Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

The Lord Bude posted:

Asrock makes excellent boards as well - personally I'd never buy an MSI ITX board because they place the cpu socket too close to the PCIe slot and so break compatibility with most tower coolers. $180 is a more reasonable price for an impact - in Australia we pay over $300 for them - but there are cheaper options out there. Even if you go with z87 or z97 just for the wifi, you could still save a fair bit of money by buying an Asrock z87e-ITX or its impending replacement, the z97e-ITX are both excellent boards with good, intel based wireless AC (making it even better wifi than Asus, which doesn't use intel wifi). The asrock boards don't make you waste money on the super high end overclocking features of the Impact that you won't be using.

Okay, cool beans. I'll take a look at Asrock. I didn't realize that ASUS wasn't using Intel based wifi chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

njaa posted:

I chose GTX 760 over Radeon R9 270x due to multi-screen power consumption. Now the stupid question - although i chose a "non-oveclocking" motherboard, everything will still work with my factory overclocked graphics card, right?
An "overlocking" motherboard has to do with changing the bus speed for your CPU, and if your CPU is unlocked, you can also change the multiplier. Your video card is completely unrelated.

FoNX
Aug 15, 2004
meet the decline
Hi, I have a build from 2011, an amd phenom 2 955 BE, gigabyte motherboard, 8 gigs ram and a radeon hd6950.

I use this system for gaming on high settings at 1080p, and lately have begun feeling it's a bit long in the tooth. I do not have the budget for a whole new system, but would it be worth doing an incremental upgrade? If so using parts from the op, I could afford
either:
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX
Power Supply SeaSonic 550W ATX12V / EPS12V

or:
Case Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower
Motherboard ASRock B85M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
CPU Intel Core i5-4460

I am located in New Zealand so the cheaper line of haswell refresh motherboards are not readily available yet.
Would it be worth doing either of these options or would the rest of my system let me down? If that was the case then I would just save and start from scratch.
Thanks so much I know everybody doesn't have to reply to all these questions in this thread but they do and that's great!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

GramCracker posted:

Didn't actually think about it that way, thanks for the input!

edit: One last question, any particular reason you guys say to go with a total of 8GB over a total of 16GB for ram? Is it because the performance increase is so miniscule or am I missing something else?

Because very few computers actually use more than 8gb of ram so the performance increase is usually zero. There are exceptions, mostly work related. 3d modeling and virtual machines (generally) are two big ones

FoNX posted:

Hi, I have a build from 2011, an amd phenom 2 955 BE, gigabyte motherboard, 8 gigs ram and a radeon hd6950.

I use this system for gaming on high settings at 1080p, and lately have begun feeling it's a bit long in the tooth. I do not have the budget for a whole new system, but would it be worth doing an incremental upgrade? If so using parts from the op, I could afford
either:
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX

or:
Case Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower
Motherboard ASRock B85M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150
Memory Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
CPU Intel Core i5-4460

I am located in New Zealand so the cheaper line of haswell refresh motherboards are not readily available yet.
Would it be worth doing either of these options or would the rest of my system let me down? If that was the case then I would just save and start from scratch.
Thanks so much I know everybody doesn't have to reply to all these questions in this thread but they do and that's great!

Despite being AMD, a 770 and a SSD will be a much more noticeable improvement in my opinion. I'd still plan on replacing the mobo and cpu to really round it out. There will probably be a few exceptions as far as games that bottleneck at that CPU, but overall

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 21, 2014

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Ignoarints posted:

Because very few computers actually use more than 8gb of ram so the performance increase is usually zero. There are exceptions, mostly work related. 3d modeling and virtual machines (generally) are two big ones

Thanks for the clarification.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Sorry to keep asking all these questions, but I keep asking because I appreciate all the help I've been given so far!. I've just been discussing it back and forth with dad and such mainly. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the computer I've set up and a prebuilt one. A buddy has told me that the one I build will probably last a lot longer...

For comparison, something like this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3OeWv vs
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertr...0002_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=2

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Good Listener posted:

Sorry to keep asking all these questions, but I keep asking because I appreciate all the help I've been given so far!. I've just been discussing it back and forth with dad and such mainly. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the computer I've set up and a prebuilt one. A buddy has told me that the one I build will probably last a lot longer...

The best buy computer makes me want to cry. It is literally better to buy a playstation 4 and use your phone or something for internet.

There is almost nothing good about it. It has 8 gb of ram. Everything else sucks. That is probably one of the worst pre built computers for sale today I've ever personally seen.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Good Listener posted:

Well, mostly that the computer you built is good, and the one you linked from Best Buy is terrible.

