Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nope. This isn't like DS1. You neither lose Covenant progress nor rewards.

Oh awesome. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

kazil posted:

No. I would do the parry animation, and take zero damage, but he would not be staggered and would continue attacking.

As the host, I have no issues with parrying him.

If you slightly mistime a parry it's possible to get a kind of weird partial parry where you don't take any damage but your opponent doesn't get stunned either.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a question, can you put the Giant Kinship in the bottomless box so I can not have to fight the last boss immediately after the Throne Guardians? Mostly so I can finish the quest line with Benhart. Just noticed the mistake when sunbroing at the boss and got into a game where they went straight from the Throne of Want Guardians to the last boss.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Rirse posted:

I got a question, can you put the Giant Kinship in the bottomless box so I can not have to fight the last boss immediately after the Throne Guardians? Mostly so I can finish the quest line with Benhart. Just noticed the mistake when sunbroing at the boss and got into a game where they went straight from the Throne of Want Guardians to the last boss.

Couldnt you also kill the Throne duo, die to Nash, and then take Benhart in?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

kazil posted:

Couldnt you also kill the Throne duo, die to Nash, and then take Benhart in?

Yeah I think that might work. Also looking at the Dark Souls Wiki, it sounds like the final boss is the one you need to kill for it to count with him.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Rirse posted:

You could try. If not asceticing the congregation is an easy way to get another Benhart win. Giant lord isn't even too bad asceticed a couple timees if you have magic although it can take a couple tries if benhart get crushed by the head or an unlucky hit.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Fighting the Throne Duo with Benhart counts towards his quest *IF* you do not immediately fight Nashandra afterwards.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A much easier way of finishing Benhart's quest is chucking an ascetic in the Tseldora campsite fire and cramming a sword up Prowling Magus' rear end a second time.

edit: what LtSmash said.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

LtSmash posted:

Giant lord isn't even too bad asceticed a couple timees if you have magic although it can take a couple tries if benhart get crushed by the head or an unlucky hit.
Eventually you hit a point where the first two giants take long enough to kill that they do enough damage to leave Benhart rather beat up for the actual boss fight and you can't even heal him with a miracle because he just starts sprinting to the lord the second they're dead.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

^^^Ugh, yeah. Trying to fire off a heal between the giant lord's feet is frustrating as all get-out.

Rirse posted:

Yeah I think that might work. Also looking at the Dark Souls Wiki, it sounds like the final boss is the one you need to kill for it to count with him.

If none of the other solutions work/suit you, I have a mage character who'll never use the gear. I'll hand it over.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Eventually you hit a point where the first two giants take long enough to kill that they do enough damage to leave Benhart rather beat up for the actual boss fight and you can't even heal him with a miracle because he just starts sprinting to the lord the second they're dead.

If you take your time and actually kill the giants yourself (with Benhart helping of course) you can avoid having him beat up too much before you hit that invisible aggro-point where he will rush the Giant Lord.

I died a couple of times to the boss before I managed to figure out how to get Benhart to stop suiciding vs the small giants/rolling stone head/catapult shots.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I just revive the Magus and kill him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The giant lord is a complete pushover using the tried and true Vendrick Manuever: stay behind his left leg and all he'll do is halfheartedly try and step on you. Get a few bites in on his ankle and repeat ad infinitum.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

The giant lord is a complete pushover using the tried and true Vendrick Manuever: stay behind hos left leg and all he'll do is halfheartedly try and step on you. Get a few bites in on his ankle and repeat ad infinitum.

If you stand up on that ledge by going up the stairs next to him he can only do one attack, not even the shockwave one.

Please do yourselves a favor and don't fight the Giant Lord where the firebombs fall, thread. Just say no to being immolated.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
At what point will you inherit his gear? When he's past the Pursuer room? Or inside the Memory?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

The giant lord is a complete pushover using the tried and true Vendrick Manuever: stay behind his left leg and all he'll do is halfheartedly try and step on you. Get a few bites in on his ankle and repeat ad infinitum.

Blackest and most forbidden martial art of the inscrutable east, Humping Beagle Style. Hump dat leg for victory.

