Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

This is probably a dumb question I probably already know the answer to, but is there a way for bills to be introduced to Congress anonymously? I only ask because I wonder how many are rejected purely because the other side came up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

While I'm sure that that didn't help, the VA has been awful for decades now. As an institution it's long, long overdue for a serious shake-up and reform. I figured that it'd get itself sorted after the Walter Reed scandal back during the Bush Administration, but I guess not.

Walter Reed is an entirely separate issue. Walter Reed is a hospital in the actual Army/military Medical Corps and is a Department of Defense entity.

The VA is an entirely separate government department, the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, with a completely separate bureaucracy. I spent half a career working in the military health care system and have never once set foot in a VA hospital either to work or as a patient.

The military's (DoD) health care system is for taking care of people who are active duty military members, their family/dependents, and people who have earned retirement benefits through military service.

The VA is for people who are veterans, who have served, but not necessarily earned retirement benefits, but have some service connected disabilities or illness that renders them eligible for the benefits.

It's a common error to conflate what are two entirely separate large health care systems that have a different set of patients and healthcare workers and are run by completely different organizations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FAT BATMAN posted:

This is probably a dumb question I probably already know the answer to, but is there a way for bills to be introduced to Congress anonymously? I only ask because I wonder how many are rejected purely because the other side came up with it.

There needs to be someone on the record as sponsoring it, so no. It's not uncommon for the very first consponsor to be someone from the opposite party, however, if a bill is meant to be pushed as "Soandso (R-Someplace) and Suchandsuch (D-Wherever) Introduce Generic Legislative Bill of 2014".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ, these people, I was just listening to Mark Levin and he was going on and on about the VA scandal; which I think really is a legitimate scandal. Levin was saying that the problem was that it was communist style health care and communist style health care never works. Levin's solution was a voucher system so that every veteran could go to any doctor they wanted; SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE WAS HIS SOLUTION (sorry for the caps). These fuckers can't not see their own hypocrisy, they can't grasp the irony in what they say.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Not that anyone here needs it but if you know anyone who still needs proof that FOX news is a complete sham please see Megyn Kelly verbally fellating Dinesh D'Souza for his amazing achievement in being indicted for violating campaign finance laws from today.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Not that anyone here needs it but if you know anyone who still needs proof that FOX news is a complete sham please see Megyn Kelly verbally fellating Dinesh D'Souza for his amazing achievement in being indicted for violating campaign finance laws from today.

In case anyone actually does want to see it: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dinesh-dsouza-megyn-kelly-interview

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is constantly talking about horrible people that have characteristics that tend to make them smug, or with punchable faces, or are just plain horrible people that deserve to have bad things happen to them. People like Steven Crowder or Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter. Let me give you one more name to add to that list.

A. J. Delgado, the rights newest expert on rape. This woman is easily under 30 years of age and she is giving us her expert incite into the rape; more specifically on campus rape. Here's her about me page. Here's some good smug for you.

edit: apparently, image posting is beyond my capability suddenly because every photo I find of her can not be posted. Maybe I'm an idiot?

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 22, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Fix. Yo. Tables.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

radical meme posted:

http://patdollard.com/2013/04/mediaites-aj-delgado-to-hannity-black-conservatives-like-ben-carson-are-a-huge-threat-to-the-left/

http://instagram.com/p/eqWCwgN-Oh/

edit: apparently, image posting is beyond my capability suddenly because every photo I find of her can not be posted. Maybe I'm an idiot?

Looks like neither link ends in a file extension. Maybe url tags will work.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

radical meme posted:

Jesus Christ, these people, I was just listening to Mark Levin and he was going on and on about the VA scandal; which I think really is a legitimate scandal. Levin was saying that the problem was that it was communist style health care and communist style health care never works. Levin's solution was a voucher system so that every veteran could go to any doctor they wanted; SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE WAS HIS SOLUTION (sorry for the caps). These fuckers can't not see their own hypocrisy, they can't grasp the irony in what they say.

Everybody who doesn't understand what single-payer is seems to propose it independently at some point.

Alternately: "Single-payer is great--but only for ARE HEROES" :911:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SedanChair posted:

Everybody who doesn't understand what single-payer is seems to propose it independently at some point.