For content: The best buy computer has a 5 year old AMD processor that wasn't all that great when it came out, an old video card that just barely will play anything, and guaranteed to have the lowest bottom of the barrel power supply and such.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It also has one of the most hideous cases I've seen in a while.

It's basically a bunch of old junk they had lying around at the back of a warehouse thrown together with a decent amount of RAM for no particular reason.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 21, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

quote:

Plus I get compliments on my sleek design and lights. So worth it, Now I can game at a competitive level. =)

the review on it

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Wow haha I had not even gone down and looked at the reviews. I will take this new knowledge with me though, thanks! I would ask if there's a way to take on of these pre-builds and soup it up better, but at that point, it's going to be better off just building it myself.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Good Listener posted:

Wow haha I had not even gone down and looked at the reviews. I will take this new knowledge with me though, thanks! I would ask if there's a way to take on of these pre-builds and soup it up better, but at that point, it's going to be better off just building it myself.

You can on some, however on that one it's "replace every part" except maybe the ram. Who knows, it might be slow rear end ram too.

Since you are trying to defend your original build to your dad:

Guaranteed:
- CPU is bad. We're talking like $40 maybe these days
- Graphics are bad, I'm assuming you want to play games
- Motherboard will be worthless for upgrades, and is almost certainly a total POS

Probably:
- PSU is likely to be cheap garbage
- Case probably sucks rear end

Unknown:
- Ram speed. Probably not 1600 mhz
- Hard drive. Wouldn't be surprised if it was old stock. Says its Sata II

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 21, 2014

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The cheapo option is to purchase directly from Dell's website. Get an inspiron with an i5, replace the power supply with something beefier and give it a new video card.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My ancient 5.1 surround system is finally dying. The sub is apparently blown and pops a lot, anyone have suggestions on a solid 5.1 system? Don't suggest headphones cause I loving hate headphones and attenuation is a thing that you can use. Looking at the Logitech z906 system but wondering what other folks are using. Budget is probably around 3-400 but I'm not opposed to spending less if there is something out there that is actually good.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

veedubfreak posted:

My ancient 5.1 surround system is finally dying. The sub is apparently blown and pops a lot, anyone have suggestions on a solid 5.1 system? Don't suggest headphones cause I loving hate headphones and attenuation is a thing that you can use. Looking at the Logitech z906 system but wondering what other folks are using. Budget is probably around 3-400 but I'm not opposed to spending less if there is something out there that is actually good.

5.1 systems on PCs is pretty solidly early-2000s. Most computer speakers people recommend these days would be high-quality 2.0 or 2.1 systems. For 5.1, it's usually recommended to go for a HT setup.

Self-powered systems often recommended in the PC Speakers Thread:

M Audio AV40 2.0
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 from Bestbuy. (reliability issues)
Audioengine A2(+)
Audioengine A5

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lolcano Eruption posted:

5.1 systems on PCs is pretty solidly early-2000s. Most computer speakers people recommend these days would be high-quality 2.0 or 2.1 systems. For 5.1, it's usually recommended to go for a HT setup.

Self-powered systems often recommended in the PC Speakers Thread:

M Audio AV40 2.0
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 from Bestbuy. (reliability issues)
Audioengine A2(+)
Audioengine A5

Thanks, I was poking around and didn't see a thread for speakers. And ya, this 5.1 set is probably 12 years old at this point.

Smear Campaign
Nov 3, 2003

destroy all dreamers with debt and depression
Hi! I'm putting together a new build to be able to do large screen (over HD but below 4k) and 3d gaming. Does this seem like a reasonable build? Should I step the PSU down 100W?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1281.91

Thanks!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

With your budget, look into stepping up to a 250GB EVO, it offers a lot more utility. The MSI 780 is better in every metric than the EVGA one, so I'd recommend swapping that out. The ram is overpriced but other than that it looks good.

You can easily buy one later but you should probably grab a hard drive, a WD blue or red (the red is quiet/NAS optimised but more expensive and slower).

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Smear Campaign posted:

Hi! I'm putting together a new build to be able to do large screen (over HD but below 4k) and 3d gaming. Does this seem like a reasonable build? Should I step the PSU down 100W?

Motherboard: Asus H97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1281.91

Thanks!

Those are some loose resolution terms but a 780 will do 1440p fine, it is a reasonable build, and you can drop the PSU a 100 watts if you want just make sure it has the power cables it needs for that video card

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

The MSI 780 is better in every metric than the EVGA one,

Wait it is? I thought there wasn't much better than that 780

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What is the difference between the Asus H97M-E/CSM and the Asus H97M-E Plus? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone's interested, I'm selling my GeForce 760 for $199 shipped: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636407

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

inkblottime posted:

Okay, cool beans. I'll take a look at Asrock. I didn't realize that ASUS wasn't using Intel based wifi chips.

