Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tunga posted:

What device/ROM?

I'm not aware of a way for an app to display an icon in the top left without displaying an associated notification in the drawer.

Opening the drawer does not show anything that could be related to this.

Nexus 5 running 4.4.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dik-dik posted:

Strange, I've found the newest update to be quite usable again. :shrug:

I used it fine for a couple of days, but today it was back to the same old terrible lag. If it's working great for you and LIL, then that's awesome and I hope it continues to. Maybe if I get bored, I'll try wiping the data and seeing if starting from scratch helps.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

always be closing posted:

e- reading helps

How do i get the token?

Log in to your Twitter account at dev.twitter.com. If you're at the part of Falcon where you can access the input, it should show you where to go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I used it fine for a couple of days, but today it was back to the same old terrible lag. If it's working great for you and LIL, then that's awesome and I hope it continues to. Maybe if I get bored, I'll try wiping the data and seeing if starting from scratch helps.
I'll admit I'm not a heavy typer on my device and it seems like the lag before would only come after I was using the keyboard a lot. For me I generally type one, maybe two sentences a day if that so I could imagine that it's still there and I haven't come across it just in use.

I agree with what you said though that it's by far the best typing solution constantly let down by poor implementation that simply shouldn't be there. Every time they fix a bug it seems they introduce another.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

spog posted:

Opening the drawer does not show anything that could be related to this.

Nexus 5 running 4.4.2

At this point I would go into apps and start killing running processes until it vanishes to give you some idea what's spawning it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bull3964 posted:

At this point I would go into apps and start killing running processes until it vanishes to give you some idea what's spawning it.

That's my thought.

Will a notification remain there if you kill the process - or does killing it make the icon isntantly disappear?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit I'm not a heavy typer on my device and it seems like the lag before would only come after I was using the keyboard a lot. For me I generally type one, maybe two sentences a day if that so I could imagine that it's still there and I haven't come across it just in use.

I agree with what you said though that it's by far the best typing solution constantly let down by poor implementation that simply shouldn't be there. Every time they fix a bug it seems they introduce another.

I've often had a sneaking suspicion that the lag was somehow tied to Hangouts. I use hangouts very frequently, and while it started out well this morning, it gradually got worse throughout the day. I just switched back to Swype to type this and it seems to be working fairly well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've often had a sneaking suspicion that the lag was somehow tied to Hangouts. I use hangouts very frequently, and while it started out well this morning, it gradually got worse throughout the day. I just switched back to Swype to type this and it seems to be working fairly well.

There's some kind of battery bug with Hangouts 2.2:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/PiCHREJIGmU

I think this is what I'm experiencing, but I haven't read up on it to figure out what it really is. Turning off that wifi scanning option fixed it anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

spog posted:

That's my thought.

Will a notification remain there if you kill the process - or does killing it make the icon isntantly disappear?

It should disappear right away.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Caphi posted:

Log in to your Twitter account at dev.twitter.com. If you're at the part of Falcon where you can access the input, it should show you where to go.

Wow very cool, thank you!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Talon is a really, really nice Twitter app too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Chrome on Android finally had an undo close tab action - it may seem like a small feature but it's one I've often wanted.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

dissss posted:

Chrome on Android finally had an undo close tab action - it may seem like a small feature but it's one I've often wanted.
Now if only they could add bookmark rearrangement, like iOS Chrome has had forever.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dissss posted:

Can you close all tabs on tablets yet?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ultra specific question:

Is there a way to make a certain key/mouse press translate to another key/mouse press, and have it ONLY function that way when a certain app is open/active?

I know Tasker is a very robust app for things like this but I am not actually sure if what I am describing is part of its repertoire.

My use case:

I use an air mouse thingy on my Android tv box to navigate around XBMC. It doesnt have a menu key among its face buttons, but it does have a keyboard on the back. Whenever I want to pull up the context menu in XBMC (normally achieved by either pressing the key 'c' or the android menu key) I need to flip the mouse over and press the c key. I know that sounds like im super lazy, but actually the way the air mouse works, the keyboard is not active until its totally flipper over (ie I can memorize the c key and just press it from the back blindly) and when you DO flip over the remote, the curouse naturally moves all the way off screen, effectivley un-highlighting the thing you wanted to pull up the context menu on in the first place.

