatsword really that good? The cast time is overly long considering the range and the damage isn't amazing considering the low number of casts. It does look good though

I do over 1k damage with it, it has long range and hits through stuff. Can be a great surprise in PvP.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Bellbros are the guys that pretend to be those barrels and then stab you in the back when you walk past.

Sure, you can be subtle. Or maybe you missed my post a page back or two-

Charge people as a flaming zealot, god yes. Once I finish my fire immunity set, I'll be golden.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jose posted:

It's good for PVP (read: good against people who don't know to roll behind you and stab you in the back) since it has a very wide range and slices through anything not named Magic Shield or Rebel's Greatshield.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It also casts pretty quickly and can be easily timed to fire off when the other guy's roll ends. What's your casting speed at? I ended the game near 300.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

MooCowlian posted:

VGR 9
END 6
VIT 5
ATN 20
STR 20
DEX 9
ADP 8
INT 27
FTH 27
That was kind of the question. Even the heavy/great/heavy+great soul arrows aren't doing brilliantly. I need some better spells (whatever type), are there any that tend to be well reviewed or any that aren't worth the trouble?

You're casting sorceries with hex stats, what do you expect? The majority of INT, FTH, STR, and DEX scaling occur from 30-40. Additionally, early options for sorcery catalysts are terrible, while Felkin will give you the best hex staff in the game right now. Get your INT/FTH to 30, talk to Felkin and Licia to get free gear, use all your twinkling on the Sunset Staff, get Darkstorm from the Magerold in Iron Keep. You also want to turn in 4 boss souls to Straid to get his hood.

If you want to do primarily sorceries, think about using a soul vessel to drop your faith. If you are going to continue with sorceries take INT to 40. Focus on the higher damage sorceries and utilities. Yearn is amazing. Your Pyromancy damage is also soft-capped at 30 INT/FTH so look into firestorm and flame swathe for some encounters.

Either way, put your next 30 pts into getting 50 ATT and use a bonfire ascetic on the Skeleton Lords (undead lockaway fire) to get the +2 casting speed ring. Since you have 20 STR, you should be able to compete quite well with that setup and a 100% block shield. Also, since you have 20 STR, look into dark enchanting your weapons and using Dark Weapon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It also casts pretty quickly and can be easily timed to fire off when the other guy's roll ends. What's your casting speed at? I ended the game near 300.

222. I mean its fun to use so I use it, but the damage just isn't as high as I'd like. Its at least a third weaker than crystal soul spear if not more

Since I'm at 50/50 faith/int should I use homing crystal soul mass or affinity?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose posted:

222. I mean its fun to use so I use it, but the damage just isn't as high as I'd like. Its at least a third weaker than crystal soul spear if not more

I never got CSS, that's pretty impressive then. Soul greatsword ended up one of my more powerful things to do in pvp.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Kaldaris posted:

You were naught but a blip in the shittiness that is DS2 invaders. Bellbros really are the worst. We're the goony thugs that shove people into burlap sacks and beat them behind a pile of barrels. So naturally I assume people will fight back just as dirty. Can't tell you how many times I've spawned in with a guy waiting right behind me or in front of me.

Oh, I loved being a Bellbro, as soon as I figured out how to get consistently summoned. And then I am not nice at all. Usually I will actually go through the trouble of waiting at the top of the Belfry Sol ladder until another Gray Phantom summons in...I mean, Bellbroing is about the lulz. At times I feel a little bad when a Belfry Luna fight turns into a 2v1 when somebody is just trying to get a summon for the Gargoyle fight, ESPECIALLY at that early point in the game (on NG), but at Belfry Sol? FUGGETABOUTIT. No rules in Belfry Sol.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

Sure, you can be subtle. Or maybe you missed my post a page back or two-

Charge people as a flaming zealot, god yes. Once I finish my fire immunity set, I'll be golden.