Asus have their own line of WiFi products - the actual chip itself is Broadcom. Honestly Asus WiFi gear is admittedly the next best thing after Intel chips - Asus has had the top performing home router on the market for several years now - their products are really very good - but it's not worth paying for an impact just to get WiFi, slightly better than mobo sound and a couple extra fan headers.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
My newegg order of my ASRock Z97-itx/ac just arrived today. It was sprinkling a bit, but the package seemed mostly dry. However, the mobo box inside isn't shrink wrapped and is a bit scuffed on the top. My processor won't be arriving for another week or two most likely, so I can't really test it either. Should I be concerned? Looks okay in the anti-static wrap.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

ShaneB posted:

From The Lord Bude: EVGA cards tend to have coolers that cool the best in absolute terms, and overclock the highest, although they carefully bin their chips by overclocking potential to ensure all the best overclockers go into their more expensive premium editions. You'll get the overclocking potential that you pay for. EVGA has the best reputation for customer support, timely and generous RMA terms, etc. EVGA cards come with PrecisionX, which is literally the same software as afterburner with a different skin.

MSI has the quietest cooler, although it isn't quite as cool as the EVGA one (the difference is pretty much academic though).

Asus cards seem to have a more aggressive stock fan profile that can lead to loudness, but this can be dialed back in software. Gigabyte cards tend to be aimed at people who don't want to tweak their card - they often bring out the model with the highest out of the box overclock. They also have their own software for overclocking although under the hood it's more than likely the same thing that powers precisionX and afterburner.

Ultimately, read some reviews, try and find roundups that compare the same card across multiple brands, or read multiple reviews from the same site.

After reading this, if I were (hypothetically) going to consider getting a 770, how would I choose between these?

MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)

The reviews are all basically the same, the clock speed differences appear to be negligible (or easily overcome), and the prices are super close (though the EVGA does require the potential hassle of a rebate). It seems as though the brand differences mentioned above are fairly minor.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

marjorie posted:

After reading this, if I were (hypothetically) going to consider getting a 770, how would I choose between these?

MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)

The reviews are all basically the same, the clock speed differences appear to be negligible (or easily overcome), and the prices are super close (though the EVGA does require the potential hassle of a rebate). It seems as though the brand differences mentioned above are fairly minor.

MSI is considered having the best cooling solution right now and EVGA has the best warranty, so I'd probably crop out the Gigabyte first. I'd probably pick EVGA at the end of the day right now, a couple of degrees isn't going to make much difference.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I have decided to spend more money. How does this look?

Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.91 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.97 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($139.00 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys WMP600N 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Case from friend ($60.00)
Other: 500W rosewill power supply
Total: $1111.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-22 00:20 EDT-0400)

Can anyone recommend me a good micro atx case for $70-$90? Could I fit all this poo poo in a mini-itx?

playground tough fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 22, 2014

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Squirrel007 posted:

I have decided to spend more money. How does this look?

Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.91 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys WMP600N 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Case from friend ($60.00)
Other: 500W rosewill power supply
Total: $1111.80
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-22 00:20 EDT-0400)

Can anyone recommend me a good micro atx case for $70-$90? Could I fit all this poo poo in a mini-itx?

Get this instead of that Linksys one

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-wireless-network-card-62205anhmwdtx1

As for cases, you'd need to get a m-itx motherboard, which will raise the price of. You can't go wrong with the Corsair 350d, Cooler Master, Fractal Design, Nanoxia.

I don't know much about EVGA PSU's, but if you want to spend $20 more get a 80+ gold one with semi-modular cables.

DAMN NIGGA fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 22, 2014

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Can you guys see any reasons not to grab this guy? http://amzn.com/B00DPOIEDS

A local shop has it on sale for about $60. Planning making a budget gaming PC and it will be with a GTX 760 and an i5-4590.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

Get this instead of that Linksys one

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-wireless-network-card-62205anhmwdtx1

As for cases, you'd need to get a m-itx motherboard, which will raise the price of. You can't go wrong with the Corsair 350d, Cooler Master, Fractal Design, Nanoxia.

I don't know much about EVGA PSU's, but if you want to spend $20 more get a 80+ gold one with semi-modular cables.

Does that intel one just fit partially into one of the pci slots?