In short: It's really annoying and in fact very cumbersome/almost impossible to constantly be flipping the air mouse/remote up and down.

What I want to do: When I am in XBMC (and ONLY in XBMC), I want a long press of the mouse button (I only have one, OK button) to translate into sending the key 'c'. Theres almost no situations I can think of where this would cause any chaos)

Yes, I have checked about keyboard.xml and mouse.xml within XBMC itself and apparently it cannot recognize the event "long press moue button" so its a non starter.

Can tasker or something else do something like this?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Why don't you just use Yatse to control XBMC?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why don't you just use Yatse to control XBMC?

Fiance/Wife usability factor.

Basically, I want her to be able to add stuff to favorites straight from the remote.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

Fiance/Wife usability factor.

Basically, I want her to be able to add stuff to favorites straight from the remote.

What's the model number on this air mouse of yours? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole situation. I'm not sure Tasker can handle this.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's some kind of battery bug with Hangouts 2.2:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/PiCHREJIGmU

I think this is what I'm experiencing, but I haven't read up on it to figure out what it really is. Turning off that wifi scanning option fixed it anyways.

Related to this: Is there a good power monitor to tell me (without root) which apps are draining the battery/using the most power?

The stock stuff just lists a blanket "Android OS" or "Google"

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

AnimalChin posted:

Related to this: Is there a good power monitor to tell me (without root) which apps are draining the battery/using the most power?

The stock stuff just lists a blanket "Android OS" or "Google"

If you're below KitKat then better battery stats if you're on kit Kat then root or you're sol.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Its a cheap little one called variously the T10, C120 or the Matricon G-Mouse II (I believe).

This doo-hicky:

Regardless, I have found a rather simple but elegant solution (at least for XBMC):

I found out by reading the debug log (first time, fascinating document) that the key being sent to Android by the remote's VolMinus key is simple a standard keyboard 'minus' (ie the opposite of a plus sign). I then reasoned that the only time anyone will realistically be turning the volume down is when a video is playing (ie FullScreenVideo part of keyboard.xml) so I changed the following in keyboard.xml:

in Global i changed <minus>VolumeDown</minus> to <minus>ContextMenu</minus>

and in FullScreenVideo portion i put back the Minus-as-Volume-down command.

Now outisde of a video playing, the vol down button is a context menu key (conveniently, it is close finger-wise to the OK buttom). When a video IS playing, it serves its purpose of bringing the volume down.

I'm happy with it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

blakout posted:

If you're below KitKat then better battery stats if you're on kit Kat then root or you're sol.

GSam battery monitor gives you some data if you have Kitkat but no root, I'm not sure what it doesn't differently than BBS, which gives you nothing if you don't have root. FWIW My battery woes were fixed by turning that wifi scanning always on setting to off.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Anyone know of an app that can add the alarm fade-in feature to the stock KK alarm clock? I kind of like the stock clock but I really like the fade-in feature that other clocks have. I'm not rooted so I can't go that route.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I posted a similar thing last week and it seemed well-received:

By "buying" these apps for free, you get 200 Amazon coins each for a total of 1000 coins ($10 value) to spend on Amazon apps

Food Network
http://amzn.to/1hcecwn

iHeartRadio
http://amzn.to/1hceseP

Strawberry Shortcake Bake Shop
http://amzn.to/1hcexPq

Dr. Panda's Restaurant
http://amzn.to/1hceD9V

Don't step the white tile
http://amzn.to/1hceMKh

edit: The easiest way to see your coin balance is to click an app that isn't free and it will show your balance on the right where the "Buy" link usually is.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 22, 2014

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hittin' that up, I've got quite the stack of Amazonbucks thanks to you. Now if only they carried the one app I want right now, the $10 Geocaching app.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

lowcrabdiet posted:

By "buying" these apps for free, you get 200 Amazon coins each for a total of 1000 coins ($10 value) to spend on Amazon mp3s and apps (not sure about streaming video)

This is excellent, thank you.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

plumper fuckbus posted:

Hittin' that up, I've got quite the stack of Amazonbucks thanks to you. Now if only they carried the one app I want right now, the $10 Geocaching app.

