Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Is that one kid gay? :3:

Without reading it, I'd guess so. James Tynion IV recently had a blog post where he came out as bisexual and vowed to make more personal stories.

Is it good? Good for him then, cause his debut year in Batman/Red Hood stories has been rough.
Though I'm enjoying his part in the new Batman weekly comic more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

OK Octopus posted:

Also, things I learned: Samuel Beckett gave Andre rides to school in the back of his truck as a favor to Andre's father.

I learned this in college and it's been one of my favorite little cocktail trivia factoids. Glad to see it made it into the comic.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I checked out the woods and its looks like its just a The Drifting Classroom rip-off set in a highschool instead of an elementary school.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Did I miss folks talking about Shutter? You should be talking about Shutter. It's drat good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

pugnax posted:

I learned this in college and it's been one of my favorite little cocktail trivia factoids. Glad to see it made it into the comic.

My favorite Andre trivia factoid that made it into the comic is his tendency to rip massive farts in elevators just to gently caress with people.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Does anyone know if the Regular Show comic is funny?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

KC green has written for it, so his stuff is probably good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Ehhhhhhh. I mean, is Regular Show really funny? I don't really think so and this is coming from a fan of the show. The appeal, for me at least, to the show and by proxy the comics is the bat poo poo insane scenarios that crop up out of mundane situations. The dialog is "dude what up dude how's it going dude no way dude oooooooooooohhh" but the artists always do a good job of making things bouncy and interesting.

I honestly find KC Green wasted on the comic. Regular Show is formulaic and one dimensional which would be a negative anywhere else but here it serves the wacky antics. But then you have this writer known for sardonic humor yet he can only write the most neutered scripts possible for this all ages property.

On the other hand, the Skips spin off is pretty good. I can't really put my finger on it but it's a better written story, has more visual humor, it's better paced and things flow together better. I think it's largely in part that the writer is also the artist so he can plan things out and it's a longer continuous story. I felt the same way about Marceline and the Scream Queens and Fionna and Cake which I enjoyed a lot more than Ryan North's main series.

I really pick up these books for the guest artists but I'm not trying to discredit the main stuff because at worst it's above average. There hasn't been an issue where I say to myself "I really want my four dollars back."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 13, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else reading Revenge? It's horrible, but I love it. A 70's action star old franchise gets updated for the modern day and this old, roided out man is suddenly a start again. He heads down to Mexico for some cutting edge plastic surgery only to have his face cut off his skull and grafted onto a younger man who's being manipulated by his gold digging trophy wife. It's pulpy, gory and totally gratuitous in every way and I kind of love it. It's not a *good* book, but it is a fun one.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Kelly Sue DeConnick's blurb about the upcoming Brubaker/Phillips series, "The Fade Out":

“Two of the best in the business, no contest.” —Kelly Sue DeConnick
“I never know what to say in these things” —Kelly Sue DeConnick
“Seriously, just buy the [expletive deleted] book. I promise you’ll like it. Unless you’re [expletive deleted].” —Kelly Sue DeConnick
“I don’t think we’re supposed to say [expletive deleted] anymore.” —Kelly Sue DeConnick
“Forget I said that." —Kelly Sue DeConnick (PRETTY DEADLY, Captain Marvel)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Is anyone else reading Revenge? It's horrible, but I love it. A 70's action star old franchise gets updated for the modern day and this old, roided out man is suddenly a start again. He heads down to Mexico for some cutting edge plastic surgery only to have his face cut off his skull and grafted onto a younger man who's being manipulated by his gold digging trophy wife. It's pulpy, gory and totally gratuitous in every way and I kind of love it. It's not a *good* book, but it is a fun one.

:stare: God drat that escalated quickly. Sounds like I need to check this out.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I thought Revenge was hot garbage. I checked out the first issue because I had no idea Jonathan Ross (yeah, that one) had written comics in the past, didn't really like it at all.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sundowner posted:

I thought Revenge was hot garbage. I checked out the first issue because I had no idea Jonathan Ross (yeah, that one) had written comics in the past, didn't really like it at all.

