Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

rydiafan posted:

(Flamethrowers) Thank God they are banned.

Actually, they're not banned. Just fairly obsolete. They're bulky, slow, and very short range. Precision explosives, incendiaries, fuel-air bombs, etc. have pretty much replaced them.

LogisticEarth has a new favorite as of 02:27 on May 21, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^pro snipe gif

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

He hates that lettuce SO MUCH

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
MAD ABOUT LETTUCE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

LogisticEarth posted:

Actually, they're not banned. Just fairly obsolete. They're bulky, slow, and very short range. Precision explosives, incendiaries, fuel-air bombs, etc. have pretty much replaced them.

Yeah. Flamethrowers are pretty much worthless for anything except jungle. What's up with that gif, btw?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If Im not mistaken that's from the Meet the Pyro movie, where it seems that Pyro sees the world as a candyland full of chubby fun friendlies instead of like, real people he's burning alive.

Of course TF2 and the Internet being what it is, was basically taken as confirmation of Pyro being a Proud Brony.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Travis343 posted:

If Im not mistaken that's from the Meet the Pyro movie, where it seems that Pyro sees the world as a candyland full of chubby fun friendlies instead of like, real people he's burning alive.

Of course TF2 and the Internet being what it is, was basically taken as confirmation of Pyro being a Proud Brony.

Scroll up and then go back to my post. :ssh:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

i'm dumb

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Peanut President posted:

Yeah. Flamethrowers are pretty much worthless for anything except jungle. What's up with that gif, btw?

Flamethrowers were great for clearing out pillboxes and trenches. The real things have MUCH better range than what you see in video games, you could arc a stream of fire over cover and into the firing slit of a bunker, splashing it off the walls and into those hard to reach places. Even if you didn't actually hit the soldiers inside, the smoke would make it impossible for them to shoot back and the fire would quickly consume all of the available oxygen, suffocating anyone who tried to stay at their post.

Civilian/hollywood/video game flamethrower use volatile, fast burning fuels like kerosene or natural gas to make flashy effects but military flamethrowers used a thicker, slower burning fuel. This stuff could be projected over longer distances, produced more smoke, splashed off of walls and flat surfaces and stuck to human skin a lot better than gasoline. It's basically napalm in a spray can.

Not a gif:

These days they're mostly used for clearing brush and kudzu.

Edit: Edit is not quote

Avulsion has a new favorite as of 06:37 on May 21, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hank Scorpio at the range testing out his flamethrower.

Mekchu has a new favorite as of 06:40 on May 21, 2014

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Looked into the Geneva Conventions. Turns out you guys are right; they aren't fully banned. They are, however, banned from use towards, around, or near civilians. This means the standard practice of blasting them blindly into a dark bunker or cave is illegal, because you can't say for sure there aren't innocent women and children down there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No it doesn't, because the Geneva Convention doesn't demand every country that is a party to it be impossibly psychic. It bans deploying them in an attack against civilians or on military targets located in civilian centres. If it's a machine gun nest located on the side of a strategic hill that just happens to have refugees in it then you're still allowed to hose it down. If it's a cave that enemy troops have escaped into that is also unknown to you inhabited by cave dwellers then you're still good.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
I can't find a gif, but if you are interested in gigantic flamethrowers there was a Time Team special that recreated one found on the Somme that was :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Y-_zt4Qe8

the whole thing's up on youtube

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

PlantRobot posted:

I can't find a gif, but if you are interested in gigantic flamethrowers there was a Time Team special that recreated one found on the Somme that was :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Y-_zt4Qe8

the whole thing's up on youtube

oh my... :magical:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ghostlight posted:

No it doesn't, because the Geneva Convention doesn't demand every country that is a party to it be impossibly psychic. It bans deploying them in an attack against civilians or on military targets located in civilian centres. If it's a machine gun nest located on the side of a strategic hill that just happens to have refugees in it then you're still allowed to hose it down. If it's a cave that enemy troops have escaped into that is also unknown to you inhabited by cave dwellers then you're still good.

They're also almost 100% unregulated for use by civilians in the US!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

They're also almost 100% unregulated for use by civilians in the US!

They count as agricultural equipment here.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Look, if you have kudzu you'll need at least a flamethrower.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

Look, if you have kudzu you'll need at least a flamethrower.

Goats with flamethrowers.

I found the best kudzu related gif

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The gently caress?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Its from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNiC9iKM0Q

JJ is doing a gig where if a fan donates some :10bux: they get a chance to win a part in the new Star Wars movie, this guy walks in the back ground.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Optical illusion - only the moving and rightmost static road are identical.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Watching Hackers to prepare for Watch Dogs:

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

minato posted:

Optical illusion - only the moving and rightmost static road are identical.
Ok, where's the illusion?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Look at the dashed lines in the center, when its on the left it looks pretty close to parallel to the center road, not so much when it moves right.

Pyro Fox
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

peepsalot posted:

Ok, where's the illusion?

This might help.

http://gif-explode.com/?explode=http://i.imgur.com/bIoCeKl.gif

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

who is this, and does he actually use the extra strings, or are they there to make him look like a complete wanker?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

More Hackers:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Inco posted:

who is this, and does he actually use the extra strings, or are they there to make him look like a complete wanker?

He's like one of them uppity piano players. Why you gotta have 88 keys if you ain't gonna hit more'n like 12 of em at a time, tops?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Look at the dashed lines in the center, when its on the left it looks pretty close to parallel to the center road, not so much when it moves right.

doesn't look illusion-y to me either :raise:

e:wait this isn't the dance meme thread

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:nms: (I guess?)

http://i.imgur.com/CW17s5C.gif
http://i.imgur.com/a3j6139.gif
http://i.imgur.com/nYeQVzF.gif (I have no idea wtf?)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bombadilillo posted:

My mind is broken because it looks the same on either side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

• Locked thread