It's the only way (for enemies with the body type of the Last Giant).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you stand up on that ledge by going up the stairs next to him he can only do one attack, not even the shockwave one.

Please do yourselves a favor and don't fight the Giant Lord where the firebombs fall, thread. Just say no to being immolated.

I didn't even notice any firebombs doing my thing but maybe that's just because I'm so awesome.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I thought I was safe, so I left the game running while I went away from the computer for a few minutes

apparently I wasn't safe, so I died. the last bonfire I used was the one at Sinner's Rise. so I was repeatedly dying to the archers there who knows how many times for about ten minutes.

well, there goes the 100k souls I was carrying. :suicide:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Cardboard Box posted:

I thought I was safe, so I left the game running while I went away from the computer for a few minutes

apparently I wasn't safe, so I died. the last bonfire I used was the one at Sinner's Rise. so I was repeatedly dying to the archers there who knows how many times for about ten minutes.

well, there goes the 100k souls I was carrying. :suicide:

Gotta keep them bones on you for emergencies man.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I didn't even notice any firebombs doing my thing but maybe that's just because I'm so awesome.

If you run to where the boss is standing, that's a safe spot. Anywhere else from where the head stops rolling to that area is in the bombing area.

I mean, I say firebombs but I don't mean like the items you get in the game. I mean like giant, house sized balls of fire launched at you from a catapult.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Throne duo/Nasha do not count for Benhart's quest IIRC.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Throne duo/Nasha do not count for Benhart's quest IIRC.

They do, or at least Nashandra does. Apparently if Benhart dies during Nashandra after killing the Thrones it won't count if you win.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gazaar posted:

Gotta keep them bones on you for emergencies man.

I'm in NG+ so I could've even used the feather. I just didn't think of it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They do, or at least Nashandra does. Apparently if Benhart dies during Nashandra after killing the Thrones it won't count if you win.

Nashandra counts, the throne duo don't. so you can kill the throne duo with him before you can even fight Nashandra and not get credit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm in NG+ so I could've even used the feather. I just didn't think of it.

Nashandra counts, the throne duo don't. so you can kill the throne duo with him before you can even fight Nashandra and not get credit.

If you're in NG+ why do you even care about 100k souls :v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

100k souls is still like three level-ups :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man the Mannikin claws are so much fun even if they are probably poo poo. Gonna try infusing them with poison and then cut up people in the belltower. It probably will work terribly but hey nothing ventured nothing gained.

I just need to farm the suspicious shadows for my costume first :suicide:

EDIT: gently caress the gecko that runs into the poison mist in Harvest Valley. What a little jerk.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
100k is like ten invasions. :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's never a point where losing any amount of souls doesn't sting a little, it's the principle of the thing. Plus 100k souls is literally 100 small titanite shards and that's nothing to scoff at when materials can be kind of a bitch to find out in the wild.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

honestly soul memory makes me feel worse about losing souls because now it feels like if I don't use them they've gone to waste hahah

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardboard Box posted:

honestly soul memory makes me feel worse about losing souls because now it feels like if I don't use them they've gone to waste hahah

I'm the same way. In Dark Souls I never cared about losing bloodstains. I mean obviously I didn't like it but I didn't freak out about it. It was just part of the game. Here though, every missed bloodstain is counted and recorded. With SM you know exactly how many souls you COULD have, if you didn't SUCK :mad: Basically having something ingame that tracks your total souls makes it hard for me to not obsess over it, especially due to the impact it has on invasions. I've started speedrunning the game just to keep my SM low and have more room to work with when I finally start doing PvP with my characters.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

If it makes you feel better, the handy dandy app provided here: http://jakebarnes.com.au/ds2sm/ shows the fact that once you hit 3 million soul memory the tiers start becoming vastly wider and therefore soul memory becomes much less important. Up to 5 million soul memory can be summoned by people all the way down to 2.5 million. People up to 7 million soul memory can be summoned down to 2.75 million. Up to 9 million can be summoned down to 3 million! And that's not even taking into account the name-engraved ring and the various covenant styles of summoning.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 22, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm the same way. In Dark Souls I never cared about losing bloodstains. I mean obviously I didn't like it but I didn't freak out about it. It was just part of the game. Here though, every missed bloodstain is counted and recorded. With SM you know exactly how many souls you COULD have, if you didn't SUCK :mad: Basically having something ingame that tracks your total souls makes it hard for me to not obsess over it, especially due to the impact it has on invasions. I've started speedrunning the game just to keep my SM low and have more room to work with when I finally start doing PvP with my characters.