Heres the new build.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.25 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.24 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.99 @ Mwave)
Other: fractal design core ($39.99)
Total: $1179.38
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-22 01:29 EDT-0400)

playground tough fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 22, 2014

macoto
Jun 6, 2004
MACOTO YOU ARE UNBANNED MUCH TO YOUR DISMAY!!!!! CONSIDER YOURSELF SPITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! love uniball

ShaneB posted:

1. Are prebuilt systems any good?
If you'll only be using office apps and web browsing, prebuilt systems are cheaper than building yourself. The more powerful you want your system, the more advantageous it becomes to build your own.
If you want a pre-built office box, stay with big name companies like Dell, HP. If you want a prebuilt gaming system (which we don't recommend) Falcon Northwest and Origin PC are good choices. Smaller vendors will cut corners on important hardware, overcharge, or both. The Dell Outlet or Lenovo Outlet has particularly good deals on lower-end hardware.
If you're on a tiny budget but still want to game, a Dell Outlet Inspiron + Geforce 750/750ti is your best bet. It won't win awards but you'll be able to game at an acceptable framerate.
I'm about to be building 20-25 computers for a client and am looking for the lowest cost per box. The specs are:
1) Office Use
(What's up with Office 365? Guess I'll just tell them to pay for it)
2) Windows 8.1
(I'd prefer Pro for Remote Desktop, but it's not a dealbreaker)
3) With an SSD
(Because of course)
4) Small form factor is a plus but not required
(Sexy)

These will all be assembled / imaged locally and delivered locally.

So, I was looking at the Dell Inspiron models per the OP recommendations, but the first one has a Pentium???, the second one is last generation, and the third one strikes me as expensive...

FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF $399 posted:

Dell Outlet Inspiron 3847 Desktop
Processor: Intel Pentium 4th Generation G3220 (3M Cache, 3.0 GHz)
Windows 8.1
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
Dell Wireless-N 1705 + Bluetooth 4.0

FOR THE ALSO LOW PRICE OF $499 posted:

Dell Outlet Inspiron 660 Minitower
Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i5-3340 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
Dell DW1506 (802.11 b/g/n) WLAN half mini-Card
[other specs the same]

FOR THE NOT AS LOW PRICE OF $529 posted:

Dell Outlet Inspiron 3847 Desktop
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i3-4130 processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
Dell Wireless-N 1705 + Bluetooth 4.0
[other specs the same]
To any of these I'd want to add + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD ($85), so the "best" Dell with an i3 would be $615 shipped.

I was comparing these to buying all parts and assembling each computer from scratch or else compromising by using something like the Intel "Next Unit of Computing" (NUC) system:

NOW FOR JUST $289.99... posted:

Intel NUC D34010WYKH (Newegg link) CPU Mini / Booksize Barebone System
4th Generation Intel Core i3-4010U processor
Intel HD Graphics 4400
Dual channel SODIMM DDR3L 1333/1600 MHz, 1.35V
Mini HDMI 1.4a and Mini DisplayPort 1.2 with audio support
Fits a 2.5” hard drive
To compare to the Dells, I come up with NUC ($290) + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD ($85) + 4GB SO-DIMM 204-pin RAM, 1.35V ($40) + mini PCIe Wi-Fi adapter ($30) + Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (Logitech MK320 $40) + Mini Display Port to DVI Adapter ($25) + Windows 8.1 ($120) = $630 shipped

Or the even smaller form factor with the mSATA SSD version: NUC ($280) + 120GB mSATA HDD ($110) + the rest the same = (+$15) = $645 shipped

Optional add-ons are Windows 8.1 Pro (+$80) and 2x4GB RAM (+$40).

I don't count the "free" 1TB HDD as much as a feature with upgrading the Dell's since the end users will barely be using 30GB each. Although I could build one hell of a RAID array with 25 HDDs.

I haven't fully priced out building "my own NUC" (cheapest case + motherboard + PSU + CPU), though I imagine it would be a little more than an Intel NUC.

Thoughts?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
So I have more or less determined that recent power outages on my tower are due to a faulty power supply; the one I have is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190028

It's a few years old, but according to a lot of user reviews I've found since researching the problem, it seems like a pretty crappy model to begin with. My PC specs are laid out below, but basically I have a new Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit video card, which recommends a minimum 500 watt power supply. (By far the most power-demadning thing in the box.) CPU is an AMD quad core which takes another 95. I'm relatively new to tower construction so, I figure I should look at something in the area of 800-850 watts, just to stay on the safe side of power draw? What are some of the better brands/models of PSU you guys can recommend this setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 x Case Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition Gaming Case - Black
1 x Processor [= Quad Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X4 840 Quad-Core CPU
1 x Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
1 x Memory 8 GB [8 GB X1] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair
1 x Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit
1 x Motherboard [CrossFire] ASUS M4A87TD EVO -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16
1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface
1 x Power Supply 700 Watt -- Standard
1 x Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
0 x Data Hard Drive None
1 x Optical Drive 24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
0 x 2nd Optical Drive None
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Silver
0 x Meter Display None
0 x USB Expansion None
1 x Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
1 x Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

MSI is considered having the best cooling solution right now and EVGA has the best warranty, so I'd probably crop out the Gigabyte first. I'd probably pick EVGA at the end of the day right now, a couple of degrees isn't going to make much difference.