Alternately: "Single-payer is great--but only for ARE HEROES" :911:

This also happens a lot with right-wingers talking about Obamacare.

"Obamacare is a government takeover of health care! The parts about pre-existing conditions are okay, I guess. Staying on parents insurance longer would help us with the youth vote... We need a market-oriented approach where people can choose their plans! Repeal Obamacare now!"

They seem most incensed that Obama took their plan, and now they can't get credit for it. They also couldn't possibly ever agree with Obama on anything, and so he managed to push them over the right wing cliff. It was a masterful accomplishment except for the part where Obama had to march rightward in order to do it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 22, 2014

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

radical meme posted:

Wait, sorry how is that supporting single payer? If Levin is supporting the idea of vouchers, doesn't that mean privatizing health insurance? I mean, that is what Republicans have been advocating to happen to medicare all this time, isn't it?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Georgia O'Keefe did something again, so expect some jabber about that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Georgia O'Keefe did something again, so expect some jabber about that.

She rose from the dead?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
O'Keefe might be investigated by the FBI.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fbi-urged-investigate-james-okeefes-706353 :cawg:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://www.mediaite.com/online/pat-sajak-clears-up-twitter-controversy-i-was-just-trolling/

Conservative celebrity Pat Sajak sez he was "joking" about that stupid tweet thing about climate change.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fox News anchor Gregg Jarrett just got arrested at the Minneapolis airport for being drunk and disorderly.

quote:

MINNEAPOLIS - A national news anchor was arrested at Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.

An airport spokesman says police arrested FOX News Channel's Gregg Jarrett.

Police were called to Northern Lights Grill in Terminal One on Wednesday.

When they got there, they say Jarrett appeared to be drunk and wouldn't obey orders.

They took him to the Hennepin County Jail. He's charged with interfering with a peace officer, which is a misdemeanor.

Jarrett is famous for saying that marijuana use might have made Trayvon Martin "violent" and "irrational."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What is it about MSP and right wingers getting in trouble?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Pat Sajak studies at Rush's dojo

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

radical meme posted:

A. J. Delgado
The idea in that article and/or others recently in NR stuck out to me-sexual permissiveness is responsible for campus rape, which she also believes is not really rape, as evidenced by the tendency of rape victims not to call it rape themselves, as if they couldn't be influenced to feel that way by rape culture just like the feminists Delgado blames have always said. Also as if the rapists are in women's studies classes or something.
Incidentally, Sowell also had a column recently where he accused liberals of giving poor, inner city black kids an idea that they should "blame" other people for their problems. The Right really believes that the liberal college elite has a lot of influence on people who have no reason to have been influenced by them.
Maybe next we'll hear how Debate and Discussion causes teen parenthood.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Hey look, a climate skeptic who doesn't know what "skeptic" means, this might be a trend of some sort

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Who gets fighting drunk in an airport bar? That's not even fun.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SedanChair posted:

Is it really that surprising? Throwing on a good drunk is about the only fun thing you can do in an airport besides eat a giant rear end unhealthy salad or hamburger. You're right it's not fun, but it's marginally more fun than the set of other things you can do there. I swear if every airport had free public wi-fi, it would cut down a lot on people doing hosed up poo poo in airports.

This doesn't excuse getting that drunk, though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Race Realists posted:

you know what i love? liberal strawmen

What's funny is this image is essentially some jackass whining obnoxiously about other people not making accommodations for their own bigotry.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

It's too late, though. The story is already out there! Which is...if you offer someone millions of dollars to make a movie they want to make they'll take the money?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Seriously all there is to yell at there is other miserable travelers and poorly paid security officers/misc. workers. Where's the fun in starting poo poo with people just as upset they're there as you?

Also I wonder if this will be a chance for him to consider how lucky he is that, say, unlike the facade of Trayvon Martin he built up, when he got intoxicated and disorderly he wasn't shot in the chest by a man who took national outrage to get brought in at all, and maybe make him reflect on his perceptions of cases like tha-ahahaha so how long until he tries to say Obama made this happen?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I expect a Kelly cartoon at least.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, sorry how is that supporting single payer? If Levin is supporting the idea of vouchers, doesn't that mean privatizing health insurance? I mean, that is what Republicans have been advocating to happen to medicare all this time, isn't it?