Turf is a legit great book (albeit a little wordy) and bought him a big pass. Revenge is really taking that pass away quickly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I don't want anything thinking it's anything but garbage. It's just the kind of over the top garbage that appeals to me. There's three issues out, you'll know by issue 2 if you like it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

After seeing ads for it pasted all over the latest episode of the Walking Dead video game, I gotta ask: How is Ghosted?

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Hellboy in Hell continues to be pretty great whenever it deigns to come out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grant Morrison and Frasier Irving's book is out in September. Yum.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/19/grant-morrison-and-frazer-irvings-annihilator-to-be-published-in-september/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 19, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That cover is hype.

I've been reading America's Army and its kind of wonderful despite itself. Its totally a propaganda piece that blunders along in amazing style. All the issues are free so its even better.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I checked the front page of Comixology on a whim and there's a sale on Chew and Revival. I seem to vaguely recall reading the first volume of Chew a few years ago and liking it so I'm asking for thoughts on Revival. A few pages back itt people seem to be saying that it's not a traditional zombie story and it's much more character and town focused; does it stay that way?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I checked the front page of Comixology on a whim and there's a sale on Chew and Revival. I seem to vaguely recall reading the first volume of Chew a few years ago and liking it so I'm asking for thoughts on Revival. A few pages back itt people seem to be saying that it's not a traditional zombie story and it's much more character and town focused; does it stay that way?

Pretty much. In fact, it kinda feels like that's all there is to it. First off, it is in no way a traditional zombie story, to the point of it being inappropriate to call it so. It's dead people coming back from the dead in Wisconsin, and remain invincible. Other than that they're completely human other than the occasional insanity, either induced by the general madness or by higher powers. Aside from this, the comic focuses on the the still-alive population and the undead sister of one of the local officers. Mainly the story has been, (a) hosed up thing happened, (b) family drama, (c) reason for hosed up thing, and (d) someone dies in order to stop the/bring justice for hosed up thing. Reading it monthly, it feels like it's just been spinning it's since the opening arc, where the status quo seems to just carry on and the supernatural elements have been no more explained than the issues they're introduced. Maybe it reads better in trades, where otherwise minute elements becomes a lot more meaningful and stories are strengthened. As is, it feels like a side project rather than a passion, much like Hickman's Secret is to Avengers and New Avengers. Really it's not a bad series, everything in it is interesting enough to keep me from outright dropping it. But with that in mind, the most memorable bits for me are the Scottie Young cover, the Art Balatzar comic in said issue, and the latest cover with a leaping Jesus.

And reflecting on that, I emphasize that it is not outright bad. It certainly doesn't feel like a Morning Glories making-it-up-on-the-spot, it certainly has a plan with solutions, but the writer is way too timid to reveal anything bigger than a 5-or-6 issue story arc. More than anything, I'm afraid that it will be wrapping up everything with only 4 issues to go because 'oh no, nobody bought enough issues for me to slowly reveal my story'. It feels like the narrative needs to go off the rails soon, or it could drown in it's own weird form of mundaneity. I think it's interesting to keep up with, I certainly think it has an audience to appeal to, and I think it probably will go into interesting places. However, my context isn't the 20-some issues released, it's the 2 that I can still remember. If you're interested and think it's worth your money, I say get it. If not, pass it up and don't look back, as you won't gain or lose anything.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Having read the first arc #1-5 I pretty much agree with what SomeJazzyRat wrote. It has been interesting but nothing ground-breaking so far. I do like his town building but it seems rather slow in some parts. Almost like a twin peaks. I just hope its able to build up to those highs. I also haven't decided quite yet whether to continue on with more issues or just drop it, might just go arc to arc.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll also echo the comments but have made it to issue 10 or so, and that first arc doesn't speed up. At this point if suggest waiting for it to end and checking for opinions (which will unfortunately probably be skewed because those are the people who liked it enough to stick with it) and a sale.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

The thing is, CHEW is one of my favorite comics--original, funny, surprising, etc. Based on commentary, I hadn't been particularly interested in Revival. But seems like a major endorsement by the CHEW guys to *want* to cross over with Revival (and it did seem to be Layman's idea). I mean, I guess it turns out Layman just happens to like it, but it's surprising.