There's two bellbros though, so you doing that just lets the other one go for the stealth attack.

Getting titanite chunks has never been easier.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's two bellbros though, so you doing that just lets the other one go for the stealth attack.

Getting titanite chunks has never been easier.

I think the worst I ever felt about backstabbing a guy in the tower, was when I spawned right next to the fog gate just as he got to the second set of stairs. He sprinted past me, tears of desperation in his eyes. I reached out.

Tugged him from the Fog Gate.

VICTORY

I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Something I noticed about soul greatsword is it does more damage the closer you are to what you're hitting. The tip does like half damage.

I understand that great heavy soul arrow is the choice for plinking, and that (crystal) soul spear is the choice for good direct damage, but what's the consensus on the lesser mentioned spells for PvE? As far as I know:

Soul vortex: Way too long a cast time, and wildly inconsistent damage

(Great) Homing soul arrow: Pitiful damage and the regular arrows already track well enough

Soul bolt: Can put out soul geyser amounts of damage if you cast it point blank on a big guy and has more casts, but without a phantom to run interference for you guarantees you getting smashed in the face

Soul Shower: ??? Never actually tried it

Soul Spear Barrage: See soul shower

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Soul Shower: ??? Never actually tried it

Soul Spear Barrage: See soul shower

Shower is unbelievably finicky for not much payoff, but Barrage is pretty solid if you cast it in a hallway or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Soul shower is pretty worthless. Soul spear barrage didn't seem all that powerful to me, but I only used it at low levels. Soul vortex isn't bad but it seems to get caught on things really easily.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What would be a good infusion for the mannikin claws if I intend to use them in PvP? I figure poison would work well since they attack fast. Originally I was planning on making them bleed enchanted but apparently bleed sucks in this game.

I'm disappointed their power stance is just the caestus one though. I was hoping it would be more like how the actual claw mannikins attack.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

omeg posted:

I guess miracles/hexes are even more OP? :v:

Hexes,
Miracles,
Sorcery.

In terms of power. Pyromancy I'd put somewhere between Miracles and Sorcery, there's a fuckton of really bad spells, and a few ridiculously good ones.

The exception is that Sunlight Spear is hands down the best single target spell in the whole game.

:EDIT:

Trip report on my kamikaze.

Most people have no idea what to do about a burning man flinging a sword at them. Most spam roll, but Mirrah Greatsword's dash attack is a huge 360, I nail them all the time. Some people have figured out running is the only way to really deal with me, since I burn myself out. But I've won maybe 70% of my invasions while on fire now. It's the funniest thing to kill someone-- then immediately burn up after they die.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 21, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pyromancies are just a lot of fun to use between firestorm, fire whip, those poison/corrosion gimmicks, and forbidden sun. And they aren't bad even if you have minimal investment into those stats/upgrading the hand. Fireball/fire orb is total poo poo though.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

RBA Starblade posted:

Pyromancies are just a lot of fun to use between firestorm, fire whip, those poison/corrosion gimmicks, and forbidden sun. And they aren't bad even if you have minimal investment into those stats/upgrading the hand. Fireball/fire orb is total poo poo though.

Flame Swath is also easily one of the best dodge-bait spells in the game. Especially in a narrow corridor.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't cast crystal soul spear and resting at a bonfire isn't letting me either or refreshing the amount of spells I can use. Any idea whats happened? I was fighting the witches at the start of undead crypt for the staff and got poisoned if that matters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose posted:

I can't cast crystal soul spear and resting at a bonfire isn't letting me either or refreshing the amount of spells I can use. Any idea whats happened? I was fighting the witches at the start of undead crypt for the staff and got poisoned if that matters

Did some gear of yours(rings, black hood, etc.) that was increasing your stats break?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Did some gear of yours(rings, black hood, etc.) that was increasing your stats break?

