Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

on a completely unrelated note, is there a way to reliably generate an emp that will shut down local electronics but doesn't involve explosions and shaped charges and poo poo

i'm asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

duTrieux. posted:

on a completely unrelated note, is there a way to reliably generate an emp that will shut down local electronics but doesn't involve explosions and shaped charges and poo poo

i'm asking for a friend

enjoy gitmo brought to you by frito-lay, terrorist scum

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

duTrieux. posted:

i'm asking for a friend

i binged up a herf gun made out of old microwaves but got nothing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

uncurable mlady posted:

self driving cars will avoid wrecks by automatically pulling off the road and stopping at a 7-11 until you buy something or watch a five minute advertisement for taquitos

can't wait for the first malicious ads that detect you have a low tank and direct you to the middle of nowhere where somebody waits charging $40 per gallon.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
you can block radio communications pretty easily with a noise generator, an amplifier, and an antenna, but damaging them is much much more difficult. Most electronics have current limiters on their front end receiver amps so you'd have a tough time damaging those, and getting a high enough electric field at any reasonable distance from you to cause an inductive current spike on a PCB would be pretty much impossible.

sorry

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the the google future drive by download will have a completely new meaning.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Stereotype posted:

you can block radio communications pretty easily with a noise generator, an amplifier, and an antenna, but damaging them is much much more difficult. Most electronics have current limiters on their front end receiver amps so you'd have a tough time damaging those, and getting a high enough electric field at any reasonable distance from you to cause an inductive current spike on a PCB would be pretty much impossible.

sorry

look, i don't care if it's impossible. i want either this or a device which projects a field of silence in a bubble around itself

~orders a half dozen supercaps and one of this belt clip static discharge thingies~

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

~dies~

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

at least you cant post

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I was in high school physics for our final project my friend and I were going to build a railgun but the teacher was pretty sure we'd hurt ourselves doing it so instead of actually building anything we just had to write a report about it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Caged posted:

at least you cant post

have you never seen the hit documentary ghostbusters?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

oh shi

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

get an old fat monitor and hit the degauss button

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cellphone/radio jammers are real and cool but will also get ur rear end arrested in the US

some countries install them in prisons/schools/legislature chambers (not kidding on the last one lol)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cygni posted:

cellphone/radio jammers are real and cool but will also get ur rear end arrested in the US

some countries install them in prisons/schools/legislature chambers (not kidding on the last one lol)

iirc a dude in florida got busted a few weeks ago for driving around with a cell phone jammer in his suv

they found him because metropcs noticed a lot of drops in a certain moving area over a period of time in the morning/afternoon, called the fcc, they set up monitors along the route and found him because he turned it on during his commute and took the same path each day

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i dont even know why you'd do that. if you don't want to be bothered by phones on your drive to work then turn your phone off.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so what you're telling me is that i can get somebody arrested by splicing a cell jammer into their car's electrical?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Caged posted:

i dont even know why you'd do that. if you don't want to be bothered by phones on your drive to work then turn your phone off.

"i'll show those rear end in a top hat who are on their phone while driving! i'll show them all

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

so what you're telling me is that i can get somebody arrested by splicing a cell jammer into their car's electrical?

yes

it's a federal felony at that, iirc

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

duTrieux. posted:

"i'll show those rear end in a top hat who are on their phone while driving! i'll show them all
same

a backpack sized one on public transportation would own for all the jerkwads talkin on they phone, but it would also block ppl just tryin to look at titties on their commute hmm

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

please dont get the security thread closed down aga.. oh

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
America isn't really the land of the free because I can't even distort the electromagnetic spectrum here without goin to jail

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

America isn't really the land of the free because I can't even distort the electromagnetic spectrum here without goin to jail

sure you can, just not at that wavelength

try at 500nm or so and you should be good to go

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
fuckin- l.m.a.o.

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming

gently caress google

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
oh i misread that at the bar and thought they started their own streaming service

oh well

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

oh i misread that at the bar and thought they started their own streaming service

oh well

why would that hurt google anyway

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hey
hey

gently caress google

quote:

The latest version of Chrome comes with the option to just say "OK Google" when opening a new tab or the Google homepage and to speak your query directly. Depending on the information being sought, Google might also respond by voice when returning the results. Though it's described as a universal update, the feature seems to only work for Chrome users with their language set to US English so far. You'll be prompted to enable it when visiting Google.com, or you can dig into the privacy settings of your browser to tick the checkbox.

"we'd like to listen to you all the time. ok? ok."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

why would anyone ever enable that feature?

what kind of company OKs dev time to make that feature?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

why would anyone ever enable that feature?

what kind of company OKs dev time to make that feature?

one that has the parts lying around and doesn't have enough management to say "don't do that it's banal" or "instead of that why not fix some problems affecting actual users lmao"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
p. sure that it's to lay some kind of groundwork for google rear end

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Install Windows posted:

why would that hurt google anyway

cuz they just bought twitch

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

chrome users who speak english with a particular pronunciation, have microphones, leave them turned on while browsing and are in a place where speaking the same words loudly and clearly aloud would be seen as acceptable, are said to be overjoyed at the announcement

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

imagine opening a new tab in chrome, but finding it easier to speak your search terms than typing them.

try really hard to imagine that, because i sure can't

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Pinterest Mom posted:

imagine opening a new tab in chrome, but finding it easier to speak your search terms than typing them.

try really hard to imagine that, because i sure can't

1) people with disabilities
2) that's it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

maybe i'm masturbating and opened a new tab with my mouse?

"OK Google. hot anime babes"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

come on, how the hell is this OK to do?

quote:

Independent music labels are at loggerheads with YouTube over the licensing terms for its upcoming streaming music subscription service.

The service – still not officially announced, but the subject of longstanding speculation within the music and technology industries – is expected to compete directly with Spotify, Deezer and their rivals.

Music industry trade association the Worldwide Independent Network (WIN) has accused YouTube of strong-arm negotiating tactics trying to force indie labels to sign up to the new service.

WIN, which represents independent labels worldwide, claims that YouTube is approaching labels directly with a "template contract" and threatening that if they do not sign it, all their music videos will be blocked on YouTube.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

oh no, not the labels

my heart weeps

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if you don't agree to the terms of use you aren't allowed to use the product

so why is this bad now? can't the indie label just tell youtube's nonexistent service to go gently caress itself and make a pandora channel or whatever the cool kids are using these days? or just put the videos up on the regular youtube anyway right next all the other technically-against-the-tos content?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indeed, how is it legal to not sell your product to someone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

its cool to require licensing for one product to use your other product where you have a near monopoly

Vimeo is the Linux on the desktop of video sites

• Locked thread