Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I really enjoyed the Deadpool Annual, Deadpool pretending to be Spider-Man is funnier than it has any right to be. Almost as funny is the one word balloon where Spidey pretends to be DP! Chameleon is slightly out of character as a much less subtler version of himself.

Just wondering when 'Parker keeps running into poo poo he did as Superior Dickhead" stories will stop though.

Avengers World gets an upgrade to the art but it still has Spencer writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binary Badger posted:

Just wondering when 'Parker keeps running into poo poo he did as Superior Dickhead" stories will stop though.

He's been back for like 3 issues. Strap in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I have a light suspicion that maybe, just maybe, the latest issue of Nova was a bit delayed.

Also, that was a very neat issue. :unsmith:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Wait did Nova come out this week?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mahasamatman posted:

Well that sucks (unless it's a typo.)
http://dshalv.tumblr.com/post/86430320433/so-whats-happening-to-moon-knight-after-issue-6

Hmmmm. It would be a huge shame if they all left.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

Wait did Nova come out this week?

Yup. I actually fell behind on Nova so I'm only up to #15 but having Sam hang out with Bill and Cosmo has been pretty loving awesome.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52984

Kieron Gillen is leaving Iron Man for an "enormous opportunity" at Marvel. Bleeding Cool purports to have inside information on who one of the scribes for one of the new Star Wars series is going to be, and they posted a puzzle image featuring images of characters that Gillen has worked on at Marvel.

Would be over the moon if it is, indeed, him.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Why would you be excited to see a good writer stick with loving star wars

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are you being sarcastic, or is Star Wars a worse property than Iron Man in your silly universe?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

jsoh posted:

Why would you be excited to see a good writer stick with loving star wars

Because it's a pretty awesome space setting, it'd be cool to see good poo poo happen in it, and there isn't much for great Sci Fi comics right now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I assume with Star wars you will have more freedom to do what you want since there are no crossovers.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
What's the best ongoing Iron Man series nowadays?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

srypher posted:

What's the best ongoing Iron Man series nowadays?
New Avengers.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was looking at the list of upcoming events for Marvel and noticed one that talks about a eight month time jump and mentions something about causing a change that shakes the 75 years of Marvel. Please tell me they are not going to pull a New 52, as I hate whenever DC just throws out of years of history to start over.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rirse posted:

I was looking at the list of upcoming events for Marvel and noticed one that talks about a eight month time jump and mentions something about causing a change that shakes the 75 years of Marvel. Please tell me they are not going to pull a New 52, as I hate whenever DC just throws out of years of history to start over.

They are probably referring to whatever event Hickman will end Avengers/New Avengers with. They've mentioned it is going to be hopping ahead in time a couple times as it reaches its conclusion. I really doubt they are going to do anything close to the New 52.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shitshow posted:

Kieron Gillen is leaving Iron Man for an "enormous opportunity" at Marvel.
I stopped even vaguely paying attention to his Iron Man after Secret Origin of Tony Stark, has that whole "oh the adoption thing is a swerve" theory being trumpeted around ever come to pass, or is Gillen bailing after having farted that out and we're waiting for another writer to retcon it?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Space_Butler posted:

I stopped even vaguely paying attention to his Iron Man after Secret Origin of Tony Stark, has that whole "oh the adoption thing is a swerve" theory being trumpeted around ever come to pass, or is Gillen bailing after having farted that out and we're waiting for another writer to retcon it?

The swerve was that it was implied that all of Tony's smarts come from that robot mucking around in his brain which turned out not to be true. I've enjoyed his run so far ever since Land left.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Senor Candle posted:

The swerve was that it was implied that all of Tony's smarts come from that robot mucking around in his brain which turned out not to be true. I've enjoyed his run so far ever since Land left.
So then still adopted and awaiting another writer to reverse it somehow since Disney is hell bent on making character image and backstory line up with the film universe. Gotcha.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Space_Butler posted:

So then still adopted and awaiting another writer to reverse it somehow since Disney is hell bent on making character image and backstory line up with the film universe. Gotcha.

Unless he goes on a quest to find his real parents or something they don't need to retcon it, just don't bring it up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

You are right, Hawkeye in the comic is completely like the one in the comic. What makes you think that Disney is hell bent on making character image and backstory line up with the film universe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't help but feel that Gillen working on Star Wars comics would be a bit of a waste.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

irlZaphod posted:

I can't help but feel that Gillen working on Star Wars comics would be a bit of a waste.

I guess we will see how it goes. If this was the old "Everything goes through George Lucas" Star Wars I'd say it would be a waste, but if a writer can get a little more leeway now...

Then again it's loving Star Wars, so I wouldn't expect many new perspectives at first.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

You are right, Hawkeye in the comic is completely like the one in the comic. What makes you think that Disney is hell bent on making character image and backstory line up with the film universe.
Latest example is Coulson. Coulson has definitely become the Clark Gregg version. That's not a bad thing at all, the newer version is a million times better, I just mean the "Cheese" character was absolutely not the Coulson in the comics now, neither in appearance (hairline, for starters) or personality. I admit it's not a completely across the board thing, but Marvel has definitely tried to align the generalities as of late. Hawkeye has been left alone because he was barely defined in the movies at all, you could do pretty much anything with him at this point because the alternative is do nothing with him.