That explains why I can't use crystal soul spear, I removed the Hexer's hood, not the bonfire's not working though

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Does Pyromancy reflect Casting Speed? I'm not in a position to test anything, but IIRC, a Fireball is gonna take a Fireball amount of time to get off. But I'd be totally stoked if I could pump my speed up to spit out four lingering flames in 4 seconds :getin:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Bogart posted:

Does Pyromancy reflect Casting Speed? I'm not in a position to test anything, but IIRC, a Fireball is gonna take a Fireball amount of time to get off. But I'd be totally stoked if I could pump my speed up to spit out four lingering flames in 4 seconds :getin:

Pyromancy is influenced by casting speed, yes.

Though I doubt if you'll get lingering flame to cast around a second. :raise:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jose posted:

That explains why I can't use crystal soul spear, I removed the Hexer's hood, not the bonfire's not working though

No idea. Maybe it's the world's slowest invasion? Try going somewhere else and coming back, or restarting the game.

quote:

Does Pyromancy reflect Casting Speed?

Yep. At 57 casting speed firestorm takes several seconds to fire off. On my melee char I've limited myself to flame weapon, which doesn't have its strength increase with scaling, only duration, and 4 casts is usually more than enough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

No idea. Maybe it's the world's slowest invasion? Try going somewhere else and coming back, or restarting the game.

Ported to Majula and nothing so dropped out to the main menu and went back in and still couldn't. Going to leave it for tonight anyway and hopefully its fixed tomorrow

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RBA Starblade posted:

Soul shower is pretty worthless. Soul spear barrage didn't seem all that powerful to me, but I only used it at low levels. Soul vortex isn't bad but it seems to get caught on things really easily.

The Z axis is no friend to Soul Vortex either.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But I want to be a cool traps-y Ratbro. :( No direct attacks, just Lingering Flames, Mists, and Chameleon. You know, the actual point of Ratbroing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

But I want to be a cool traps-y Ratbro. :( No direct attacks, just Lingering Flames, Mists, and Chameleon. You know, the actual point of Ratbroing.

Ugh I knew I could have been doing something else as a ratbro. I should buy more silver talismans.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Jose posted:

Ported to Majula and nothing so dropped out to the main menu and went back in and still couldn't. Going to leave it for tonight anyway and hopefully its fixed tomorrow

How many casts aren't being refreshed by resting? Because the Hexer's Hood grants extra casts of spells.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

There should be a fistbump gesture that makes the parrying sound if two players time it right.

Fromsoft, I'll take check or cash tia

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any tips on getting a bright pink for your character skin color? I've been trying but can't get anything satisfatory enough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

How many casts aren't being refreshed by resting? Because the Hexer's Hood grants extra casts of spells.

I don't think the hood was giving me anywhere near as many as were missing but I might be being that dumb :v:. Its been so long since I took it off I can't remember

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roctavian posted:

There should be a fistbump gesture that makes the parrying sound if two players time it right.

Fromsoft, I'll take check or cash tia

Parry with the katana and it should start playing Rules of Nature.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So my character has a big nose. Like, the biggest I managed to make. Most mask-type helmets just hide the nose entirely, but I was happy to find this was not the case with Creighton's mask. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone suggest some armor combinations I could use with the gyrm helmet (the one with horns) and santier's spear to make my character look like a valkyrie.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA

Was posted on Reddit, pretty gold, honestly.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Poise breaking and pushing off nerds who stay at the entrance of belfry luna with an UGS is really satisfying. Thank you cardboard box for recommending the black knight UGS the other day, it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just witnessed the dumbest attack I've seen in the game. I was fighting a manikin when out of nowhere when I had him in mid-combo he clipped behind me and slit my throat. After I killed it I just sat there dumbfounded at how badly animated and telegraphed the attack was. I literally had no sign they could even do that and nothing even indicated how to avoid such an attack. It just happened out of nowhere and boom, 1/2 of my health gone.

My friend was next to me at the time and was howling with laughter because both of us were in shock.