Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What the gently caress did the Warhammer thread do to win its latest title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Well, it is a game of fantasy battles.

:buddy:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Numenera is up on bundle of holding and the only think I know about it can be described as 'Monte Cook attempts to add FATE to D20 and doesn't quite get it'. The setting concept seems interesting and the art I've seen is wonderful, but a ~500 page corebook is mind boggling. What can the TG chat thread tell me about it?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ettin posted:

Well, it is a game of fantasy battles.

:buddy:

I assume he meant the Warhammer 40k thread?

And for Numenera There's a FATAL and Friends writeup. Very Monte Cook and doesn't get Fate. Setting is D&Desque postapocalypse and there's Caster Supremacy.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Tasoth posted:

Numenera is up on bundle of holding and the only think I know about it can be described as 'Monte Cook attempts to add FATE to D20 and doesn't quite get it'. The setting concept seems interesting and the art I've seen is wonderful, but a ~500 page corebook is mind boggling. What can the TG chat thread tell me about it?

It takes what should be a pretty interesting concept and marries it to a very D&D 3.x/00s game system with a few poorly integrated modern storygame concepts. It would have been a mildly interesting campaign setting for 3.x back in 2006, but its pretty dated from a mechanics perspective.

Setting wise, there are some interesting parts and a lot of really inspirational art. It comes across as a more consistently serious/darker Adventure Time! in concept and tone, but falls down because everything gets shoehorned into the very rigid system underlying the game. It's sort of a light version of 00s era mechanics-are-physics thinking; Cook at least tries for more free form approach but its not well articulated in either explanation or implementation.

The other two setting issues is that Cook explains too much about how things really work, which undercuts the sense of wonder quite a bit. There's also a lot of dumb sci-fi jargon added for flavor but really is just there as a thin paint job on the settings other core problem - Cook doesn't actually have a lot of imaginative magical science ideas. As a result, most of the Numenera aren't actually weird sufficiently advanced artifacts but are just standard technology with weird names. It often comes across as D&D but with ray guns, which is a real waste of potential. However, the bones of a more interesting setting are there if you're willing to do the work to build on them.

All that being said... For 20 bucks there's enough good in the books that you can harvest it for ideas for your own setting. Or if you play with a group that's stuck in the mid-00s and doesn't want to touch anything storygame oriented or post-3.x/Pathfinder, it's a game that will be familiar enough to get buy in if you're tired of standard D&D fantasy bullshit, though it takes some effort to keep it from falling backwards into D&D in a funny hat.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a twofer: Monte Cook fails to effectively grasp both the Dying Earth and storygames.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bieeardo posted:

It's a twofer: Monte Cook fails to effectively grasp both the Dying Earth and storygames.
It's more Gene Wolfe's New Sun books than Vance, but yeah you're right. A guy who made his career writing material for and editing the Rolemaster Companion series tries to make a rules-light FATE-style narrative fantasy storygame and, well, faceplants. It's kind of sad because he's trying real hard and has an obvious love for the material, it's just completely contrary to everything he's ever done in his entire life. It's the equivalent of Billy Joel or Paul McCartney deciding late in their careers to write and record a classical symphony.

Forums poster Tulul did a writeup of Numenera for a recent F&F thread, it's worth reading: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541453&userid=205838

E: Oh ho ho ho. You'll never guess who is credited as "Rules Developer" for this narrativist FATE-style storygame of fantasy and mystery. That's right, it's none other than Sean K. Reynolds. Suddenly, the misbegotten trainwreck of a system makes a lot more sense.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 18, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

neonchameleon posted:

I assume he meant the Warhammer 40k thread?

And for Numenera There's a FATAL and Friends writeup. Very Monte Cook and doesn't get Fate. Setting is D&Desque postapocalypse and there's Caster Supremacy.

Ettin is well aware of what I meant. He's just being cussed because, as per Australian mandate following the 1975 constitutional crisis where the country decided to remain as slaves to their godless monarch, his sense of humor was extracted at birth and replaced with a hatred of refugees.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FMguru posted:

It's more Gene Wolfe's New Sun books than Vance, but yeah you're right. A guy who made his career writing material for and editing the Rolemaster Companion series tries to make a rules-light FATE-style narrative fantasy storygame and, well, faceplants. It's kind of sad because he's trying real hard and has an obvious love for the material, it's just completely contrary to everything he's ever done in his entire life. It's the equivalent of Billy Joel or Paul McCartney deciding late in their careers to write and record a classical symphony.

Forums poster Tulul did a writeup of Numenera for a recent F&F thread, it's worth reading: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541453&userid=205838

E: Oh ho ho ho. You'll never guess who is credited as "Rules Developer" for this narrativist FATE-style storygame of fantasy and mystery. That's right, it's none other than Sean K. Reynolds. Suddenly, the misbegotten trainwreck of a system makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, found out he was working on that game when I stumbled across his review of it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Covok posted:

Yeah, found out he was working on that game when I stumbled across his review of it.

Ha ha ha, "Full disclosure, I co-authored this book. With that out of the way, let's get to my review."

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Oh, Sean, I don't like a lot of your games design, but I'm so sorry you have to deal with grognards every single day :smith:

On a lighter note, Gencon events can now be purchased, hope to see some of you painters there :3:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Re: Numenera bundle.

Would you say there's enough inspirational fluff to justify the $20 price tag? Because from what I've seen of the system gently caress it. I really, really hate your "do stuff pool" to be the same as your "not dying pool."

I also hate "spend your permanent advancement points on temporary stuff." gently caress that, too.