Candle, you're right, it could just be never brought up again, but I think that speaks to how useless of a retcon it was in the first place. And if it's that useless, it'll be an easy sell for a writer to retcon it if they want to play continuity cop. I simply mean Marvel won't be fighting to undo a change that, in the end, allows their character to more closely resemble the movies.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Wouldn't he be the first guy to get to lay his hands on the new Star Wars universe though? Even if they had 100 provisions of things you can't do, you're literally getting a universe of opportunities.

Of course there's also absolutely no indication given in that article it's anything Star Wars related, unless there's something I missed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

Latest example is Coulson. Coulson has definitely become the Clark Gregg version. That's not a bad thing at all, the newer version is a million times better, I just mean the "Cheese" character was absolutely not the Coulson in the comics now, neither in appearance (hairline, for starters) or personality. I admit it's not a completely across the board thing, but Marvel has definitely tried to align the generalities as of late. Hawkeye has been left alone because he was barely defined in the movies at all, you could do pretty much anything with him at this point because the alternative is do nothing with him.

Candle, you're right, it could just be never brought up again, but I think that speaks to how useless of a retcon it was in the first place. And if it's that useless, it'll be an easy sell for a writer to retcon it if they want to play continuity cop. I simply mean Marvel won't be fighting to undo a change that, in the end, allows their character to more closely resemble the movies.

Coulson was never in the comics until he was introduced in the same storyline that introduced the black Nick Fury. He was also the "cheese" character. Also him being adopted is not important, and really has nothing to do with who Tony is. It was a way to make it seem that it he was fated to be who he was, but nope it was Tony all along. He had no real help.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shitshow posted:

Kieron Gillen is leaving Iron Man for an "enormous opportunity" at Marvel.

Knowing Gillen, it's probably All-New Marvel UK. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

bobkatt013 posted:

Coulson was never in the comics until he was introduced in the same storyline that introduced the black Nick Fury. He was also the "cheese" character. Also him being adopted is not important, and really has nothing to do with who Tony is. It was a way to make it seem that it he was fated to be who he was, but nope it was Tony all along. He had no real help.

Yeah, really. The dude is still Howard Stark's son, brilliant engineer and recovering boozehound. Being adopted doesn't somehow make him a fraud or undermine that, it's just an additional detail. There's no contradiction with the movies, unless somebody's got a secret director's cut somewhere with footage of Maria Stark giving birth to Tony and a doc administering an immediate paternity test.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The current story involving the Mandarin Rings and Malekith is really good.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Metal Loaf posted:

Knowing Gillen, it's probably All-New Marvel UK. :v:

Death's Head & the Pipettes Space-Time Adventures

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

There's no contradiction with the movies, unless somebody's got a secret director's cut somewhere with footage of Maria Stark giving birth to Tony and a doc administering an immediate paternity test.

"Howard Stark, you are... not the father!"

*insert that one Maury gif only with John Slattery dancing*

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The current story involving the Mandarin Rings and Malekith is really good.
This sounds cool to me, what issue does it start with?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fritzler posted:

This sounds cool to me, what issue does it start with?

I think issue 18.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume with Star wars you will have more freedom to do what you want since there are no crossovers.

triplexpac posted:

I guess we will see how it goes. If this was the old "Everything goes through George Lucas" Star Wars I'd say it would be a waste, but if a writer can get a little more leeway now...

Then again it's loving Star Wars, so I wouldn't expect many new perspectives at first.
I'm not sure how much if any input George Lucas has on future SW licensed properties, but Disney/Lucasfilm Story Group (the "canon" gatekeepers so to speak) have tossed everything out that wasn't the movies or The Clone Wars (the TV show series) and the associated multiple layers of canon in favor of a single continuity, so Gillen's presumably got way more room to work with than before, considering that just about everything since the Disney sale -- including all four novels that were declared part of the new continuity and the Rebels cartoon -- has been during/between the trilogies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I googled around and it looks like no one has an solid info on how much control Lucas has over Star Wars now. If i was to guess its about the same as GRUM has over the GoT TV show, so not much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'd assume for 4 billion dollars he didn't keep any control.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Personally I thought that his ego was big enough for him to insert "must acknowledge the prequel trilogy and The Clone Wars as canon" into the sales contract...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chortles posted:

Personally I thought that his ego was big enough for him to insert "must acknowledge the prequel trilogy and The Clone Wars as canon" into the sales contract...

I recently binge watched Clone Wars on Netflix, and it a million times better than any of the prequels. It actually has action and fully realized characters!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd assume for 4 billion dollars he didn't keep any control.

There's contracts saying what can and can't be done that we'll never know the full details of. One thing did come to light, Disney can never release IV-VI in their original theatrical versions on any format.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

There's contracts saying what can and can't be done that we'll never know the full details of. One thing did come to light, Disney can never release IV-VI in their original theatrical versions on any format.

I can't believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe this.
Stuff like that is exactly why I can believe George Lucas conditioning the sale on Disney being stuck with the both prequels and TCW, if he was going to do the same with his newer versions of IV-VI (which he also deemed to take canon precedence over the original theatrical releases).

• Locked thread