On the other hand, I think the idea of an Image/creator-owned comic crossover is pretty drat fun, so I want to check it out. I just don't know if I want to spend the time reading the rest of Revival as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CHEW completely owns despite the fact that they repeat the entire premise seemingly every issue. This becomes incredibly evident when you're reading it in trade form.

Get it now so you can be into it before it becomes a (hopefully successful) TV series! Geek cred!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ugh. I want Saga to be the next one to be picked up for a TV show but at the same time, the structure and content mean that like, the only channel that could touch it with a 10 foot pole without making serious changes to it would be HBO. :smith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Ugh. I want Saga to be the next one to be picked up for a TV show but at the same time, the structure and content mean that like, the only channel that could touch it with a 10 foot pole without making serious changes to it would be HBO. :smith:

If there's ever a TV show of Saga I hope it keeps the fluoro colour scheme.

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012
I think it's been explicitly stated that Saga will never exist in any format other than comics.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Barristicide posted:

I think it's been explicitly stated that Saga will never exist in any format other than comics.

For good reason I think Saga uses the benefits of the comic medium pretty well. Not to mention it has a narrator which could easily be done badly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Barristicide posted:

I mean, they say that, but at the same time I'm pretty sure BKV and Fiona Staples like money, which is a thing they would have swimming pools full of if they went along with something like that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, they say that, but at the same time I'm pretty sure BKV and Fiona Staples like money, which is a thing they would have swimming pools full of if they went along with something like that.

Staples is probably getting hella paid right now just for doing an occasional cover for DC/Marvel considering how little work she has done outside the indie scene. I think she has done like one cover for Marvel?

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Fair enough. It's easy to make all kinds of sentimental statements about your new project at the outset. Didn't Robert Kirkman promise to keep writing The Walking Dead only until he ran out of good ideas for it?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Barristicide posted:

Fair enough. It's easy to make all kinds of sentimental statements about your new project at the outset. Didn't Robert Kirkman promise to keep writing The Walking Dead only until he ran out of good ideas for it?

Well one is subjective at least in the mind if the author. Kirkman may think he still has good ideas

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
About that. Is Kirkman okay? Like, did he just have a really bad breakup or something?

I paged through the new Invincible today and this is... troubling.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Barristicide posted:

I want there to be a world where there's a good television adaptation of Saga but I can't think of anyone who could pull that off, so it's probably for the best.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wanderer posted:

About that. Is Kirkman okay? Like, did he just have a really bad breakup or something?

Yeah man, that issue is something else. Like, if you have trouble with gratuitous violence and shock value it's clearly only going to go even further in that direction.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

foutre posted:

I want there to be a world where there's a good television adaptation of Saga but I can't think of anyone who could pull that off, so it's probably for the best.

I mean, HBO could probably pick it up and if they handled it with the same kind of give-a-gently caress that they handle Game of Thrones with, it would work out just fine.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

CHEW completely owns despite the fact that they repeat the entire premise seemingly every issue. This becomes incredibly evident when you're reading it in trade form.

Get it now so you can be into it before it becomes a (hopefully successful) TV series! Geek cred!

There was going to be a TV show on showtime, but that fell through. I doubt it will ever become one.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There was going to be a TV show on showtime, but that fell through. I doubt it will ever become one.

And here I thought Hannibal ushered in a new age of TV cannibalism :( People should still read Chew, though.

Also, I'm morbidly curious as to what the new Invincible is about now.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Did anyone else read Image comic's MPH (Mark Millar) this week? I was on the fence, but really enjoyed it. Some review out there summed it up perfectly by describing it as the Fast and the Furious of Indie comic issues - not particularly challenging, revolutionary or deep, but good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wanderer posted:

Speaking of, just how long has Eve been pregnant at this point? I'm pretty sure we've had more than 9 months from time skips alone.