But the art makes me drool, and Cook's usually as good at settings as he is bad at mechanics, so I'm wondering how much that'd be worth it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Yalborap posted:

So, just throwing this out there. I'm loosely planning an X-COM inspired Apocalypse World game, PbP here in the game room forum. I don't have a thread up yet even for recruiting, since I'm still getting together the stuff I'll need and wrapping up some obligations so I feel comfortable I have the time to run the drat thing.

But the reason I'm saying stuff now is I'm gonna want at least a player or two who're new to Apoc World but eager to try it out. So I just want to kind of prime it in anyone's head, if you've been curious about Apoc World and don't mind trying it out with someone that hasn't done a PbP game in a long-rear end time, I actively want some rookies in there.

I'll be posting a heads-up here when I actually put up the recruitment thread, so you don't need to be watching like a hawk for it or anything.

I am super interested in trying out storygames. The group I played Old WoD with was very much into story telling over dice rolling and I have been reading a bunch of *World games and really like what I see.

What book should I buy to read up on the system? Just the base one or what?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

Re: Numenera bundle.

Would you say there's enough inspirational fluff to justify the $20 price tag?

If you haven't already, I would just skip the middleman and read The Book of the New Sun series instead if you're just looking for ideas.

The art is nice, tho.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just ignore Numenara until the Planescape: Torment spiritual sequel comes out; it is using Numenara as its mechanics/setting, so either it will be a titanic failure or it will suddenly make Monte Cook seem like a crossover gaming genius. I have infinite faith in Brian Fargo but uncertain faith in Monte Cook so we will see!

Weirdo posted:

On a lighter note, Gencon events can now be purchased, hope to see some of you painters there :3:
YES EVERYONE GO, C'MON

BEST TIME POSSIBLE TO HAVE EVER

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

bunnielab posted:

I am super interested in trying out storygames. The group I played Old WoD with was very much into story telling over dice rolling and I have been reading a bunch of *World games and really like what I see.

Just the base one :)

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Yeh, just Apocalypse World. Honestly, though it's kind of fiddly in how it's laid out, you could get like 90+% of what you need as a player from just the free playbook file.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bieeardo posted:

He wanted to write a more Vancian setting, but got confused and reprinted the SRD spell list.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://www.evanjeshka.com/monetize-games/ I like this post, it seems like a Good Idea.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Game pitch:

Primary method of resolution is flipping three coins, and requiring 1, 2 or 3 to be heads to succeed. The coins you flip are a penny, a dime, and a dollar coin (or your country's equivalent).

If any coin comes up tails, you can tip the game designer the value of the coin to change it to a heads. Pay 2 win!

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Game pitch:

Primary method of resolution is flipping three coins, and requiring 1, 2 or 3 to be heads to succeed. The coins you flip are a penny, a dime, and a dollar coin (or your country's equivalent).

If any coin comes up tails, you can tip the game designer the value of the coin to change it to a heads. Pay 2 win!

Man the next edition of Kingdom of Nothing got weird...

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Hey, guys. I ended up being too eager to start this thing, so I put the recruitment thread up earlier than planned.

Take a looksy, if you want to try some Apocalypse World action in the world of a failed X-COM campaign.

I've got a good feeling about this. Looking forward to seeing the sorts of things that come in.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

ATTN: WINSON PAINE where do i post recipes in traditional games now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

can't you do that on the ddrd thread i mean its not like exzippo is an IK there anymore.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I AM THE MOON posted:

Post them here

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

I AM THE MOON posted:

Yo I am seconding this question.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What are some rpgs aside from Castle Falkenstein that use cards as their system of resolution or as a major part of their game mechanics?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zerilan posted:

What are some rpgs aside from Castle Falkenstein that use cards as their system of resolution or as a major part of their game mechanics?

Poker deck, tarot, or bespoke?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Zerilan posted:

Savage Worlds uses them for initiative and special abilities which trigger off of getting a Joker.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Deadlands, Masterbook?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Deadlands I guess?

Also possibly some of the games from my contest.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Lace and Steel.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Warhammer Fantasy 3E.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zerilan posted:

Retrocausality.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Magic the Gathering

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

Game pitch:

In high school I made the basics of a game to be played on long cross country trips, using coin flips for everything. We never played it more than once or twice because :effort: but I think it's kind of a neat idea, are there any well-known coin-flip-based games?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
One edition of Conspiracy X used Zener ESP cards as part of the resolution system for psychic powers, meaning you had to use your psychic powers to use your psychic powers.

Everway uses a proprietary card deck, as did the weird CCG/RPG hybrid Dragon Storm, and the two SAGA system games, Dragonlance 5th age and Marvel Heroes.

The second edition of Heaven and Earth used cards for an alternate resolution mechanic for Tri-stat.

There's at least one spy-based Indy RPG that uses Baccarat as a resolution system, but I can't remember the name. Or how to actually play Baccarat.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pham Nuwen posted:

In high school I made the basics of a game to be played on long cross country trips, using coin flips for everything. We never played it more than once or twice because :effort: but I think it's kind of a neat idea, are there any well-known coin-flip-based games?
Prince Valiant (which owns)

Underworld (the Vampire heartbreaker by noted bon vivant, man about town, and beloved transmedia game designer Gareth Michael Skarka).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

FMguru posted:

Prince Valiant (which owns)

Underworld (the Vampire heartbreaker by noted bon vivant, man about town, and beloved transmedia game designer Gareth Michael Skarka).

Wait, there's a Prince Valiant game? Who by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wait, there's a Prince Valiant game? Who by?

Chaosium. Greg Stafford wanted to do a simple intro to Arthuriana RPG for kids, and so Prince Valiant.

• Locked thread