I think "vouchers" is right-wing code for "don't allow the government to negotiate price like an insurance company" so the medical industry can bill the government for all they want while still denying care to the sick when their vouchers don't cover the full inflated sucker price.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Vouchers" is just the magical republican cure all to any governmental issue. You still have the government paying for it (since even they know charity isn't going to cover squat and someone has to foot the bill for things we are accustomed to like social security and education) but the glorious private industry provides the service since they are always more efficient. I don't think it's any more thought out than another cash grab where they funnel public money into the pockets of their friends.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 22, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Are people actually having a serious debate that includes the words intersex and genderqueer?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

While Alex Jones might not like the state-sponsored homosex of the future in The Forever War he'd probably really be into the idea of being able to purchase military grade weaponry for self-defense in a city where the police have pretty much given up on stopping crime and leave it to civilians to take care of themselves.

Just thinking about that .50 (whatever) caliber revolver that shoots flechette rounds is probably giving Jones a tingle right now.

I think airports are a surreal, peaceful environment to explore. No one is there to steal poo poo, murder or really do any crimes (except the baggage handlers). Thousands of people from all over the world who just want to take naps until their next flight, it's amazing. I talked to some Malaysian model who was studying French and about to move to a different country for her... dance career? She was obsessive about her penmanship not being good enough for the letter she had written, which was genuinely impeccable.

It's like the exact opposite of a city bus stop.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Ambient+1+Music+For+Airports/2361433

This scene from the Good Ol' Days would have bigots of today writing angry letters to Clearchannel or whatever totally-not-censorship bureau they have on speed dial.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 22, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I love chilling at airports. Relax, have a drink, read a book, surf the web. Super easy. It helps that I am normally also getting paid while I am doing it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm sure if we privatized the VA things would go much smoother!!!

Maybe? The VA system is notorious for slow, badly delivered medical service. Setting up a government-run insurance program for Vets and then moving them into the public hospital system isn't a terrible solution to the problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wonder why the VA is so slow... If only there were a post recently outlining every single bill trying to funnel more money into the VA that's been shot down by Republicans...

(it might be the other thread, so my snarkiness is probably unwarranted)

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 22, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shbobdb posted:

I love chilling at airports. Relax, have a drink, read a book, surf the web. Super easy. It helps that I am normally also getting paid while I am doing it.

Airports used to be awesome when you could wait with your family near the gate before they leave, or wait at the gate and see their plane pull up and be like one of the first things they see after coming out of the gate.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ErIog posted:

Is it really that surprising? Throwing on a good drunk is about the only fun thing you can do in an airport besides eat a giant rear end unhealthy salad or hamburger. You're right it's not fun, but it's marginally more fun than the set of other things you can do there. I swear if every airport had free public wi-fi, it would cut down a lot on people doing hosed up poo poo in airports.

This doesn't excuse getting that drunk, though.

Getting drunk in the airport is a commitment to keep the ball rolling, though, because sobering up at 10,000 feet is the worst.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Radish posted:

"Vouchers" is just the magical republican cure all to any governmental issue. You still have the government paying for it (since even they know charity isn't going to cover squat and someone has to foot the bill for things we are accustomed to like social security and education) but the glorious private industry provides the service since they are always more efficient. I don't think it's any more thought out than another cash grab where they funnel public money into the pockets of their friends.

This is what I've always thought was the case.

Like school vouchers are just a way to turn primary education into a for-profit business on the government's dime and have nothing whatsoever to do with school choice or quality of education.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think they're sincere about school choice, they just want all the choices to be terrible, profitable and maybe a little bit Jesus.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think they're sincere about school choice, they just want all the choices to be terrible, profitable and maybe a little bit Jesus.

I agree, they want to be able to choose to send their kids to a de facto segregated school without having to move districts.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Are people actually having a serious debate that includes the words intersex and genderqueer?

...yeah? What? I don't get the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow is "intersex" somehow tumblr SJW now?