You're still going to burn through the 10 or so orbs you find along the way and then have to raise your SM 10K for every invasion (and be in NG+) pretty quick, unless you're planning on winning in the arena with a minimally-SMed dude.

Unless you're going to cheat yourself orbs, but then why not just cheat your SM down then too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just gotta be careful, I'd lost like ~20k souls on my first run until I got to the Dragon Shrine the first time. Lost 50k to a dumb mistake, though I did learn about how crazy the Soul Protection ring was a few minutes later after putting it on when I walked into the Ancient Dragon arena. Didn't die again after the ring broke until Lost Sinner in ng+ because I'm bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You're still going to burn through the 10 or so orbs you find along the way and then have to raise your SM 10K for every invasion (and be in NG+) pretty quick, unless you're planning on winning in the arena with a minimally-SMed dude.

Unless you're going to cheat yourself orbs, but then why not just cheat your SM down then too.

I do cheat myself orbs, but orbs having nothing to do with SM. Arena fights give no souls and the only resources consumed in them are ones you chose to use. They essentially exist in a vacuum, having no impact on anything outside of them. Also invasions don't give out that much SM. The souls you get from a successful kill in low SM pvp are usually around 1k on average, more or less depending on what area you happen to be harassing. If you stop progressing through the game and just invade, that's a lot of SM to work through before you get even close to NG+ range. My main dickwraith started invading at 650k SM. Now he's at 1,150,000 SM, but that's after over 200 kills. I also progressed further into the main game with him to get access to some later area.

As to why I don't cheat my SM down...well I guess that's where I draw the line. I'm not gonna edit my SM down while keeping the souls, since that's obviously not fair. I could edit SM down while also throwing away the souls, but I don't really feel like it. While I mainly invade just for the thrill, it is nice to get some kind of reward out of it.

It would be great if tokens of spite could be traded to the crows. I have nothing to do with the drat things.

EDIT: Just realized you meant buying orbs from Gren. That's a nogo right from the start since Gren only sells them in NG+, but even there I wouldn't buy them because 10k per orb is a massive rip off. You'd be better off grinding enemies for red eye drops.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

If it makes you feel better, the handy dandy app provided here: http://jakebarnes.com.au/ds2sm/ shows the fact that once you hit 3 million soul memory the tiers start becoming vastly wider and therefore soul memory becomes much less important. Up to 5 million soul memory can be summoned by people all the way down to 2.5 million. People up to 7 million soul memory can be summoned down to 2.75 million. Up to 9 million can be summoned down to 3 million! And that's not even taking into account the name-engraved ring and the various covenant styles of summoning.

that actually does make me feel a little better about it, thanks :)

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I don't care one way or the other but the moral systems people have about their just-so cheating are weird.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
NG+ Nashandra, a literal piece of primordial darkness, still gets her ballgowned butt kicked in by Great Resonant Soul but hexes aren't op man :shepface:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

EDIT: gently caress the gecko that runs into the poison mist in Harvest Valley. What a little jerk.

I like the one in Doors of Pharros where if you don't kill it in one shot it jumps off the bridge it's on into a bottomless pit.

quote:

NG+ Nashandra, a literal piece of primordial darkness, still gets her ballgowned butt kicked in by Great Resonant Soul but hexes aren't op man

I love how all the other bits of Dark and Abyss and Truest Dark and Primordial Humans and I guess whatever Darklurker's supposed to be aren't poo poo compared to just making GBS threads out great resonant souls everywhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Of course, if you do happen to kill it the stuff it drops will likely phase through the bridge and fall into the pit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am garbage at any form of pvp in this game. I just get wrecked no matter what. Dude pulls out full auto crossbows and kills me instantly when it becomes anywhere near close. Guy smashes me in three hits as I try to parry. So much fun.