Which Geocaching app is that? I bought Locus Pro and I absolutely love it. The interface has a learning curve but I've found it extremely useful for traveling. You can pre-download offline maps from just about any map database (including Google Maps, using Locus's Map Tweak app). Good for navigation while cycling, hiking, going abroad where you don't have internet connection, etc. I had to buy it from Google Play as it's not on Amazon though.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lowcrabdiet posted:

Which Geocaching app is that?

It's "Geocaching" on the Play store by Groundspeak, Inc. I believe it's the same one I had for iOS that ties into their website database and shows me a map of nearby caches and I just wander my way there and find them without too much trouble. I'll check Locus out, though.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

lowcrabdiet posted:

By "buying" these apps for free, you get 200 Amazon coins each for a total of 1000 coins ($10 value) to spend on Amazon apps

Food Network
http://amzn.to/1hcecwn

iHeartRadio
http://amzn.to/1hceseP

Strawberry Shortcake Bake Shop
http://amzn.to/1hcexPq

Dr. Panda's Restaurant
http://amzn.to/1hceD9V

Don't step the white tile
http://amzn.to/1hceMKh

edit: The easiest way to see your coin balance is to click an app that isn't free and it will show your balance on the right where the "Buy" link usually is.

Thanks.

And if you don't want to install those apps, buy them through your browser.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also note the GTA:SA deal with bonus 2000 coins is still running. Just get it from your browser if you can't find it on the app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has broken out more functionality to the Play Store now.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/22/motorola-updates-modality-services-with-better-in-vehicle-detection/

Motorola Modality Services. It's designed to assist the other smart functions of the phone with more logic to detect device states. It listens to ambient audio to help determine if it's in your pocket, sitting on the desk, or driving.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It's stuff like that that makes me want to pick up the new Moto X instead of waiting for Android Silver or Nexus or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, we're probably only a 30-45 days out from the Moto X+1.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's stuff like that that makes me want to pick up the new Moto X instead of waiting for Android Silver or Nexus or whatever.

But Google is doing the same thing with their android apps. They've been pulling them out of ASOP and putting them in the Play Store. Google Camera is the latest example, but they've done it with gmail, calendar, google search, camera, gallery (included in G+ now), hangouts, and there's more examples.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Well, we're probably only a 30-45 days out from the Moto X+1.

Hmm..that'd be around my birthday month too (July). Nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

But Google is doing the same thing with their android apps. They've been pulling them out of ASOP and putting them in the Play Store. Google Camera is the latest example, but they've done it with gmail, calendar, google search, camera, gallery (included in G+ now), hangouts, and there's more examples.

Yes, but with a Moto device you get ALL of that PLUS these actual useful tweaks to the OS.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yes, but with a Moto device you get ALL of that PLUS these actual useful tweaks to the OS.

Do Moto devices have the Google Phone thing where you can look up a company's number/name?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Didn't see this, sorry.

It's not that they're pulling stuff out and putting it into the Store (HTC is doing this too), it's more the OEM tweaks as well. I talked a friend into going with a Moto X on AIO/Cricket and he loves it.

I don't really know what's going on with Android Silver or Nexus but if all that rumor stuff is true, I don't like it and I've been wanting to check out Motorola's stuff for a while.

Fun fact, the dumb phone that lasted me the absolute longest was a Motorola. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do Moto devices have the Google Phone thing where you can look up a company's number/name?

Unfortunately, the smart dialer is a nexus only thing for now. I don't know if it's even part of AOSP, it might be one of Google's closed source dealies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, it's Nexus only for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

I thought that was part of Kitkat?

• Locked thread