The temperature difference doesn't really matter, the 7-8DBa sound difference does. Also the MSI has just as fine as a warranty as the EVGA (transferable, allowed to remove coolers etc, same length), the difference comes from EVGA's rep for having good cs. MSI is often held in similar regard as far as waranty goes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BurritoJustice posted:

The temperature difference doesn't really matter, the 7-8DBa sound difference does. Also the MSI has just as fine as a warranty as the EVGA (transferable, allowed to remove coolers etc, same length), the difference comes from EVGA's rep for having good cs. MSI is often held in similar regard as far as waranty goes.

Are there any Z87/Z97 mATX motherboards with wifi? I have a friend looking to do SLI in a mATX case but so far I haven't been able to find anything.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Lemma posted:

So I have more or less determined that recent power outages on my tower are due to a faulty power supply; the one I have is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190028

It's a few years old, but according to a lot of user reviews I've found since researching the problem, it seems like a pretty crappy model to begin with. My PC specs are laid out below, but basically I have a new Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit video card, which recommends a minimum 500 watt power supply. (By far the most power-demadning thing in the box.) CPU is an AMD quad core which takes another 95. I'm relatively new to tower construction so, I figure I should look at something in the area of 800-850 watts, just to stay on the safe side of power draw? What are some of the better brands/models of PSU you guys can recommend this setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 x Case Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition Gaming Case - Black
1 x Processor [= Quad Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X4 840 Quad-Core CPU
1 x Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
1 x Memory 8 GB [8 GB X1] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair
1 x Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit
1 x Motherboard [CrossFire] ASUS M4A87TD EVO -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16
1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface
1 x Power Supply 700 Watt -- Standard
1 x Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
0 x Data Hard Drive None
1 x Optical Drive 24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
0 x 2nd Optical Drive None
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Silver
0 x Meter Display None
0 x USB Expansion None
1 x Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
1 x Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Your videocard hits 200 watts at peak, the 500+ watt warning is regarding lovely power supplies and keeping it safe.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm

This will be more than enough, I think you could even go lower to the 550 watt model.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
How overrated are PSU power recommendations? It is feasible to add up the TDP of an Intel CPU, the stated maximum power draw from GeForce website, add in ~50 watts (mobo, HDD, SSD) for the rest of the system and buy a quality PSU at that wattage?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SourKraut posted:

Are there any Z87/Z97 mATX motherboards with wifi? I have a friend looking to do SLI in a mATX case but so far I haven't been able to find anything.

I honestly cannot think of any, and I can't find any in searches. I believe the best you can do is get an Asus Z97 Gene and put an Intel WiFi card in the mPCI-E slot. You will need to source antennas though, and a way to route the antenna cables out of the case. I can't think of another option for mATX SlI + wifi. Consider a fullsize ATX case? Once you get into SLI it is often a better choice.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So I've detailed my dumbness in the general Hardware thread, so I've been looking for a new mobo/cpu.

Microcenter has the i5-4670k for $190, probably because of the new chip. Would it be better for me to wait for the new chip myself?

Since this was unplanned, I wanted to save as much as I can, but would a cheap Asus/Asrock H81 even) be good enough? Or should I pay for a Z87 board or something?

My current mobo has a ton of extras, but all I ever used was a few USB. I only have 2 hdd. So that's why I was wondering if I could cheap out on features.

Femur fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 22, 2014

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

drat NIGGA posted:

Your videocard hits 200 watts at peak, the 500+ watt warning is regarding lovely power supplies and keeping it safe.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm

This will be more than enough, I think you could even go lower to the 550 watt model.

Thanks for the recommendation, but can you explain how you know the peak is 200 watts? I looked at the product page and can't seem to find where it says that.

I looked at the sea sonic PSU and there's one thing I don't quite get. Under output it lists:

+3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V@54A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2.5A

These are all the different rails, right? The GPU/CPU are on the +12v one, correct? What does the one with the minus sign mean? What are all the other rails for, are they as important?

Lemma fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-9.html

First google result for "7950 peak wattage"

• Locked thread